6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

My neighbor just got a Sixth Gen and I must say...

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2004, 09:35 AM

My neighbor just got a Sixth Gen and I must say...

The thing is built like "crrrrrap."<-----insert fat bastard accent here. I live in an apartment building and share an underground garage with about 40 other cars, adn there is max from each generation in it. Anyway, my neighbor who has had every gen max, (thats all he drives) came home with shiny new 6th gen a few days ago. It is a real boat. I can't think of it handling well due to its enormous size. Last night when coming home, I walked over to it and examined it, knocked it with my knuckle and I could tell that the sheet metal on my 4th gen is thicker. when I tapped his 6th gen, the sheet metal seemed PAPER thin. One could definately push their thumb into and dent it, just imagine waxing and denting it if not careful enough. plastic EVERYWHERE! I know that maxima's werent built like bentleys, but sheesh! Where is the quality going. I really felt good about my 4th gen after my encounter with the 6th gen
Old 01-27-2004, 09:51 AM
Hooooooonda.....

The only bad thing about the 6th gen is the look of it, very bulky. Everything else about it I like, I drove it for a few miles and I have to say I like it. Is your name supposed to be formEraccordman or is formoraccordman correct?
Old 01-27-2004, 09:54 AM

yep, its supposed to me that, but I was a little tipsy when I signed up. :-)
Old 01-27-2004, 09:55 AM

I like the look of the 6 gen....nice improvement although a little pricy. I would perfer a nice 5 series (even if used) over the maxima just because of the price. I cant picture sheetmetal bieng that thin though and still having it weigh a lot. I agree with you on the plastic...everyone is going crazy with plastic, like the new chevy avalanches and nissan frontiers and such. Soon we will have cars made from all plastic that weigh like only 1000 pounds...Lol, nah
Old 01-27-2004, 10:28 AM
Always sunny in philly

I think the 6th gens are very nice; i looked at the metal myself and im not sure that its THAT thin, but i do understand what you mean. Overall the maxima went from a sports family sedan to----> luxury sedan. I just think the overall look is very nice.
Old 01-27-2004, 10:29 AM

My Dad was telling me that the 6th Gen is getting some bad reviews such as quality and such...going as far as calling it the "Minima"
Old 01-27-2004, 10:31 AM
Pizda Boy

haha you guys are experts i guess. . . all you gotta do is tap the car with you knuckles and everything reveals. . .
too funny....
Old 01-27-2004, 10:34 AM

LOL, I don't think I am expert, I was just abloe to tell the difference, and the sheetmetal is thinner, it just gave me the impression of "cheap".
Old 01-27-2004, 10:35 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

its nice looking car the interior is not as good and its the first one produce here i still like them coming over from japan but i guess its not going to happen
Old 01-27-2004, 10:49 AM

Its no suprise that you dont like the 6th gen. It is a completely different car besides the name(comparing it to a 4th gen). I also agree with what your saying. Ive seen a handfull of 6th gens and only liked one of them so far. It was all black with what seemed to be a chrome package. I am not going to buy another maxima if it continues to go in this downward spiral.

My dream maxima would be a 1999 maxima with a 90 SE backend.

I do like the infinity G35. So that would be my next purchase if the maxima doesnt shape up by the time im ready to buy again.
Old 01-27-2004, 10:51 AM

I drove the g-35 last weekend. My gf's cousin has one. It's a blast, on rails, but very uncomfortable.
Old 01-27-2004, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by FormorAccordMan
I drove the g-35 last weekend. My gf's cousin has one. It's a blast, on rails, but very uncomfortable.

what do u mean? it doesnt feel like my lazyboy recliner? (like my max does now)

as long as it comes with leather buckets i should be ok.
and hey lets assume that the maxima comes back around so i can continue to buy/enjoy dont want to assume the maxima will just fade away.
But I think it will.

...i dont really have a lazyboy recliner, just trying to emphasize.
Old 01-27-2004, 11:08 AM

yeah, i guess I am so used to my max, BUT, the seats are very narrow and hug just a little to much, and I am not even a fatass, 5'8 170lbs
Old 01-27-2004, 11:26 AM

I'm not liking the 6th gens design either...Its a boat.
Old 01-27-2004, 11:35 AM

6th gen . It looks like a half of an egg on wheels. Hideous front end facia. Whoever did the design and concept of this model must have been on some type of illegal substance. I would love to move up to a 5th gen.
Old 01-27-2004, 11:57 AM

yea i agree with u, the new max don't look good at all, they probably did like half of the car in plastic for weight reduction but its sooooooooooooo uuuugly. i would rather go with a 5 gen if i wanted to upgrade and that's my opinion until the new max comes out(7th gen), but i don't think anything will change. i won't even be suprised if the 7th gen runs on electric.
Old 01-27-2004, 12:07 PM

Yeah...the 7th gen won't probably be here til '06. There's a major jump in design from 5th gen to 6th gen. I was hoping they would be maintaing the 5th gen body lines and just make some refinements on the front and rear ends.

Originally Posted by maxima98vspec
yea i agree with u, the new max don't look good at all, they probably did like half of the car in plastic for weight reduction but its sooooooooooooo uuuugly. i would rather go with a 5 gen if i wanted to upgrade and that's my opinion until the new max comes out(7th gen), but i don't think anything will change. i won't even be suprised if the 7th gen runs on electric.
Old 01-27-2004, 01:34 PM

This styling thing is soooo funny. Almost everyone who bashes the 6th Gen styling has a 5th Gen, or maybe a 4th. People who aren't locked into that (old) styling almost universally love it.

I have a last-generation Honda Gold Wing, and when that style came out, all the previous-gen Gold Wingers thought it looked like hell and swore they'd die before getting one. They came around. Then, when the styling changed again in 2002, there was the same outrage. They're buying them like hotcakes now.

I had a 4th Gen Maxima and was ho-hum about the 5th Gen ... it was just plain boring to me. The 6th, however, brought me back.

Oh, and that guy saying he'd consider a 5-series because of the Maxima's cost ... you must not have priced a 5 lately ... I could almost buy 2 well-eqipped Maxima SE's for what I paid for my 540i!

Mike
Old 01-27-2004, 01:58 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by maxima98vspec
yeah the new Maximas look like an Altima on steroids. It's ugly and maintains no styling characteristics of the previous generations which is a total crime. i will never buy above an '03.
Old 01-27-2004, 03:09 PM
92 SE-R 02 SE

Originally Posted by Maxima97_MD
yeah the new Maximas look like an Altima on steroids. It's ugly and maintains no styling characteristics of the previous generations which is a total crime. i will never buy above an '03.
Im not a huge fan of the 04s, but to each his own. For the $$ a loaded 6th gen cost, I'll roll in a G35 thank you very much!

Old 01-27-2004, 03:30 PM

One could definately push their thumb into and dent it, just imagine waxing and denting it if not careful enough.
Clearly you have no idea what you are talking about.
Old 01-27-2004, 04:13 PM

Formor, have your friend take you for a drive in that '04 Maxima and you will see just how un-sporty it isn't.

As for cheap sheet metal... you are aware of the exceptional NHTSA crash test ratings, are you not? Denting the '04 Maxima by waxing it? How absurd.
Old 01-27-2004, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by Mike_TX
This styling thing is soooo funny. Almost everyone who bashes the 6th Gen styling has a 5th Gen, or maybe a 4th. People who aren't locked into that (old) styling almost universally love it.

I have a last-generation Honda Gold Wing, and when that style came out, all the previous-gen Gold Wingers thought it looked like hell and swore they'd die before getting one. They came around. Then, when the styling changed again in 2002, there was the same outrage. They're buying them like hotcakes now.
Yes, I also find the 6th gen styling bashing to be very entertaining.

Agressive & radical change is often challenged and not easily accepted.... but give it a bit more time, I'm bett'in the same folks who now feel the 6th gen is sooooo ugly, will find themselves changing their opinion in time.
Old 01-27-2004, 05:35 PM
Banned

First of all I'll just say that I really love the looks of my 5.5 gen. I have also really grown to love the 6th gen. The only thing I have a hard time getting used to is the grill, but many 6th gen owners have fixed this by installing the trendz grill with the nissan logo on it (my favorite). When I am finished with my 03, I will either get a 6th gen or whatever gen is out at that time. Even if the styling continues to change radically, the reputation and attitude associated with the maxima doesen't change. That is what I like most about the maxima. Most people are impressed when they hear you drive a maxima.
Old 01-27-2004, 05:41 PM

Its funny how the 6th gen owners came all the way in here to defend their Maximas. Oh well!!! It still looks like a half an egg on wheels. But I'm sure it rides really nice. I agree with 92 SE-R 02 SE, I'd get a G35 coupe before I even think about getting an '04. But looks like I'll be stuck with my 4th gen for a while because I have plans with the VQ30DE.
Old 01-27-2004, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by 2DaMax
Its funny how the 6th gen owners came all the way in here to defend their Maximas. Oh well!!! It still looks like a half an egg on wheels. But I'm sure it rides really nice. I agree with 92 SE-R 02 SE, I'd get a G35 coupe before I even think about getting an '04. But looks like I'll be stuck with my 4th gen for a while because I have plans with the VQ30DE.
I think it's the non 6th gens coming all the way in here "6th gen forum" to bash the 6th gen.

I find it pretty amusing.

I have a 99 SE limited and a 6th Gen SE. Different cars ...

Sound like old men: I remember when ... They had crome metal bumpers ... and the car was made out of steel !!!... we used to walk ten miles to school in the snow ... fuel injection, ha just give a good old 4b ... and what's with those darn blue xeon thingama-jiggers, head lights should be yellow like they always have been ...

I love all Maximas but each has it's time, considering that it's moved up market, I'm kinda glad most people in here don't like it.
Old 01-27-2004, 06:48 PM

Over the weekend I drove both a G35 4 dr and a 04 Maxima, both 6sp. And I am sold on the maxima. Not because of the price, but because of the ride and clutch/tranny. Two things that would make it better:
1) NAV+6speed without Elite package
2) Replace silver console with black one.
Yes, Maxima is bigger, but only 46LB heavier then a G35 an 0.3 sec slower 0-60, but in snow....a much better option.
Old 01-27-2004, 07:08 PM

My Max is purrfect.

The thing is built like "crrrrrap."<-----insert fat bastard accent here. I live in an apartment building and share an underground garage with about 40 other cars, adn there is max from each generation in it. Anyway, my neighbor who has had every gen max, (thats all he drives) came home with shiny new 6th gen a few days ago. It is a real boat. I can't think of it handling well due to its enormous size. Last night when coming home, I walked over to it and examined it, knocked it with my knuckle and I could tell that the sheet metal on my 4th gen is thicker. when I tapped his 6th gen, the sheet metal seemed PAPER thin. One could definately push their thumb into and dent it, just imagine waxing and denting it if not careful enough. plastic EVERYWHERE! I know that maxima's werent built like bentleys, but sheesh! Where is the quality going. I really felt good about my 4th gen after my encounter with the 6th gen
To each his own. I love my baby and no matter what you say, I will continue to do so! Show me a better road car (not dragster) for the money, with its room, styling , comfort, quickness, and features. You can't do it.
Old 01-27-2004, 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by 2DaMax
Uh... came all the way in here? Are you aware that this is the 6th Gen. Maxima forum?
Old 01-27-2004, 11:33 PM
*moderator*

Thanks for all the entertaining reading, you guys made my night!!!
Old 01-28-2004, 01:18 AM

Not sure how that happened but this thread appeared in the 4th gen forum initially. Perhaps, the moderator MOVED the thread to the 6th gen forum and that's how you guys found it. I never...never.....ever come to the 6th gen forums, just not interested in it. I hardly even come to the 5th gen forum. Thus, this will be my last reply to this thread.
Old 01-28-2004, 02:20 AM
Go BUCKS!!!

...Last night when coming home, I walked over to it and examined it, knocked it with my knuckle and I could tell that the sheet metal on my 4th gen is thicker. when I tapped his 6th gen, the sheet metal seemed PAPER thin. One could definately push their thumb into and dent it, just imagine waxing and denting it if not careful enough. plastic EVERYWHERE! I know that maxima's werent built like bentleys, but sheesh! Where is the quality going...
I think this is one of the more funny things I've read. Especially coming from someone who names themself "FormorAccordMan" After having worked for Honda in Marysville, Ohio in the past, where the Accord and Civic are producted and speaking with numerous employees about Honda quality...this guy talks about the quality of the sheet metal of the new 6th generation. Take a look down the side of any Honda product from the last 14 years or so...bet you'll see more than one dent. Honda has used the thinnest sheet metal for their body panels for years. Secondly, if I saw you walking up to my car and just started knocking on it with your knuckles, I'd have to say you'd have an a$$ whipping coming. Who do you think you are touching someone else's car, especially their brand new car?
Old 01-28-2004, 04:27 AM

The 6th gen maxima is not an ugly car. A Chevy SSR is an ugly car. A Pontiac Aztec is an ugly car. The 6th gen maxima is just a "different" car than what we are used to. It's hard for me to say this, but the 4DSC name needs to be shifted over to the Altima. The new max is obviosly built more for luxury than sport. But that is fine. To me, as long as Nissan is making a buck and continues to put out other impressive cars (like 350Z, G35 sedan/coupe, etc...) with the profits, its ok with me. Nissan was loosing big $$ sales to Bonnevilles, Gran Prixs, Tauruses, and other cars that have decent engines and comfortable rides, but less than stellar handling. I think the new maxima has done a good job of stealing some sales. You guys have surely noticed that some of the people driving the 6th gen are older than before. The 4th/5th were awesome cars, but they carried a young and fast image that older people were not attracted to. I would look for the Altima to slowly refine itself into what the 4th and 5th gen maximas were. It's just a changing of the times. If you look at the BIG picture, Nissan did this to make itself more profitable, not to make us mad.
Old 01-28-2004, 08:23 AM
is invisible

I had a 4th Gen Maxima and was ho-hum about the 5th Gen ... it was just plain boring to me. The 6th, however, brought me back.

This thread is just another opportunity for non-6th gen owners to see how creatively they can bash the 6th gen; it sounds like a bunch of whining 16yr olds.

I'll admit that the 6th gen took some time getting used, but so did the 5th, and the 4th. Face it, things change, things get better, move on. The platform of the 2k3 Maxima dates back to 1995.
Old 01-28-2004, 08:30 AM
is invisible

Originally Posted by 04EliteSE
Formor, have your friend take you for a drive in that '04 Maxima and you will see just how un-sporty it isn't.

As for cheap sheet metal... you are aware of the exceptional NHTSA crash test ratings, are you not? Denting the '04 Maxima by waxing it? How absurd.
Hehe, that IRS really hinders handling!

It looks like it might handle like a boat., but after test-driving one with 3 pro-GM passengers, we changed our minds....we were completely impressed.
Old 01-28-2004, 09:40 AM

Oh, and that guy saying he'd consider a 5-series because of the Maxima's cost ... you must not have priced a 5 lately ... I could almost buy 2 well-eqipped Maxima SE's for what I paid for my 540i!

Mike
BTW it was 4 geners this time, all Maximas from 4th gen to 6th Gen especially 5th and 6th have love it or hate it styling. Nissan has always been daring with its styling since the 00 Max which I like about them. Look at Accord etc. boring to look at nothing for people to talk about either bad nor good! When they look at a 5th gens rear they say interesting and a 6th gens front and say the same thing
Old 01-28-2004, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by jbgoodmax
I think it's the non 6th gens coming all the way in here "6th gen forum" to bash the 6th gen.

I find it pretty amusing.

I have a 99 SE limited and a 6th Gen SE. Different cars ...

Sound like old men: I remember when ... They had crome metal bumpers ... and the car was made out of steel !!!... we used to walk ten miles to school in the snow ... fuel injection, ha just give a good old 4b ... and what's with those darn blue xeon thingama-jiggers, head lights should be yellow like they always have been ...

I love all Maximas but each has it's time, considering that it's moved up market, I'm kinda glad most people in here don't like it.
Actually the move upmarket started in 02!
http://www.nctd.com/review-intro.cfm?ReviewID=1137

2002 Nissan Maxima
Numerous enhancements improve Nissan's flagship.

By Mitch McCullough, Editor-in-Chief

Overview

With its free-revving V6 engine, the Nissan Maxima has always been the mid-size sedan of choice for those who place driving enjoyment high on their priority list. In fact, the Maxima outsells the V6 versions of the Toyota Camry and Honda Accord.

The 2002 Nissan Maxima is more luxurious, more powerful, and a little sportier than last year's model. The Maxima is moving upscale as it makes room below for the Altima, Nissan's other mid-size sedan. This trend toward luxury and power can be seen in numerous enhancements to this year's model.

An all-new 3.5-liter V6 engine delivers 255 horsepower to the 2002 Maxima. That's a lot of ponies, and it's a smooth and sophisticated engine. The interior has been upgraded. To differentiate this year's model, the styling has been revised: The 2002 Maxima gets a new grille, revised front and rear fascias, and new side sills.
Old 01-28-2004, 03:10 PM

"In fact, the Maxima outsells the V6 versions of the Toyota Camry and Honda Accord. "

...this I didnt know. Says alot for the 5G vs the AV6/Camry V6.

As for the 6G, I used to think it was horrendously designed but the styling has begun to grow on me. That said, I'd definitely get the new TL over the new Max but, the jury's out on the G35S (as far as I'm concerned).

Especially, after just having test drove the new TL.
Old 01-28-2004, 10:19 PM

For goodness sakes let's think here. The car is bigger than ever, it's more powerful, has the same and a couple more features for about the same dough as the last gen. Of course things get cut in the process. Hence it being built here on the Altima platform. Styling is subjective, won't go there. But the new Max is not the only car with people *****ing about it's quality and feel. TL/CL owners have for 3 years now. Benz owners hate the feel of the new cars to the rock solid old ones.
Old 01-28-2004, 11:14 PM

My '04 SE is my 4th Maxima... I had a '90, a '95, and a '99... this is by far the best one IMO.

Quick Reply: My neighbor just got a Sixth Gen and I must say...