6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Any regets?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2004, 08:06 AM

Any regets?

I am seriously looking at the new max. Anyone have regets in purchasing their 04? Getting an option/ not getting an option. Buying the SL and now want the SE or the opposite?
Old 02-11-2004, 08:09 AM

I regret not getting the navigation..
Old 02-11-2004, 08:37 AM

at first i regretted not waiting for an SE for the sportshift automatic, but i just test drove one, and i can totally live without it...the delay is too long for me...

like my friend says, if you want to shift, don't buy an automatic...
Old 02-11-2004, 09:23 AM

I regret getting the navigation system with the 6 disk changer. I am really dissappointed with the sound system in the 6th gen. The 5th gen system sounded so much better. I am sure you have read the thread with the skipping cd in cold weather. Also with this system it is going to be a pain in the a** to install any upgrades to the sound system. BIG error in judgement on my part. Yes the navigation is very useful but I should have thought about it a little more. You can purchase an aftermarket screen/dvd/entertainment system and install it yourself ... might be cheaper
Old 02-11-2004, 09:26 AM
andymax95

i regret not getting the navigation, not for it's use but for the colored display because the stock orange screen is just so damn tacky and makes the inside look like sh*t IMO.

Old 02-11-2004, 09:55 AM

You guy really feel that the nav system is worth an extra $2000?
Old 02-11-2004, 10:40 AM

I had major contemplating going on between the SL and SE when I bought my '04 this past Oct. I ended up with the SL since I liked the slightly "warmer" feel of the interior with the wood trim (although fake) and I due to the condition of the roads in the midwest, I felt that I may grow tired of the firmer suspension of the SE over potholes. However, if I lived in the south with better roads, I no question would have gone with the SE.

This past winter has been pretty brutal and has made havoc of the roads and highways with plenty of potholes and buckling from the cold. Couldn't have been happier with my decision. The SL has a very compliant suspension while still having decent handling characteristics (would have been nice to have the 5-speed auto, though).

Good luck with your decision.
Old 02-11-2004, 10:47 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I'm missing not having NAV as well. I just recently moved to the DC area, so that is a major contributor to that feeling though.
Old 02-11-2004, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by mikenatas
at first i regretted not waiting for an SE for the sportshift automatic, but i just test drove one, and i can totally live without it...the delay is too long for me...

like my friend says, if you want to shift, don't buy an automatic...

I have to agree Mike. When I test drove the SE, the sportshift had about a full second delay. Much too long.

I wish I had Navi too.
Old 02-11-2004, 11:07 AM

I also regret not getting a light color like white or silver. This damn winter is killing my majestic Blue. Don't get me wrong blue is beautiful but just so damn hard to keep clean
Old 02-11-2004, 12:10 PM
Banned

I too have a slight regret in getting a black one. Forgot how much work it is to keep it clean! But other than that I love this car and will just have to find the extra time to keep it respectable.

I have had many compliments on the ride, styling, performance and navi system. I also get a lot of compliments on the stereo system, even though I do believe that some people may be having problems with the 6 disk changer. At least I haven't heard of this one eating disk and they are replacing problem units.
Old 02-11-2004, 12:13 PM

recurring theme here seems to be not getting the nav. Is this because you really what the nav or that the orange screen just sucks?

Any with the SL reget not getting the SE. My issue is that I think the 5 speed trans is going to be a better trans for all around driving
Old 02-11-2004, 01:05 PM
Banned

The orange screen does suck. Plus the navi is so cool to play with and test out peoples knowledge of an area they already think that they know. Like betcha didn't know that there was a lake over there or what's this areas official name kinda stuff! Also nice to see where ATM's and gas stations are.

It was a tough decision to give up the stick, but I went for the smoother ride kind of thing and don't really regret it.

I do know that if I had a stick I would wanted them to make it heated like the wheel. I love that warm wheel on a cold Michigan morning!
Old 02-11-2004, 02:15 PM

My biggest regret is believing my &#$@! dealer that my Max would BE HERE TODAY. Argggghhhhh.... Sorry guys, just venting.
Old 02-11-2004, 05:51 PM
*moderator*

I bought the SL and I debate every day whether I should have gotten the SE and the Nav. The Nav is cool but $2000? I had navigtion in my last car and I always seem to know where I'm going anyways...the orange display looks kind of dated and bland I will admit. As for the sportshift, I've grown out of wanting it so bad. I drive my Max fast enough as it is, that would get me in trouble....
So I guess overall I am happy with my purchase...I still do like the rear buckets......
Old 02-12-2004, 09:28 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I really deliberated over the SL vs. the SE. In the end, despite all the potholes in and around Washington DC, I opted for the SE. I liked the look of the larger tires and really wanted the five speed automatic with sport shift.

The ride takes getting used to, but I'm hoping to remedy that.
Old 02-12-2004, 01:33 PM

I've only owned my Maxima for a couple weeks and so far I have been extremely pleased! The Max is a blast to drive, it looks great & being a tall guy, having plenty of leg room is a huge bonus! Of course coming from a tiny Honda Civic, anything has more leg room.
The only things I'm not thrilled about is the terrible rattling coming from the back panel & it's not the most economical car.
I'm definately going to be looking into adding an aftermarket grille when I see one I like & getting that darn rattling fixed!
Old 02-12-2004, 01:48 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Gas mileage gets better after 3 months or so. You need to put in 6-8k miles before the engine is broken in and gets reasonable mileage. Also the cold weather makes the mileage absolutley terrible if you're not running for hours on the highway. The engine never gets a chance to warm up with short trips around town.

I used to use premium. But with the cold weather I switched back to regular. May as well since most of it is just heading out the tailpipe when the weather is cold.
Old 02-12-2004, 05:34 PM

Well, I don't have any regrets with my SE Elite, Majestic Blue, with Black interior. However, if I were to have bought the car I ordered, I would have some regrets. I ordered an SE in blue with the j pack, and frost interior... I really don't like that color combo after seeing it. And apparently no body that can afford a maxima in the last 6 months has liked that combo either, as the car is still on the lot. lol!

I'm really glad that I got the rear buckets, I almost never carry any body or anything with me, as I have a truck to haul stuff. When someone is back there it is nice, and the one touch windows and heated seats are really great back there. Plus the rear visor is a sweet little trick to make people go, "WTF?" I've actually ridden in the back for a while, as I went to San Diego in it, and it was comfortable. I wasn't too impressed with the bench in the car I test drove.

Sure the color is dark, and it isn't the easiest to care for, but I have the products and don't mind the time needed to detail it nicely. It also helps I've only driven it a few times since it has snowed. Well, a little more this past week or so since it has been nice, and probably won't snow again. I drive my eclipse when the weather is bad, or my truck when it is really bad.

My biggest regret about this car is not the car, it is the Dealership. I loved my salesman, he was about 65 years old and was just a great guy. But the fleet manager was a **** as was everyone else I delt with there, and they can't seem to fix the rear deck rattle after a half a dozen attempts, plus they broke my shift **** while fixing a dash rattle. They don't seem like they know or care about what they are doing.
Old 02-12-2004, 06:29 PM

You're wise to ask this question here prior to your purchase...hopefully you'll be able to read between the lines in some instances as well as decifer what is an honest post from fiction.

I think that many of the people that post here are on the younger side (20's to 30's). This is no knock on younger individuals but I think that many people have dropped their standards a bit for style. The 04 Max, in my opinion, is the best looking sedan (in this price range or maybe even a little higher price range) on the road. They did a great job in the design, IMO.

I ordered my vehicle in July, rec'd it in Oct. My treks to the dealership began at about 500 miles. Numerous rattles, creaks, crackling, ticking noises coming from various areas of the vehicle (Headliner, 3-4 different places, rear deck, they did the TSB..worse than ever, Rear view mirror,can you believe that, seat belt tensioners (near driver and passenger head), storage compartment cover between rear bucket seats, it goes on and on.

If you're willing to potentially deal with many problems and rely on Nissan Service to 'make it better' go for it...it is a beautiful car. Great to drive, the power is fantastic, handling even better. A little stiff but I don't mind that in a sport tuned car.

I just wish I hadn't done it. What's worse is that this is my first purchase in 13 years (my honda with 200k miles makes less noise). I may be strange but I care for my vehicles, I kind of develop a bond, must have someting to do with pride of ownership of such a great machine that gives you such performance, reliability, and exhiliration.

I guess that it may be similar to how a Cowboy must have felt about his horse...a trusted friend, reliable, and at times fantastic to ride.

I feel like my horse has cancer and whats worse...the Nissan Oncololgy Dept could care less.
Old 02-12-2004, 07:20 PM

i regret paying for the GPS. It is cool, but I am seldom lost...just a cool toy. My quality sucks so bad...wish I had waited for 2004 TL.
Old 02-12-2004, 07:31 PM

lots of regrets!

i regret paying for the GPS. It is cool, but I am seldom lost...just a cool toy. My quality sucks so bad...wish I had waited for 2004 TL.

Paint defects. Rattles. Headlight problems. Fog on underside of GPS screen (4 times). Engine light problems. Suspension noises. Torque steer (but I knew this going in) Radiator leak. Crap dealer.

They missed the boat on quality. Seem to not care.

I 'm on my 4th Maxima. All but #4 were great.

This one is not a very good sample by far.

Prob my last Nissan.
Old 02-13-2004, 05:03 AM

Originally Posted by mikmax1

Paint defects. Rattles. Headlight problems. Fog on underside of GPS screen (4 times). Engine light problems. Suspension noises. Torque steer (but I knew this going in) Radiator leak. Crap dealer.

They missed the boat on quality. Seem to not care.

I 'm on my 4th Maxima. All but #4 were great.

This one is not a very good sample by far.

Prob my last Nissan.
Headlight problems? With the HID?
Old 02-13-2004, 06:25 PM

Like some others, I regret not getting NAV, but I wasn't willing to order a car or wait for one to show up with it.

Unlike a couple of other posters, I haven't had any problems in the almost 9,000 miles I've had my SE. No rattles, no engine problems, no nothing. And the gas mileage is great ... I average in the 22's around town and get close to 30 on the highway.

I have to admit the SE's suspension is a little edgy, but I wouldn't even consider the 4-speed trans in the SL. Not for the sportshift ... that's just a gimmick. I just figure the 5spd trans makes for peppier performance and better mileage. I also notice how much better the 18" SE wheels look everytime I see an SL.

Yep, if I could smooth out the ride just a tad without messing up the handling, I'd be a really happy boy.

Mike
Old 02-13-2004, 07:10 PM

I guess I'm one of the lucky ones. I've had just a few minor problems with my car but nothing major. I've had a few rattles most were fixed, other then the rear deck. I agree the quality in cars has gone down hill, my 95 f150 rattles less then then both my Maxima and my 00 Eclipse.

I've had no shimmy, no major problems.

Well, I had one weird problem about 2 weeks after I got the car. It would not start. Turns out it was debris in the fuel pump connector at the fuse panel. That wasn't too big of a deal, other then the fact I was 1200 miles from home, but I was visiting my brother and sister so I wasn't stuck.