6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Folding Door Mirrors - DUH!

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2004, 04:55 AM
Banned

Folding Door Mirrors - DUH!

I drove off this morning and forgot to open my door mirrors until I got on the expressway. I started to blend into the freeway, looked in my drivers side mirror and saw black (my black interior). Boy,I thought I was right up on a semi and started to go back to the right! Looked over to the passenger mirror and saw my own reflection. Thought for a second that I was already dead and was having an out of body experiance. Boy did I feel STUPID!

It got me thinking, why can't they have them programmed to open up after you reach a certain speed or make them part of the memory settings with the seat? Would Nissan have been liable had I totally freaked out and caused an accident? Or should I just have enough brains to check my mirrors before I drive off!
Old 02-19-2004, 05:19 AM
Banned

no i don't think nissan would be liable at all. they would label it as driver Incompetence.

thats like saying i forgot to scrape the ice off my windows and got in an accident and killed people, but its not my fault should nissan have made the defrost feature automatic and come on at a certain temp. **** no.

or should your headlights automatically come on when its dark out, just because the dumbass driving the car doesn't turn them on/remember too?

Nissan can't help it that dumb people drive there cars.

Driver Incompetence Period.
Old 02-19-2004, 05:27 AM

Originally Posted by jaydabee
I drove off this morning and forgot to open my door mirrors until I got on the expressway. I started to blend into the freeway, looked in my drivers side mirror and saw black (my black interior). Boy,I thought I was right up on a semi and started to go back to the right! Looked over to the passenger mirror and saw my own reflection. Thought for a second that I was already dead and was having an out of body experiance. Boy did I feel STUPID!

It got me thinking, why can't they have them programmed to open up after you reach a certain speed or make them part of the memory settings with the seat? Would Nissan have been liable had I totally freaked out and caused an accident? Or should I just have enough brains to check my mirrors before I drive off!

Hmmm...I am gonna have to vote for your brain .

As for Nissan being liable -- I doubt it. All mirrors can be folded in, and one is expected to adjust his/her mirrors prior to driving. You have the advantage of unfolding them with a button, where as most people would have to pull over (at least for the passanger mirror), so I'd say that Nissan has already compensated for diminished brain activity. Nonetheless, automatic unfolding, past a certain speed, would be wise.

Glad you came out with only an imagined out of body experience, and nothing more serious.
Old 02-19-2004, 05:39 AM
Banned

That's kinda what I thought too, but you know how people love to sue. Brings to mind the hot McDonalds coffee thing, didn't stop them from scarying the pants off off McDonalds did it?

And aren't there laws that say that a manufacturer must have door mirrors? By having mirrors that can be powered shut without automatically having the ability to open as opposed to a manual mirror that stays in place might give someone a legal loophole. You don't have to actually win in court sometimes, just threaten.

God knows I hope they wouldn't respond by putting another warning sticker on the car to remind you to open your mirrors. Now that would be stupid.
Old 02-19-2004, 06:59 AM

folding once the car reaches a certain speed is a bad idea...i don't want
the car doing more than it needs to do automatically...

but i wouldn't be surprised if someone tries to sue...
Old 02-19-2004, 12:19 PM

I wouldn't mind if the mirrors folded in when the car was turned off, and out when it was turned on... but what do I know... i'm just too lazy to flip the switch...
Old 02-19-2004, 01:40 PM

I would not want my mirrors to fold out when I'm moving. I've purposely pulled them in while driving to give me clearance in tight spaces.

As for the liablity, I think not. Remember you are supposed to get into your car, put on your seatbelt, adjust your mirror and then place the key in the ignition and start it. Not, hop in your car, start it up, drive half a block, put on your seatbelt, while you are going 25mph, and then when you need them look to make sure your mirrors are adjusted.
Old 02-19-2004, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by 04EliteSE
I wouldn't mind if the mirrors folded in when the car was turned off, and out when it was turned on... but what do I know... i'm just too lazy to flip the switch...
I think that this is easy to do with 1 relay. My remote start installer checked out the open/close switch. The switch just changes the polarity of the wires that head for the mirrors. With a relay you could change polarity depending on whether the acc power was on or off.

If you pull the switch and examine it with a multimeter you will easily get it figured out.

I thought long and hard about doing it and figured that I wouldn't like it. What about when washing the car. I don't want to have to leave the key on to polish the mirror, so I just use the switch when I park anywhere but my own garage.

You could get it done for less than $100 by a remote car starter installer. They have the know how and all the parts required.