6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Oh my!

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2004, 09:33 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Oh my!

I just bought a new black SE. My choice was between the maxima and lincoln LS and to be honest I have always been a ford guy. But the lincoln V6 is nowhere near the maxima and the V8 stickered over 10K more. We have 3 girls 11, 7 and 1, a little tight with the car seat but not bad at all. The car has edge, sporty, luxurious,stout brakes and fast. But I bet I didn't have to tell you guys any of that. Only thing is I get people flashing their high beams thinking my xenon light are on hi, but not. Oh and there is a ton of buttons to figure out. Great car!
Old 02-28-2004, 09:49 PM

Like you, I feel Ford puts out a good product. My last three trucks have been Fords. I just bought an '04 supercab 4 door Ranger Edge earlier this month.

The LS is a fine car. Were I forced to buy an American nameplate, it just might be my choice. But, like you, I feel the Maxima is a better deal for the money, and is a car I have loved (in all its generations) since it first appeared over twenty years ago..

Enjoy your new Maxima!
Old 02-29-2004, 02:21 PM

I don't think that there is any fix to the what appears to be your headlights on hi. It has something to do with the high intensity lights. Knowing of what I speak, those lights are really tough on the older drivers whose eyes develop a corona problem with oncoming lights. Also, their eyes are more sensitive to the light as well. For those of you who have reached their "golden years" (what a crock), there is a supplement which will help you with your night vision or the lack thereof. During WWII, RAF pilots who flew night missions over Germany used to pig out on bilberry jam because bilberries improve night vision. I had this concretely confirmed by my opthamologist who remarked on the great circulation to my eyes in spite of my advanced years. I have been using bilberry supplements for years with apparent success. And I must say that my night vision is much better than a lot of drivers I know who are much younger than I. Semperfi
Old 02-29-2004, 03:06 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

My drivers side lamp has issues with beam pattern after its been on for a few hours. Once in high beam mode it will not return to the low beam mode unless its left to sit for a half hour or so.

It happened to the original unit, and the second uint they installed. I'm going back for my 3rd unit with my next oil change. Also the mechanics in the shop do not know how to set the height properly. Granted it is difficult to do in the shop. There's no substitute for going out a dark road at night and doing it yourself. If you'd like a picture that shows where the adjustment screw is PM or email me.

CM.
Old 02-29-2004, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by ditchbanger
I just bought a new black SE. My choice was between the maxima and lincoln LS and to be honest I have always been a ford guy. But the lincoln V6 is nowhere near the maxima and the V8 stickered over 10K more. We have 3 girls 11, 7 and 1, a little tight with the car seat but not bad at all. The car has edge, sporty, luxurious,stout brakes and fast. But I bet I didn't have to tell you guys any of that. Only thing is I get people flashing their high beams thinking my xenon light are on hi, but not. Oh and there is a ton of buttons to figure out. Great car!
On the headlight matter, it's probably just an adjustment problem if a lot of people are flashing their lights at you.

Contrary to popular belief, HID's shouldn't blind other drivers if they're aimed right ... in fact, they have very distinct "cutoffs" at the upper edges of their beam patterns for this very reason. Older-style headlights - including most halogens - weren't as precise in this regard, and a lot of light sprayed out beyond the intended beam pattern. The HID's are so intense, though, that good adjustment is a must, and I've found lots of dealers don't know how to adjust them very well (My BMW dealer adjusted the ones on my last Bimmer and I immediately got pulled over by a trooper the first time I drove it after dark. Blinded him!).

Oh, and there's one other reason people in some parts of the country will flash you ... it falls somewhere between envy and resentment for your having something they don't ...

Mike
Old 02-29-2004, 06:31 PM

I haven't had too many people flash their h/b's at me, maybe a dozen. It's normally on dark back roads with little traffic. About half of the people flash once, and I don't do anything, and either do they. The other half flash once, then flash twice, then I flash back... that seems to scare the hell out of them.

I even had one girl who looked about 20 flash at me at about 5PM a couple weeks ago. (It was about 15 minutes before dark.) When I flashed back she pulled off the road.

I have checked the pattern on an optical aimer, so it's not that. Just people that like to be annoying.
Old 03-01-2004, 06:42 AM
Banned

No one flashes thier lights at me up here in Michigan. But last weekend I went to my parents house in rural Ohio and got flashed four times once I got into Darke County. Guess they don't have HID's down on the farm yet!
Old 03-01-2004, 09:28 AM

Depends on the road you're travelling.... If hitting a few bumps, or coming over the crest of even a slight hill, it may be enough to move the upper edge of the beam "cutoff" above the oncoming eye level.... this will most likely surprise the approaching driver.

I've only been flashed a few times... each case was in the above conditions.
Old 03-01-2004, 02:37 PM
UCF Lexus

My opinion...besides Cobras...I hate Ford