6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

shift knob loose- design problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2004, 02:49 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

shift **** loose- design problem

when i took delivery on my 2004 maxima i noticed that the shift **** was VERY loose. i have not checked other models and i'm new to nissan so i dont know if this was normal.

during the attempted repair of my broken bose cd changer (see my other post) the dealer removed the shift ****, ostensibly to provide more access to the cd unit.

when i drove home the shift **** fell off in my hand!

now that it was off i had the chance to closely examine why it was so loose.

this is caused by a DESIGN problem! on the end of the shift shaft is a detent on the rearward side of the shaft. in the inside top of the **** socket is a protruding tang. when the **** is fully inserted on to the shaft this tang presses against the shaft's detent and makes it fit tight and firm on the shaft.

so, why is it loose? the answer is the root of the design flaw. the ****, once inserted on to the shaft, is held in place by a wire snap clip that slides over the lower part of the **** and mates with 2 slots milled on the shifter shaft sides. the problem is the these slots are too high up on the shaft! in order to slide this clip on the once-secure **** has to be lifted higher up the shaft thus making the tang and detent unmate. then the klnob can rattle and turn on the shaft.

i brought this to the dealer's attention AND to nissan customer service. i described it in a clear and detailed manner so they could 1) recognize the problem and 2) make a design change to fix it. nothing has been done!

not only is this a pain in the butt but this is a SAFETY problem!

it has been over a month and no one has contacted me to say they know about the design defect and that they will fix it.

have other owners noticed this loose ****?

have you tried to get it fixed?

how does one get nissan to address design flaws such as this?

is there a nissan safety group that would take more interest?

thanks for any input and feedback!
rich painter
Old 03-02-2004, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by painter
when i took delivery on my 2004 maxima i noticed that the shift **** was VERY loose. i have not checked other models and i'm new to nissan so i dont know if this was normal.

during the attempted repair of my broken bose cd changer (see my other post) the dealer removed the shift ****, ostensibly to provide more access to the cd unit.

when i drove home the shift **** fell off in my hand!

now that it was off i had the chance to closely examine why it was so loose.

this is caused by a DESIGN problem! on the end of the shift shaft is a detent on the rearward side of the shaft. in the inside top of the **** socket is a protruding tang. when the **** is fully inserted on to the shaft this tang presses against the shaft's detent and makes it fit tight and firm on the shaft.

so, why is it loose? the answer is the root of the design flaw. the ****, once inserted on to the shaft, is held in place by a wire snap clip that slides over the lower part of the **** and mates with 2 slots milled on the shifter shaft sides. the problem is the these slots are too high up on the shaft! in order to slide this clip on the once-secure **** has to be lifted higher up the shaft thus making the tang and detent unmate. then the klnob can rattle and turn on the shaft.

i brought this to the dealer's attention AND to nissan customer service. i described it in a clear and detailed manner so they could 1) recognize the problem and 2) make a design change to fix it. nothing has been done!

not only is this a pain in the butt but this is a SAFETY problem!

it has been over a month and no one has contacted me to say they know about the design defect and that they will fix it.

have other owners noticed this loose ****?

have you tried to get it fixed?

how does one get nissan to address design flaws such as this?

is there a nissan safety group that would take more interest?

thanks for any input and feedback!
rich painter

My shift **** isn't loose, nor were the several other Maximas I drove at one time or another. I guess if it were a design flaw, it would affect all Maximas ... so I'd say yours has an installation or fitting flaw rather than a design flaw.

Maybe that's why no one is contacting you about your report. I certainly would expect them to fix it, but they probably aren't running around firing their engineers over it.

Stay after them until they get it right!

Mike
Old 03-02-2004, 08:03 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I just want to buy a nice momo shift ****.... anyone know the size and style that will work?
Old 03-03-2004, 05:12 AM

I had this same problem.. The dealer replaced my cup holder and then the shifter was loose.. I fixed it myself. Then I brought the car again to the dealer and the same **** happened. I demanded a new one.
Old 03-03-2004, 08:12 AM

I have the very same problem after having the Nav screen replaced. This lousy Service Center aslo damaged 3 other dash areas of my vehicle. I had them replace the Nave screen, reassemble the dash and fix a broken A/C register, replace the air bag cover on the steering wheel (they scratched), replace the cup holder lid between the front seats (they discolored it with a shop rag that had a solvent in it that was left sitting there.

After all of these repairs were made I picked up the car and found the shift **** loose. When I asked the service Advisor whether they had attempted to fix it her answer was "The tech says that is the way it is suppose to be". I showed it to the Service Manager and he asked "I don't know, is that normal?". He then attempted to fix it with no success. The paper work for the repairs states "Normal operational condition of vehicle" in response to the complaint.

My suggestion is to try another service center but to also call Nissan1. It may be a hassle but I,m going to document this with them and how dangerous this is...possibly in writing (if you have a lawyer friend cc it to him). They should move at that point.
Old 03-04-2004, 06:57 AM

I removed my stereo and noticed my shift **** was loose. I tried several time to re-install the **** but it was always loose and I though if was my fault. Well after trying a couple more times I was able to get the **** to click-in tight. I know the pin and grove thing seems to be too far apart but if you work with it long enough everything will snap together tight. Good luck
Old 03-04-2004, 02:12 PM

Mine isn't and never has been loose, but my dealer broke it while fixing a rattle.