6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Growl at start up?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2004, 06:36 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Growl at start up?

Hey guys,

I vaguely remember a few threads about people having problems with their car sometimes making a 'growling' or 'grinding' noise at startup... mine has recently started to do this (among many other things...) and the dealer could not (of course) recreate the problem. For those of you who had this problem, was there ever any solution found? The sound itself isn't that big of a deal, but as I recall the discussion last time was leading around to the idea that the timing chain was slipping?

Thanks
Old 03-10-2004, 05:14 AM

i get a grinding noise for a few seconds when i press the accelerator after being at rest like a stop light or so. can anyone suggest what it could be, nissan said it was the aftermarket rims, but i got those put on a while ago, and had them checked recently and thats not the problem.

can anyone suggest something
Old 03-14-2004, 08:32 AM
Banned

My '04 will make a growling type noise after start-up when the engine and climate are both very cold. It goes away within a minute or two.

I suspect that a water pump, alternator or compressor bearing or bushing is making the noise.
Old 03-14-2004, 12:06 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Thanks for the input guys... my noise started after about 1 month, and then started to become more and more common, eventually doing it even when it wasn't cold. I know my dealer will never be able to replicate the problem so I guess I'm stuck with it.
Old 03-14-2004, 01:10 PM

timing chain?
Old 03-14-2004, 02:21 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Same problem here, like a growling. Wife's car and she thinks it has to do with steering, but I'm like you guys I've only noticed it right after a cold start up and acceleration. Going to the dealer tomorrow but the problem is almost impossible to make happen.

sg
Old 03-14-2004, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by aquacure
Same problem here, like a growling. Wife's car and she thinks it has to do with steering, but I'm like you guys I've only noticed it right after a cold start up and acceleration. Going to the dealer tomorrow but the problem is almost impossible to make happen.

sg
The best thing you can do on stuff like this is take it to the dealer once or twice. Even if they "can't duplicate", you have documentation that you you've complained about it during warranty. Later on when it becomes worse or something fails they'll have to cover it if it's the same problem, even if your out of warranty. I had a very similar thing happen on my last vehicle. When my A/C compressor was on, I would occasionally get a "goose call" sound. Took it in once or twice during warranty for this, and they couldn't dupe. It was VERY intermittent and only made the noise for about two or three seconds at a time, once every 3 or 4 days. Finally, it started doing it fairly regularly on almost every trip and for longer periods of like 15-20 secs. I had passed out of warranty about 4000 miles before, but they finally heard the noise and determined that I had a bad expansion valve for my rear air unit and fixed it all under warranty. They tried to stick me with the $400 bill, but I reminded them that it wasn't MY fault that they couldn't find the problem when I complained about it the first two times and pulled out my other invoices. Game over.