6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

03SE altima exhaust on 04SE max???

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2004, 05:09 PM

buddy of mine just installed stillen rear section on his 03 altima 3.5SE.....after helping him install the exhaust i looked at my 04 SE Max and noticed that the piping was very similar to the altima.........will the altima exhaust fit on the maxima????? it looks "VERY" similiar....i think that the exhaust sounds AWESOME!!! do ya think i can install the altima exhaust on my max??? or do they make a rear section for the maxima that sounds like the altima exhaust....any suggestions are appreciated!

thanks
Old 03-15-2004, 08:21 PM
Maxima of the Month Winner

Call Stillen And ax em!

http://www.stillen.com/
Old 03-15-2004, 08:29 PM

yeah...will call on tues.......however what type of exhausts are you guys putting on your 04?? i want an exhaust that replicates the sound a 350Z gives.....obviously you wont get an exact match but i like the real deep sound but not loud and obnoxious like other exhausts......any suggestions??

thanks again
Old 03-15-2004, 08:40 PM

Stillen doesn't have their own exhaust systems for the 04' yet - BUT they do have the Greddy SP2 Exhaust system which they highly recommended. I just ordered one last Friday and it should be here by tomorrow. Having the Greddy SP2, Stillen Hi-Flow Intake and Stillen RR Sway Bar installed 3/19. Can't wait!

BTW - I got my Greddy from another distributor, http://www.hopupracing.com/
they were much cheaper - saved me over $100 and they were VERY knowledgable about the performance gains. I'm looking at getting at least 8-10 HP with the intake and another 8-10HP from the Greddy's.
Best of luck to ya!
Old 03-15-2004, 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by JiuJitsuThug
Stillen doesn't have their own exhaust systems for the 04' yet - BUT they do have the Greddy SP2 Exhaust system which they highly recommended. I just ordered one last Friday and it should be here by tomorrow. Having the Greddy SP2, Stillen Hi-Flow Intake and Stillen RR Sway Bar installed 3/19. Can't wait!

they were much cheaper - saved me over $100 and they were VERY knowledgable about the performance gains. I'm looking at getting at least 8-10 HP with the intake and another 8-10HP from the Greddy's.
Best of luck to ya!
I'm holding out for the Stillen cat-back, but let me know how the Greddy SP2 works out. Post some pix if you can. An exhaust system is the last major mod I will be doing to my car.

Hey, thanx for the heads-up on the Stillen RR Sway bar. I have been looking for an (anti) sway bar for a while and just missed seeing it on thier website. I just ordered one tonite!

Anybody out there know if a front strut bar is available for the 04' Max? I been lookin', but I can't find anything.
Old 03-16-2004, 03:18 AM

i would like to know how it sounds....is it loud or a real deep 350Z exhaust note....i really dont want a screaming exhaust on the max......yea, once you have it on let us know what the exhaust sounds like too....

thanks for the reply
Old 03-16-2004, 05:40 AM
andymax95

Originally Posted by RayRey21
buddy of mine just installed stillen rear section on his 03 altima 3.5SE.....after helping him install the exhaust i looked at my 04 SE Max and noticed that the piping was very similar to the altima.........will the altima exhaust fit on the maxima????? it looks "VERY" similiar....i think that the exhaust sounds AWESOME!!! do ya think i can install the altima exhaust on my max??? or do they make a rear section for the maxima that sounds like the altima exhaust....any suggestions are appreciated!

thanks

The altima and 04 max are on the same frame and the 3.5 altima also shares the same engine as the max. The exhaust he put on, is it a true dual exhaust (seperate piping coming from the exhaust manifold)? How does it sound. I myself am looking to achieve the sound of a 350z, not to loud but sounds tuned?

Old 03-16-2004, 06:46 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I'm also looking for the Z sound. I think installing headers, high flow cat & a y pipe would bring it pretty close. The Injen intake has woke it up alot also.
Old 03-16-2004, 07:34 AM
andymax95

I don't believe there is a y-pipe for the 6th gen, I believe it is a true catback exhaust. I was at the car wash the other day and the guy in front of me had a bad a*s 350z and I was talking to him about it and he explained to me that there exhaust comes right from the exhaust manifold. He also said that nismo makes an exhaust for it that is one exhaust that branches into two, but stillen makes an exhaust true dual exhaust. Also for the g35 sedan I believe stillen also makes a true dual exhaust setup for it. But I really don't know what the max has, cause it's been to cold to look under the car.

Does anyone know what the exhaust is like and what diameter it is ( i believe it is 2.5" but could most likely be 2.25")?

Old 03-16-2004, 07:57 AM

I will defintitely let you guys know how it sounds. I called Greddy and asked them what the exhaust sounds like. They said it is really quiet until you open it up past 3K rpms and then it has a nice deep rip I did some review searches on google and found the same kind of answers. BTW I asked the guys at Stillen if I should wait for their exhaust to come out for the 04 and they HIGHLY recommended the Greddy's. Anyway I also found a front strut for the 04' in Stillen's latest catalogue - just give em a call and they will send it out to you. Pics will be up after I have everything installed on Friday
Old 03-16-2004, 07:43 PM

03SE altima exhaust on 04SE max

You keep saying that Stillen "Highly" recommends the Greddy system. Why would they do that? Isn't Greddy their competition? Don't they have faith in the cat-back they are developing?

Don't forget to post some pix when you have your system installed!
Old 03-16-2004, 09:37 PM

LOL - true - they probably recommended them because Stillen actually sells the Greddy's. I asked 2 guys over there if I should wait for the Stillen system and they said they didn't know when theirs would be out.

BTW - got the Stillen sway bar today from UPS, looks solid. Should make a pretty good difference.
Old 03-17-2004, 04:23 AM

sucks that the max has 2 mufflers.....greddy sp2 is about 439.......+212 for the second muffler.....sucks....cant wait to see those picks....HURRY!!...LOL
Old 03-17-2004, 11:45 AM

Stillen (anti) Sway Bar

LOL - true - they probably recommended them because Stillen actually sells the Greddy's. I asked 2 guys over there if I should wait for the Stillen system and they said they didn't know when theirs would be out.

BTW - got the Stillen sway bar today from UPS, looks solid. Should make a pretty good difference.
Glad to hear you got your bar. Mine is on the way!

Let me (us) know how the install goes for the bar, any problems, tips, etc.
Did it come with any hardware or bushings? Or do you just re-use what comes with the car?

Thanx!
Old 03-17-2004, 11:50 AM

Best of luck to ya!
I don't know about 6th gen air box design, but no other Maxima has gained near 8-10fwhp from an intake. The 2k2/3's somehow gain a boatload of power from catbacks though like ~10fwhp/tq

LEMAR
Old 03-17-2004, 01:06 PM

we really cant put an exact number on HP and TQ gains with different MODS but you can get an idea of what to expect......at the wheels is where it really counts.....or how far the car pushes you in the seat...thats what i like.....but who cares!! if ya think about it, i like to tell everyone that its stock!! till we lineup and I take him to the house......i think the art of "NOT SAYING ANYTHING" is essential unless you really have to say anything..............so tell me all the goods in your car...however i wont tell you mine....just lets me know if i'm gonna dog you bad............or reallllllllllly bad!!

my opinion......i'm getting alot closer to ordering the greddy sp2 and stillen intake...might go injen but that might push me over budget......need something....jonesin!!!!!!
Old 03-17-2004, 05:39 PM

I looked at my 04 exhaust today and I believe the piping is 2" in diameter and the y pipe seems to be smaller. I also noticed that we have a huge 2 foot long resonator and there is a crimped section near the rear. I may drop by the muffler shop tommorrow and remove the crimp and resonator and see if it gains any power. I know the alti certainly did and I think our cars will too. Will keep updated...
Old 03-18-2004, 02:10 PM

For sure on the pics - I received the Greddy System yesterday via UPS. It looks SICK IMO. I dig the look - just hope it looks as good on the car as it does off. Anyway - I'm totally pysched to get everything put on tmw (Stillen Intake, Stillen Sway Bar and Exhaust). Like I said performance wise I'm hoping to get around 15+ HP from both the exhaust and intake. I'll probably have it dynoed a few weeks after install and break in. Will have pics up by the weekend.
Late!
Old 03-18-2004, 02:13 PM

Oh as for the sway bar - it came solo. Instructions say to re-use bushings etc from car. It feels VERY solid though.
Old 03-18-2004, 06:21 PM

i pulled the trigger......i order the greddy sp2 today and should have it in 3-5 business days......maybe i should have waited a little but oh well.......cant wait though!
Old 03-18-2004, 11:09 PM

I removed my factory resonator today just to see how it sounded. Gave the oem exhaust a slight tone thats deep from 1-2.5 then you cant hear it. Sounds better than stock though because I couldnt hear it at all. Dunno how much a resonator restricts flow but il see how it does. Im ready to see those greddys on the car guys!
Old 03-19-2004, 03:35 PM

Well - Problem with the Stillen Sway Bar. When Nissan's techs put it on it didn't fit properly. It was rubbing on the trailing arm when they lowered the car. NOT GOOD. Anyway, having them take it off and called Stillen back. Apparently the wrong sway got shipped or something. Not sure if I wanna get another one put on or not so I'm sending this one back. Will post more later...
Old 03-19-2004, 06:53 PM

OK - they got the Stillen Sway Bar in. They just had to put in bigger ties so it didn't hit the trailing arm. Also got the Greddy SP2 & the Stillen Hi-Flow intake on. The techs were raving about the additions before I even got to look at it. The main guy said that the power gains were noticeable immediately and that it pulled alot harder than any of the other Maximas he has been working on. The sound is AWESOME IMO. Not too loud or ricey - sounds very deep, almost alot like my friends new M3 or a deep G35. When I opened it up and the Intake and exhaust started kicking it was giving me chills. Sounded sick! Butt Dyno tells me that the power has definitely improved. It was pushing me through all the gears. Didn't get a chance to throw it around turns very much to test the sway bar. I am still getting adjusted to the looks. It is MUCH more agressive than I thought but it's growing on me. Everyone of the techs was really impressed and thought it was the best setup they had seen or heard on the 04. I only got a chance to snap off one pic before my battery ran out, so I will charge it up and post more tomorrow. Here's the one pic of the Greddy while it is being installed. More to come tomorrow

http://images.cardomain.com/member_i...671_6_full.jpg
Old 03-20-2004, 03:22 AM

dude...i was pumped up now i'm excited......exhaust looks real nice and i cant wait for mine to come in.......as for how it sounds that is exactly what i'm looking for..........intake is next...looks sharp...would like to see if you can get a pic of exhaust directly behind your max....just want to see how far the cans hang down......otherwise........2 thumbs up!!
Old 03-20-2004, 02:44 PM

Here are a few of my pics from my performance upgrades.

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/547671

I can't say enough how much I love the new intake, exhaust and sway bar. The butt dyno was felt immediately by my Nissan technician, he said it was the fastest 04' he has driven. I noticed it immediately too. The sound of the intake really kicks in past 4K plus the exhaust sound is AWESOME. Perfect balance of power and sound. It sounds almost exactly like my friends 03' M3 when he's pushing it. The sway bar also helps ALOT. No more roll when hitting turns and it just feels tighter. Took one of my friends for a ride and he said he felt like the car felt alot faster and tighter also. I am totally happy with everything. The exhaust is very agressive looking and I'm still getting used to it but everyone really seems to like it. My only other investment might be for the Stillen rear section to cover the exhaust canisters a tad bit more. Very happy overall!
Old 03-20-2004, 03:34 PM

hey dude...thanks for posting the picks....now i have an idea what my silver 04SE will look like soon....the pics came out good but those cans are pretty big.......the pic from the rear bumper where you are squating really shows the size of those cans.........kinda wish they were alittle hidden but i guess thats how its gonna be.....all in all i looks PHAT and i'm glad to here that your car is moving faster than before.......will post pics of my exhaust on my max as soon as it is installed on the car..........thumbs up again!!
Old 03-20-2004, 08:14 PM

Thanks for the reply - I think you will definitely be stoked. If you have teh cash I would suggest getting the intake as well. The techs said it really helps with the exhaust. Yeah the cans are growing on me. I was looking at old pics of the stock exhaust and this IMO looks tougher / sportier - but like I said I might be in the market for something that hides them a bit more. Good luck with yours - I know you will be happy with the sound and performance.
Old 03-20-2004, 08:28 PM

Here's a pic of a car that has a magnaflow exhaust that looks really similar to the Greddy's on mine.

http://www.freshalloy.com/site/cars/...photos/004.jpg