6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Got NAV? (Yep.)

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2004, 11:33 AM

Got NAV? (Yep.)

Got my new Garmin StreetPilot 2620 (the brand new one with the built-in hard drive) just before lunch today.

I've never had NAV before, although I wanted one in my '04 Max ... I just wasn't willing to wait for one, so I went without. After hooking the Garmin up and plopping it on my dash, my wife and I struck out for a new restaurant about 20-25 miles away. I punched in Fort Worth and the name of the restaurant under "Find" while sitting in my driveway and it immediately started telling me where to go. It announced every onramp and every turn and twist, and took us right to the place without a hitch. Right out of the box ... no map loads, no muss, no fuss.

For those who - like me - wished they had gotten NAV in their Maximas, I'm already ready to say this is the solution. The unit sits in a little "beanbag" mount right up on the dash above the display screen, and the little silver lip on the dash holds it firmly in place. When we parked, I simply picked it up off the dash and set it in the floor under the edge of my driver's seat out of sight. BTW, the speaker, which is in the plug, is easily heard when plugged into the passenger footwell outlet. No problem.

I'm not connected with Garmin in any way, so this is just a new owner's first reaction. Like I said, though, NAV is a frequent topic and I know there is a lot of interest in it.

Mike
Old 03-17-2004, 01:00 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I was always interested in getting a Nav, cuz I couldn't wait just like you... If possible, can you post some pictures of it installed in your car? I just want to see how it looks inside and I'm also wondering how much it would cost to do that?

If that's the solution like you say it is, I'm sure many people out there would definitely consider that option.
Old 03-17-2004, 01:33 PM

http://www.garmin.com/products/sp2620/
Old 03-17-2004, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by Leopor
we wanted to see how's Mike installed........."can you post some pictures of it installed in your car?"
Old 03-17-2004, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by ocuihs
we wanted to see how's Mike installed........."can you post some pictures of it installed in your car?"
Yes, but keep in mind I just got it and "installed" means sitting on its little beanbag holder above my display screen. Interestingly, the little lip at the top of the dash helps hold the beanbag securely in place, and it doesn't act like it wants to go anywhere! I also don't want it tied down, since I want to be able to conceal it when I park and go inside somewhere.

Btw, these pix don't do it justice in terms of its visibility. I was concerned about the small screen size of aftermarket NAV's, but the streets and things are highly visible and the voice guidance is very clear and plenty loud enough to be heard from the passenger footwell socket location.

Mike
Old 03-17-2004, 03:15 PM
Moderator GT-R

Originally Posted by Mike_TX
...After hooking the Garmin up and plopping it on my dash, my wife and I struck out for a new restaurant about 20-25 miles away. I punched in Fort Worth and the name of the restaurant ...Mike
What was the resteraunt? How was it?

Did you see the car chase on channel 4 news? Was that a 2004 Maxima? I never got a good look but it seemed to be a skyview roof.
Old 03-17-2004, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by bluemaxx
What was the resteraunt? How was it?

Did you see the car chase on channel 4 news? Was that a 2004 Maxima? I never got a good look but it seemed to be a skyview roof.

Hahaha. It was the Paris Coffee Shop over in Ft. Worth. (I know, I know.) Someone told my wife they have good "blue plate special" lunches, so I gave in and went over to give it a try. Actually, I wanted to try the NAV.

I didn't see the chase, although I heard the traffic people on the radio talking about it. That's about the 3rd one in the last week or so, isn't it?

Mike
Old 03-17-2004, 03:37 PM
Moderator GT-R

Hahaha. It was the Paris Coffee Shop over in Ft. Worth. (I know, I know.) Someone told my wife they have good "blue plate special" lunches, so I gave in and went over to give it a try. Actually, I wanted to try the NAV.

I didn't see the chase, although I heard the traffic people on the radio talking about it. That's about the 3rd one in the last week or so, isn't it?

Mike
So I don't need to make a trip to FW? I don't have NAV, only Mapsco and I already know how to use it.

I'll try to remember to watch channel 4 news tonight. I think it was a Maxima. Does anyone else use a skyview looking sunroof besides Nissan?
Old 03-17-2004, 04:52 PM

So I don't need to make a trip to FW? I don't have NAV, only Mapsco and I already know how to use it.
Well, not to get a good lunch. I'd recommend John Carter's on East Lancaster for some soul food-type home cookin' over Paris any day.

I'll try to remember to watch channel 4 news tonight. I think it was a Maxima. Does anyone else use a skyview looking sunroof besides Nissan?
I think Nissan is the only one who uses the skyview ... and I'm not sure how long they'll keep it!

Mike
Old 03-17-2004, 04:57 PM

i dont know how much $$$ u guys are willing to spend, but i just put an eclipse anv 2454 in my accord, its a double din headunit which has a 6.5 inch touchscreen, 16:9 format... it also does cd/dvd/mp3 at the same time... i paid about 2300 so its not the cheapest, but u are guaranteed to get a "factory" type look... link below to pics...

http://forum.sounddomain.com/forum/u...c;f=8;t=012353
Old 03-17-2004, 05:42 PM

Just don't get the garmin ique 3600. I have it and it sucks.
Old 03-17-2004, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by jattmax
i dont know how much $$$ u guys are willing to spend, but i just put an eclipse anv 2454 in my accord, its a double din headunit which has a 6.5 inch touchscreen, 16:9 format... it also does cd/dvd/mp3 at the same time... i paid about 2300 so its not the cheapest, but u are guaranteed to get a "factory" type look... link below to pics...

Sweet. I have several reasons for not wanting to go this way, though ... my car is leased, so mods are out; I don't want a hard-mounted unit so I can use it in all 3 of our cars; and I don't want upgraded sound/video at this time. So for me, the portable is the ticket. Saves me having to mod all 3 cars, and I paid just under a Grand for it!

Mike
Old 03-17-2004, 06:57 PM
Moderator GT-R

Well, not to get a good lunch. I'd recommend John Carter's on East Lancaster for some soul food-type home cookin' over Paris any day.

I think Nissan is the only one who uses the skyview ... and I'm not sure how long they'll keep it!

Mike
It was a 2k4 Maxima in the chase. Spike strips finally took it out. The reason I'm so interested is that I've seen 3rd, 4th, 5th and now 6th generation Maximas involved in televised police chases. I wish I could create a video-montage...
Old 03-17-2004, 07:09 PM

It was a 2k4 Maxima in the chase. Spike strips finally took it out. The reason I'm so interested is that I've seen 3rd, 4th, 5th and now 6th generation Maximas involved in televised police chases. I wish I could create a video-montage...
Yep. Just saw it on TV. You can't miss than skyview roof ... it was definitely a Maxima. I thought I heard them say a chick was driving it ... ?
Old 03-17-2004, 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by jattmax

There isn't exactly a place to put that in the new Maxima.

I personnaly prefer the factory set up. I would never be able to stand something like the Garmin.
Old 03-17-2004, 07:37 PM
Moderator GT-R

Yep. Just saw it on TV. You can't miss than skyview roof ... it was definitely a Maxima. I thought I heard them say a chick was driving it ... ?
That's what they said, stolen too. Bad girls.
Old 03-17-2004, 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by ocuihs

Maybe I was replying to koreanmaximan when he asked "I'm also wondering how much it would cost to do that?"

Yea, thanks...
Old 03-17-2004, 11:36 PM
L33t BMW Drivah

Aftermarket beanbags look ghetto in my opinion. Thats why I spent 2k extra to make sure I got a real integrated Navi. I have all the regions I need. I love it. When I get I tired of it , I love my touch screen CD player.....that bean bag thing would make me want to beat it with a stick, since it looks like an eye sore !
Old 03-18-2004, 04:22 AM

What would be cool is if you could route the image to your Maxima's screen. Then you could mount the Garmin somewhere out of the way (armrest, glove box, etc) and it would look factory.
Old 03-18-2004, 06:53 AM

Kloogy and 2002 Maxima SE - I hear what you're saying, but I personally don't think the Garmin looks ghetto sitting on my dash. After all, it's there only when I'm motoring down the road and most people don't try to scope out the inside of your ride as you streak by. When I park (such as when I'm appearing in Maxima TV ads or competing in a custom car show), it's stowed outta sight.

Seriously, I understand the appeal of an integrated install. At the same time, though, I'd drop $6,000 putting it in all 3 of our cars. This way, I have the latest-tech NAV and I can use it in all my cars as well as in a rental car when I'm traveling by plane. Try that with your integrated NAV that's bolted to your dashboard ...

Mike
Old 03-18-2004, 09:16 AM

Kloogy and 2002 Maxima SE - I hear what you're saying, but I personally don't think the Garmin looks ghetto sitting on my dash. After all, it's there only when I'm motoring down the road and most people don't try to scope out the inside of your ride as you streak by. When I park (such as when I'm appearing in Maxima TV ads or competing in a custom car show), it's stowed outta sight.

Seriously, I understand the appeal of an integrated install. At the same time, though, I'd drop $6,000 putting it in all 3 of our cars. This way, I have the latest-tech NAV and I can use it in all my cars as well as in a rental car when I'm traveling by plane. Try that with your integrated NAV that's bolted to your dashboard ...

Mike
I agree, I don't think it looks bad...certainly not as good as factory, but not bad. I have the NAV installed in my Max, but I would consider getting the Garmin for my wife's Quest. Also, you make a good point about being able to move from car to car.
Old 03-26-2004, 11:58 AM

Just ordered me one. how are the voice prompts. very robotic or human like?
Old 03-26-2004, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by lilchina
Just ordered me one. how are the voice prompts. very robotic or human like?

It's a pretty convincing lady-voice. All these things have a certain amount of robot quality to them, but this one is pretty slick IMO. I thought I read somewhere that there are 4 voices to choose from, but I haven't found them. The default voice works so well I figure I'll just leave it at that.

Btw, this is my first NAV, and I'm really impressed with the 2620. It does a HUGE amount of stuff, and although the manual looks a little scary, you'll figure it out quickly. I'm going on a trip in a week, and I'm looking forward to putting it through its paces.

Mike
Old 03-30-2004, 05:14 PM

What don't you like about the IQue 3600? I just ordered one and it sounds like I will be disappointed.
Old 04-04-2004, 07:49 PM

I like my 2620 so far, my only gripe until a update is my brother in law is in a new housing area in Mansfield, TX and the street doesn't show up. Also I'm in Duncan Ok. now and the Hotel I'm at doesn't show up either and it's been here a while Chisolm Suite hotel. I guess if it's not a Hilton or Holiday Inn it's not in the database. All I can Hope for is a 2004 update. As far as ease of use and accuracy it was easy enough for me. Money well spent in my opinion
Old 04-06-2004, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by lilchina
I like my 2620 so far, my only gripe until a update is my brother in law is in a new housing area in Mansfield, TX and the street doesn't show up. Also I'm in Duncan Ok. now and the Hotel I'm at doesn't show up either and it's been here a while Chisolm Suite hotel. I guess if it's not a Hilton or Holiday Inn it's not in the database. All I can Hope for is a 2004 update. As far as ease of use and accuracy it was easy enough for me. Money well spent in my opinion
I just returned from a little 2,000-mile test run with my 2620, and as you point out, it has a few blips. (Btw, I assume all GPS NAV systems have these "flaws", based on what I've read and been told.)

Like you, I found a few motels and restaurants that weren't listed, and which have been there for a long time. I also found one restaurant that the unit told me was half a block down the street from where it was located ... I say "was" because it had been apparently been closed down for a pretty good while.

I also tried to stop at a rest stop on I-10 in Louisiana that just flat didn't exist and didn't appear to have ever existed. (And I needed to go, too!) When I was within less than a mile, I noticed the usual "Rest Stop - 1 Mile" sign hadn't shown up. Then when I was supposed to be there, it wasn't to be found ... then the 2620 started showing it behind me as I kept driving on.

In short, there's no question these things have a few errors built in. But I'll say I was knocked out with the things it did tell me, and the places it took me to and from. I didn't even take a map with me, and I never needed one. You just can't help but be impressed with the technology and the databases these things have.

Mike
Old 04-06-2004, 03:40 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Uhm, this may have been discussed before but I can't seem to find it... how much does the 2620 cost? I found that OEM GPS unit to be too expensive (plus ordering wasn't an option).

Thanks
Old 04-06-2004, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by Monotaur
Uhm, this may have been discussed before but I can't seem to find it... how much does the 2620 cost? I found that OEM GPS unit to be too expensive (plus ordering wasn't an option).

Thanks
List price is $1299, but it can be found on the 'net for less than $1,000. I got mine for $979. from GPSNow.com just about the day after they hit the market, and prices have probably come down some by now.

Do a search on bizrate, mysimon, shopper.com or any of the known shopper search engines.

Mike
Old 04-06-2004, 07:48 PM

Yep, thanks for the info... looks like it's $954 + $15 shipping from CompUPlus:

http://www.compuplus.com/insidepage.php3?id=1002130
Old 04-16-2004, 10:21 PM

Be sure to get the 3.40 firmware update. Fixes some bugs and adds some enhancements. Delete actual deletes properly now wow who'd thunk it.
Old 04-17-2004, 08:04 AM

Nice NAVI> But I think it looks ghetto. I would do what Kloogy did.