6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

2004 Maxima Aftermarket Stereo

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2004, 01:24 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

2004 Maxima Aftermarket Stereo

Does anyone have any info on the installation of an aftermarket head unit? I'm dying for an MP3 player in my new Maxima (had one in my 97), but I don't want to mess up any of the factory stuff like the information display, or the look of the factory center console. I love my new Maxima, but Nissan should've given the owner more options for an after market system. Any thoughts?
Old 03-18-2004, 02:47 PM

I had the same dilemma, and decided to ask an expert at Crutchfield. Here is the exact message from Clyde at Crutchfield.

Hello,

Thanks for your e-mail, and for shopping the Crutchfield web site.

In answer to your question about the 2004 Nissan Maxima, I have both good news and bad news. The bad news is that if you try to put an aftermarket system in the vehicle, you will lose the existing display and functions that go along with that.

The good news is that if you were willing to give those factory features up, you could put any aftermarket video system in the vehicle that you wanted.

The bottom line is that unfortunately, no one has made any type of adaptor or harness to integrate with that factory system yet.

When you’re ready to make a purchase, just visit our web site at www.crutchfield.com. Virtually all in stock items, unless otherwise noted, are delivered to all 50 states in 2-3 business days.

Thanks again for your e-mail. Please let me know whenever you need anything else!

Clyde
Crutchfield Sales
advisors@Crutchfield.com
www.crutchfield.com
1-800-388-2911 ext 4078

-----Original Message-----
Date: Tuesday, March 16, 2004 05:45 PM
To: solutions@crutchfield.com (solutions@crutchfield.com)
Subject: 04 Nissan Maxima

To whom it may concern:

I currently own a 2004 Nissan Maxima, and didn't bother getting a navigation system with the car. I'm sure you know how the 04 Maxima's middle console display looks like... Not too pretty with just orange amber lights without the navigation color display.

I've been trying to find out if there were any possible ways to modify the display screen with enhanced aftermarket display which can play DVD, TV, and even navigation (optional).

The only concern I have is that time, air conditioning, radio, CD, and all other basic functions are displayed via the screen I'm trying to upgrade.

Do you have any idea of what I could possibly do to have a video system in my car without taking out all the basic functions that display via the screen?

I'd really appreciate your prompt and expert advice.

Thanks,

Joon Rhee
Email: joon.rhee@frontier-logistics.com
essage from
Old 03-19-2004, 02:09 AM

Thanks for the info Koreanmaximan. We have several things in common. Looks like we have the same Maxima and I too am Korean, and we both live in Cali.
I ran in to this site: http://www.freshalloy.com/site/cars/...pts/home.shtml. Look like it has some aftermarket stereo work done, and it claims that the factory stuff is still functional. The work looks too involved for anything that I'd be interested in. I still want to keep the factory cosmetics as much as possible. I agree, that orange display is hideous. Kinda wish I got the navigational system now. I was considering it, but it was near impossible to find one with a 6 speed manual and a navigational system. I waited for a month for a 6 speed with Driver Preferred Package alone. That orange display is about the only thing I don't like about my Maxima (and the factory grill).
Old 03-19-2004, 07:59 AM

My fellow Calikorean,

Darth Vader looks nice~~ It looks too costy for me though.. I think I'll wait around little longer to see other options.

I read the bad news about your engine malfunctioning... I hope everything works out for you. BTW, where did you buy your car at? I bought my car at Cerritos Nissan, and their service dept. was not as helpful as I expected. Watch out for Nissan dealers... They have bad reputations around the nation.

Keep us updated with your vehicle status.

I see Freshalloy is another maxima enthusiast site... COOL~~
Old 03-19-2004, 10:55 AM
Redlinemax Owner

I think the radio looks like **** in there
Old 03-19-2004, 12:46 PM

Koreanmaximan, I bought mine at Wondries Nissan in Alhambra through the Costco Auto program (saved a grip, only paid $400 over invoice). They were very helpful there and all my experiences with Nissan has been superb (other than my engine and tranny going out). Thanks for your concern. I saw pics of your car on here and I must say... very nice. You should remove the Maxima and 3.5 SE logos from the back, I think your car would look a lot cleaner. But that's just my opinion. I took mine off in 5 minutes without a prob.
Old 03-20-2004, 11:05 PM

get an ipod. they offer a cassete adaptor.
Old 03-22-2004, 10:22 AM

Dont go with the iPod, cassette adapters are terrible quality sound, and it just looks tacky. Go with what I did, a 10-disc MP3 cd changer in your trunk. I got the Sony one, there's only 2 or 3 brands out there with a CD changer that reads mp3 files, I think JVC has one. But I love it, think about 10 cds with 150 mp3s on each disc. That's plenty of songs. It works off the FM modulator, and you have a little remote that velcros perfectly under the cassette opening and above that little compartment. Sound quality is excellent, the screen is bright and easy to read (if you mount it too high, it'll be too bright, so mount it low on the center console), and it shows the track title, artist, etc. I got it on Ebay for about $130
Old 03-22-2004, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by chrisaust
Dont go with the iPod, cassette adapters are terrible quality sound, and it just looks tacky. Go with what I did, a 10-disc MP3 cd changer in your trunk. I got the Sony one, there's only 2 or 3 brands out there with a CD changer that reads mp3 files, I think JVC has one. But I love it, think about 10 cds with 150 mp3s on each disc. That's plenty of songs. It works off the FM modulator, and you have a little remote that velcros perfectly under the cassette opening and above that little compartment. Sound quality is excellent, the screen is bright and easy to read (if you mount it too high, it'll be too bright, so mount it low on the center console), and it shows the track title, artist, etc. I got it on Ebay for about $130
I agree with you on the ipod + cassette adpater. I can't stand cassette adapters. The last thing I want is extra wires and the like floating around in such a clean vehicle. Feels cheap. The changer is a better alternative, but I'd prefer a head unit. I really wish Nissan had offered their customers more options for aftermarket stereo work. That center console looks as if they deliberately engineered it so you're limited to the factory stuff.
Old 03-24-2004, 09:33 PM

a changer is also a solution to playing mp3s. but lets not mislead here. playing cd's through your fm radio is not going to sound great. first of all, mp3 is a lower quality of sound than a normal file on a cd. so you are now playing mp3s through your fm radio which is degrading it further.

yes , playing through your tape deck adds a wire. some do not mind or may be indifferent while others cannot stand it. but adding a changer that plays through your fm radio adds a controller that must be installed one way or another- it is not clean. an ipod allows you to carry mp3s while traveling, to the gym, home, work, car, etc. plus you can use it as a hard drive and more.

both an ipod and an fm mp3 changer allow you to listen to mp3s. both have positives and negatives associated with them. the choice is yours.
Old 03-24-2004, 10:05 PM
*moderator*

I am using the I-Pod with the "i trip" which works through the FM receiver, this thing is OK (actualy it sucks) and I barely use because the quality is as good as a radio station...I miss having RCA outs (and DVD) like my old car!!! Why did they do this to us???
Old 03-24-2004, 10:20 PM

If you were willing to experiment a little, and willing to give up your sattilite radio, (if you even have/use it) you could do something cool.

Think about it, the SAT has a direct feed to your stereo, if you can find this input, you will be able to have a quality feed into your stereo. This would make the SAT button control the input of the player.

Theres a few options that I can think of.

The first would be my prefered. You take that line out make a discreet RCA style plug. You can locate this anywhere you want, say the Cubby hole if you don't have NAV, or the console or cupholder... wherever. Then you could just tap in your iPod and be game.

OR

You could find take the SAT input, add a constant power and switched power and add a whole DIN unit MP3/CD player some where in the car, again the Cubby would be a good location, or you can invertly mount the unit burried down in below the cup holder and use a remote to control it.

OR

Go the already mentioned route, a FM modulator and a MP3/CD changer. I remember rockford used to make a MP3 only changer back in the day, but if I remember right it used media cards, and was expensive... I don't think it that lasted too long and have never heard of anything similar.
Old 03-25-2004, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by Redsand187
If you were willing to experiment a little, and willing to give up your sattilite radio, (if you even have/use it) you could do something cool.

Think about it, the SAT has a direct feed to your stereo, if you can find this input, you will be able to have a quality feed into your stereo. This would make the SAT button control the input of the player.

Theres a few options that I can think of.

The first would be my prefered. You take that line out make a discreet RCA style plug. You can locate this anywhere you want, say the Cubby hole if you don't have NAV, or the console or cupholder... wherever. Then you could just tap in your iPod and be game.

OR

You could find take the SAT input, add a constant power and switched power and add a whole DIN unit MP3/CD player some where in the car, again the Cubby would be a good location, or you can invertly mount the unit burried down in below the cup holder and use a remote to control it.

OR

Go the already mentioned route, a FM modulator and a MP3/CD changer. I remember rockford used to make a MP3 only changer back in the day, but if I remember right it used media cards, and was expensive... I don't think it that lasted too long and have never heard of anything similar.
Does anyone know where this input is or how to get to it?
Old 03-25-2004, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by iadubes
Does anyone know where this input is or how to get to it?
The sat connector location in the pic is the arrow "second male conector?"

You have to remove the glovebox, side panel of the center console and another small plastic panel near the floor.
Old 03-26-2004, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by dfurlano
The sat connector location in the pic is the arrow "second male conector?"

You have to remove the glovebox, side panel of the center console and another small plastic panel near the floor.
CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TRY USING THE SAT INPUT AND HOOKING IT UP TO AN I-POD-
Old 03-27-2004, 12:37 AM
*moderator*

Yes, if someone can figure out how to turn that SAT wire into an RCA, I'd be a very happy man!!!
I talked to a couple of stereo places and they said it wasn't possible...
Old 03-29-2004, 11:04 AM

I agree this would be killer for my delphi skyfi, if anyone knows of a converter please post, thanks
Old 03-30-2004, 08:27 AM
Jedi Knight

wow...they really did screw you all on the 6th gens..as far as audio options...if someone had the schematic for the radio/controls...one might be able to make a custom adapter for any particular radio..which would involve basically rewiring the controls...I don't see how possible it will be to make a universal adapter as not all radios are the same or even use the same method of "talking" ie...Alpine: AI-NET...is proprietary
Old 03-30-2004, 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by nupe500
wow...they really did screw you all on the 6th gens..as far as audio options...if someone had the schematic for the radio/controls...one might be able to make a custom adapter for any particular radio..which would involve basically rewiring the controls...I don't see how possible it will be to make a universal adapter as not all radios are the same or even use the same method of "talking" ie...Alpine: AI-NET...is proprietary
Ahh, because of the information screen and everything? You'd have to somewhat fool the system to see a 'satellite' radio, right? That sucks. Any way to tap into the tape deck to put in an input?

Maybe I'll just have to get the satelite installed.........
Old 03-30-2004, 12:48 PM

Metra is coming out with a kit: part # 99-7404. It's not out yet and I don't know when it is coming out. Perhaps we should bug them.....?

http://www.metraonline.com/

techsupport@metra-autosound.com
Old 03-30-2004, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by Doctor Wicked
Metra is coming out with a kit: part # 99-7404. It's not out yet and I don't know when it is coming out. Perhaps we should bug them.....?

http://www.metraonline.com/

techsupport@metra-autosound.com
I can't find it on their site, how do I look at it?
Old 03-30-2004, 04:34 PM

If I actually had SAT or an iPod, I'd do it. But since I don't I really have no reason to tear apart the car. If anyone was around here that wanted to try I could help. (ASE electronic cert.)

It should be a pretty simple hook up, but it may need a conversion box.
Old 03-31-2004, 06:08 AM

Lets stay on this though... EVERY 6th GEN OWNER wants a MP3 PLAYER... RIGHT!!! so lets figure this out- i will mkae sum phone calls to some techs.. Lets get this done guys
Old 03-31-2004, 07:40 AM

I can't find it on their site, how do I look at it?
It's not on their site. I actually contacted them and that is the part number they gave me, I have not seen a picture of it.
Old 03-31-2004, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by NISMO6thGEN
Lets stay on this though... EVERY 6th GEN OWNER wants a MP3 PLAYER... RIGHT!!! so lets figure this out- i will mkae sum phone calls to some techs.. Lets get this done guys
Right On!!!
Old 04-10-2004, 09:30 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

thinking about installation of dvd video screen

my 04 maxima has the display without the navigation screen and ive been looking to install aftermarket stereo + dvd + video screen. I was wondering if I need to get rid of the display screen i have now, and if they do install a new screen, does that mean i will lose the information that the screen displays such as the temp., song info, etc... any info will help out. thanks

AJ
Anaheim, CA
Old 04-11-2004, 10:43 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

The problem of installing a different head unit is that it will mess up the whole interior. That sucks.
Old 04-11-2004, 03:49 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

hey guys,

this post was actually the reason that i joined this site. i have been looking high and low for a way to install an aftermarket system on this bad boy. i have a system all planned out for this badboy when i get home, but did know how i was going to install it, and no one here had any ideas.... BUT lookie what i found

http://www.autotoys.com/x/catalog/NI..._1210.html#rev

this wont solve the problem of wanting to upgrade the info screen (which i agree is hideous, and makes me want to slap its momma), but it is perfect for those who want to upgrade the system. i wont be able to install this bad boy for about another year. however, if any of you guys decide to go this way please post some pics and let us know how it went.

thanks
edditty

ps. hey edify and kmaximan, i am korean too!! AND i live in la palma k-man. anyway, just wanted to share that......dont know why.......
Old 04-11-2004, 07:03 PM

hey eddity- A+ to you for finding that dash kit...i have been waiting for that...

it looks dull compared to the oem center console...if anybody buys it, let us know how it looks.
Old 04-11-2004, 09:04 PM
*moderator*

Ed-ditty you rule!! I've been wanting to find this since I got my car in November!!! I was 3 days away from selling my Clarion 935VRX, and losing $$$$ in the process, it's been hard to let it go.
I had this installed in my previous truck and had given up hope on putting this my max.
Does anybody know who exactly makes this I searched elsewhere on the net and found nothing.
I'm scared to buy it and have it look too sketchy.
I do wish I could leave the 6 disc in and use it instead of having another pocket...
Old 04-12-2004, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by edditty
hey guys,

this post was actually the reason that i joined this site. i have been looking high and low for a way to install an aftermarket system on this bad boy. i have a system all planned out for this badboy when i get home, but did know how i was going to install it, and no one here had any ideas.... BUT lookie what i found

http://www.autotoys.com/x/catalog/NI..._1210.html#rev

this wont solve the problem of wanting to upgrade the info screen (which i agree is hideous, and makes me want to slap its momma), but it is perfect for those who want to upgrade the system. i wont be able to install this bad boy for about another year. however, if any of you guys decide to go this way please post some pics and let us know how it went.

thanks
edditty

ps. hey edify and kmaximan, i am korean too!! AND i live in la palma k-man. anyway, just wanted to share that......dont know why.......
Edditty, LOL I joined the forum to start this post! That kit looks great! One question: will the info display still work if the factory head unit is removed?
Old 04-12-2004, 03:22 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

actually, i have not bought the damn thing yet. i would guess that when you disconnect the stock head unit you will not get any information on the HOS (hideous orange screen). but your new head should display all that stuff. i still wanna know if you can upgrade the screen to a dvd player or something AND have the info displayed...... wishful thinking i guess
Old 04-12-2004, 04:34 PM

i just tried ordering the kit and i got a email back saying its not avail for another month.......THEN Y THE HELL U ADVERTISING IT THEN.....THEY GOT ME ALL EXCITED FOR NUTTIN BIACTHES!!
Old 04-12-2004, 04:37 PM
*moderator*

I went and talked to my stereo guy and he's going to look into it a get back to me tomorrow. I asked if the Climate controls and trip info etc....would still work when the stereo is removed. He said he usually just gets these kits automatically shipped to him when they come out and he hasn't received this one yet so he is going to investigate it and get back to me.
I'll post when I find out more info....
Old 04-12-2004, 04:48 PM

if u look at the kit there sellin i think the old radio stays in place cause it only replaces the piece below the climate control....plus i dont know how u can investigate the thing cause the way they made it sound there not ready to sell it yet!!
Old 04-12-2004, 04:59 PM
*moderator*

You at least have to remove the changer and the tape deck to accomidate the new stereo and the new pocket. I'm not sure how those two units integrate into the whole system. My stereo guy is probably going to call Nissan about the electronics end of it, not the fit kit....
Old 04-12-2004, 05:11 PM

Y DID NISSAN DO THIS TO US....i want my dvd back!!!
Old 04-12-2004, 05:24 PM

Hey Edditty,

I read some of your other threads. Aren't you in Iraq right now? I wish you the best out there!!

I'm really glad to meet another Korean Pride!! I live in Brookside Apts (Orangethorpe & Walker) in La Palma too. What a coincidence...

Hey, also the dash kit looks nice and feels like you're gonna make many people happy~~

Stay Safe!!
Old 04-12-2004, 09:29 PM

hey just get an in dash cd changer.i think if you cut the back of that pocket it will fit.i think that i'll only fit a 3 disc changer but 3 is better than none .well actually 4 with your other head unit.so 4 is better than 1.
Old 04-12-2004, 09:38 PM
*moderator*

For me I won't need a changer, my Clarion plays MP3's and I will also have an RCA out for a direct line to my IPOD. No more carrying CD's around (once again)

Quick Reply: 2004 Maxima Aftermarket Stereo