6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2004, 06:42 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hey all,

Just want to say that this is the best maxima site i have found on the net, but what is up with the lag? is it cuz there are so many people on? okay, i have a 2004 maxima that i have bought and am making payments of, but i have yet to see the damn thing. i am currently in the middle of freakin iraq, and wont be home for a while. however, i am researching a bunch of stuff that i would like to do when i get home. here goes....

1. Radio.... I read an earlier post about the problem of upgrading the stereo, but it seemed like no one came up with a very good solution. i would like to install a single din head unit along with the works, but there doesnt seem to be room for the head unit. also, has anyone put a different screen in place of that disasterously ugly orange display? pics?

2. Because it was a long distance purchase, i didnt get all the options that i was hoping for. Does anyone know where to get the HID lights for the maxima? what specs am i looking for?

3. i would also like to redo the upholstry when i get back. can anyone recommend a good place to get leather in southern california? my brother mentioned that i should just take it to the dealer, being that they outsource it, they actually do a really good job. but i have never known any dealer to do a good job when it comes to dollar for dollar work. i just feel like there has to be somewhere i can get it done better for cheaper.

thats about all i can think of for now. any help would of course be greatly appreciated. will be talking a lot to you guys. again, great site.

edditty
Old 04-09-2004, 07:58 PM
meh

Welcome to the board, and congrats on the purchase! You got the best color for the 6th gen IMO.

OK, I don't know what to tell you as far as the radio thing goes, maybe if I were you I would wait and come home to see what I was working with and then go from there. Maybe someone in the 6th gen forum has done something along those lines and can help you out.

As far as the HIDs go....seems the Nissan HIDs are expensive from dealer....probably would be more cost-efficient to buy a (good) set of aftermarket ones and do a retrofit. I know they're illegal and all now, but I still see them online.

Did you get cloth in yours? Mine has it and while it's fine for the time being, eventually I would like to get some Katzkin leather and do it up. I've heard the OEM leather does not feel horribly high quality and seems that it cracks and stuff relatively early while the Katzkin I've heard nothing but good things on how good it is (plus you can do custom things such as certain colors for like a 2-tone, or suede inserts, etc.). Anyways, I would go aftermarket leather and as long as you get it from a reputable source it will probably be a better quality and will probably be cheaper than having the dealer do it. You can install it yourself although it's supposed to be kind of a PITA and might be worth it for you to take it to an upholstery shop and have it done. Can't make any recommendations on where to take it, hopefullty someone else can.

Hopefully, you get to come back soon and see your new baby!
Old 04-10-2004, 07:32 AM

I assume you're in Iraq with the U.S. military, and if so, thank you for serving our country ... and I mean that. If you're there as a civilian contractor or aid worker ... keep your head down and pray.

The lag on the site makes me crazy too, and I have a 3.5Mbps DSL line. I have to think it's server limitations and traffic.

If you haven't heard the stereo yet, don't give up on it. Let your own ears decide, rather than listening to guys who play MegaDestruction CD's at 400 decibels and then complain about a lack of midrange definition and distortion in the basses. I personally think it has good enough sound that spending a ton to change it isn't worth the small improvement you'll get. Unless, of course, you're a professional sound technician ... and if so, what the hell are you doing listening to stuff on a car radio?

Can't give you any shops in CA, but any good auto upholstery shop can lay in some killer leather for about a grand. Most of this stuff is prefabbed to fit certain cars, so it usually looks and fits well no matter who does it. You could spend more and get a custom job, but get out your credit card.

HID's? Dunno 'bout those. Mine came with them, and they're good, but I don't know about aftermarket. You might start with clearcorners.com, who sell some legal aftermarket HID products.

Good luck!

Mike
Old 04-10-2004, 12:22 PM
Banned

Well, edditty, we both have something in common... We're both enjoying this "vacation" time in paradise!!! lol

I'm in the Middle East as well and missing my car dearly!!! I just bought it in Oct '03, and had to part w/ it for a few months to do my time out here in "Sunny Paradise" as well... lol

Had to leave my car w/ the wife...but she's taking good care of it, it seems...she's even washed it a few times w/ her own hands!!! Luckily, she has the Pathfinder to ferry the kids around in!

Well, just wanted to welcome you to the forum and let you know that you're not alone out here! Be safe!!!

PEACE!!!
Old 04-10-2004, 12:35 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

thx for the quick reply guys,

where are you in the middle east hofb99? anyway, good to see maxima brother out here.

i dont have the bose system in my car. i was a little weary about spending money on stuff that the dealer thought was a good idea. (obviously i dont really trust dealers) i also want to upgrade that screen with dvd/nav/tv type deal, but ill wait on that till i get home.

anyway, so no one has seen an upgraded system on these huh? and i will check out clearcorners.com. thx guys

edditty
Old 04-10-2004, 01:31 PM

(I gotta tell ya, when I saw the subject line "New Member", a chill went up my spine. I wondered what the heck happened to the original one ...

Mike)
Old 04-10-2004, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by Mike_TX
(I gotta tell ya, when I saw the subject line "New Member", a chill went up my spine. I wondered what the heck happened to the original one ...

Mike)
Maxima owners don't get "bobbited".
Old 04-10-2004, 02:15 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by edditty
thx for the quick reply guys,

where are you in the middle east hofb99? anyway, good to see maxima brother out here.

i dont have the bose system in my car. i was a little weary about spending money on stuff that the dealer thought was a good idea.
edditty
I'm over here just south of you in Qatar! Land of the world's largest natural gas reserve! Richest country "per capita"! Anyway...enough w/ the encyclopedia tidbits...

Yeah, I got the upgraded Bose. I like it. There are a lot of complaints from others because there isn't enough "boom" in the bass, but the sound quality is excellent. I can turn the volume up to 25 - 30 and there's absolutely NO distortion @ all from the 8" subs in the rear deck!

So what do you have on order? What color/options did you choose? I take it that you already checked mine out from my cardomain webpage...you like? Hope you got black!
Old 04-10-2004, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by hofb99
I'm over here just south of you in Qatar! Land of the world's largest natural gas reserve! Richest country "per capita"! Anyway...enough w/ the encyclopedia tidbits...

Yeah, I got the upgraded Bose. I like it. There are a lot of complaints from others because there isn't enough "boom" in the bass, but the sound quality is excellent. I can turn the volume up to 25 - 30 and there's absolutely NO distortion @ all from the 8" subs in the rear deck!

So what do you have on order? What color/options did you choose? I take it that you already checked mine out from my cardomain webpage...you like? Hope you got black!
I wondered what happened to you, Hof ... things have so peaceful around here lately.

Mike
Old 04-11-2004, 01:34 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

dang,

now i really wish that i had just gotten the bose system. i figured that i could just upgrade the system for cheaper. i hope that nissan or someone comes out with a aftermarket center console with room for a 1 or 2 din head unit. doesnt that make sense? im sure someone could make money with that idea. (hint hint)

hey hof, i dont know how it is in qatar, but i balad its starting to get pretty hariy. just keep your head down, and i will see you back stateside. that way you can help me install shiz on my car!!

another thing, does anyone know how much it would be to upgrade to hid headlights at the dealer? also, what kinds of aftermarket grilles are out for the 2004 maxima? i have seen the ones at stillen, but $200? thats kinda steep for some over glorified chicken wire!! anyway, just wondering.

thanks guys
edditty
Old 04-11-2004, 08:28 PM

edditty, bless you for your service to this country. Do all you can to stay safe so you come home to us in one piece. Again, bless you!
Old 04-16-2004, 07:32 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by edditty
dang,

now i really wish that i had just gotten the bose system. i figured that i could just upgrade the system for cheaper. i hope that nissan or someone comes out with a aftermarket center console with room for a 1 or 2 din head unit. doesnt that make sense? im sure someone could make money with that idea. (hint hint)

hey hof, i dont know how it is in qatar, but i balad its starting to get pretty hariy. just keep your head down, and i will see you back stateside. that way you can help me install shiz on my car!!

another thing, does anyone know how much it would be to upgrade to hid headlights at the dealer? also, what kinds of aftermarket grilles are out for the 2004 maxima? i have seen the ones at stillen, but $200? thats kinda steep for some over glorified chicken wire!! anyway, just wondering.

thanks guys
edditty
That's a bet! Take care of yourself out there!!! BTW, "true" HID headlight upgrade thru the dealer will cost you more than $2K... When I asked my dealer just to look up the part, it was something like $900 per headlight housing (because wiring has to be replaced as well), then you have to factor in labor to replace the whole thing, etc...etc... You can do the math from there. You may just want to ask around about just changing the bulb itself...but safely! Heard horror stories of guys trying to use aftermarket imitation HIDs and end up burning something up! See you back in the States!!!