6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

More noises (seat clicking and more dash board noises)

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2004, 06:56 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

More noises (seat clicking and more dash board noises)

Well, this past weekend I went on a 400 mile raod trip (was fun), but on the way home I started to notice more dashboard buzzes.... I have had one on the passenger side for a while (the dealer ship can never reproduce it of course), but this one is louder and on the driver's side. Unfortunately, both are very intermitant. I recall atleast one other member having dash noises. Has anyone got a resolution for them?

Also, just the other day my driver's seat started to make a "popping" sound when going around turns... it sounds like it is coming from the lower left part of the seat. I'm pretty sure there is nothing rolling around down there (coins, bottle, etc), and almost sounds like an electrical arc.... funny thing is, sometimes I also hear a similiar sound in the steering wheel at the same time (when coming out of a turn). I'm wondering if the wiring insulation got disturbed and perhaps is shorting out once in a while? It seems like everything still works correctly though.

All of the noises that I have in this car are starting to drive me crazy. The really loud noise from the engine compartment still hasn't been fixed (already attempted to fix it once), and they are supposedly waiting on a rental car to give me before trying to fix it again... been a month or more since they contacted me about this (even though I've called them many times since). I've heard of people emailing regional managers/etc for these kinds of things, so does anyone know the email address/phone number of the Midwest/Missouri regional manager? The squeeks, rattles, and other probmes (squeeky brakes, oddly shifting transmission, etc) are really bugging me.

Thanks!
Old 04-15-2004, 09:35 AM

My max (3k mile) has the same clicking noise from the driver's seat when I turn corners. It appears to be coming from the back right side of the seat. Hopefully the seat stays intact until I can get it back to the delaer.
Old 04-15-2004, 11:08 AM

Mines been doing that for a while now too.
Old 04-17-2004, 12:05 PM

Mine too...seems like the seat tracks have too much gap.....and makes the seat slightly move left or right (with a click) .....i will tell the dealer the next time I go.
Old 04-17-2004, 04:00 PM

My Altima did that but the Max has a power seat and there is no slack at all. Both seats are power.
Old 04-19-2004, 11:26 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I feel it more on a left hand turn, if we have anymore replies it could become a survey item.
Old 04-19-2004, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by Viper1
I feel it more on a left hand turn, if we have anymore replies it could become a survey item.
Is this a power seat that you are talking about?
Old 04-19-2004, 12:14 PM

Yes, power seats. I too feel it more when turing left.
Old 04-19-2004, 03:07 PM

My Altima did that but(crossing my fingers) the Max seems to be silent. My old ears don`t always hear the little sounds. LOL
Old 04-19-2004, 06:52 PM

My back is very sensitive. And I have noticed the pop in the drivers seat (SE with completely powered seat) almost since I bought the car. It feels like the seat pan shfts slightly from side to side. I have not heard or felt my steering wheel do anything at the same time. I have the 10 pages or so from the service manual that deal with the seat. My dealer couldn't duplicate the problem either. So I am going to try and figure out what is causing this from these diagrams.

The dealer even told me to disassemble the seat myself if I wanted to. I don't think so, but I will dig around inside of it. Hopefully this coming weedend.
Old 04-19-2004, 07:53 PM

Yup me too. I was wondering about this.

SL, both seats are power. Driver's seat is the problem.
Old 04-19-2004, 08:18 PM

as I said, I have the Front Seat Removal and Installation instructions pages from the Nissan service book. My dealer printed them out for me. Pages SE-104 to SE-109. It is a little simplified... I don't see the lumbar support that moves in the diagram, etc. I see 4 bolts in particular that hold the seatback and the seat pan to the seat frame. They are supposed to be torqued between 32-40 ft-lbs. I am betting that one or more of those are cross threaded and therefor not tight. But this diagram doesn't do it justice. I wonder if the other manuals of complete teardown and rebuilds are available.
Old 04-19-2004, 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by ethorn
My back is very sensitive. And I have noticed the pop in the drivers seat (SE with completely powered seat) almost since I bought the car. It feels like the seat pan shfts slightly from side to side. I have not heard or felt my steering wheel do anything at the same time. I have the 10 pages or so from the service manual that deal with the seat. My dealer couldn't duplicate the problem either. So I am going to try and figure out what is causing this from these diagrams.

The dealer even told me to disassemble the seat myself if I wanted to. I don't think so, but I will dig around inside of it. Hopefully this coming weedend.
Do you also feel the seat "give" a little? Mine will sometimes feel like the inside of the uppoer portion "falls back" about 1/4" to 1/2" during accelerations, sharp turns, or stops... don't know why. The dealer couldn't replicate the problem (guess he was a different build than I was), so I just found a new driving position and don't hear it nearly as often....
Old 04-20-2004, 03:15 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

My wife told me I was nuts when I said I thought the driver's seat was shifting while cornering....and I wondered if I was. Apparently not. I'll have to run by the dealership.
Old 04-20-2004, 06:29 AM

hmmm, I have terrible hearing of high pitched sounds. I have yet to hear this "pop". On one hand its good that my hearing is bad, because my car will appear flawless to me, and only me. Then again I could have major issues and not know it. Believe it or not, my firends are the ones to tell me when something is wrong with my car, becasue they are the ones to hear it. Granted this one hasnt seen any issues yet :-)
Old 04-20-2004, 08:06 AM

As I was driving on lunch today, I turned the radio off, turned off the air, and had it silent. I noticed some "clicking" coming from the dash as well. Seems to be a turning issue, like when i was left turning into my parking space. What could this be? something in the steering mechanics? this is gonna be friggin annoying.
We all prob should of waited and purchased the 2005 models instead, in hopes of them working out all the bugs.
Old 04-20-2004, 09:27 AM

can you scan or share the pages on how to dismount the seat....

thanks

X
Old 04-20-2004, 09:32 AM

DOes anybody know if there is a TSB related to the dashboard clicking we are all hearing?
Old 04-21-2004, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by Monotaur
Do you also feel the seat "give" a little? Mine will sometimes feel like the inside of the uppoer portion "falls back" about 1/4" to 1/2" during accelerations, sharp turns, or stops... don't know why. The dealer couldn't replicate the problem (guess he was a different build than I was), so I just found a new driving position and don't hear it nearly as often....
I do feel the leather give just above the lumbar region. Then I will feel it pop back if I lean forward.
Old 04-21-2004, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by XMan

thanks

X

I will see if i can get it scanned at work. If I can then I will send it to you via email.
Old 04-22-2004, 05:11 AM

Originally Posted by XMan

thanks

X
Do you know if the seat setup on the front seats is the same as the Altima? I have the ESM(electronic service manual) for the New altima on disc. I could sent you(via e-mail) the PDF(personal data file). RatWayne
Old 04-22-2004, 05:47 AM

Thank God I have not had a single problem with my MAX! Must love the Florida weather...
Old 04-22-2004, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by Viper1
I've been noticing over the last few days that I hear this significantly more when turning left than turning right... I've also felt my seat actually "slide" a little once or twice, which is slightly worrisome since the noise is getting more frequent. I'm going to bring this to my dealer's attention on Saturday when I get my oil changed.
Old 04-22-2004, 10:59 AM

damn Monotaur, I def hear the clicking crap when I turn, but i only hear when im like parking or soemthing. Havent felt the seat click or anything yet, I feel a click in the shift **** (automatic) if i leave my hand on it, usually clciks when i stop. are your struts noisy? i feel the struts clicking over bumps, sometimes in the back too.
im gonna tell the dealer too when i get the oil change next week. i feel like the dealer isnt gonna be able to tell, when are the dealers of help? I guess I dont mind the noises as long as I know the car is fine. I mean what car isnt going to be soundless.
Old 04-22-2004, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by Chris_RI
damn Monotaur, I def hear the clicking crap when I turn, but i only hear when im like parking or soemthing. Havent felt the seat click or anything yet, I feel a click in the shift **** (automatic) if i leave my hand on it, usually clciks when i stop. are your struts noisy? i feel the struts clicking over bumps, sometimes in the back too.
im gonna tell the dealer too when i get the oil change next week. i feel like the dealer isnt gonna be able to tell, when are the dealers of help? I guess I dont mind the noises as long as I know the car is fine. I mean what car isnt going to be soundless.
I had my rear shocks replaced after getting a squishing sound. The right rear had a flat spot(it moved with no pressure at all about 2 inches). My wife now says it is starting to do it again but I can`t do it on a test drive
Old 04-22-2004, 11:28 AM

do the max's use good hardware??? jeez, are these good stock struts???
Old 04-22-2004, 11:29 AM

the struts you gius are having replaced, are the faulty or just noisy?
Old 04-22-2004, 11:40 AM

My rear shocks(the rear are coils over shocks) and they were faulty and noisy.
Old 04-22-2004, 11:43 AM

do they have to remove them to tell if they are faulty
Old 04-22-2004, 11:46 AM

do they have to remove them to tell if they are faulty, im just trying to get an idea of how long this would take to check. All i have is an oil change scheduled.
Old 04-22-2004, 01:08 PM

They were noisy(like a squishing sound when I experiencied a dip in the road) I could feel them clunk a bit when hitting ruts, holes etc. in the road(but not too bad though). I took the mechanic out with me where this was happening and he said the noise is there. They were replaced and the noise was gone and the ride is MUCH better.
Old 04-22-2004, 01:14 PM

I just typed out a reply and it was lost somewhere in the system. I will try again. First I got the squishing noise from dips in the road, followed by a slight clunking when experiencing ruts in the road. I took the mechanic out and he said it is definately shocks. After removal he found the flat spot. Rear shock problems are common with Nissan.
Old 04-22-2004, 01:17 PM

P.S. My 02 Altima had same problems(I think the shocks are made by Konti or Monroe) They are Crap.Anyway I am getting the squish again(occasionally that is) I still have warranty and will go back to Nissan again if it continues.
Old 04-24-2004, 07:29 AM

I have the scan of the service pages... Currently they are in a TIF file, which is viewable by any image viewer you can buy or by Microsoft Imaging (free and comes with most versions of Office). I will try to convert them to PDF today.
Old 04-25-2004, 04:42 PM

I have a PDF now. if anyone wants the removal and installation instructions for the front seats let me know. it also shows how to dismantle the seat back, but unfortunately not the seat bottom.

Original TIFF image of all 6 pages is nearly 1MB zipped. The PDF is 303K (1/3MB) unzipped.
Old 04-26-2004, 03:21 AM

Originally Posted by ethorn
I have a PDF now. if anyone wants the removal and installation instructions for the front seats let me know. it also shows how to dismantle the seat back, but unfortunately not the seat bottom.

Original TIFF image of all 6 pages is nearly 1MB zipped. The PDF is 303K (1/3MB) unzipped.
I wonder if it is identical to the Altima? I know the Max seats have better material but the basic construction is probably the same.
Old 04-26-2004, 07:40 PM

Here are the FILES.

Since I haven't seen any moderator complain or discurage posting of these files here they are.

PDF File

TIFF File

The PDF has been compressed and lower image quality, it is about 300K. The TIFF is the original scanned image (viewable in most imaging products) is over 1MB or 1000K. Neither should take long to download no matter what the connection.. The PDF will be more viewable.

----Moderator---- If this is against any rules posting these then please remove the links and I will remove the files off of my server.
Old 04-27-2004, 05:29 AM

Thanx but the PDF is a speck and when I magnify it to the maximum it is blurred. I`ll try the TIFF.