6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Hello All!

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2004, 02:07 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hello All!

Dear Members,
I am new to this forum so I just wanted to say hi make this thread.

After months of deliberation, I've basically decided that I am going to purchase the 2004 (or 2005 probably by the time I get it) Maxima. I've already made my choice on getting the SE Manual w/ all of the packages (driver's preferred/elite) and opting for the power sunroof instead of the Skyview roof thing. Also I've always loved black cars so that will probably will be the color of both the exterior and interior. My friend's family has purchased over 4 Maximas and one SER-Spec V at their Nissan Dealership in Long Island, he's already talked with his dealer and with this I will probably get a great discount off of the MSRP of the Max. They've even offered him nearly $15k off of a price of a brand new Track 350Z! He's most likely selling his SER-Spec V for a Mitsu Evo 8. Haha. I'm not saying this to brag at all, but just to tell you as fellow buyers.

As for upgrades: I plan on tinting the windows naturally, getting new wheels, perhaps the Stillen Front Lip, and most of the performance parts (Chip, Intake, Exhaust, Pulleys).

Just some questions for the present owners of the 04 Max: In general how does everyone rate the performance of the Maxima in various weather conditions? For one's who have the elite package, how are the bucket seats in the back? Also how is the Stock stereo?

Thanks again and when I finally purchase the Maxima I will let you all know and post pictures.

-Patio
Old 04-15-2004, 02:16 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

How do you tint windows "naturally"? Using a combination of SPF-4 sunscreen, some Hawaiian Tropics tanning oil and the SoCal sunshine? Make sure you got the Aloe Vera wax in case you leave it in the sun too long.

In response to your other questions, I love the stock stereo, although I did add an amp and 2 10s in the trunk to give it some more bass. Then I added an mp3 10-disc changer in the trunk to give me access to about 1400 songs. I haven't driven it in snow, but it handles pretty well in rain.
Old 04-15-2004, 03:28 PM

To answer one of your questions, I personally think the Max handles very well. (And I have a 2001 BMW 540i to compare it to on a daily basis). Sure it's a little more nose-heavy, and sure there's some torque steer (duh, it's front-wheel drive!).

But the heavy nose turns out to be an asset in straight-line running, as it seems to resist wandering and crosswinds better than many front drivers. I've driven it pretty hard through tight curves and long sweepers, and I didn't find the fwd to be a handling problem at all. I'm sure if you drove it like Andretti, you'd get some "push" as you approached the limits of adhesion, but then again I'll bet you aren't good enough to be driving like that anyway.

I've taken my SE on two road trips, and those included some really hard downpours. The stock tires (Goodyear Eagle RSA's) handled the water really well ... no noticeable hydroplaning up to 70-75mph and plenty good traction. I can't vouch for ice and snow handling, since we don't allow that kind of nonsense down here in the sunny Southwest.

The car planes out nicely and runs flat, with no bobbing and porpoising on dips. You will hear more road noise than in some cars, especially on coarse pavement, and the tires will "thump" over pavement breaks and potholes. No biggie, IMO. Just run your tire pressure at 30psi cold and you'll get the best compromise of ride, noise and handling.

You'll love the mileage. Run nothing but premium and you should see 22+ mpg in town and 28+ on the highway. Even driving pretty aggressively.

I don't envy you the black/black decision (because of the upkeep), but that sure makes for a good-looking car. And I don't know what you mean by a "good deal", but you should be able to get a good $3,000 off list, maybe more.

Post pix when you get it!

Mike
Old 04-15-2004, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by patio furniture
Dear Members,
I am new to this forum so I just wanted to say hi make this thread.

After months of deliberation, I've basically decided that I am going to purchase the 2004 (or 2005 probably by the time I get it) Maxima. I've already made my choice on getting the SE Manual w/ all of the packages (driver's preferred/elite) and opting for the power sunroof instead of the Skyview roof thing. Also I've always loved black cars so that will probably will be the color of both the exterior and interior. My friend's family has purchased over 4 Maximas and one SER-Spec V at their Nissan Dealership in Long Island, he's already talked with his dealer and with this I will probably get a great discount off of the MSRP of the Max. They've even offered him nearly $15k off of a price of a brand new Track 350Z! He's most likely selling his SER-Spec V for a Mitsu Evo 8. Haha. I'm not saying this to brag at all, but just to tell you as fellow buyers.

As for upgrades: I plan on tinting the windows naturally, getting new wheels, perhaps the Stillen Front Lip, and most of the performance parts (Chip, Intake, Exhaust, Pulleys).

Just some questions for the present owners of the 04 Max: In general how does everyone rate the performance of the Maxima in various weather conditions? For one's who have the elite package, how are the bucket seats in the back? Also how is the Stock stereo?

Thanks again and when I finally purchase the Maxima I will let you all know and post pictures.

-Patio
Patio, I've got a couple words of advice for you. If you're looking to get the exact Maxima you want, I recommend starting your search early. If you have problems finding it, order your Maxima early. Manual transmission on a Maxima is rare and finding the exact one (6 spd, elite, sunroof, color combination) will be quite a challenge. It appears that the next production run for 6 spd Maximas will be in mid June, so if you plan on ordering, you can time it for the next production run. Your dealer should have it one to two months after production. So if you order you'll probably get your car in August.
Old 04-15-2004, 06:36 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

i meant naturally in the sense of "of course". sorry

thanks for all of your responses and comments!

edify, thanks for the ordering advice. i was going to wait a bit anyway and plan it for when the 05's were going to come in

mike: yeah that black can be a pain sometimes! my friends car gets disgusting in the snow...

chris: was it hard to install your stereo mods to the audio system?
Old 04-16-2004, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by chrisaust
How do you tint windows "naturally"? Using a combination of SPF-4 sunscreen, some Hawaiian Tropics tanning oil and the SoCal sunshine? Make sure you got the Aloe Vera wax in case you leave it in the sun too long.

In response to your other questions, I love the stock stereo, although I did add an amp and 2 10s in the trunk to give it some more bass. Then I added an mp3 10-disc changer in the trunk to give me access to about 1400 songs. I haven't driven it in snow, but it handles pretty well in rain.
Is the MP3 Changer done through an FM modulator?