6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Need some technical help

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2004, 04:17 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Need some technical help

O.k. here's the situation, I just got an 04 maxima and I'm wanting to get a third key for it and program it so it will start the car. I've done this for Ford Vehicles before but never on a Nissan, so I'm needing to know if any of you out there can tell me how it's done. I would let the dealership do it but I've always been one of those people who likes to do as much as they can themselves, plus the dealership said that I would have to drop my car off with them for the day and that really puts me in a bind.

So if any of you out there can help me out I would greatly appreciate it. Any info would be appreciated.
Old 04-25-2004, 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by millenniumGT
O.k. here's the situation, I just got an 04 maxima and I'm wanting to get a third key for it and program it so it will start the car. I've done this for Ford Vehicles before but never on a Nissan, so I'm needing to know if any of you out there can tell me how it's done. I would let the dealership do it but I've always been one of those people who likes to do as much as they can themselves, plus the dealership said that I would have to drop my car off with them for the day and that really puts me in a bind.

So if any of you out there can help me out I would greatly appreciate it. Any info would be appreciated.

I'm not too sure of this but, I think I remember seeing it in the manual. First, you will need a key with a chip in it from nissan. Have it cut. Stick one of the original keys in the ignition and start the car. Immediately take that key out and put the new key in and start also. It should start the car up. If it does then you are finished. Again don't quote me on this but, check the manual cuz I remember seeing it in there.

Good Luck.
Old 04-25-2004, 05:34 PM

Here's a TSB with the proper registration procedure for new keys:

http://maxima.theowensfamily.com/tsb/NTB03-031.pdf

Enjoy!