6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Driving Impressions

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2004, 10:03 AM
meh

Driving Impressions

Well, got my first real close look and drive of an '04 Max recently. A local dealer got in 2 identically-equipped, same color, everything, 6-speeds. I was interested because I have not even driven a 6-speed in my own year, let alone the new ones. Also, the '04s have really grown on me. I don't think they're beautiful, but it has it's own thing going on. Defintely distinctive.

Exterior: All new! No passing resemblence to mine at all. It looks big on the outside. Like the 18" wheels. Not the best design ever offered but didn't think they look bad, and I'm glad it's at least offered. I like the projector HID's, I love how they look coming at you. Dual exhaust! Also, what's up with nicer-looking engine bay on there now! TWO-TONE! Verry nice!

Interior: Wow! I love the suede-ish material that runs along the doors and (cool detail) up along the top of the dash. I also like how the 3-pod design sorta ties it to the 350Z (well, besides the 3-spoke steering wheel), I just kinda wish it didn't look like it had been kinda tacked on. I like the shape of the door-armrests, feels comfortable and looks contemporary. Seats are great, comfy and sporty looking, and nice to have the power on both sides (10 driver, 4 pass). I like the seating position better in this one. I feel like I sit kinda tall in mine, and I've notice that in my bf's Acura also. I prefer to sit a little lower in the car and this was improved. I sat in the back for a bit and I like the high beltline for the back seats, kinda lends a safe feeling I think. Nitpicking, I know but I also like that there are only 2 rear headrests, and they're not dumb looking. I hate being behind volkswagens and the like and they have three rear headrests. Totally unnecessary I think. And I kinda like the short back window. I would like the third brake light in the spoiler again though. I think the driver info display is pretty cool and "techie" looking, nice that you can control so many things with it, but didn't seem too complex like an i-drive or something. Redundant controls though, like in the HVAC you can either press the pass settings, or you can press the 'dual' control buttons...uhh...ok. Again, kinda nitpicking though.

Driving impressions : Love this engine with the 6-speed! Clutch feels pretty light and precise, and I'm no manual expert nor do I drive one horribly frequently, but I managed not to stall it or miss any gears. I'm confident I could drive it probably on a pretty regular basis and be fine with it. I also love the engine sound, not horribly obtrusive, but it's got a little more "growl", not sure if that's due to the manual characteristics, or the dual exhaust, or both, but very nice nonetheless! Also, ride is very nice, supple and controlled feeling (unlike mine sometimes) and it also seemed a bit quieter as far and road and wind noise. Another feature I liked is like I said above, it looks kind of like a big car just walking around it and stuff, but when you drive it, it doesn't. I don't feel any kind of boat-like qualities in any of the driving traits. Also seems the steering is "tighter" than on mine, which I like.

Overall: I do like it! I let my boyfriend drive it also because I kinda wanted to see him compare it to his Acura and I know there are some things this car has that his doesn't. Max has power tilt/telescoping wheel (he wishes his does), more seat controls (his driver is 8 way, no pass), two stage heated seats, and I think the seats just feel better and more comfortable, period. Heated steering wheel, and clutch was much simpler. He doesn't like how the clutch engages on his, and of course, how can you not like the VQ?! Say what you guys will about the BOSE, Ithink the output was pretty decent! Clear and has some decent bass. Doesn't this have like 2 factory 10" powered subs or something?

I think if my car was totalled today I would defintely look at the new Max also going by how reliable mine has been and how enjoyable a drive the new one is.
BTW, I know this car is built in America now (tennesse I think?) and I just wonder if that's a factor much on the new cars? Any of you with the more recent Maxes having many/if any problems?

And just so you guys know, this was a 04 SE in Onyx and black leather interior with the 6-speed, Driver Preferred Pckg, Sensory pckg, floormats and splashguards. MSRP was like $31.4 I think and they offered it for $29k since it didn't have sunroof and kinda iffy on the skyview. Oh, and has 1.9% right now so that's kinda nice. Sounded like a pretty good deal to me, 2g's off without really even haggling at all.

Anyways, sorry so long but had alot I wanted to share about the whole experience. Any thoughts/opinions/pros/cons/etc. you guys have I'd like to hear
Old 04-27-2004, 12:50 PM

You summed it up pretty well, I think. As for your question, I have to say "made in USA" hasn't meant anything negative in terms of build quality. I've had absolutely zero quality problems with my SE in its 13,500 miles ... it still doesn't have any rattles or mechanical problems, the body panels fit beautifully, nothing has fallen off , etc., etc.

I'm sure you'd be very happy with a new Max. Now, how are we gonna get your '03 totaled? Hmmmmm.

Mike
Old 04-27-2004, 01:48 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I traded a 10 month old 2003 Max for a 2004 Max bout 3 weeks ago. There's no looking back in comparison between the 2. I couldn't be happier with my new car even though l lost a few thousand bucks in depreciation.

Bob
Old 04-27-2004, 05:25 PM

One of the more detailed impressions of the '04 I have seen on this board. I enjoyed reading it.

Glad you are looking at one with the Driver Preferred package. That package is very important if you are going to let your boyfriend drive sometimes, as it enables personalized settings for seat, mirrors, steering wheel, etc, that can be reset for either of two people with the push of one button.

The heated steering wheel has gotten rave reviews from your northern neighbors this past winter. It gets warm within half a minute from cold startup!

Black is a very striking color, and will get you lots of admiring looks. I can't go with black down here in the deep south where most summer days are mid to upper nineties, and summer seems to be half the year. But if I lived in Minnesota . . .

Thanks for an unbiased, but detailed opinion on the '04 Maxima.
Old 04-27-2004, 09:20 PM
meh

Originally Posted by Mike_TX
You summed it up pretty well, I think. As for your question, I have to say "made in USA" hasn't meant anything negative in terms of build quality. I've had absolutely zero quality problems with my SE in its 13,500 miles ... it still doesn't have any rattles or mechanical problems, the body panels fit beautifully, nothing has fallen off , etc., etc.

I'm sure you'd be very happy with a new Max. Now, how are we gonna get your '03 totaled? Hmmmmm.

Mike
I've had my 03 for about 11 mos, and 17k and have only a stumble (happened when one cold morning it wouldn't shift out of park for about an half hour despite being warmed up; second issue was getting gas one morning after leaving work and when I was done it would not start for like 30 seconds, then all of a sudden it did and ran fine, and nothing since). Just regular maintenance and premium mobil gas. Overall, I am happy with it and I am usually kinda flighty with my cars as far as getting one and then wanting another. I've not truly experienced that feeling with my Max. Except when I drove the new one... I don't know if it's the newness, or the 6-speed, or the fact that it has all the options I'd want, the hellagood price, or what but I was really contemplating their deal for the rest of that evening.
Really the only thing holding me back is that someday I would like a second "fun" car be it a '01 C5, maybe a Firehawk , or G35 coupe...As much as I would enjoy having a new Max, going to a new car would postpone getting the other ride. Well, and also am moving out so can't be too spendy with the money right now.
Always nice to know what your options are though
Old 04-27-2004, 09:50 PM
meh

Originally Posted by lightonthehill
One of the more detailed impressions of the '04 I have seen on this board. I enjoyed reading it.

Glad you are looking at one with the Driver Preferred package. That package is very important if you are going to let your boyfriend drive sometimes, as it enables personalized settings for seat, mirrors, steering wheel, etc, that can be reset for either of two people with the push of one button.

The heated steering wheel has gotten rave reviews from your northern neighbors this past winter. It gets warm within half a minute from cold startup!

Black is a very striking color, and will get you lots of admiring looks. I can't go with black down here in the deep south where most summer days are mid to upper nineties, and summer seems to be half the year. But if I lived in Minnesota . . .

Thanks for an unbiased, but detailed opinion on the '04 Maxima.
Hehe....you think that was detailed? I was really just trying to address some of the more prominent features of the car, or just things that stuck out. Trust me, I coulda wrote lots more.... But I realize this is a message board, and not a novel forum lol....

I loved how the packages were well, packaged. The DPP with everything that you mentioned + HIDs, BOSE, and power folding mirrors, lol that is just so cool. Everything you would like/need without too many useless, gimmicky add-ons. Its nice the car comes fairly well optioned to begin with (power dl, wind, mirr), fold-down rear seats, and dual climate controls, etc. BTW, I did a little research and it has 2 8" powered subwoofers. ( I only have one. )

Oh gawwd.....the black.... I know pain the **** to keep clean and shows scratches, and on and on, but it's so sexy! And as for looks, I wasn't really checking anyone out on my drive but I still felt like a pimp. Even a year later the new Maxes (well, Maxes of any year) are not horribly common around my area.

I'm happy my little impressions have gotten favorable reviews so far (or at least those of you who have posted). I'm not a hater and I defintely am not out to start anything. I like my car, but I like the new one too. I would be more than happy to have to drive that Oynx example on a regular basis, sunroof or no.