6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Let the battle begin..

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2004, 04:34 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Let the battle begin..

Just started shopping for 2004 SE (Base) for my wife. Almost bought the car till the sales manager tried to play with the numbers to their advantage. Basically I had them down to 24500 bt 25988 wt. Was ready to buy the car then. (I was shocked "Hey first dealer and I'm already done.") Until the sales manager came back and said "OK, we are all set 25988 + tax." Needless to say I cut him off before he could say another word. He tried to double talk me, but thanks to alot of help from this board and other places, he gave up and just plain said he couldn't do the price. I didn't want to up my price even though I wasn't expecting to get it for that low. I say 25k is reasonably for a base model SE. Thanks for all the help with posts.

So it's off to the next dealer tomorrow.

P.S. Chris_RI, you know it's a small state when two Rhode Islanders are on the same board.
Old 04-29-2004, 05:03 PM

I would make the deal out over the phone or on the internet. Contact the fleet manager, tell them that you will give them 25500 for a base model Maxima including all expenses. See what they say, talk from there. You can usually get a good deal that way, plus you can call multiple dealers and get them to start bidding against each other.
Old 04-29-2004, 05:16 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

That's a great idea. I'm gonna try one more place tomorrow (Good reason to leave work early) then I'm gonna do exactly what your saying. Unless of course this guy gives me what I want. Although this one place has a used (10K) SE; I might see what he's willing to part with that for, and then get an extended warranty. But if all that fails, I'm just gonna start calling, cause dealing with sales people is gonna get old really quick.

Thanks for the help. Appreciate it.

Wish I could make a donation to this board, but it seems you can't for the time being.
Old 04-30-2004, 03:58 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Hey Scott_401, YEa it is a small state. I bought from Norwood in Warwick. Great deal, had to haggle for a while, they started so high etc... I shopped around came back etc... Anyways, If your gonna buy from Norwood or anywhere really, when you test drive, drive with the radio off, windows down, and tell the salesman to shutup so you can listen to your suspension. I never did this entirely and now I'm regrettign it because my suspension is really noisy, has to be looked at on Monday. Also, Knights Nissan in Warwick has good deals as well, and I hear there service is superior, I may have to go there for service if Norwood cant fix my suspension noises.
Good Luck
Old 04-30-2004, 04:07 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I was actually at Norwood yesterday . The sales manager was like them all, so I walked. I am heading to Fireside up in Attleboro today. See what they say, plus they have a used one that I might see what I can get for. I'll will most likely be going to Knight's for service, especially since I live in Coventry, so it's close.

Wondering if you buy a used Nissan if you lose part of the warranty. I know some makes that offer the 10yr/100k warranty only apply if you are the first owner of the vehicle.
Old 04-30-2004, 04:25 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

That extended warranty is a dealership thing, I know at Inskip, they honor that on certified preowend volvos and bmw's, I doubt it on a maxima though. Yea, I should probably go to Knights for service as well. I was gonna buy the car there but they didnt have one on the lot and I saved about 200 bucks at Norwood. Ah well. Norwood has always been good in the past, but up until recently they dont seems to care about my suspension issue.
Old 04-30-2004, 05:22 AM

Find a "no haggle dealer" to start with. Then use their price and the invoice price against other dealers you can contact via a broadcast e-mail. It will narrow the window for haggling considerably.
Old 04-30-2004, 08:43 PM

I was able to get my Max for 24.5k here in CT, not too far away from you. Just add in DMV & taxes. Base Max SE w/ auto/mud guards/trunk carpet :P If I was able to get it here you should be able to get something similar. 25k is still a very fair price. I'd go 25.5k for my model as is if finances were in a little better shape, but a man only wanted to spend 24k that day. They were going to let me go for the 500$ so I decided that 24.5k was acceptable at the time and now I can't believe that I almost walked out. The car is awesome.