6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Somebody selling Nav, Will this really work?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2004, 05:51 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Somebody is selling Nav, Will this really work?

I saw on EBAY http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=38653 somebody selling their center console with the dvd player/cdplayer and display.

Now will this work if we put this in an 04 that doesnt have NAV? I mean we still need GPS Receivers\Antennas right? Where do those get mounted?

Is this Auction Legit? If so, sounds like a real easy way to get some NAV.
Old 04-30-2004, 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by Chris_RI
I saw on EBAY http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=38653 somebody selling their center console with the dvd player/cdplayer and display.

Now will this work if we put this in an 04 that doesnt have NAV? I mean we still need GPS Receivers\Antennas right? Where do those get mounted?

Is this Auction Legit? If so, sounds like a real easy way to get some NAV.

I'd want a few more pics if I were you. What is pictured here is just the panels from the dash. No screen (what you see is the screen COVER on the panel), no electronics at all are pictured. You will need the following electronics "boxes" to make a conversion and to actually have what the auction lists:

1- Unified Meter and A/C Amp (box directly under screen in dash behind panel)
2- Display control unit (next box under Unified meter box in dash behind panel)
3- Audio Unit (next box down, containing CD changer and cassette unit)
4- NAVI unit (DVD drive and electronics for nav. Bottom box behind false panel in console storage compartment)
5- The color Nav LCD screen

If you are missing any of the above, don't bother IMHO. Outright purchasing any of these directly from Nissan will be quite pricey.

If it's the Bose system, you'll also need the amp that's under the rear deck in the trunk.

For the Nav, the antenna is all you'll need. That part is behind the "security" light panel at the top of the dash. It's a little square box that is held in with one screw and has a single wire that goes to the DVD nav unit (#4 above).

With all that said, you will have to find out if the wiring harness in your max is the same as those that ship with Nav. IF (and I don't know the answer to this) Nissan uses a different harness, you won't be prewired for the DVD nav unit and GPS antenna. This would make it all but impossible to retrofit the factory Nav. To check this, pull your dash apart and look for a couple of "extra" multipin plugs down at the bottom of the stack where the DVD unit would reside.

IF in fact the ebay auction contains all the electronics boxes I've listed, it is a great deal! If it's just the dash panel as pictured, don't bother.
Old 04-30-2004, 06:36 AM

Yea I had a feeling it was just the dash, because Why wouldnt he picture everything. I emailed him with questions.
I really wish I got the nav, I just couldnt justify spending the extra lute. I bet you love it though right? Man, I hate looking at my bare screen. ahaha
Old 04-30-2004, 07:05 AM

Yes, I do love the Nav. I've used laptop-based systems in the past, and the factory unit just seems to be more a "part of the vehicle". Let me know what you find out from the auctioner. I might be slightly interested in just the panel for an upcoming PC install project!
Old 04-30-2004, 08:33 AM

PC install? as in Personal Computer?
Old 04-30-2004, 09:32 AM

Yepper! Going to do a PC with DVD under the passenger seat with a 7" touch screen mounted on a hinge in the area between the A/C controls and the lower storage compartment. This will cover the CD and Cassette holes, but since I'll have virtually unlimited MP3 storage on the PC, who needs those anyway. I will still be able to load CD's and (perish the thought) cassettes by tiliting the screen down if I want though. Installing this will give me:

MP3 storage
DVD player
Picture Storage/Video Storage
Email/Internet access via my Sprint phone
MS Word/Excel (work applications)
Camcorder playback (through firewire)
Even webcam/dashcam/backup cam capabilies!

Yes, I'm a gadget guy

Anyway, it would be nice to have the extra console panel to do my install with, saving the original to put back when I trade in a few years so I can move the PC to my next car.
Old 04-30-2004, 10:03 AM

Well thats sounds pretty crazy, nice project for one to work on. How will you keep this sucker powered? I bet the panel would be cheaper elsewhere, if all you need it the panel ya know?
This doesnt sound too expensive, perhaps only the monitor. Hmmm you got me thinking now because I'm a gadget guy as well. You could probably buy just like a GPS receiver and use the PC to handle that as well, because I'm sure theres PC software to handle Navigation.
Keep me posted if you go any further with this, sounds like a cool idea
Old 04-30-2004, 10:30 AM

Welllllllll..... since you're a gadget guy too........

http://www.logisysus.com/product/smallest-pc.htm

Many of the models are 12vdc powered and even boot automatically when you start the car!

If you are wanting nav, getting a delorme street atlas with a USB antenna would be perfect for this.
Old 04-30-2004, 12:17 PM

There is this kit that may work for you
http://www.autotoys.com/x/cust/produ...cat=412&page=1
Old 04-30-2004, 03:33 PM

Yeah, I saw that, but I'm keeping the factory Bose system so I'd need the factory console piece. I think I have found a way to mount the screen that only requires 4 very small holes in the face of the panel. I can dress these later when I go to sell it with 4 stainless allen head bolts and make it look like they belong there. That would be much less expensive than forking over a couple of hundred for a new panel to play with.