6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

rear window visibility

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2004, 11:41 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

rear window visibility

I have an 03, test drove an 04 sl 5speed today, two things bothered me. need opinions on this, first was the rear window angle and seeing out of it. do you have any problems with the extreme rake of the window? Second the steering wheel, I wanted to tilt it down further to a comfortable postion but then couldn't read the speedometer, I am 6ft tall and had the seat on the floor. Does anyone else experience these problems? My 03 max feels faster, but the 04 feels like the engine is smoother, still powerful, but not quite as quick. any help on this subject would be appreciated.
Old 05-06-2004, 11:57 AM

I can relate because I went from a '02 to a '04. I am also 6' 4" / 225lbs. I, too, noticed that the rear window had less visibility than the previous models. But it's just the initial shock. You get used to it very quickly. Visibility in the new Max is excellent as far as I'm concerned, especially for a car that perfoms the way it does. As for the gauge cluster being blocked by the steering wheel, it's only a problem if you lower the steering wheel too much to block it. It is a poor design, but not that big of a problem IMO. Besides, I'm to concerned watching the road/track in front of me to care how fast I'm going!
Old 05-06-2004, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by jgibson146
I have an 03, test drove an 04 sl 5speed today, two things bothered me. need opinions on this, first was the rear window angle and seeing out of it. do you have any problems with the extreme rake of the window? Second the steering wheel, I wanted to tilt it down further to a comfortable postion but then couldn't read the speedometer, I am 6ft tall and had the seat on the floor. Does anyone else experience these problems? My 03 max feels faster, but the 04 feels like the engine is smoother, still powerful, but not quite as quick. any help on this subject would be appreciated.
only visibility problem is parking in a tight spot. rear visibility not great but i'm going to try a bigger mirror.
Old 05-06-2004, 07:15 PM

I noticed the rear window seemed tiny, but I got used to it pretty quickly. As for the steering wheel, that is one thing that annoys me too, but it's not that big of a deal.
Old 05-07-2004, 09:39 AM

Maybe it's a function of my being only 5'9", but the steering wheel/gauge relationship in the Maxima is as good as in any car I've ever driven, and better than most. Of course, I don't have the seat on the floor, either.

As for you dudes over 6', let me ask you this: Is there any car that fits you well? There's only so much adjustment that can be built into seats and gauge clusters, and when you have to put the seat "on the floor" or in the back seat because of your height, the only way to make everything visible is to have the gauges move with the wheel (a la G35).

Having said that, I frequent the G35 forums, too, and there are tall guys over there with the same complaints. I guess the bottom line is that most people the world over are less than 6' tall, and therefore the range of optimal seat and gauge adjustments just ain't geared to you. Sorry.

As for the back window ... visibility problem? What visibility problem? I haven't noticed any.

Mike
Old 05-07-2004, 02:19 PM
Old Maxima Legend

im 6'4" also and have the same thing going on in my 97, i test drove last week with my mom, and noticed that the rear window was small but it really hit me when i was driving. you do get use to it, and i think its pretty cool.

i couldnt get over how tight the steering was, but the feel was real nice.

i didnt really have a problem getting the steering wheel and seat in a good driving position, but didnt think about the speedo.

as for power get a manual im thinking, the 04 looks like it would be heavier than the 02-03

here is a pic of moms new o4 and it appears much biggger than my 97

Old 05-07-2004, 02:42 PM
Moderator GT-R

Originally Posted by Ceasars Chariot
im 6'4" also and have the same thing going on in my 97, i test drove last week with my mom, and noticed that the rear window was small but it really hit me when i was driving. you do get use to it, and i think its pretty cool.

i couldnt get over how tight the steering was, but the feel was real nice.

i didnt really have a problem getting the steering wheel and seat in a good driving position, but didnt think about the speedo.

as for power get a manual im thinking, the 04 looks like it would be heavier than the 02-03

here is a pic of moms new o4 and it appears much biggger than my 97

The 04 is a hoot to drive. It is bigger and heavier than your car. I've never had a 4th gen but I don't miss my 5th gen at all.
Old 05-18-2004, 09:36 PM

Ya.. When i have the steering wheel the most comfortable i cannot see the top of the speedometer... but basically i know 65mph or so is at the top.. so no problems with that..

as for the back window being slanted.. when i testdrove i thought it was a shock, but then i adjusted to it.... HOWEVER i did run into a person crossing the street while driving down the street in reverse.. however he was j-walking.. and i wasnt really looking for any people in the street, just cars...
Old 05-18-2004, 10:58 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by jgibson146
I traded in my 03 Max for an 04 a few weeks ago and couldn't be happier.

Seeing out of the rear window does require some getting used to. I got used to it and have no problems.

When i first got my Max i noticed that i coudn't see the top of the speedo as well (i'm 5'11"). After a few weeks of tweaking my seating position and steering wheel position i have it set where i can see the speedo fine. Don't know about the one you test drove, but my Max does have the tilt and telescoping steering column.

Bob