6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

spoiler

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2004, 11:14 AM

spoiler

Purchased one of those "non Nissan" spoiler from spoiler.com and now my Trunk sensor won't turn off. It seems that the weight of the spoiler is the problem. Has anyone else had this same problem with that type of spoiler. I got it on a 04 SE. The installer said that Hondas had a similar problem a few years ago and they issued new springs to fix it. Guess he was talking about trunk springs. Let me know if anyone else has this problem and how you fixed it.
Old 05-15-2004, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by JayMAX22
Purchased one of those "non Nissan" spoiler from spoiler.com and now my Trunk sensor won't turn off. It seems that the weight of the spoiler is the problem. Has anyone else had this same problem with that type of spoiler. I got it on a 04 SE. The installer said that Hondas had a similar problem a few years ago and they issued new springs to fix it. Guess he was talking about trunk springs. Let me know if anyone else has this problem and how you fixed it.
If your trunk sensor is not turning off when you have your trunk closed, I am thinking that maybe your trunk sensor wire got grounded or pinched. Most likely when your installer was putting it on, he might have pinched the wire or even grounded it out. Was your spoiler screw on?
Old 05-15-2004, 01:17 PM

He is definitely talking about trunk lid springs; I have had to change to heavier trunk springs at times in the past after adding a spoiler.

I'm not familiar with the sensor you are talking about, or what it is measuring. As Nissan does not have a heavy spoiler available for this car, they will not have stronger trunk springs available.

I would think the purveyors of these aftermarket spoilers might be one place to check; their business depends on satisfied customers.

Good luck.
Old 05-15-2004, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by rabenoja
If your trunk sensor is not turning off when you have your trunk closed, I am thinking that maybe your trunk sensor wire got grounded or pinched. Most likely when your installer was putting it on, he might have pinched the wire or even grounded it out. Was your spoiler screw on?

Yes it's screw on. You can see the spoiler at spoilerdepot.com. It's the custom spoiler. I've emailed them and hopefully they will get back to me by Tuesdy or I will have to call. I will check out the wires but I'm sure I won't find anything wrong with them. The installer did a very good job but you never know. I don't want to take it to the dealer because I know they will charge me both arms and both legs to say that they can't help me.
Old 05-15-2004, 08:34 PM

After rereading this thread and thinking about things, it seems to me the only thing the trunk sensor could be for is to alert you to the fact the trunk lid is not closed.

If that is the case, the weight of the spoiler is probably not the problem. I would lean more toward what rabenoja suggests: somehow, someway, something happened to a wire related to the sensor that detects that the trunk lid is not closed.

One of the mounting screws could have shorted out a wire, or perhaps they disconnected or broke a wire while mounting the new spoiler. Or maybe they actually hit or shifted or otherwise interfered with the sensor itself.

It could even be something flukey, such as: Did they remove the trunk lid while installing the spoiler? If so, they could have pulled a wire before realizing it was there, then disconnected it before taking the lid completely off. They then reconnected it when they put the lid back on, not realizing they had already pulled the connection loose at a point not visible just looking in the trunk.

I know how you feel about taking this situation to the dealer. I would first take it to the folks who put the spoiler on. They created the problem, and like, rabenoja suggests, I don't think the weight of the new spoiler is the problem.
Old 05-15-2004, 09:23 PM

spoiler

I hear you. Thanks for your opinion. I already spoke to the guys that installed the spoiler and they think it's a car issue and not their fault. I'm going to continue to speak to them about this and try to negotiate a "what if" scenario. If the dealer says it was a short or ground issue then the installer reimburse me for the cost of getting it fixed. Probably won't work but you never know. Thanks again. Oh yeah, the MAX got me a nice honey tonight !!!! She's never seen a Max with a spoiler like that so she had to ask about it and that's all I needed !!!! See you on the highway.
Old 05-15-2004, 09:44 PM

I hear you. Thanks for your opinion. I already spoke to the guys that installed the spoiler and they think it's a car issue and not their fault. I'm going to continue to speak to them about this and try to negotiate a "what if" scenario. If the dealer says it was a short or ground issue then the installer reimburse me for the cost of getting it fixed. Probably won't work but you never know. Thanks again. Oh yeah, the MAX got me a nice honey tonight !!!! She's never seen a Max with a spoiler like that so she had to ask about it and that's all I needed !!!! See you on the highway.

Well, if you do take it to the dealer then they are most likely going to say that it's got something to do with the spoiler. But then again it depends on the dealer and how aftermarket friendly they are.

Does your trunk open icon in your dash always stay on? Right as soon as you start the car or what? I'm assuming that you did not have this problem before you had the spoiler installed.

Anyway, if you are going to check the wires out, I can tell you that the trunk pin is purple with a white trace. I usually get it inside the car under the driver's dash @ the BCM (Body Control Module). The BCM is located in between the steering column and the fuse box, the purple/white is pin number 48. This wire should only show a ground when the trunk is open. If the trunk is closed, it should not see a ground at all.

I don't know if the wire changes color from the back of the trunk to the BCM so, it might not be the same color in the trunk.

Good Luck and OH, it's got to be a nice wing if it's picking up some girls for you already!!!
Old 05-15-2004, 10:34 PM

Did that spoiler come with a wiring harness that plugged right into a harness by the trunk. I emailed spoilerdepot.com about 3 weeks ago about it and they never responded. I will take a peek at my trunk tomorrow morning to see if I can offer a suggestion, but I agree with the others that it sounds like they didn't reconnect a wire properly somewhere.
Old 05-16-2004, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by AngryPotato
Did that spoiler come with a wiring harness that plugged right into a harness by the trunk. I emailed spoilerdepot.com about 3 weeks ago about it and they never responded. I will take a peek at my trunk tomorrow morning to see if I can offer a suggestion, but I agree with the others that it sounds like they didn't reconnect a wire properly somewhere.
Not sure about the wiring harness. The UPS guy dropped it out off and I went straight to the installer. The trunk icon on the dash (meter/gauges) stays on. The trunk warning phrase on the Display Screen pops up only when I'm moving. Once I stop, the warning on the screen goes away but the icon on the dash stays on. Both the warnings went away for about 5 minutes. I thought it was fixed but it started again shortly after. It's definitely a wiring issues. I MIGHT take a look at the wiring but I won't make any changes.
Old 05-17-2004, 05:44 AM
andymax95

post pics when you can

Old 05-17-2004, 08:12 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I have the same spoiler on my Max, and no problem with the trunk sensor. The trunk now IS very heavy, but that wouldnt explain why the sensor would stay on. I unplugged the rear deck brake light and spliced the spoiler brake light to that, and I've had no problems, except the screws they sent with the spoiler weren't long enough, so I'm using some random other ones that are coming loose quite often, well one is, so I need to get to Home Depot and get some longer ones.
Old 05-17-2004, 08:22 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Get a small tube of red locktite. Put a drop on the bolt and the nut won't back off after you install it.

Alternately get a locking nut for the bolts. Preferably a nylon style so it won't dig into the metal and promote rust.
Old 05-17-2004, 10:03 AM

That sucks, didn't have that problem with mine, the only one i had was it was missing a screw for the brake light.
Old 05-17-2004, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by Mystery_Man
That sucks, didn't have that problem with mine, the only one i had was it was missing a screw for the brake light.
I know it came with locking nuts and the trunk is definitely much heavier. I have an appointment with my local dealer service center Thursday. I will let you guys know how that comes out. Wish me luck with the payment dept (smile).
Old 05-20-2004, 11:02 AM

I know it came with locking nuts and the trunk is definitely much heavier. I have an appointment with my local dealer service center Thursday. I will let you guys know how that comes out. Wish me luck with the payment dept (smile).
UPDATE

Dealer looked at my problem and he had "good news and bad news". Good news is the BCM said the problem is in Modular 21. Bad news is there's no Modular 21 in the car. Now they are looking at the BCM being bad. They are also contacting "higher powers" about the bogus error showing up. Now the alarm on the car goes off for no reason also. More info as it comes in.