6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Warped Rotors

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2004, 12:38 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Warped Rotors

New to posting to this board but I've been following it for a long time. I own an 04 Max SE 6 spd w/17k miles. Beginning to notice a considerable wabbling of my steering wheel when applying brakes. More noticeably on hard stops. I had similar problem with my 99 Max and changed over to Brembo rotors which resolved the problem. I know that the Nissan OEM rotors are junk, but I thought they would have resolved that issue with the 2004 model. I thought wrong. Anyone else experiencing similar problem ? Otherwise, trouble-free and performance plenty.
Old 05-18-2004, 01:22 PM
Moderator GT-R

I'm at 17k and nothing yet. I had an AE and it didn't start until about 23k.
Old 05-18-2004, 05:31 PM
Banned

Had my front rotors turned last week at 9K miles. Bad vibe while braking at speed. Turning cured it, but at only 9K????

I always brake gently too. Eradispeeds in my Max's future.
Old 05-18-2004, 06:16 PM

Mine were turned around 12000 miles and im at 28,000 now and it is absolutely horrible. Im not stressin much about it. Il just wait for some nice replacements.
Old 05-18-2004, 08:58 PM

I am disappointed to see several with warped rotors at less than 20k miles. I remember having warped rotors a few decades ago because the techs were using an air wrench and overtightening the wheels. I don't know if tht '04 Maxima setup is such that overtightening the wheels could warp the rotors.

Unless the Nissan techs turned my rotors without telling me (as part of one of the 'routine maintenance' packages), my 2K SE went 60K without the rotors being touched.

The '04 rotors are wider in diameter and thicker than the 2K rotors; I would have hoped for better service, not worse.
Old 05-20-2004, 06:43 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I too am disappointed to see rotor issues on a $32k+ automobile at low mileage. Fortunately, I have'nt had the need to stress my brakes and I've religously rotated my tires ensuring that a torque stick was used. But, that said, does anyone know where to get Brembo rotors that will fit the '04? Or, are there other reputable brands available ? Thanks fo your input.
Old 05-20-2004, 07:32 AM

You guys have it good. I had my rotors turned at 4000 miles and then replaced at 11000 miles. I now have about 2000 on the new ones and now problems as of yet.
Old 05-20-2004, 06:50 PM
Banned

Recommended rotors? Baer Eradispeeds. One piece, slotted and drilled with zinc coatings for no rusting. Got 'em on my Cobra. Great braking and bling bling.
Old 05-21-2004, 06:42 AM
andymax95

If you are doing excessive speeds and braking hard, you are gonna get a warped rotor. Oem materials aren't meant to handle that kind of abuse. I would know cause when my brakes start to get warm the vibrations start to become a factor for me

Old 05-21-2004, 06:57 AM

Well im glad to see it is not just me with the warped rotors after a few thousand miles, I know when mined happened was i had a panic stop on the interstate and after that they were done. Just dont understand that they cant handle one panic stop without warping, all the american cars i have had i never warped any rotors and they all had hard braking and panic stops on them also. You would think they would be better. Does any one know if the Brembos from the Z will fit on the Max?
Old 05-21-2004, 03:26 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

My car started to turn left when braking since 8,000 miles. I was wondering what happened to my brakes... This is some f***** up s***... I paid lots of money for this?!?!

Anyways... can anyone tell me how much it would cost to fix this problem (cost to replace to new rotors)? and what would happen if I just ride with a warped rotor? Would I somehow do an overall damage to the car or just minor braking pad issues?
Old 05-21-2004, 09:49 PM

koreanmax - a car pulling to the side during braking is a big sign something is wrong. Problems with the rear brakes can cause some pulling, but this is much more likely to be a problem up front, as the front does most of the braking when stopping from speed.

This is not something likely to get better on its own. It is something that you really need to take care of, as we especially need complete control when braking.

I'm no brake expert, but we can sort of take a few guesses about this.

If the pulling is immediate as you apply pressure to the pedal, the right front is probably not working properly. Could be many things. The calipers may not be closing properly, the piston or slide may not be moving freely, or the brake hose may not be moving the fluid (crimped?) etc.

In the unlikely case where the pulling is more noticable as you are easing up on the brakes, then something (caliper?) is not releasing properly on the left front.

For safety, most car's brakes have a dual system, where one system serves the left front and right rear wheels, while the other system serves the right front and left rear wheels. As the front wheels do most of the braking when traveling at speed, the failure of one of these systems will cause the car to pull to the side away from the front wheel not doing any braking. IF this is your problem, that would mean the system serving your right front and left rear is not working properly.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

While we are already under the car and covered with grease (i.e., deep into pontification about brakes), we could mention some of the things (other than weak design or poor products) that can cause warped rotors.

A caliper that does not properly pull away from the rotor when the pedal is released (and this does actually happen) is death on the rotor. Even though it may be barely touching the rotor and not actually braking, the heat buildup over the miles will warp the rotor. For the caliper to work properly, the slide and piston must both be working properly, and the caliper must travel freely to and from the rotor.

It is possible for a faulty power brake booster to move the calipers gently against the rotors, which would build up heat and warp all four in fairly short order.

Of course we all know about drivers that rest their left foot 'gently' on the brake pedal. No need to go there . . .

Folks more into brakes than I am could add other possibilities for your consideration. But you really need to find out why your brakes pull. This is no 'cosmetic ding' we are talking about.

Please let us know what the mechanic finds.
Old 05-22-2004, 07:42 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Lightonthehill,

Thanks for your concern. I'll definitely not take this issue lightly, and try to find some time to talk to a mechanic...