6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Do tinters use solvents or chemicals that could cause this ? (pic inside)

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2004, 12:17 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Revised: STAY AWAY FROM BUG SPRAY ! Do tinters use solvents that could cause this ?

I just noticed this last night (Friday) while cleaning my car:

I had my windows tinted a few days ago. I didn't notice the above when i picked up my car (if it was even there at that point?). I know that there was no damage to the door trim last Sunday when i cleaned it. The tint install was Tuesday.

When i touched the spot if felt rubbery. When i rubbed it trying to remove the rubbery stuff , it took the finish right off of the trim.

I went to the tinters today to complain. They told me that the only solution that they use in the car is Windex to clean the windows and baby shampoo on the window to help position the tint. They said that it was impossible for them to have caused the damage. Who knows maybe they didn't ? I know nothing about tinting. Do they normally apply or use strong solvents in the process of installing tint ?

Now i need to fix this or it will drive me crazy. Does anyone know if these things (trim) just pop off ?

Now this is a long shot, but could OFF Mosquito repellent cause this ? I was wearing shorts yesterday and my wife shot me with OFF about 5 minutes before i got in the car to go to the store. I noticed the damage after i came back. The spot is right where my leg touches the trim ? Could OFF lift paint off of plastic ? Wierd coincidence.

Tks Bob
Old 05-22-2004, 12:24 PM

SB04,

have you tried Mr. Clean Magic Eraser on it yet? that *might* help .. ?

max0002
Old 05-22-2004, 12:24 PM

Wow, that sucks.

I don't know if mosquito spray would do something like that but, who knows. The good news is that those plastic trims just pop off. The bad news is who knows how much they will cost at the dealer.

Is the damage just on your side of the car?
Old 05-22-2004, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by rabenoja
Wow, that sucks.

I don't know if mosquito spray would do something like that but, who knows. The good news is that those plastic trims just pop off. The bad news is who knows how much they will cost at the dealer.

Is the damage just on your side of the car?
That's the only spot. BTW..thanks for the good news, but the bad news is probably gonig to hurt !
Old 05-22-2004, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by maxima0002
SB04,

have you tried Mr. Clean Magic Eraser on it yet? that *might* help .. ?

max0002
Thanks for the suggestion, but the darker spot is where the paint is gone from the trim.

Bob
Old 05-22-2004, 12:41 PM

If that is the only spot then, it might have been the bug off. Weird. Hope that trim doesn't cost that much.
Old 05-22-2004, 01:06 PM
KC's FINEST

My neighbor tints. They dont use any chemicals besides glass cleaner. Ive got a small area like that on my drivers door. But mine came from my carhart coveralls. Theres a button type thing on the side of the knees where they zip. ****ed me off

New pics of my rides
Old 05-22-2004, 01:21 PM

I just did an experiment. I figured that my trim is messed up anyways. So i just rubbed some "OFF" Mosquito spray on the door trim. I let it sit for a few minutes and then rubbed it with my finger. I was able to rub the paint right OFF of the trim. Check out the pic below (the dark spot on the left is where i did my little test and where the paint rubbed off):

You'll notice in the first pics that i posted earlier, that the spot on the left wasn't there.

My test was not scientific by any means, but it sure looks like it isn't a good idea to wear OFF bug spray on your bare legs (or passengers) let your skin touch the trim of your Max or this might happen to you too.

KCmaxx: Tks for the info RE: tinters

Bob
Old 05-22-2004, 01:45 PM

This shows how quality of parts went down with nissan
Old 05-22-2004, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by SilverBelle04
I just did an experiment. I figured that my trim is messed up anyways. So i just rubbed some "OFF" Mosquito spray on the door trim. I let it sit for a few minutes and then rubbed it with my finger. I was able to rub the paint right OFF of the trim. Check out the pic below (the dark spot on the left is where i did my little test and where the paint rubbed off):

You'll notice in the first pics that i posted earlier, that the spot on the left wasn't there.

My test was not scientific by any means, but it sure looks like it isn't a good idea to wear OFF bug spray on your bare legs (or passengers) let your skin touch the trim of your Max or this might happen to you too.

KCmaxx: Tks for the info RE: tinters

Bob
Let me know the price you get. I have the same damage to this poorly designed part. Mine was caused by a large musical keyboard box in the back seat. It had a few inches clearance on both sides, but as I drove and it shifted from side to side, it rubbed the paint right off those pieces on both sides where it touched. My only complaint with the Max thus far, so I guess I'm in pretty good shape. When I get replacements, I think I'll try giving them a couple of coats of clear to protect them.
Old 05-22-2004, 04:58 PM
Moderator GT-R

Originally Posted by gtr_rider
This shows how quality of parts went down with nissan
The plastic on the center console of my 2001 AE was melted and discolored by residual OFF from my right leg.
Old 05-22-2004, 05:40 PM

Stuff like that wouldn't be covered in the warranty?

Did you get the Simoniz finish thing done to the interior/exterior? That should cover it if you did.
Old 05-22-2004, 06:48 PM
Moderator GT-R

Originally Posted by Leopor
Stuff like that wouldn't be covered in the warranty?

Did you get the Simoniz finish thing done to the interior/exterior? That should cover it if you did.
Simoniz treatment covers you if you get solvent on plastic trim?
Old 05-23-2004, 02:28 AM

Originally Posted by bluemaxx
Simoniz treatment covers you if you get solvent on plastic trim?
I didn't get the Simoniz treatment, but he may have a point on the warranty part.

It doesn't seem like it was "solvent" that caused this. It looks like it was bug spray. Which is a perfectly normal thing to be wearing at any time and driving a car. You would assume that the trim components of a car should not be affected by a normal everyday household product that you wear.

I might see the dealer about it, but i wouldn't hold much hope for a warranty replacement.

Maybe i should just spray paint them bright neon yellow like the ricers do to their Hondas Civics !

But i might actually try having the trim painted by a body shop and have them clearcoated several times over.

Bob
Old 05-23-2004, 04:10 AM

Damn that really sucks!