6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Sad day in Warwick RI, Beware or your car will look like this

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2004, 03:15 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Sad day in Warwick RI, Beware or your car will look like this

A guy who works with my mom in a good part of town, new guy parks his car overnight for buisness, in a reputable lot with fancy cars come back to this.

they think its the cleaning crew or something, I mean it doesnt look planned, they screwed his car all up, They used rocks lying around, and prob the jack from there car. I dont know if he had locks on or not, I dont think it matters.
I am def going to purchase extra wheeel locks diff kinds. this is friggin ridiculous. these wheels are dissapearing everywhere.
Old 05-27-2004, 03:20 PM

im surprised people arent stealing the damn calipers and stuff too
Old 05-27-2004, 04:01 PM

I just ordered these tonight
http://www.seffects.com/parts/GOR71621N.htm
they have serial keys, supposed to be the best
Old 05-27-2004, 04:09 PM

Damn... That is some f***ed up s#*&!!!
Old 05-27-2004, 05:02 PM
Banned

well....it's his fault...he shouldn't have parked next to TL.
of course, max's wheels attracted the thief more....than the TL's...

j/k
Old 05-27-2004, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by VTmaximaVT
well....it's his fault...he shouldn't have parked next to TL.
of course, max's wheels attracted the thief more....than the TL's...

j/k
also shouldn't parked next to the dumpsters with bushes/trees as shields for the thieves at night.....maybe parked at the opposite end of the parking lot.
Old 05-27-2004, 05:52 PM

well he left it over night i think, not a bad area at all, i guess somebody saw like the cleaning crew and acted fast. i mean if soembody uses rocks, you know its a spontaneus job.
Old 05-27-2004, 06:17 PM

Like me, he picked the parking space at the end of the row, then nuzzled his Maxima up against the stripe away from the nearest space, feeling he had done the best he could to keep it from dings.

At least that part worked; he didn't get dinged . . .

-------------------------------------------------------------------

It would not do for me to be parking in areas where this sort of thing happens. I don't consider this sort of thing 'just one of the bad breaks of life'. I am the kind that will gladly serve big jail time for the pleasure of blowing a scumbag thief into the next world. And I am a very good shot.

To better illustrate my attitude, we spent almost $4,000 on a state-of-the-art home security system, with both radio transmitter backup and cell radio backup, twelve glassbreak detectors, motion sensors, etc, and three sets of backup batteries (we live on a large piece of land, with no other homes within view).

So what do I do? When not busy, I turn off the alarm and sit hidden in the corner of the living room with my automatic shotgun hoping a brazen burglar will make my day.

------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm sure there were luglocks on each wheel. Did they have a master wrench, or did they drill the locked lug off? There must have been no window in any occupied office overlooking the lot.

Accidents, bad luck, misunderstanding, even stupidity and ignorance, I can deal with and never lose my cool. But a sneak thief invokes the deepest disrespect from me.
Old 05-27-2004, 06:22 PM

with those gorilla locks for the wheels, what do they mean "does not fit tuner wheels"? I have 18X8 masitaly presidents and I am somewhat nervous Ill go to my car one day and find the wheels missing! Can I order these locking lugs?
Old 05-27-2004, 08:23 PM

First They Steal 02-03 H.i.d And Now 04 Wheels!!!
Old 05-28-2004, 03:59 AM

THe stole his wheels overnight when it was dark and nobody around...

I think they mean gorilla locks will not fit tuner wheels, meaning custom wheels with small lug holes, you have to get the other lug lock.

gorilla lug locks are supposed to be the best, nobody has your key but you and the key lock is in the middle on the nut so its impossible to break.
Old 05-28-2004, 04:28 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Sorry for the naive question, but I have not dealt with lug locks before.

Do you buy them to fit over all of the lugs on each wheel, or do you put one per wheel, couple???

thanks
Old 05-28-2004, 07:57 AM

You really only need 1 per wheel possible two, I ordered 2 per wheel, I mean these are the best if they cant get one off then they wont get 16 off. Your set with one per wheel on the Gorilla since they all are custom. THe maxima wheel locks are wack because anybody has the key.
Old 05-28-2004, 02:03 PM

My dealer puts a locking lug nut on each wheel of every vehicle (not riding on steel wheels) just after it comes off the auto carrier; even before he puts it on the back lot to wait for pre-prep.

Oh, yes; he adds $199 to the 'dealer installed options' list for these locking lug nuts. Knowledgable buyers pay nothing for these. If a deal was riding on it, I might offer $20 for them, but no more.

I usually buy another set, so as to have two different lug locks on each wheel. But those only stop the casual thieves; they are no major deterrent to the 'pros'.
Old 05-28-2004, 02:59 PM

WOW, thats insane. I live not even 5 minutes away from warwick.... i have always thought of warwick being a safe place... (well, for the most part) i leave my car unattended overnight all the time at my buddies house (when i have had a little too much to drink to drive home) and i never would have given it a second though about something like this! that stinks man...

how far away from cranston do you live? i don't think i ahve seen you driving around...

-Chris
Old 05-28-2004, 04:08 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Blkmax95c
WOW, thats insane. I live not even 5 minutes away from warwick.... i have always thought of warwick being a safe place... (well, for the most part) i leave my car unattended overnight all the time at my buddies house (when i have had a little too much to drink to drive home) and i never would have given it a second though about something like this! that stinks man...

how far away from cranston do you live? i don't think i ahve seen you driving around...

-Chris
Blkmax95c, I would have to say that YOU ARE THE EPITOMY OF MAXIMA FANATICS!!! You've owned FIVE Maximas?!! How old are you? (only if you don't mind me asking) ... And when are you going to join the rest of us "6th Gen'ers" and make it 6 "under the belt"???
Old 05-28-2004, 04:27 PM

lol, thanks. yes, I have owned many maxima's in my time... and yet, I am only 20 yrs old, going on 21 in november. crazy, I know. My family/friends all think i should try a diffrent car, but to be honest, no other car can compare to the maxima in power, luxuary, style, and of course price. but being 20 has it's downfalls... i am paying through the nose in insurance.... to the tune of $667 a month. oh well, it is worth it. i will join the 6th gen'ers in 5 years when my payment is over. lol

-Chris

Originally Posted by hofb99
Blkmax95c, I would have to say that YOU ARE THE EPITOMY OF MAXIMA FANATICS!!! You've owned FIVE Maximas?!! How old are you? (only if you don't mind me asking) ... And when are you going to join the rest of us "6th Gen'ers" and make it 6 "under the belt"???
Old 05-29-2004, 01:46 PM

I actually moved back to Cranston to my parents place, I lived in South County while I went to URI. The place in Warwick, was deserted when they were stolen, its off centrville road, its kinda scary that people stole them in warwick, Im thinking they are high demand for 5th generation owners but who knows... I wouldnt worry about it as long as you have good locks, like gorilla.

maybe ill see ya on the road dude!
Old 05-29-2004, 02:02 PM
Banned

So am I to understand that these "gorilla" wheel locks are absolutely THE BEST out there? How reliable are your sources, Chris_RI??? Don't have me buying into your recommendation and later find out that there's even better locks available... Got some hard facts/testaments to corroborate this acclamation???
Old 05-29-2004, 05:10 PM

well, some of my friends are car fanatics, I drive the crap of the bunch of us who are fanatics, they drive M3's m'5 s60 Type R. These guys have nothing but Gorilla, I am going on there word. They protexct there far more expensive wheels with these suckers. However they have full security systems so that may influence too.

Also, each key is customized, and the key is around the center of the nut, making it impossible to use any crasftsman hand tool.

As for buying into my recommdation, there could be better stuff out there, I cant say for sure that Gorilla are the best, but I will say that for $16 they are better than the factory and until you find something better my car will be safer.
Old 05-29-2004, 05:42 PM
Banned

Cool. Sounds good to me... I'll do a little more research, but I'll definitely keep those locks @ the top of my list for now, unless I find something better. Thanks for the info!!!
Old 05-29-2004, 08:27 PM

No problem dood, let me klnow how you make out. Are these wheels popular among theives in AZ? you may not need to worry.
Old 05-30-2004, 09:56 AM
Banned

Well, I wouldn't say popular...BUT... The "thug network" is alive and fully thriving on the streets of Tucson! Unfortunately, we (Tucson, AZ) always make "top 10" in those national loss/theft insurance polls...lol Thanks again!
Old 05-30-2004, 12:02 PM

FYI, had the Nissan locking nuts on my car at purchase. Went to put on my winter wheels, and the morons had neglected to give me the key. 500 miles from the nearest dealer, my local tire shop EASILY removed the locking nuts with nothing more than an oversize socket hammered (gently) over the outside of the locking nut. The Nissan version of the locking nuts do nothing to protect the wheels from being stolen.

The gorilla nuts themselves (the standard wheel nuts, not the locks) are nice, with an allen key 'female' head, but they corrode very easily. I live where it's too cold to use salt, and there was still a bit of corrosion on the nuts. Their locking nuts are much better quality, and seem to be a bit more secure than the originals.

Was this poor guy just an overnight guest, or was his car parked there a lot longer? Seems to me that there is an awful lot of corrosion on the rotors in these pics...
Old 05-30-2004, 01:55 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Manitoba Max
FYI, had the Nissan locking nuts on my car at purchase. Went to put on my winter wheels, and the morons had neglected to give me the key. 500 miles from the nearest dealer, my local tire shop EASILY removed the locking nuts with nothing more than an oversize socket hammered (gently) over the outside of the locking nut. The Nissan version of the locking nuts do nothing to protect the wheels from being stolen.

The gorilla nuts themselves (the standard wheel nuts, not the locks) are nice, with an allen key 'female' head, but they corrode very easily. I live where it's too cold to use salt, and there was still a bit of corrosion on the nuts. Their locking nuts are much better quality, and seem to be a bit more secure than the originals.

Was this poor guy just an overnight guest, or was his car parked there a lot longer? Seems to me that there is an awful lot of corrosion on the rotors in these pics...
So are you saying that the gorilla lug locks are the way to go? I'm really looking into buying some and I'm sure glad that I waited until now... I was about to buy the Nissan locks, but they were something like almost $30--and I thought that was a bit stiff for lug nuts... How quickly do the gorillas corrode? If my wheels are guaranteed to stay on, then the trade off may be just worth it...
Old 05-30-2004, 02:05 PM

gorrila are the best lug nuts hands down if any one is lookin' for set let me know I can get new sets discounted.
Old 05-30-2004, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by hofb99
So are you saying that the gorilla lug locks are the way to go? I'm really looking into buying some and I'm sure glad that I waited until now... I was about to buy the Nissan locks, but they were something like almost $30--and I thought that was a bit stiff for lug nuts... How quickly do the gorillas corrode? If my wheels are guaranteed to stay on, then the trade off may be just worth it...
The locking nuts are the best out there, and I have had no problem with corrosion on the locking nuts at all (in an enormously harsher climate than yours). The non-locking nuts are a different story--nice in that they are not your standard hex head bolt, but rather a recessed allen key type fastener (female as opposed to male)--but the set I have began to corrode a little bit over the winter. Keep in mind that they were on the car for 6 months, during which time it was far too cold to actually wash the car, so I'm sure even they would fare much better in a more sane climate.

The Nissan set of locking nuts are garbage--so easily defeated it is absurd. The removal I described earlier actually left the locking nuts in such great shape (no scuff marks, scratches, etc) I could have shoved them back in a package and resell them--if I hadn't already turfed them.
Old 05-31-2004, 06:41 AM

Originally Posted by Chris_RI

Automobile Information:
Make: Nissan
Model: Maxima SE FWD
Year: 2004
Transmission: automatic

Comments: No mods. No customs. No special requests.
Items Ordered
Part # Description Quantity Price ea. Total
GOR71621N Acorn Wheel Locks
1 $16.84 $16.84
Shipping: $4.50
Total: $21.34
Tracking Numbers: (will be displayed when available)

You better be right or you'll be seeing an army of Maximas outside of your house in the near future.

Seems like a worthwhile purchase. I'll throw the gorillas on and leave the Nissan ones on also.
Old 05-31-2004, 08:26 AM

Do the SE and SL use the same size nuts or what size does the SL use? Thanks!
Old 05-31-2004, 12:48 PM

Im glad I started this thread, we need to put a stop to the '04 wheels on the black market!!!

I was talking to the detailers at the dealership after I got my rear struts replaced(still noisy) they said that struts are always messed up because thieves come in at night and steal wheels off the cars and leave them sitting on the pavement screwing up suspension. so who knows if that is true or not?
Old 06-02-2004, 12:04 PM

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally Posted by Chris_RI
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

Automobile Information:
Make: Nissan
Model: Maxima SE FWD
Year: 2004
Transmission: automatic

Comments: No mods. No customs. No special requests.
Items Ordered
Part # Description Quantity Price ea. Total
GOR71621N Acorn Wheel Locks
1 $16.84 $16.84
Shipping: $4.50
Total: $21.34
Tracking Numbers: (will be displayed when available)

Originally Posted by AngryPotato
You better be right or you'll be seeing an army of Maximas outside of your house in the near future.

Seems like a worthwhile purchase. I'll throw the gorillas on and leave the Nissan ones on also.
Please let me know about the fitment to the wheels when you get them. I'm thinking order these, thanks!
Old 06-02-2004, 12:50 PM

Sounds Like A Good Price
http://members.cardomain.com/revolutionz_vp
Old 06-02-2004, 01:48 PM

you know last sunday morning i woke up to a brick in my windshield. I just thought it was some kid being stupid or something like that . but now I think being that I have two wheel lock on every tire maybe they just got mad that they would've put in a effort to get them hmmmm.
Old 06-02-2004, 04:01 PM

good possibility, did the brick come from around your house? did it look familiar? if not maybe the theieves bring their own bricks to put the car on when stealin wheels. I hate this, you cant have nice things
Old 06-02-2004, 04:19 PM

wasnt no brick of mine
Old 06-02-2004, 07:04 PM
1 of few unmodded 4G Maxs

Originally Posted by MARC1974
First They Steal 02-03 H.i.d And Now 04 Wheels!!!
right! why can't ppl get thier own shyt?!?
Old 06-03-2004, 08:14 PM

To answer a question winterk asked several days ago:

Yes, inspite of the different wheel/tire sizes, etc, the studs and certainly the lugs should be exactly the same on the SE and SL.
Old 06-03-2004, 08:28 PM

If anybody wants gorilla key locks for cheap, go to discount tire. It's the best $20 my ex-girlfriend spent on my car.
Old 06-06-2004, 06:04 AM
SuPeRmOd

Ordered mine the other day.