6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Dealership NIGHTMARE! (long)

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2004, 04:02 PM
aka The Doom Ship

Dealership NIGHTMARE! (long)

5/7/04 I went to purchase an 04 Nissan Maxima and trade in a 03 Nissan Maxima. I agreed to put $4000 down in the form of 3 checks, 1 for $2000 and 2 for $1000 each. I wrote all 3 checks and gave them to my finance person. The contract was drawn up and I agreed to the terms and signed. While I was waiting for delivery of the new car(I waited 7 days) the dealership cashed my first check for $2000. At this point they had both my trade and my downpayment but I did not have my new car. Finally I take delivery of my new car and was happy. They agree to hold my remaining checks and cash them on a date we agreed to. Weeks pass and I notice the 2 checks have no been deposited so I call the dealership asking to speak with the accounting department. They confirmed that the checks were not deposited and agreed to deposit them on a set date. The checks were never deposited. On 6/7/04 I get a call from the dealership asking me to call them. I call them and Sean(Finance Director) tells me the checks have been misplaced or lost and wants me to put a stop payment on the checks and come in the same night to rewrite the 2 checks. Knowing a stop payment takes 24 hours to take affect I decline to rewrite those checks the same night. The next day 6/8/04 I put a stop payment on the 2 checks. I call Sean to let him know that I have put stop payment on the checks. He then insists that I come in by COB that day(6/8) and rewrite the checks. He then threatens that if I don't come in by COB 6/8 that he would put a 2nd lein on the car and have the car towed. I refused to rewrite the checks until the stop payment has taken affect and insisted that I have in writing what happed to my checks. I also requested a copy of my contract that I never recieved, he stated not until I come in and rewrite the checks. By 6/9/04 he tells me he will make sure my car is impounded, the process has begun to file a law suit against me, and also accused me of damaging my trade after the deal was signed which will be included in the law suit.
Old 06-10-2004, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by AllBlackMax
5/7/04 I went to purchase an 04 Nissan Maxima and trade in a 03 Nissan Maxima. I agreed to put $4000 down in the form of 3 checks, 1 for $2000 and 2 for $1000 each. I wrote all 3 checks and gave them to my finance person. The contract was drawn up and I agreed to the terms and signed. While I was waiting for delivery of the new car(I waited 7 days) the dealership cashed my first check for $2000. At this point they had both my trade and my downpayment but I did not have my new car. Finally I take delivery of my new car and was happy. They agree to hold my remaining checks and cash them on a date we agreed to. Weeks pass and I notice the 2 checks have no been deposited so I call the dealership asking to speak with the accounting department. They confirmed that the checks were not deposited and agreed to deposit them on a set date. The checks were never deposited. On 6/7/04 I get a call from the dealership asking me to call them. I call them and Sean(Finance Director) tells me the checks have been misplaced or lost and wants me to put a stop payment on the checks and come in the same night to rewrite the 2 checks. Knowing a stop payment takes 24 hours to take affect I decline to rewrite those checks the same night. The next day 6/8/04 I put a stop payment on the 2 checks. I call Sean to let him know that I have put stop payment on the checks. He then insists that I come in by COB that day(6/8) and rewrite the checks. He then threatens that if I don't come in by COB 6/8 that he would put a 2nd lein on the car and have the car towed. I refused to rewrite the checks until the stop payment has taken affect and insisted that I have in writing what happed to my checks. I also requested a copy of my contract that I never recieved, he stated not until I come in and rewrite the checks. By 6/9/04 he tells me he will make sure my car is impounded, the process has begun to file a law suit against me, and also accused me of damaging my trade after the deal was signed which will be included in the law suit.

Sounds like some shady dealership practices and VERY poor customer service! What dealership are we talking about out of curiousity? Dunno how they can file a second lien without your signature agreeing to terms of said lien. I would make good on your end of the bargain by rewriting those two checks now that they "lost" and were stopped, less any fees incurred by you for having the bank stop them. I also would not hand the checks to them without a signed copy of your deal/contract from them. From the way they're acting, I wouldn't be surprised if they "lost" this too and have re-written the whole thing to your disadvantage. Again, an illegal and non-binding contract without your signature, but they don't seem like they'd care.

Good luck, and hope you get this resolved to your satisfaction. Enjoy the Max!
Old 06-10-2004, 05:46 PM
aka The Doom Ship

The dealership is North Texas Nissan in Denton, TX. I've also filed a complaint with the BBB. This is the second time I've had a horrible experience with a Nissan dealership. I called Nissan Corp and they were useless. Nissan customer service as a whole is terrible.

They've threatened me serveral times to impound my car, file a law suit against me, tow my car away, etc. I will(eventually) give them a cashier's check for the money.
Old 06-10-2004, 05:55 PM
Banned

Man, that sounds pretty damn shady on their part! Why couldn't they wait one day? AND they didn't give you a copy of the contract? I never heard of anything like that! This sounds messy. Hurry up and take care of it, so you can get them out of your hair...
Old 06-10-2004, 05:58 PM

The dealership is North Texas Nissan in Denton, TX. I've also filed a complaint with the BBB. This is the second time I've had a horrible experience with a Nissan dealership. I called Nissan Corp and they were useless. Nissan customer service as a whole is terrible.

They've threatened me serveral times to impound my car, file a law suit against me, tow my car away, etc. I will(eventually) give them a cashier's check for the money.

I don't know if they are part of the same group that ran North TX Nissan up here in Sherman, but if they are, they are to be stayed away from. The Sherman losers recently went out of business. I've heard numerous horror stories.

On the flip side of the coin, I've had nothing but good experiences with Courtesy in Richardson so far. They might be worth checking out next time around.

Trust me, if they COULD impound/tow/repo your car for cause (losing your check(them being stupid) is NOT cause), it would be gone already. They wouldn't use veiled threats.
Old 06-11-2004, 01:24 AM
2004 Smoke

You might find this interesting....

http://www.dealerrater.com/dealer/de...dealerid=16170
Old 06-13-2004, 08:41 AM
aka The Doom Ship

Originally Posted by 2004 Smoke
You might find this interesting....

http://www.dealerrater.com/dealer/de...dealerid=16170

Thanks for the link! Max Cat you may be right, it's been 6 days and I still have my car. The fact that they have the same name as the former NT Nissan, they're probably the same.

The car on the other hand was perfect! Only 10 miles on it. But it came from Oklahoma. I will NEVER step foot on this dealership again(other than paying the $2000) for ANYTHING, oil change, service, etc. The dealership lied from the beginning I should have turned back when I heard the first lie.
Old 06-13-2004, 08:43 AM
aka The Doom Ship

The link actually mentions the a$$hole that I dealt with, Sean(Finance Director).
Old 06-13-2004, 08:48 AM
aka The Doom Ship

I put my review on the site. I gave them all 1's(lowest score).
Old 06-14-2004, 05:50 PM

don't sweat it, use your pre-paid legal. They have the best lawfirms nationwide money can buy: www.prepaidlegal.com/go/orean
Old 06-14-2004, 06:09 PM

I'm a financial neophyte. AllBlackMax, what would have happened if you went in on June 8th and wrote them two $1000 checks dated for June 9th?
Old 06-15-2004, 07:19 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Next time the dealer called Id tell them to come get there car , and let them take me to court.....
Old 06-15-2004, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by BatKeith
I'm a financial neophyte. AllBlackMax, what would have happened if you went in on June 8th and wrote them two $1000 checks dated for June 9th?
this should work since they shouldn't be able to cash checks before the date they are written for. but then, do banks really pay attention to that, i can sign my check as frosty the snowman and they'd still let it go thru probably.
Old 06-15-2004, 01:44 PM
imported_JIC_A33

hmmm..03 for an 04.....why?

Old 06-17-2004, 06:34 AM
aka The Doom Ship

Sorry guys haven't been on the org in a couple of days...

Yes I could have written the checks dated for a later date. But we're talking about a work day I am not obligated to run to the dealership(which is 30-40 minutes out of my way) and rewrite those checks at their convienience.

Their attitude is I did something wrong and I need to make it right. That's bull$#!+.

Prepaid legal would come in very handy right about now.

On one side I am obligated to rewrite those checks because they were never cashed.

On the other side, they have lied since I walked in the door.

Do you believe those guys tried to sell me an SL with chrome 01 wheels on it!!!!

I took one look at that car and was like HELL NO! These guys take me as a fool(and another fool bought the car too!)!

In spite of the terrible experience, the car was perfect, 10 miles on it, no scratches, everything was brand new. At that point I thought the nightmare was over.
Old 06-17-2004, 06:36 AM
aka The Doom Ship

This will be my last Nissan, the M45 concept or the 2005 Cadillac STS is next on my list so far.
Old 06-17-2004, 07:42 AM

actually the m45 would be another nissan so to speak....
Old 06-17-2004, 03:45 PM

Sorry guys haven't been on the org in a couple of days...

Yes I could have written the checks dated for a later date. But we're talking about a work day I am not obligated to run to the dealership(which is 30-40 minutes out of my way) and rewrite those checks at their convienience.

Their attitude is I did something wrong and I need to make it right. That's bull$#!+.

Prepaid legal would come in very handy right about now.

On one side I am obligated to rewrite those checks because they were never cashed.

On the other side, they have lied since I walked in the door.

Do you believe those guys tried to sell me an SL with chrome 01 wheels on it!!!!

I took one look at that car and was like HELL NO! These guys take me as a fool(and another fool bought the car too!)!

In spite of the terrible experience, the car was perfect, 10 miles on it, no scratches, everything was brand new. At that point I thought the nightmare was over.
Pre-paid legal uses the 14th largest firm in the state of Texas! Talk about some serious legal power!!
www.prepaidlegal.com/go/orean
Old 06-17-2004, 08:37 PM

Damn thats crazy. . . .