6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Racing Tach / Tachometer Install Problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2004, 02:25 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Racing Tach / Tachometer Install Problems

Hi i just bought a brand new Autometer tach and i'm tryin to install it in my 2004 maxima...the problem that i'm having is that,

when i hoop up the tach signal wire to a coil, the coil doesnt have enough power to move the tach.

i bought an autometer tach adaptor to amplify the signal and that still didnt work.

my local speed shop says that my engine is new and its not like older cars where you can hook the tack up to one coil, they say my tach signal is distributed over all 6 coils and they need to find the wire to hook the tach up to before it distributed over all the coils?

ANYONE HAVE ANY IDEAS OF WHERE TO WIRE A TACH IN A 2004 MAXIMA, that basically what i'm asking????
Old 06-14-2004, 02:39 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Doesn't your instrument cluster already have a tach?
Old 06-14-2004, 02:42 PM
Moderator GT-R

Originally Posted by CanadianMoFo
Doesn't your instrument cluster already have a tach?
He's installing a racing tach. Pay attention!
Old 06-14-2004, 02:56 PM

Ahhh I see. What exactly will the RACING tach do that the original one won't?
Old 06-14-2004, 04:12 PM
Moderator GT-R

Ahhh I see. What exactly will the RACING tach do that the original one won't?
C'mon dude. IT'S FOR RACING! He didn't mention which Autometer tach he has but some of them indicate over 12,000 RPM! Try that with your OEM tach.
Old 06-14-2004, 09:57 PM

You guys are just dumb. If u werent dumb you'd know it adds one WHP for every Tick mark it has over your stock one. Thats right at say...4,000 Extra horses to the crank.
Old 06-15-2004, 05:12 AM

Since you're having trouble with that tach, I'd suggest putting on some stickers. Maybe a big NOS one, or VTEC, Powered By Honda, etc.... The install is fairly simple, and the gains are just incredible. Yellow stickers seem to give the most HP. And anything written in Japanese characters is worth double what it would be in english.

On a serious note...you're just riceing up your car with a dinner plate sized tach that has the same function as the one on the dashboard. You're driving a nice luxury 4 door sports sedan. If you wanted a little highschool boy racer type car you should have gotten an SRT-4 or a WRX STi. Stop the insanity. Return the crud you bought at the rice shop and just enjoy the Maxima.
Old 06-15-2004, 05:20 AM
andymax95

Since you're having trouble with that tach, I'd suggest putting on some stickers. Maybe a big NOS one, or VTEC, Powered By Honda, etc.... The install is fairly simple, and the gains are just incredible. Yellow stickers seem to give the most HP. And anything written in Japanese characters is worth double what it would be in english.

On a serious note...you're just riceing up your car with a dinner plate sized tach that has the same function as the one on the dashboard. You're driving a nice luxury 4 door sports sedan. If you wanted a little highschool boy racer type car you should have gotten an SRT-4 or a WRX STi. Stop the insanity. Return the crud you bought at the rice shop and just enjoy the Maxima.

haaattttteeerrrr

Old 06-15-2004, 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by andymax95
haaattttteeerrrr

Guilty as charged. Guilty of good taste in automobiles and automotive accessories.
Old 06-15-2004, 08:20 AM

OK enuff with the jokes.....

does n e one know how to hook up the tach????
Old 06-15-2004, 08:27 AM

Are you seriously putting a tach in the Max? This is a joke, right?

Either way, please post pics. This is something that I need to see.
Old 06-15-2004, 08:28 AM

gu3ss n0t h0m3y u r on ur 0wn w1t d1s 1 y0 if u g1t it dun l3t uzz kno h0w 2 b 3l33t r0ll1n wit dat phat tac yo
Old 06-15-2004, 09:46 AM
Boosted Panda

The racing tach will be more accurate then the OEM unit.
A small one wouldnt be too bad I guess. Does your unit have a shift light?
You may want to try and hook the tach up to the back of the Instrument cluster.
When I installed my shift light that is what I had to do.
Or wire it into the ecu. Check a Haynes or Chiltons to see a wiring diagram of the ecu for the tach sensor wire.
Old 06-15-2004, 11:14 AM

I'd love to see some pics. I know that the aftermarket tacs are more accurate then the OEM tac...but damn, is it really worth it? Just curious as to your future anticipated mods. Are you planning on buying a super-charger or turbo perhaps...at that point I could maybe see more use from the tac but I still wouldn't install one.

To each his own.
Old 06-15-2004, 11:40 AM
I'm needing a caw

Originally Posted by FLAVOR247
The tach will only be as accurate as the signal feeding it. If you steal the same signal, it will be just about as accurate. Redundant.

Or wire it into the ecu. Check a Haynes or Chiltons to see a wiring diagram of the ecu for the tach sensor wire.
I'm gonna guess that if you wanted a ROCK solid signal, it would have to come from the crank angle sensor. Or a sensor on the flywheel/crank. That's the only way to absolutely make sure you know exactly where the crank position is at all times. But it's not really worth it to go to all that trouble.

Now, a racing FUEL guage. That's where it's at.
Old 06-15-2004, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by FLAVOR247

Yeh its not too big it look hot as hell in my cockpit!! i have a shift light on it also

thanks for the tip on chiltons or haynes thats a great idea didnt think about that.
Old 06-15-2004, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by 4drsleeper
I'd love to see some pics. I know that the aftermarket tacs are more accurate then the OEM tac...but damn, is it really worth it? Just curious as to your future anticipated mods. Are you planning on buying a super-charger or turbo perhaps...at that point I could maybe see more use from the tac but I still wouldn't install one.

To each his own.
i have the injen intake (loving it) eibach springs, saving up for the greddy sp2 next mod , and as soon as stillen drops the super charger im all there
Old 06-15-2004, 12:51 PM

how do you post pics in the reply window???
Old 06-15-2004, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by 1Hot6Gen
i have the injen intake (loving it) eibach springs, saving up for the greddy sp2 next mod , and as soon as stillen drops the super charger im all there
Can you post a link for the super charger?
Old 06-15-2004, 06:42 PM

Tach signal is NOT red or black at any ignition coil under the hood. That is the signal I used for my remote start and it works fine. I am not sure how accurate it will be for monitoring engine speed.

Good Luck...I'd try one of those wires first. If it turns out that it doesn't work out just let me know and I'll have one of the nissan techs look it up for me.
Old 06-16-2004, 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by rabenoja
Tach signal is NOT red or black at any ignition coil under the hood. That is the signal I used for my remote start and it works fine. I am not sure how accurate it will be for monitoring engine speed.

Good Luck...I'd try one of those wires first. If it turns out that it doesn't work out just let me know and I'll have one of the nissan techs look it up for me.
So Rabenoja what wire are you talking about because i didnt understand your reply??