6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Thinking about trading in the max

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2004, 04:39 AM
andymax95

Thinking about trading in the max

Like the subject says. I recently got another raise at work and now I'm thinking of trading in the max and getting a 5series bmw or a e class mercedes. What you guys think?

Old 06-18-2004, 04:54 AM

How big of a hit would you take on trading it in?
Old 06-18-2004, 05:05 AM

Originally Posted by andymax95
What you guys think?
I think I've forgotten what it's like to be young, without little mouths to feed and a big wallet.

Whatever feels right - go for it!
Old 06-18-2004, 06:06 AM

As the owner of 3 540i's through the years, I can only say you couldn't do much better than a 5.

I'm glad I got my '03, though, since I can't get into Bangle's styling theme. Personal preference. But I have driven a few of them, and they are awesome drivers. The ride is just magic ... bumps and ripples just disappear and the things corner so flat it'll dislodge your fillings. *Much* better ride and handling than my '03 (which ain't no slouch).

I personally don't think there's anything else in the 5's class. Certainly not the Mercedes E's. You can get lesser cars for less money that may even outrun the 5, but they don't have the lux and the feel and the solidity.

They don't come cheap, but neither do the other great things in life!

Mike
Old 06-18-2004, 06:39 AM

Remember with either the BMW 5 or the MB E.....you will have a blast in the snow....rear wheel drive.....unless you get the the E with AWD.
Old 06-18-2004, 07:01 AM

I had 5 series alongtime ago - 525i. It was a pig - not very nimble and pretty weak. Then I got the chance to drive a 540 - WOW. Night and day difference. Great, great car. I would say go with the 5 only if you get the higher end model.

Now an M5 - that is the best sports sedan in the world IMO.

I would only get a Cedes if it was an AMG model.
Old 06-18-2004, 08:45 AM
andymax95

I don't know if I could dish out enough for a 540 now and still pimp it, I'd love to but I might settle with the mid line one. But who knows, I've had 4 maximas, I may never leave the max community! One thing about the max for a low 30 thousand dollar car it has the eminities of cars 10-20 grand more. You definetly got hooked up a max.

Old 06-18-2004, 10:53 AM

Go for it. I know if I had the money I'd go buy a G35 coupe today.
Old 06-18-2004, 12:09 PM
aka The Doom Ship

I would wait for the new STS or M45 concept. The BMW/Mercedes equivalent to the Max in terms of power are too expensive and not worth it.
Old 06-21-2004, 06:53 AM

We could trade cars
Old 06-21-2004, 07:53 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I recently got a chance to test drive all of the new BMW's and was atransport driver for the new 6 and i have to say that i was totally unimpressed. The cars are no very agile and do not have a very comfortable ride at all. Keep you max but if you must get a "luxury" car get the E class its much more solid than any of the other vehicles.
Old 06-21-2004, 10:08 AM

I am in the same situation, I have a 04 Max, had it since March 03. I like the 5 Series but I think I am going to wait for the M45 concept, I am loving that car.
Old 06-21-2004, 10:26 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I've also heard VERY bad reviews about the single-**** control thing that operates most of the climate/radio functions, that its waaaay too distracting and hard to use while driving, this was from Consumer Reports, almost ot the point that they would have given it a much higher rating except for that one feature. Doesn't make sense to me to make you operate through two or three menus just to change radio stations, or turn the A/C off. Not very safe.
Old 06-21-2004, 04:54 PM

Between the Beemer and Benz, I''ll take the beemer, specifically the 530i. Its definitely not as powerful as the max, but it handles well and is pretty fluid around the bends. Some dont like the styling, but I think the 5 is a better looker than the 7 or 6 series. The other problem is iDrive, BMW's menu system. It incorporates most of the cars functions, and some are hidden pretty deep. Overall though, I think the 530i is a pretty good bet. I am not sure how the specs are here, but my family has a 530i with the sport option, which includes 18inch rims, lowered suspension, active steering and sport seats in Asia.
Mercedes doesn't offer the driving involvement that BMW does, and this includes the AMG models. The C32 and CLK55, are terrifyingly fast, but somehow theyre missing something. Its like sitting in a really fast rollercoaster, just my opinion. You might also want to wait for the forthcoming Audi A6, though the grille puts many people off. Just my $0.02. Hope it helps.
Old 06-21-2004, 06:42 PM

Keep the Maxima. Pay down your mortgage if you have one. Maximize your RRSP contributions, if you have one. Move out of your parents house, just kidding. Take a vacation!

Have you prioritized your financial objectives and decided there is absolutely nothing better to do with your cash flow at this time?

I'm just being practical. You have a perfectly good car now. If you were 50 or 55 I'd say go for it. If you're under 35 and not independently wealthy I'd say reconsider your priorities, as you won't get stellar returns out of the stock market over the next 2 plus years in a rising interest rate environment!
Old 06-21-2004, 07:32 PM

Wow! Two eye-turning choices!

Neither are in the same class as the Maxima in the 'reliability' area, but both are recognized as 'I have officially arrived' vehicles.

I would tend to lean slightly toward the BMW, except I have heard bad things about the complicated controls. But then most Benz models of the last decade have been bothered with electrical problems. Technical problems and reliability are the reasons CU does not recommend either of these two, although they are the top two rated vehicles test-wise.

Rather than listing all the plusses and minuses here, I would strongly recommend you go to the library and check out the June, 2004 issue of Consumer Reports, which does a comprehensive test of these two vehicles, along with the Jaguar S Type and the Volvo S80.

As for me, I think I'll keep my Maxima, and leave my extra money with Vanguard.
Old 06-21-2004, 08:43 PM

honestly, if i was getting a car, i'd seriously consider the g35 or the TL, especially the latter... it's pretty damn sweet...
Old 06-21-2004, 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by andymax95
Like the subject says. I recently got another raise at work and now I'm thinking of trading in the max and getting a 5series bmw or a e class mercedes. What you guys think?

well i have an 04 max and i just bought my wife a benz..mind you its just a c230 sport sedan....personally i like my maxima alot more..i think for the money you will regret it....e class is like 15-20k more,....but if you do it get the E55
Old 06-22-2004, 05:15 AM
andymax95

I have no priorities as of now, just out of school, so I still live at home. Only payment for me is the car payment. In a few years I won't be able to have nice rides, cause I'll be more concerned with getting a pimp house, but till then, I'd like to experience the better driving experience. My problem is I have a hard time parting with max's.

When I turned 17 my parents bought me my first max, a 1996 max se, fully loaded. Within 1.5 years, I had it relatively hooked up, was waiting for my last mod to come in the mail and I was done. I couldn't wait. Then it gets stolen and totalled. ****ed me off and has always left a void in me. So long story short, 2 more 4th gens purchased for, all same exterior/interior color. Crazy hell ya, maybe a little obsessive. Then when I got a job and was looking around at prespective cars, (tl, 330, saab,93,s4) but I came back to the max. Honestly, if you're a smart consumer, you'd know that the max has features and amenities of cars costing 15-25k more. Performance, reliability, and comfort doesn't come in a better package then the max. Downfall of max's, they have a lower residual trade in value, compared to the acura's, audi's, saabs, infinitis. Which sucks, they are as good or even better then there counterpartners, but are worth less? I looked into it and I put enough money down to break even on a trade, but that means, no downpayment for my new car and the 4k I put into my car is a waste. That means in retrospect that I leased a vehicle for almost 3/4 of a year for approximately $13000. (And I'm only driving a max) I'm taking a big hit and it really isn't worth to get rid of the max.

Old 06-22-2004, 05:21 AM
andymax95

So as of now, still modding......

Was at soutwestautoworks.com and noticed that they had an add for the cattman ss y-pipe. No pictures, call for pricing. So I called to order and they said it's not out yet, maybe within a month or so. They I proceed to call cattman and the answering service had no idea when they well release it. I want one asap, that has always been the best performance mod based on hp:tq/per dollar. I'm going to do more research, on it with warpspeed, budget exhaust and stillen.

I'll keep people posted.

Old 06-22-2004, 06:37 AM
Banned

The new M45 will bow in the Japan market in a few short weeks (early August). If it lives up to its promise and gets great reviews I would then wait until it is released in the US (December maybe?).

A 4.5L V8, 340HP, RWD, 4 door, Japan built Infiniti with the newest technology (Lane Departure Warning, Surround Sound System, Keyless Entry, ect. . .)would be a logical step up for a MAX owner.
Old 06-22-2004, 08:04 AM

Buy the Budget Y-pipe for C$250, plus C$15 shipping. I had mine installed a couple of weeks ago and quite like it. Now that I know your circumstances I stick with my original recommendation. You are still young and should keep the Maxima for years, then when it gets a little long in the tooth use it as a daily driver. I don't mean to sound like a Dutch Uncle, but you would be better off squirreling your money away because you'll need it for more important things in life than being "Car Poor".
Old 06-22-2004, 09:19 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by jaydabee
The new M45 will bow in the Japan market in a few short weeks (early August). If it lives up to its promise and gets great reviews I would then wait until it is released in the US (December maybe?).

A 4.5L V8, 340HP, RWD, 4 door, Japan built Infiniti with the newest technology (Lane Departure Warning, Surround Sound System, Keyless Entry, ect. . .)would be a logical step up for a MAX owner.
Speaking of the M45, I saw one yesterday just north of Newport Beach... at first I thought it was a G35, but something was off... first time I'd seen an M45 in person.
Old 06-23-2004, 09:35 AM

This is what I would consider a good problem. The only suggestion I would have is before you make your decision, I'd look into the how much of an increase your insurance, license & taxes will be on the BMW or MB. If your new job is really really good then, you may not even need to worry about that aspect. All that aside, I personally would prefer the BMW, mainly because everyone and their dog seems to have a mercedes. Well....maybe not quite everyone, but you know what I mean.