6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Factory Warranty !!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2004, 02:29 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Factory Warranty !!!

I'm thinking about adding an aftermarket alarm system with remote start in my car.. the guy told me that I might want to think about this because of my factory warranty.. will this be voided if I put an aftermarket system (radio, alarm,etc.)
Old 06-25-2004, 04:52 AM

I have been wondering the same thing. I would definately talk to your dealer, I haven't gotten around to asking mine yet.
Old 06-25-2004, 05:43 AM
SuPeRmOd

so what is our oem alarm good for anyway? Does it just disable if ignition is tampered? Will it sound on impact, electric activated (doors, windows open)? or other features? Could you ask about this along with the warranty q's?

Let's create an 04 warranty STICKY: at least what will void it, the advatages of extending it, general costs of which plans and what they cover. I am so confused about what my 7yr/70,000 Gold secruity plus (or whatever) actually covers, does for me, etc. Sure I'm not the only one including the many that care not to void it.

I'll try to call my dealer (and/or Nissan Warranty) later to get what info I can.
Old 06-26-2004, 07:14 AM
SuPeRmOd

Talked to dealer, said an aftermarket alarm/most other items, would not void the warranty unless:
something related/connected effected by that part is damaged, then that portion(electrical) of the warranty would be voided.

Pretty much saying that if you do a sh*tty job installing, resulting in a failure, you messed it up so the warranty won't cover it.
But having an af alarm will not void any warranty.

Oh yeah, the stock alarm will of course deactivate the ignition if theft is attempted, and will sound if electrical is activated (doors opened). But useless for smash and grab,( or impacts). It is activated when doors are locked with or w/o key fob.
Old 06-26-2004, 08:12 AM
SuPeRmOd

As for the extended warranty coverage, the roadside assistance and rental begin right away. But the other features begin when they end on the existing warranty (which is already covering those parts.) We have the bumper to bumper for 3/36,0000. Anything covered under extended is added to the 5/60,000 when the bumper one expires. The entire extended applies after the 5/60,000.

So basically, everything in the extended warranty is covered from start until it expires, mine is 7 years/70,000 miles.
Old 06-26-2004, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by Maxima80
so what is our oem alarm good for anyway? Does it just disable if ignition is tampered? Will it sound on impact, electric activated (doors, windows open)? or other features? Could you ask about this along with the warranty q's?
From what I understand the "Alarm/Security" on the Max will not allow the car to be started without the actual key in the ignition. Also, an alarm does sound if the car has been locked with the keychain and the door is opened. But there is no alarm that will sound from an impact or loud noise.
Old 06-26-2004, 10:27 PM
*moderator*

Originally Posted by clayman88
From what I understand the "Alarm/Security" on the Max will not allow the car to be started without the actual key in the ignition. Also, an alarm does sound if the car has been locked with the keychain and the door is opened. But there is no alarm that will sound from an impact or loud noise.
There is a chip in the key itself that has to be present for the car to start. When I had my alarm installed they had to run a bypass for this so the remote starter would work....
Old 06-27-2004, 03:40 AM
SuPeRmOd

oh ya, the point of making the warranty coverage so wordy, is that once the coverage of a part from the original warranty expires, the $50 deductible kicks in with the extended.
Prob. common sense, but was a bit overwhelming to me at first.

Guess I'll be looking for an aftermarket alarm myself to sound with motion/impact. Any suggestions? Curious about the cheapest good quality to the absolute best. Not interested in remote start though.
Old 06-27-2004, 09:53 AM
*moderator*

Originally Posted by Maxima80
oh ya, the point of making the warranty coverage so wordy, is that once the coverage of a part from the original warranty expires, the $50 deductible kicks in with the extended.
Prob. common sense, but was a bit overwhelming to me at first.

Guess I'll be looking for an aftermarket alarm myself to sound with motion/impact. Any suggestions? Curious about the cheapest good quality to the absolute best. Not interested in remote start though.
Besides the remote start feature this the Clifford RS 3.5 has 2-Way Security The interactive display on the Responder remote confirms all commands - with easy to understand icons, plus text! It alerts users to security system triggers by beeping or vibrating when out of audible range of the siren.
http://www.clifford.com/matrix/responder/default.asp

I'm very happy with my purchase....