6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

List of 2004 Maxima Quality Issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2004, 05:29 PM
2004 Smoke

List of 2004 Maxima Quality Issues

I've been compiling a 'master list' of quality issues mentioned on this Forum. My intent is to start cataloguing them in detail, along with their history and fixes, and have them posted as a sticky and eventually on my web site. I also hope to set up a major poll, once I believe I have them documented correctly.

Let me know which ones I have missed, along with any known fixes.

Officially - In no particular order (just so there are no arguments) but truthfully I did try and priortize them a bit...

So here we go....first 30....

1. Dealer pressure to rate them excellent
2. Brake shimmy or judder when braking from highway speed
3. Wheel shimmy between 45 and 65 mph when driving
4. Glove box misalignment
5. Left turn signal won’t return to center position
6. Orange paint peeling
7. Grill peeling
8. Shift plate scratches too easily
9. Display screen scratches too easily
10. Display screen foggy or has condensation inside
11. Rear parcel shelf vibrating and/or noise
12. Broken strut(s)
13. Torque steer on acceleration
14. Harsh automatic shifting (especially when cold)
15. Weak radio reception
16. Windows slow to roll down
17. Side mirrors won’t reposition
18. Seat shifting
19. Rear speaker “beeping”
20. Screeching sound - loose heat shield at 2000 rpm
21. Transmission failure
22. Air bag warning label on visor bubbling up
23. Sunroof deflector hitting glass
24. Door trim pieces easily get rub marks
25. HID lights – high beam won’t return to low beam
26. Car won’t start (loose fuel pump connector at fuse panel)
27. Right floorboard soaked floor
28. Liquid running sound in A/C system, especially after cold start
29. Stiff doors after sitting for awhile
30. Skyview roof exploding
Old 06-30-2004, 06:16 PM

The rule of thumb is that it takes 2 years for Nissan or Infiniti to get it right. 3rd model year is the safe bet.
Old 06-30-2004, 06:44 PM

I think you have the terms wrong on the "orange paint peeling" ... there were references to "orange peel" in the paint. That's not really a quality issue, as virtually all mass-produced cars exhibit some orange peel.

Also, I don't think you can call torque steer a quality issue. It's just a byproduct of horsepower (torque, actually) and front-wheel drive. Other FWD cars in this segment have it, too ... see Acura TL.

Lastly, I don't consider dealer pressure for excellent ratings on surveys a quality issue.

Otherwise, your list looks pretty complete.

Mike
Old 06-30-2004, 09:28 PM

When you list the fixes, the turn signal not turning off can be fixed by a fairly simple adjustment by the dealer.

I seem to remember some astute poster informing us the bubbling in the A/C system meant there was air in the system, and the dealer can remove this. If it recurs, then there is a leak of some kind. Someone else will remember this more clearly than I.

The steering wheel shimmy cause has varied; everything from one or more wheels out of balance or out of round, one or more tires out of round, a tire with a broken belt, incorrect pressure in one or more tires, incorrect alignment, a brake caliper that was not retracting from the rotor, etc, all the way to incorrect tension on the steering rack. This problem was reported here the first month the '04s came out, and has never gone away. Some cars were never completely fixed.

I almost feel guilty posting on this thread, considering how well-built my '04 SL has been.
Old 06-30-2004, 10:43 PM
Banned

i have
#4 glove box misalignment
#13 torque steer on acceleration

well, for glove box alignment, it's not that bad for mine..so i'm fine with it
torque steer on acceleration, it's kinda hard to avoid torque steer for a
fwd car with 265 hp. and now I'm used to it. when my friends want to
drive my car and floor it, I never forget to mention them about torque steering.

I have misaligned passenger side rear door, gotta take it to the dealer
when i have time..
Old 06-30-2004, 11:31 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

List looks pretty complete. There is one item that I think was missed. Grinding from 1st to 2nd or 2nd to 3rd on manual transmissions.
Old 07-01-2004, 12:02 AM

The car sounds like a piece of sh$t to me. I have a 95 which was the first year of the 4th generation. In almost 10 years of driving, I have had an O2 sensor replaced on warranty, a flat tire and a battery replaced. That is it! But my car was built in Japan. I think I will wait several years to buy another as I don't believe there has been a better Maxima built since the 1995 as they got it right in the first instance, lol!
Old 07-01-2004, 12:54 AM
vqman

Originally Posted by 2004 Smoke
14. Harsh automatic shifting (especially when cold)

is this with the 4 speed auto, 5 speed or both?

-vq

Old 07-01-2004, 02:31 AM

Originally Posted by VQMAN
is this with the 4 speed auto, 5 speed or both?

-vq

According to this:

http://www.infinitihelp.com/Ownershi.../NTB04-045.htm

It's for the 5 speed auto only.

Bob
Old 07-01-2004, 02:42 AM
2004 Smoke

Thanks for the initial feedback. Everyone knows that almost all vehicle manufacturers, Honda and Toyota included, have quality problems with their first series vehicles on a major redesign. Still, you think the Japanese would have figured out process and 'Kaizen' to avoid first series problems in the first place, especially after 6 generations of redesign. I bought my Max after 16 months of production, thinking I was safe, but I suspect I will soon start to see strut, brake and suspension problems. I agree with others that Nissan was somewhat negligent in allowing 120,000 vehicles to be built before they addressed the glovebox problem, just as one example. The business case for fixing it earlier must be obvious. Makes you really wonder what Nissan is doing.
At least now they have sent out 100s of engineers into the Nissan kingdom to start addressing the growing problem. They better, or their climb back out of the ashes will be a quick one back down.

My sense is that Nissan has started to address the first year problems, as I didn't have any orange peel and I didn't have the proverbial glovebox problem.

I do want to do a poll soon, though, so we can send the results to Nissan and keep the public pressure up until they fix the design problems and poor parts appropriately (e.g. struts).

- I don't remember which transmission, but will find and document later. You can search through the threads yourself if you wish...

- Forgot the gear grinding - will add that one. Thanks Edify.

- Will take out the torque steer - some argue it goes with a car with this much FWD power. Others argue it can be designed out. I know VDC really helps with this (I have it on mine and I barely feel the TS)

- Will take out the dealer pressure - guess I was listing the general problems were having with their 04 Max buying experience, rather than just vehicle defects. Maybe I will put them into categories.

- Will fix the orange peel....should have known better on that one....

Any others I missed?
Old 07-01-2004, 02:53 AM

Originally Posted by 2004 Smoke
- I don't remember which transmission, but will find and document later. You can search through the threads yourself if you wish...
5 speed auto
Old 07-01-2004, 10:55 AM

Believe it or not the clear plastic rings the cover the gauges behine the steering wheels have a tint, that is all peeling, looks scratched. THe dealer ordered the wrong thing and is reording. I dont know that this is a common problem, but it goes along with the info screen, the shifterplate, the trim ... all being cheap. 33,000 and this qulaity is very cheap, the new altimas have better quality in the interior.
Old 07-01-2004, 12:41 PM

Great thread, (I actually think I'll rate this one, doesn't seem that gets used much).

I have an SL in the high 900### VIN number, so I hope that I don't have any of the problems with the screens that others have experienced.

I do have the glovebox problem, on the right side of the door it hangs out more than it should. I know there is a fix for this, but I can't seem to find it and it wasn't listed on theowens.com TSB list, can someone link to that info please?

I suggest compiling a database based (i.e. Excel spreadsheet) on VIN number (given as a range so as not to invade privacy) that lists trim level, mileage, and a simple cross reference of which of these problems existed on that car.

It could almost be done in a thread, and someone could keep track of it. Just a schwag at it could look like this:

OWNER PROBLEM SURVEY
Last 7 digits of the VIN (final 2 can be ##):___________
What is the mileage of your car?__________

Problem list
Please list what problems (from the list) that you've had by number, and if possible, at what mileage did you notice them. (keep in mind that #1 is now "Gear Grinding on Manual Trans" and #13 is "Harsh Automatic Shifting when cold").

---------------------
My Response
Last 7 digits of the VIN (final 2 can be ##): C9103##
What is the current mileage of your car? 850miles

#4 (always been that way)
#8 (recently scratched with the key while putting something on the floor)
#11 (always been that way)
Old 07-01-2004, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by Smoke_Screen
I do have the glovebox problem, on the right side of the door it hangs out more than it should. I know there is a fix for this, but I can't seem to find it and it wasn't listed on theowens.com TSB list, can someone link to that info please?
Here's the link: http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=304514
Old 07-01-2004, 02:24 PM

Here's a pet peeve of mine about the headlights: it's too easy to inadvertently turn them off. After owning this car for nine months, I still occasionally hit the headlight lever to dim/bright the lights and manage to shut them off altogether. Makes for a nice surprise when tooling around country roads.

Oh, and don't forget about the interminably slow seat heaters.
Old 07-01-2004, 03:36 PM
2004 Smoke

Funny you should mention the seats - I hadn't seen a complaint about that one before, but was wondering about mine. I will add it to the list.
Old 07-01-2004, 03:43 PM
2004 Smoke

Updated List = Now up to 32 Quality Issues

1. Brake shimmy or judder when braking from highway speed
2. Wheel shimmy between 45 and 65 mph when driving
3. Glove box misalignment
4. Left turn signal won’t return to center position
5. Orange peel paint
6. Grill peeling
7. Shift plate scratches too easily
8. Display screen scratches too easily, is foggy or has condensation inside
9. Rear parcel shelf vibrating and/or noise
10. Broken strut(s)
11. Harsh automatic shifting (especially when cold) with 5 speed auto
12. Gear grind from 1st to 2nd
13. Slow seat heaters
14. Instrument cluster plastic protectors peel
15. Weak radio reception
16. Windows slow to roll down
17. Side mirrors won’t reposition
18. Seat shifting
19. Rear speaker “beeping”
20. Screeching sound - loose heat shield at 2000 rpm
21. Transmission failure
22. Air bag warning label on visor bubbling up
23. Sunroof deflector hitting glass
24. Door trim pieces easily get rub marks
25. HID lights – high beam won’t return to low beam
26. HID lights – burn out prematurely
27. Fog lights – burn out prematurely
28. Car won’t start (loose fuel pump connector at fuse panel)
29. Right floorboard soaked floor
30. Liquid running sound in A/C system, especially after cold start
31. Stiff doors after sitting for awhile
32. Skyview roof exploding
Old 07-01-2004, 05:21 PM

Well if ya be changing the numbers how can anyone fill out the survey? :P

OWNER PROBLEM SURVEY (Updated)
Last 7 digits of the VIN (final 2 can be ##):___________
What is the mileage of your car?__________

Problem list
Please list what problems (from the list) that you've had by number, and if possible, at what mileage did you notice them.

---------------------
My Response
Last 7 digits of the VIN (final 2 can be ##): C9103##
What is the current mileage of your car? 850miles

#3 (Glovebox)
#7 (recently scratched trim near cd slot while putting something on the floor with keys in hand)
#9 (Rear parcel vibrates with a certain freq of Bass{TSB})
Old 07-01-2004, 06:00 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

We have condensation in center console window that resemebled something 'growing'. Started immediately after purchasing car in Sept. 03. Finally took to dealership, where we were total there was a bulletin issued on it and a service kit was ordered/replaced at no cost to us. Also noticed at dealership bulletins about the skyroof exploding on road/while stationary. Anyone heard of Nissan issuing a recall on this yet, since several people and/or vehicles behind them were injured? As for now, we are driving with the cover closed at all times.
Old 07-01-2004, 06:44 PM
2004 Smoke

Smoke Screen - I think the survey process you suggest is a bit too onerous. I am not sure who would collate all the info.....

I will set up a poll shortly, based on these issues once I have a bit more input. That will be easier and more automatiic to run.

Old 07-01-2004, 06:46 PM
2004 Smoke

Nol1jjj - no recall yet on the skyview. Currently the NHTSA is investigating.
Old 07-02-2004, 07:19 AM

This thread is scary...lol

I'm coming off of my lease this Nov for my 2K Maxima, and am looking to lease a 2K4/2K5 Maxima. However with all of these quality issues, it gives me pause to look at the G35 or 300C again.
Old 07-02-2004, 08:26 AM

I agree that this list is scary (especially the skyview). However, you have to remember that no one has experienced ALL of these problems.

I have a fairly early model (819XXX) with 14K miles and have only experienced a slight shimy which was fixed a few weeks ago but may be coming back. I also had some grinding between 1st and 2nd gear, but that seems to have gone away.
Old 07-02-2004, 09:50 PM

hi, My engine makes a squealing noise when just parked im guessint its the loose heat shield. How would i fix that or does the dealership do it if i ask them?
Old 07-03-2004, 02:05 AM
2004 Smoke

You should get your stealership to check this out. If it is a heat shield, there are bolts that need tightening. Iit might just be a squeaky belt. Best to get it checked out.
Old 07-03-2004, 07:23 PM

Only problem with ours so far has been a leaking skyview which was replaced under warranty. Otherwise, our 04 SL has been tip top.
Old 07-05-2004, 07:32 AM

I have an 03 Max with sunroof. The first timeI took it to the carwash, the roof leaked. Subsequent trips to the carwash and (at home) handwash did not have any leaks. Wonder why that was; did the problem cure itself :-)
Old 07-05-2004, 07:33 AM

I have an 03 Max with sunroof. The first timeI took it to the carwash, the roof leaked. Subsequent trips to the carwash and (at home) handwash did not have any leaks. Wonder why that was; did the problem cure itself :-)

There is a definite problem with the skyroof. I remember seeing a TSB posted on another forum for this, with pictures and all.
Old 07-05-2004, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by kenny

There is a definite problem with the skyroof. I remember seeing a TSB posted on another forum for this, with pictures and all.
Ours only leaked twice and the of course the dealership couldn't duplicate it the first time. The second time it happened, my wife was just down the street from the dealership and was able to show them. It was shortly replaced with no more leaks.
Old 07-05-2004, 06:32 PM
1 of few unmodded 4G Maxs

someone should send a link to this post to Nissan ... I'm shocked and disappointed as to how many complaints the 6th gen owners are having w/ thier Max's, hang in there guys, there's the lemon law, and disappointed as to how Nissan's quality has suddenly tanked, esp. on thier flagship vehicle

only recall I ever had on my '98 Max was for the alternator, other than that its proved me well.

sounds like there's enough "lemon"-ade in the 6th gen forum to give to us thirsty 4th gen owners, lol
Old 07-05-2004, 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by bunk22
Only problem with ours so far has been a leaking skyview which was replaced under warranty. Otherwise, our 04 SL has been tip top.
mine leaked also, couldn't get the part for over a month, but nothing much else...
Old 07-05-2004, 07:03 PM

I bought my on 6/04, The car Manufacture on 5/04....I hope all the problems has been fixed.
Old 07-05-2004, 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by MaxMus
This thread is scary...lol

I'm coming off of my lease this Nov for my 2K Maxima, and am looking to lease a 2K4/2K5 Maxima. However with all of these quality issues, it gives me pause to look at the G35 or 300C again.
Before making any decisions, you need to see how many people actually list the many problems that have been identifyed. Only a few items on the list are truely "scary." I will list 3 problems with my SL that I bought in May of 2003 -- but one of them fixed itself and one has a TSB that I've not taken the time to go to the dealer and have fixed on my car -- yet.

My Response
Last 7 digits of the VIN (final 2 can be ##): C8092##
What is the current mileage of your car? 16,880 miles

#8 Display screen scratches too easily -- this because (I believe) the plastic in the screen is too soft.
#9 Rear parcel vibrates with a certain freq of Bass Music. I would describe the sound as more of a buzz from the bass. There is a TSB to supposedly fix this problem. I also believe that item #19 describes the same problem.
#12 Manual Transmission Gear Grind -- this fixed itself after a few thousand miles.

Finally, I note a "problem" that is not on the list -- highway mileage that is lower than I expected when I bought the car. On highway trips where very little of the mileage is in-city driving (and the average speed runs between 65 and 71 mph), the mileage runs between 25 mpg and 28 mpg. I expected to get much closer to 30 mpg when I bought the car. This is a disappointment. Otherwise, I have no other disappointments with this very fine car. I would buy another one (even with the mileage).
Old 07-05-2004, 10:31 PM

I will list 3 problems with my SL that I bought in May of 2003 -- [/QUOTE]

I did a poor job of proofing this post. I actually own an SE -- it has a 6 speed which is not available on the SL. Sorry.
Old 07-06-2004, 07:23 AM

how does the skyview "explode"?
Old 07-07-2004, 12:09 PM

My complaint on quality is all the noises cause by the flexing of the cheap plastics overhead and on the doors. The crik crik sounds are annoying. I can feel between the spaces between the plactics and feel the cheap foam spacer sthey use to try to dampen the sounds and lessen the flexing which doesn't work very well. I hate the noise that come froms the seat belt mountings rattling from the front passenger side to the all of the rear seat belts. Again the dealer tried to fix the problem the rattle isn't as bad but still does rattles. I drove a 2004 Dodge Stratus all last week and didn't have any of these creaking and rattling sounds. I would have expected my 30k plus Maxima to have better quality control than this. I got it in March and I am very close to trading it in for a Acura TL. I will say it is a blast to drive but quality should have been much better.
Old 07-08-2004, 04:09 AM

Originally Posted by lilchina
My complaint on quality is all the noises cause by the flexing of the cheap plastics overhead and on the doors. The crik crik sounds are annoying. I can feel between the spaces between the plactics and feel the cheap foam spacer sthey use to try to dampen the sounds and lessen the flexing which doesn't work very well. I hate the noise that come froms the seat belt mountings rattling from the front passenger side to the all of the rear seat belts. Again the dealer tried to fix the problem the rattle isn't as bad but still does rattles. I drove a 2004 Dodge Stratus all last week and didn't have any of these creaking and rattling sounds. I would have expected my 30k plus Maxima to have better quality control than this. I got it in March and I am very close to trading it in for a Acura TL. I will say it is a blast to drive but quality should have been much better.
If you don't like interoir rattles the TL is not the car for you. Check out the TL forum. Lots of complaints of rattles. FYI the TL I test drove had rattles in the front dash area.
Old 07-08-2004, 05:36 AM
SuPeRmOd

I think I have these two:
(14. Harsh automatic shifting (especially when cold)
but the TSB says VINs only before 86..... mine is 9165##. still apply to me? It's not too bad, but more noticebale than other cars. I just thought it was all the HP.

(11. Rear parcel shelf vibrating and/or noise)
What exactly is vibrating?

Are these 2 easy/quick fixes for the dealer? Which issue fixes have been refused by dealers? Could you label TSB and/or #/link for those issues that apply?

Nissan states the orange peel is intentional? I can live with it, but more importantly is the paint getting scratched so easily. You'd think a 30k car would have more durable paint.

This should be an open sticky.
Old 07-08-2004, 05:49 AM

hey, how does the skyview explode?
Old 07-08-2004, 06:35 AM
2004 Smoke

There are other threads that deal with this in more detail - do a search...

Quick Reply: List of 2004 Maxima Quality Issues