6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

List of 2004 Maxima Quality Issues

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2004, 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by Maxima80
I think I have these two:
(14. Harsh automatic shifting (especially when cold)
but the TSB says VINs only before 86..... mine is 9165##. still apply to me? It's not too bad, but more noticebale than other cars. I just thought it was all the HP.

(11. Rear parcel shelf vibrating and/or noise)
What exactly is vibrating?

Are these 2 easy/quick fixes for the dealer? Which issue fixes have been refused by dealers? Could you label TSB and/or #/link for those issues that apply?

Nissan states the orange peel is intentional? I can live with it, but more importantly is the paint getting scratched so easily. You'd think a 30k car would have more durable paint.

This should be an open sticky.

Real parcel shelf vibrating was fixed on the 5th trip for me. A service bulletin has since been issued and your dealer should be able to fix it. I think they used dampening material to fix mine. It drove me crazy the first 4 times I took it in and for some reason the service techs couldn't hear the vibration.
Old 07-08-2004, 08:22 AM

I noticed that a problem I have been having on my SE is not listed. The "up/down" button on the steering wheel that advances the radio stations through pre-set doesn't work all the time. I have taken it in 6 times to fix. It is in the shop today and they assure me that they have fixed it now.....not holding my breath.

Has anyone else had this problem?
Old 07-08-2004, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by BlackSEMax
I noticed that a problem I have been having on my SE is not listed. The "up/down" button on the steering wheel that advances the radio stations through pre-set doesn't work all the time. I have taken it in 6 times to fix. It is in the shop today and they assure me that they have fixed it now.....not holding my breath.

Has anyone else had this problem?

Nope. Mine works fine.
Old 07-08-2004, 12:11 PM

I Love my 6th gen, but I feel like for the amount of cash I blew on this car that it should be a little higher quality build. There is definitely some cheap plastic squeaking going on. The only major problems I've had to fix was, the rear deck rattle, sun-roof malfunctioning, sway bar replaced & glove box re-alignment (still waiting on a part for that one). I cant help but think that ever since Nissan moved their plants to the US, something changed in their standards.
Old 07-08-2004, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by SilverMax_04
...I will list 3 problems with my SL that I bought in May of 2003 -- but one of them fixed itself and one has a TSB that I've not taken the time to go to the dealer and have fixed on my car -- yet.

My Response
Last 7 digits of the VIN (final 2 can be ##): C8092##
What is the current mileage of your car? 16,880 miles

#8 Display screen scratches too easily -- this because (I believe) the plastic in the screen is too soft.
#9 Rear parcel vibrates with a certain freq of Bass Music. I would describe the sound as more of a buzz from the bass. There is a TSB to supposedly fix this problem. I also believe that item #19 describes the same problem.
#12 Manual Transmission Gear Grind -- this fixed itself after a few thousand miles.
Thansk for using the format, I think it's handy.

And #19 is actually a beeping noise that emits from the speaker, not a vibrating/rattling noised caused by the speaker mount agains surrounding material. There is a thread on the beeping somewhere.
Old 07-08-2004, 02:00 PM
1 of few unmodded 4G Maxs

Originally Posted by clayman88
I cant help but think that ever since Nissan moved their plants to the US, something changed in their standards.
that "something" is Carlos Ghosn
Old 07-08-2004, 08:32 PM
OG and counting...

Methinks I'll keep an eye on this thread.
Old 07-09-2004, 02:03 AM
2004 Smoke

Quality Issues List (Update)

Here is an updated Quality Issues List that includes input received last week.

Please do not ask for answers to problems on this thread – rather research the other threads or post a new thread to find the answer you are looking for.

Please note quality issues you have been experiencing.

Keep in mind: JD Power ranks the 2004 Nissan Maxima:

1. Mechanical Quality – 2/5
2. Feature and Accessory Quality – 4/5
3. Body and Interior Quality – 2/5
4. Overall Quality – 2/5 (!!!)

Please keep in mind, as you read the list:

1. This is a master listing of most problems noted on the forum.
2. This list has not been scientifically generated, in any way.
3. Most owners experience 0-5 of these issues. No owner experiences all of these issues.
4. Most owners are able to resolve most of their problems on their own, or with their dealer. As noted, sometimes this takes multiple trips to the dealer and patience…..
5. A few problems, such as some brake and wheel shimmy, orange peel paint and broken struts, Nissan currently has no great solution for.
6. The *** rating attempts to rate the issue in terms of severity or number of times reported. No stars means only one or two persons have reported it. Two ** stars means a handful of owners have reported it, and three *** stars means Nissan has a serious problem they have already addressed or they need to address.

I added items 34-36 this week based on your input.

Master Quality Issues List

1. *** Brake shimmy or judder when braking from highway speed
2. *** Wheel shimmy between 45 and 65 mph when driving
3. *** Glove box misalignment
4. *** Left turn signal won’t return to center position
5. *** Orange peel paint
6. *** Grill peeling
7. ** Shift plate scratches too easily
8. *** Display screen scratches too easily, is foggy or has condensation inside
9. *** Rear parcel shelf vibrating and/or noise
10. *** Broken strut(s)
11. *** Harsh automatic shifting (especially when cold) with 5 speed auto
12. *** Gear grind from 1st to 2nd
13. ** Slow seat heaters
14. * Instrument cluster plastic protectors peel
15. * Weak radio reception
16. Windows slow to roll down
17. Side mirrors won’t reposition
18. * Seat shifting
19. Rear speaker “beeping”
20. Screeching sound - loose heat shield at 2000 rpm
21. * Transmission failure
22. Air bag warning label on visor bubbling up
23. Sunroof deflector hitting glass
24. ** Door trim pieces easily get rub marks
25. * HID lights – high beam won’t return to low beam
26. ** HID lights – burn out prematurely
27. * Fog lights – burn out prematurely
28. Car won’t start (loose fuel pump connector at fuse panel)
29. Right floorboard soaked floor
30. * Liquid running sound in A/C system, especially after cold start
31. Stiff doors after sitting for awhile
32. * Skyview roof exploding
33. Armrest won’t stay down and cup holder comes out of track
34. * Leaking sunroof
35. * Plastics flexing and squeaking inside cabin
36. Stereo buttons on steering wheel don’t work
Old 07-09-2004, 03:22 AM
SuPeRmOd

I'm seeing more about the poor quality brake rotors. I know they contribute to shimmy, but are an issue of their own. Nissan must tru them first, but if you're close to 12,000 miles, you may go over before they "need" replaced under that warranty.

I'm afraid doing all this is only us doing Nissan's job to make the following Maxima's better. Which is okay, but what about those of us that planned to keep this one for 10+ years?
I think it would benefit all of us to have this list divided into one of TSB's and free fixes by dealers, and another that WE should bring to Nissan's attention as prevalent enough to warrant free service.

Thanks again for starting this major topic.
Old 07-09-2004, 05:14 AM

Yesterday I went to the dealership to set an appointment for new rotors. That's the next step of the process. I asked about the brakes, they told me when they replace the rotors they are replacing the brakes too. I was happy they are doing it the right way. I also asked about the 12,000 miles thing, he told me if I had problems with the rotors after 12,000 miles, the brake would also be replaced no matter what the mileage. He basically told me the rotors and brakes go hand and hand. Let's say the rotors have no defects but you think the brakes are bad and want them replaced, 12K miles will be in affect.

Oh, he also asked how my struts are doing, he read my mind. He told me to hold off because they are re-designing the new struts and should be coming soon.
Old 07-09-2004, 06:08 AM
Old Maxima Legend

i drove moms 04 SL yesterday and was looking at the headlights. on the passenger side there is a gap in the lower front headlight to the bumper. you can look through it and see parts of the car and the ground. it looked lame to me , like it wasnt installed correctly. sure you have to hawk eye it to notice it but still was not 100%
Old 07-09-2004, 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by Maxidriver
Yesterday I went to the dealership to set an appointment for new rotors. That's the next step of the process. I asked about the brakes, they told me when they replace the rotors they are replacing the brakes too. I was happy they are doing it the right way. I also asked about the 12,000 miles thing, he told me if I had problems with the rotors after 12,000 miles, the brake would also be replaced no matter what the mileage. He basically told me the rotors and brakes go hand and hand. Let's say the rotors have no defects but you think the brakes are bad and want them replaced, 12K miles will be in affect.

Oh, he also asked how my struts are doing, he read my mind. He told me to hold off because they are re-designing the new struts and should be coming soon.
Want is the warranty on Rotors? up to 12000 miles? I get a shimmy when I break at highway speeds now at 65-75mph. I gather this is from warping rotors. I am at 15000 miles now. So does this mean I have to pay out of my pocket to have the rotors corrected?

thanks for any info