6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Good news - Bad news Story

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2004, 04:40 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Good news - Bad news Story

I'm on vacation for the next couple of weeks.

So i made an appointment to drop my Max off at a local dealer this morning to have the 5 speed auto cold tranny shock shift TSB looked at and repaired. I know that there is a TSB that deals with this issue. When i first made the appointment, the tech seemed surprised when i mentioned this problem. I was surprised that he was surprised, tihnking that someone else must have had this problem before ? I didn't mention the TSB at that point.

I brought the car in this morning and this other tech that i spoke with seemed like ha had never heard of it either ? I mention the TSB. He looks it up on his TSB CD and cannot find it. I told him that i had the number. He said the number would be useless since i had found it on the internet and that i was a "USA" TSB and not a TSB issued by Nissan Canada, where i live. I'm going like the cars are built on the smae line in the same place in TN. What is the difference. Anyways, apparently Nissan USA and Nissan Canada issue different and seperate TSBs. That makes no sense to me ? Other than maybe emissions settings the basic cars should be identical.

Now i have to bring it back and leave it overnight so that they can experience the shift shock of my cold tranny for themsleves on a test drive so that they can diagnose a problem that has already been identified, is well documented and includes a known fix that works.

Anyways for the good news....on the way back home i turn left onto the street that my street runs off of. Left hand turns are illegal between 7 and 9 am (Mon thru Fri) onto this street because of traffic in the morning etc......

I never turn left onto this street (other than on weekends) because i'm usually going the other way. But since i'm on vacation, i turn left out of habit and see a police officer right there pointing for me to pull over to the side. I explained that i lived right around the corner and admitted i did something stupid out of habit. He asked for my license, insurance and ownership papers. He looked at them and siad he'd let me off with a warning. He said that it would usually be 3 points and $110

Good guy. Chalk one up for the good guys !

Bob
Old 07-08-2004, 05:23 AM

Why don't you just print the US TSB and bring it to your dealer and say do this?
Old 07-08-2004, 08:58 AM
andymax95

Those God Damn Fockers

Old 07-08-2004, 12:45 PM

Here you go, SilverBelle04..

TSB: NTB04-045
Transmission Shift Shock When Cold
Old 07-08-2004, 02:13 PM
KC's FINEST

This is basically what happened to me today... I took mine in again to have the front brakes replaced because of the warping rotor problem. They hadent heard or seen the TSB on this, so I got on here and pulled it up for them. They had to order the parts of course but I got new front pads and had the rotors replaced. And to top it all off, I told my tech I was wanting to paint my calipers and he actually called Orielly (Auto Parts) and had them deliver a can. He then sat there and painted them for me!! He even pulled the back wheels and did the rear too. I was impressed. Ill tell you what though, driving it home after all this, my little shimmy between 55-60 is completely gone.

MY RIDES>>>
Old 07-08-2004, 02:15 PM
KC's FINEST

Silverbelle04: You should check your serial # before you bring this to them... I wish I had. I tried to get something done about this too, but the looked at my vin and told me mine wasent included. Felt kinda stupid ya know??
Old 07-08-2004, 02:54 PM
SuPeRmOd

So the highest VIN to be fixed for free must be 868337? Even though Bob has it and mine (i think), we can't get it covered under warranty? Mine shifts hard from 1st to 2nd feeling like a bad manual instead of auto,
Old 07-08-2004, 11:39 PM

Guys - Thanks for the comments and advice.

According to the above info, it does apply to mine. My car definitely jumps forward from 1st to second and shifts hard for the first few minutes of driving after sitting overnight.

I've rescheduled to bring it in on Monday (i'm leaving for Toronto in a couple of hours for the Indy Race weekend) so no time to mess with this today.

I'm going to print out the TSB and bring it in with me when i go in.

The thing that i don't understand is that the dealer told me that Nissan USA and Nissan Canada release different TSBs. That makes no sense to me since the cars are coming off the same production line. I havn't been able to find any evidence of Canada only TSBs anywhere ?

I'll keep you posted.

Bob
Old 07-09-2004, 03:24 AM

The Nissan- Canada vs Nissan- USA issue, they DO use different TSB numbers for the same TSB's. I do not know why. I have seen both for a different problem.
Old 07-12-2004, 10:21 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by ocuihs
Here you go, SilverBelle04..

TSB: NTB04-045
Transmission Shift Shock When Cold
What exactly is "Shift Shock?"

Is that when you start your car for the 1st time of the day and it shifts real hard?

I looked all through this thread but couldn't find a "definition."

Sorry...I'm still a

Dwayne
Old 07-12-2004, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by Cowboyup351
What exactly is "Shift Shock?"

Is that when you start your car for the 1st time of the day and it shifts real hard?

I looked all through this thread but couldn't find a "definition."

Sorry...I'm still a

Dwayne
Hey Dwayne - that would be it.

Bob
Old 07-12-2004, 02:00 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by SilverBelle04
Hey Dwayne - that would be it.

Bob

Thank you...I appreciate that...My car does it very very regularly and I did not know about that TSB.

Dwayne
Old 07-12-2004, 03:17 PM

Where's the TSB for the warped rotor problem??? I can't find one?????