6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Oh the Agony

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2004, 11:53 AM

Oh the Agony

8 weeks ago I ordered my Maxima. SE, Winter Frost, tan interior, SP, sunroof $28225 Last Monday afternoon I get a call that my car is in BUT it would not be ready for me to pick up until the next day (first night of no sleep). I go in at noon Tuesday, salesman greets me by A car and says "here's your car!" I say "that's not my car, that's an SL I ordered an SE" He says "are you sure" Well Duh, Yeah I'm sure. We are met at the door by the original salesman who took my order, he has now been promoted to sales manager. He looks at me in disbelief. We go into the show room to take a look at my file, sure enough they ordered the wrong trim package. He then asked me what it was about the SE that I liked. I'm sure that was so he could start his sales pitch about the SL. He offers me this car for $28178. I tell him I do not want this car and that I wanted him to find me what I ordered. I'm soooooo disappointed I think I'm going to cry. The salesmanager gets on the computer and starts looking, can't find one in the area, so my husband tells him that he saw two of them last week at a dealer in Arkansas, so he calls them. They have a one like the one I ordered but it was going to be a little while before they could get the information about the car to us. Salesmanager lets me drive the SL until he can get me my car. O.K. that pacifies me. He calls me later that afternoon to tell me that this Arkansas car has the DDP, I ordered the SP. I tell him that I'm not going to pay anymore than our original deal. He calls be back and offers me the car for $28320. O.K. for $95 more I get the next package up? SOLD He tells me it will be on the lot the next day (second night of no sleep). The next day I call the dealer twice and finally get a call back at 4:15. The car is in. Salesman says "Uh, what color interior did you want?" TAN. This car is grey salesman says! (third night of no sleep) O.K. it's today, I call the salesmanager first thing. He says "what's up". Not "WHAAAAS UUUUP" but more like "what can I do for you, why the hell are you calling me". I reiterate that I do not want grey interior. He tells me he will call the Arkansas dealer to find out if they have another car and that maybe they just sent the wrong one. The salesman calls back 4 hours later to tell me that they are still waiting for a call from the Arkansas dealer and wants to know if I would like for him to drive the car to me so I can take a look at the interior! NO, I do not want grey interior.

Now I'm driving their car for free at this point so I'm still somewhat pacified but I'm tired of them thinking they can get me to settle for something else. This car was supposed to be built just for me, the only thing I'll settle for at this point is a car that is already existing and has everything I ordered (or more of course) and doesn't have more that 200 miles on it and the vin is above the 9's. Is that too much to ask? Here it is 2 pm and I haven't heard a word. (fourth night of no sleep)
Old 07-22-2004, 12:01 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

As long as it is the 5 speed transmission, I'd take an SL over an SE anyday... what other differences are there? 18" wheels? I'd much rather have the softer ride of the SL than the SE - it's unfortunate that they were still making SL's with only 4 speed trasmissions when I bought mine.
Old 07-22-2004, 12:32 PM

Maaaan, TTBeam.... screw those ****'s. Go to another dealer. Better yet, keep driving that dealer's SL and shop around to other dealers until you find someone who has a car you want or can make it happen. Idiots! I had a similar experience with a jerk off salesman, so I feel your pain... that's why I finally gave up on them and went to another one and had zero problems getting out the door with a car I wanted.
Old 07-22-2004, 01:34 PM

18" wheels, sportier suspension, and I do not like the wood grain in the SL. 3:30 and still no call. I will be checked at another dealers tomorrow.
Old 07-22-2004, 02:11 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

That's too bad that these guys are too dumb to realize that buying a car should be a pleasurable experience for someone.

They shouldn't be trying to force a car on you that you don't want. They should be more concerned with long term client satisfaction than just making the sale. I say cancel the contract and go buy it somewhere else where they might appreciate your business.

The guys that you're dealing with don't deserve your business.

Good luck, Bob
Old 07-22-2004, 02:38 PM

Let me guess, you went to Lander's Nissan. I tried to order a car there also. Got the same run-around. After two weeks of "we have something really close on the lot" calls, I find out that they never ordered my car in the first place. They don't do special orders. I drove up to Dobbs Nissan in Memphis and ordered exactly what I wanted for less money.

-Robert
Old 07-23-2004, 03:06 AM

It's Dobbs that is doing this to me. I would like to think that they are between a rock and a hard place and really cannot find the car I want from a dealer they can trade with. I called around last night and found a dealer in AL that found two that he can get but the price will be $800 more that what Dobbs was doing. I'll be calling around some more today. Should I compromise and go for more car w/the wrong (grey) interior? or right interior and diff suspension? How bad could the grey be when you can't hardly tell from the outside of the car. AUGGGGGGGGGG
Old 07-23-2004, 04:10 AM

I wouldn't compromise. You may end up regretting it eventually. I'd say wait and get the one you want.
Bob
Old 07-23-2004, 04:17 AM
SuPeRmOd

Check other dealers to see if they can help you and price match the other deal. Or call Nissan directly and tell them your story. Do not settle for less. If all else fails, like if there are no more orders for 04, try to get a similar deal on an 05.

I would give them 1 more chance. If the next time you talk, tell them you are contacting Nissan about their poor service, going to another dealer, and informing everyone you now (including here) about them. Only agree on receiving your car (or better = SAME PRICE) or a really good 05 deal. If they can still order an 04, demand more (upgrade-same price, or a big discount).

The SL should be cheaper and I would want the SE wheels thrown in for free.

Best wishes, this vehicle is worth the wait, but not that "service". Even if they get you one, give them a bad survey response (with a detailed comment) and go elsewhere for service.
Old 07-23-2004, 06:03 AM
SuPeRmOd

Originally Posted by savagecat

Take the car on a road trip or go off roading with it. See how fast it can go in reverse.

Do some donuts, make a movie and post it over in MaximaRacing.org
I like that idea. You have free reign at a real test drive. See what it can really do, safely of course. Allow everyone else to drive it, they're only chance, because they would never drive the one I paid for. Play with the shifter and test each gear's limit. Try to have some fun during the dismal wait. Definetly drive it to all the Dealers within an hour's drive and try to find a better deal.
Old 07-23-2004, 06:49 AM

Sorry guys but I can't do that. When they gave me the car I signed an agreement that said I was responsible for any damage. Plus my conscience wouldn't let me. I'll be calling 7 other dealers today and then making a decision based on what I find. To be continued..............
Old 07-23-2004, 07:04 AM

They're probably hoping that the grey interior will grow on you and you'll get comfortable with the car and just want to keep it. Get what you want so you have no regrets later. I bought a car once that wasn't the color or the interior that I wanted only because the car was supposedly hard to get. I ended up selling it nine months later because I wasn't happy. Good luck and hope it works out.
Old 07-23-2004, 09:00 AM

I got the white with the tan interior and wish I got the grey. I personally like the grey better, think it goes with the chrome accents a little better, but at the time, I was too excited to think about it clearly. The tan is still nice though, gives it a sophisticated look i think. You can't go wrong with either one though, just make sure you don't get it grudgingly because it will haunt you forever!

If you do end up with it, maybe you can get them to throw in the XM for free or soemthing.
Old 07-23-2004, 09:46 AM

check these guys out http://www.bobhowardnissan.com/en_US/ They are one of the largest Nissan dealers in the country great service and price I paid 32,000 for a 35,000 msrp car last September in Onyx and frost leather and they gave me the Elite package at no charge and delivered it to my door in Ft. Smith AR
Old 07-23-2004, 11:14 AM

A few thoughts.

The window for '04 special order Maximas has been closed for almost a month. In fact, no new '04 Maximas have arrived at the 24 Nissan dealers within a hundred miles of Atlanta during the last week. I suspect the assembly line may already be undergoing conversion for the '05s this week, although I had heard the conversion would begin next week.

Although the '05s may begin rolling off the converted assembly line by mid-August, it will probably be September before we begin seeing the '05s on dealer's lots, and good deals on '05s may be tough to come by the first month or so.

Unless the Nissan assembly plant has changed their way of doing business, they will not be excited about doing a 'special order' vehicle early in the run of a new model year. I would be surprised if the wait for an '05 would be much less than three months if the order was placed today.

Most frost '04 Maximas have frost interiors, as this is a natural fit with white. Although I personally am a maverick who likes what I like, and the 'artists' be d-----, this is one instance in which I agree with them. The tan leather clashes with white (artistically speaking, tan is a 'warm' color while white is a 'cool' color). In fact, unless one orders the sensory package or above, tan is not even available in frost Maximas.

The number of Maximas leaving Smyrna with the sensory package (but nothing higher) is fairly small. This makes finding an exact match more difficult.

If you can get past the woodgrain look, the SL gives far more goodies for the money than the SE. Have you looked very carefully at the list of standard features on the SL and compared it with the SE? The Driver's preferred pkg costs $700 on an SL, but over $3,000 on an SE, because most of the stuff is already on a base SL.

But if you have your heart set on an SE, and you aren't willing to undergo several months of waiting for an '05 special order, it might be time to consider the areas in which you could compromise. Maybe you should begin working for the best deal you can get on an SE that comes very close to what you want. I would suggest trying to get an SE with the driver's preferred package at the cost you would have had to pay for just the sensory package. Or better.

If you have time, and wouldn't mind grinding thru the inventories of dealers, I can tell you how to search any Nissan dealer's lot in the country on the official Nissan site. I use the official site because websites maintained by the dealers are usually almost worthless when it comes to exactly what is on any particular car.

Good luck with your endeavors. Let us know how things turn out.
Old 07-25-2004, 08:06 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

It's always amazing to me, the many different ways someone can show thier ignorence. In this case, it would be you. You automatically assume that someone is out to screw you. I have done business with Dobbs for years, and yes on a couple of occasions, someone made a mistake, but they always went out of thier way to correct it. And the fact that you are out to get something for nothing, lets me know you don't even deserve a maxima. Be glad I'm not that guy, or I would tell you exactly, and I mean exactly where you could take your business.

MAXXXXXXXXXFREAK
Old 07-25-2004, 08:49 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Ok!! first off I know you were dissapointed that they "accidentally" ordered the wrong trim package, but do you actually think they did it on purpose???? I have done business with Dobb's for about 6 years now and I would not buy a car from another dealership in Memphis. The one thing I think you need to remember is we are all humans and we ALL make mistakes and at least they are trying to get you the car that you wanted. Im sure you do not want to settle for someting else. You want the car that you ordered and will not settle for less, but dont bad mouth the dealership, because this is how those men and women make their livings and put food on the table for their families. Im sure if there was anyway possible that they could have that car on their lot tomorrow they would and I think you know that, but need someone to blame because you are mad adn upset. Buying a new car is a big investment and should be an enjoyable expierence, and most of the timeit is, but if you took a poll to find the best dealership in Memohis you would get a 50/50 tally. Everyone does not have the same expierence. I really think they are being awful patient with you and trying to the best job they can to find the EXACT car that you want but you also have to be patien back or they may just tell you where you can go and how to get there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-25-2004, 09:15 PM

HI ttbeam,

after reading your msg... the first thing that came to my mind was " you are a woman" and the sales "guys" are not treating u the way they would do a guy.

This is just my reading of your comments.. might be totally wrong but...

as far as colours go ... any colour is great ... its the car!! that counts and the max is a great one .. have driven it for 11months+ now (have a black on black se) Alittle advice .. get a dark colour interior (grey & tan arent great) I saw an orange (or amber ) when Iwas buying and it had abt 9K on it and the seat was black on the edges of the seat (dirt!) Nomatter how clean u try to be in ure car it will get dirty...

good luck!

p.s get to another dealer asap... if the sales guys are so bad just imagine the service dept!!
Old 07-26-2004, 07:37 AM
SuPeRmOd

Originally Posted by Spunko
Hey maxfreak and sydsmaxx... keep your newbie chatter to a minimum if you are going to slam. You must be the same person posting under two different names. Lame. Judging by your comments, I'll assume you work for this dealer, are a salesperson, or have some vested interest in them. Again... Lame.
LOL... wow, look closer, same town, same car, same join date, and posts are only 40 minutes apart. Good eye Spunko. that is really sad if they are the dealer (still sad b/c same person).
ttBeam you really need to find a new dealer and report this disrespectful, dishonest, just plain "dissed" dealer to Nissan.

Now only if Nissan's survey worked more accurately, these dealers would have to get it together instead of "Very Good" one suffering for not being perfect.

So how is the search for your dream max going? thinking you may have to compromise a little or wait even longer for an 05. Just keep driving dissed dobb's until one comes up. See if they will change the wheels and woodgrain interior to look like an SE (for free of course).
Old 07-26-2004, 01:58 PM

I should be getting my Max tomorrow. I found one with the colors I want along with the DDP on Friday. Found it 2 hours south of here. I called the salesmanager at Dobbs and they are making the trade. YIPPY

I too have done business with Dobbs for years. This will be the second car I've purchased from them. I realize that the first mistake was human error as was the second mistake. It was the sales managers attitude towards these mistakes that was irritating. I only mentioned Dobbs because someone asked me who the dealer was. My intentions in posting my delema was only to share my "Agony" in having waited 8 weeks for "my car" to arrive only to have my bubble burst.
Old 07-26-2004, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by ttbeam
I should be getting my Max tomorrow. I found one with the colors I want along with the DDP on Friday. Found it 2 hours south of here. I called the salesmanager at Dobbs and they are making the trade. YIPPY

I too have done business with Dobbs for years. This will be the second car I've purchased from them. I realize that the first mistake was human error as was the second mistake. It was the sales managers attitude towards these mistakes that was irritating. I only mentioned Dobbs because someone asked me who the dealer was. My intentions in posting my delema was only to share my "Agony" in having waited 8 weeks for "my car" to arrive only to have my bubble burst.
Excellent ! Drop in and let us know how you like it !

Bob
Old 07-28-2004, 04:55 AM
SuPeRmOd

So you're getting the SE with DPP and the colors you wanted? For the same price? That would be outstanding. Let us know. Either way, happy to hear you're finally getting your Max. Wow, Fri. is so far away. If what you wanted, will be so worth it.
Old 07-28-2004, 05:31 AM

8 weeks ago I ordered my Maxima. SE, Winter Frost, tan interior, SP, sunroof $28225 Last Monday afternoon I get a call that my car is in BUT it would not be ready for me to pick up until the next day (first night of no sleep). I go in at noon Tuesday, salesman greets me by A car and says "here's your car!" I say "that's not my car, that's an SL I ordered an SE" He says "are you sure" Well Duh, Yeah I'm sure. We are met at the door by the original salesman who took my order, he has now been promoted to sales manager. He looks at me in disbelief. We go into the show room to take a look at my file, sure enough they ordered the wrong trim package. He then asked me what it was about the SE that I liked. I'm sure that was so he could start his sales pitch about the SL. He offers me this car for $28178. I tell him I do not want this car and that I wanted him to find me what I ordered. I'm soooooo disappointed I think I'm going to cry. The salesmanager gets on the computer and starts looking, can't find one in the area, so my husband tells him that he saw two of them last week at a dealer in Arkansas, so he calls them. They have a one like the one I ordered but it was going to be a little while before they could get the information about the car to us. Salesmanager lets me drive the SL until he can get me my car. O.K. that pacifies me. He calls me later that afternoon to tell me that this Arkansas car has the DDP, I ordered the SP. I tell him that I'm not going to pay anymore than our original deal. He calls be back and offers me the car for $28320. O.K. for $95 more I get the next package up? SOLD He tells me it will be on the lot the next day (second night of no sleep). The next day I call the dealer twice and finally get a call back at 4:15. The car is in. Salesman says "Uh, what color interior did you want?" TAN. This car is grey salesman says! (third night of no sleep) O.K. it's today, I call the salesmanager first thing. He says "what's up". Not "WHAAAAS UUUUP" but more like "what can I do for you, why the hell are you calling me". I reiterate that I do not want grey interior. He tells me he will call the Arkansas dealer to find out if they have another car and that maybe they just sent the wrong one. The salesman calls back 4 hours later to tell me that they are still waiting for a call from the Arkansas dealer and wants to know if I would like for him to drive the car to me so I can take a look at the interior! NO, I do not want grey interior.

Now I'm driving their car for free at this point so I'm still somewhat pacified but I'm tired of them thinking they can get me to settle for something else. This car was supposed to be built just for me, the only thing I'll settle for at this point is a car that is already existing and has everything I ordered (or more of course) and doesn't have more that 200 miles on it and the vin is above the 9's. Is that too much to ask? Here it is 2 pm and I haven't heard a word. (fourth night of no sleep)
ttbeam have you tried shopping on the internet searching dealer stock! nissanusa.com worked for me. I found my dpp with vdc bronze by searching dealer stock. Let the fingers find it>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Old 07-28-2004, 05:48 AM

I was going to agree with lightonthehill and recommend that you wait for an '05, but it seems as though you have found the one that you want. So good luck, and Happy Maxing!

Hey, that gives me an idea! Why doesn't someone come up with a buzzword or phrase that can be used in conversation with other Maxima owners that will let them know that you are part of this group! Happy Maxing just popped to mind while I was typing this reply, but Maxout, Maximum, Maximus, or whatever could work. All right, I may have a bit too much time on my hands this morning. It's just a thought.
Old 07-28-2004, 11:31 AM

Update: I went to the dealer yesterday (Tuesday) to pick up the car. I looked it over, drove it, everything looked great. It is a beautiful car. It has a really nice gold pinstripe on the side and the wheels are beautiful! And I love the way it handles the curves, it's extremely responsive.

We went into the sales room and wrote up the paperwork, the price was even a little cheaper! 28170 for an SE with DPP and sunroof, not bad.

Here's the bad news. After the signing was over and we went outside for the handing over of the keys, I gave the car another look over and the salesman followed behind with some sort of solution to rub off the "little blemishes" I was finding. I mention that the detailers kids did a terrible job so he offers me a free car wash the next time I'm in. I then noticed some marks on the windshield. Turns out they were chips in the glass. He immediately took it over to an auto glass place to get repaired. He comes right back, it can't be repaired because some of the marks are in the glass itself. BUMMER, the windshield will have to be replaced. They say they can do it the next day. I take the car home. My husband (you guessed right tubells) is a little peeved, says you never know if you will get a good seal once the windshield is replaced. Hadn't thought of that. He looks at the car and notices the bumper is crooked!!! Now why hadn't I noticed that, because I was too concerned with blemishes (It a woman thing) He check it over real good and cannot find any clues that would indicated that it was wrecked. I call the dealer right away and tell them about our discovery.

O.k. it's Wednesday and I'm back from dropping off my car. My husband had gone the dealer first thing this morning to look at the other Maxs on the lot to compare the bumpers. He found 2 that were perfect. All of the other were slightly off but not as bad as mine. That made me feel a little better. They've given me an Altima to drive (man I'm glad I didn't go that route). The GM was extremely apologetic and assured me that they will do everything they can to make this car perfect for me. Hmmmmmmm. Stay tuned................
Old 07-28-2004, 01:18 PM
meh

oooh, the drama
Old 07-28-2004, 01:31 PM

I'm getting treated like crap by Nissan too, no calls from them yet on a locate.
Old 07-30-2004, 08:14 AM

I got my car!!! All is great in my world now.

The bumper was still a little off kilter but was livable. My husband did some tweaking this morning and now it looks great. It's suppose to rain here today and tomorrow so we'll see if there are any leaks.
Old 07-30-2004, 08:47 AM

The bumper was still a little off kilter but was livable. My husband did some tweaking this morning and now it looks great. It's suppose to rain here today and tomorrow so we'll see if there are any leaks.

Good for you, glad everything worked out and you're finally satisfied. Post some pics when you can so we can check that baby out.
Old 07-30-2004, 02:33 PM

...My husband (you guessed right tubells) is a little peeved, ...
man, that's a trip. i knew it, but it figures. guys consistently try to dupe my wife (ie. Toyota dealership, landscaper, deck builder) and it's pathetic. unfortunately, she has to run things like this by me to make sure she's not getting taken. i usually have to end up calling the person and straightening it out (landscaper: 300 bags of mulch to cover a small area?!?! WTF?!?). unfortunate that it has to be like that.

in any event, ttbeam, enjoy your max and don't look to hard to find things wrong with it. just drive and enjoy.
Old 07-31-2004, 04:05 AM
SuPeRmOd

bumper? Did I miss something, what's wrong with it? So what colors and trim level did you get? Happy to hear it all worked out.
Old 07-31-2004, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by maxfreak
It's always amazing to me, the many different ways someone can show thier ignorence. In this case, it would be you. You automatically assume that someone is out to screw you. I have done business with Dobbs for years, and yes on a couple of occasions, someone made a mistake, but they always went out of thier way to correct it. And the fact that you are out to get something for nothing, lets me know you don't even deserve a maxima. Be glad I'm not that guy, or I would tell you exactly, and I mean exactly where you could take your business.

MAXXXXXXXXXFREAK
You @sshole.. I can't believe you view it this way.. The dealer fukked up, like always, and they should do more than they should to retain customers. They did screw this person. They keep pushing and pressuring to take a car that SHE DOES NOT WANT. how does that mean they are going out of there way.

I dont think you deserve to drive a maxima. UNless you like taking it up the @ss by the dealerships. I can't believe you posted that bull$hit on these forums.

How do you figure something for nothing. This person has been waiting and waiting. SPending a lot of money on a car they ORDERED. These *******s should maybe reimburse them a few hundred dollars and appologize and possible send them to another dealership.

I think i should tell you where you should take your post.
Old 07-31-2004, 05:52 PM

Congratulations.

I dont think i could have waited that long and only get disappointed. I would have that dealers head on a plate, if they did that to me.

Just to let you know, its a BUSINESS, and you held strong.. We as consumers can't let dealers or any business get away with errors on their part, even if that means negative profits for them. Carelessness followed by appology is not enough compensation to the amount of torment you went through.