6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Satellite Radio

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2004, 07:56 AM

Satellite Radio

I know this subject has been discussed before, but I cannot search the archives (its a pity that a normal user can't use the search funtion of this otherwise great BB)
What is the best Sat Radio service?
Is there any recommended equipment?
Can the Sat Radio output be hooked into the OEM Bose radio without the hokky cassette adapters etc.?
What about antennas and reception?
Many thanks for all comments.
Old 07-26-2004, 08:16 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I don't think that you'll get a clear answer on which sat service is better. There are fans of both.

I can say that I use XM and am pleased with the selection and quality of the programming.
Old 07-26-2004, 09:03 AM
Banned

Do you have a SAT button option on your head unit? If so the dealer can install a Nissan approved unit that will work just like a regular radio reciever (i.e. dial ***** and steering wheel controls work). They have both XM and Sirrius recievers. I believe that they are supplied by Clarion and cost about $400 installed. I also believe that thier is an aftermarket Clarion reciever but I am not sure of its price. Also, look for a "mini" antenna instead of the big scarob looking one.

I have XM in my car and Sirrius in the house. Both are good. I hear that the Sirrius satellites are in a higher orbit and don't cut out as much in hilly areas.
Old 07-26-2004, 09:40 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

If you're a sports fan, especially NFL, you'll want to go with Sirius, which has an exclusive contract to broadcast every NFL game this season, and its included in your regular subscription price. Plus, I think they'll be playing both the home AND away broadcasts of each game separately, for most of the games at least, so you can listen to your hometown radio guys no matter where the team is playing. I have Sirius in my Max and I love it, the selection of channels is great, although you still find yourself flipping stations to find a song to listen to... the great thing though is you're not flipping because of commercials! Def worth only $10 a month.
Old 07-26-2004, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by jaydabee
Do you have a SAT button option on your head unit? If so the dealer can install a Nissan approved unit that will work just like a regular radio reciever (i.e. dial ***** and steering wheel controls work). They have both XM and Sirrius recievers. I believe that they are supplied by Clarion and cost about $400 installed. I also believe that thier is an aftermarket Clarion reciever but I am not sure of its price. Also, look for a "mini" antenna instead of the big scarob looking one.

I have XM in my car and Sirrius in the house. Both are good. I hear that the Sirrius satellites are in a higher orbit and don't cut out as much in hilly areas.

I do have a SAT button on my head unit. I will call Nissan to check on available units.

Thanks
Old 07-26-2004, 12:19 PM

mailjbrown.... go here and buy your OEM kit for your max. they sell the kit the cheapest because it comes without the antenna. they have a selection of a few different size antennas that you can pick from. go for the micro as it's a quarter the size of the standard brick.

http://www.infinitiwholesaleparts.co...cPage_11.chtml

i bought my setup from them and they are prompt and courteous.
Old 07-26-2004, 01:32 PM

I agree with Spunko and bought my kit from them as well. Shipping was fast and reasonable, kit was super easy to install. I have both XM and Sirius, but probably like the Sirius a little better. Both are great and each has its strong points. Note that your trunk lid is aluminum and the magnetic antenna won't stick. I put mine in the rear window and get excellent reception, even during a recent Colorado mountain canyon drive! You can buy an antenna on Ebay, just make sure to either get one with two leads, or you'll need the "splitter" that allows the tuner to convert to a single lead.
Good luck, you'll enjoy the results.
Old 07-27-2004, 09:52 AM

I bought the Sirius from Grubbs Infiniti/Nissan because they (sirius) offer a lifetime subscription for $499 and since we will have the car for probably 10 years. I also put the antenna on the back self with no problems.
Old 07-27-2004, 11:16 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by JohnFisher
I bought the Sirius from Grubbs Infiniti/Nissan because they (sirius) offer a lifetime subscription for $499 and since we will have the car for probably 10 years. I also put the antenna on the back self with no problems.
To all of those who have placed their antenna on the back shelf.. are you attaching it in any way? Where did you run the wires?

I am currently not attaching it, but I do stick the little "lip" on the end of the tail under the top of the rear seat. I slit some small tubing and placed the wire in it and ran it around the left side of the seat. I'll try to take some pics tonight.
Old 07-27-2004, 02:34 PM

My '04 Max is pre-wired so I tried to order a kit online from a dealer in TX that had them on sale cheap. However, when I called to check on the order the dealer told me they were sold out and that a new model was being created as the older ones (this is for Sirius) apparently have some technical problems. Anyone familiar with these problems? They said the newer model will be in the $400 range, and if I do decide to go with the older model, I should make sure that it comes with a warranty.

If anyone has any thoughts on this, I'd appreciate hearing them.

I rented a car last month with Sirius in it and I loved it, particularly channel 22: "First Wave" (classic new wave/alternative).

Old 07-27-2004, 07:35 PM

The choice of Sat Radio is subjective. As you see above there are many different opinions. You need to research both and listen to them both.

I started with XM, bought a Sirius and evaluated them for a few months. I now have 5 Sirius subscriptions (including the max which is factory) and zero XM. I like their programming, sound quality, and the fact that the NFL is on board.
Old 07-28-2004, 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by Surly
My '04 Max is pre-wired so I tried to order a kit online from a dealer in TX that had them on sale cheap. However, when I called to check on the order the dealer told me they were sold out and that a new model was being created as the older ones (this is for Sirius) apparently have some technical problems. Anyone familiar with these problems? They said the newer model will be in the $400 range, and if I do decide to go with the older model, I should make sure that it comes with a warranty.

If anyone has any thoughts on this, I'd appreciate hearing them.

I rented a car last month with Sirius in it and I loved it, particularly channel 22: "First Wave" (classic new wave/alternative).

Being that I just bought my kit, I called around to local dealers first. I made initial inquiries right after I bought my car and they all quoted the standard price of like $340 or so. But, recently, when I called ready to buy, all three dealers in town were out of stock. They checked the price, quoted the $340, but then said "hold on a sec, something is changing." They all came back saying it was being updated and quoted a $533 price (or something like that). I was shopping for XM, so it now appears that they are updating BOTH receivers. I didn't want to pay $533 when it was all said and done, so I promptly ordered from Grubbs who had stock on the kits.

I guess Nissan is up to something on these receivers, so let us know what you end up paying and what you find out.