6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Berk Technology Intake is in

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2004, 04:11 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Berk Technology Intake is in

Hey guys - just finished installing my new Berk Technology intake. It took me about 45 minutes to an hour to install.

I just finished a quick little test drive. Sounds almost stock when taking off normal. Has a nice growl when you go about halfway down on the throttle. And screams when you crank it.

Don't know about more power at this point, but i only have access to the butt dyno to measure.

I'll take it for a better test drive in the next few days and let you know what i think.

bob
Old 07-28-2004, 06:35 PM
*moderator*

Welcome aboard, I'm happy with my Berk as well!!
I'll be interested to see some dynos....Bryan said he's working on getting some stats..
Old 07-28-2004, 07:31 PM

I ordered mine a few weeks ago, but apparently the Apexi filters are on backorder. I can't wait...
Old 07-28-2004, 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by us024077
I ordered mine a few weeks ago, but apparently the Apexi filters are on backorder. I can't wait...
Yea same here. Bryan hopes to have them in by the end of the month was the last I heard. Keep my fingers crossed.
Old 07-28-2004, 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by SilverBelle04
Hey guys - just finished installing my new Berk Technology intake. It took me about 45 minutes to an hour to install.

I just finished a quick little test drive. Sounds almost stock when taking off normal. Has a nice growl when you go about halfway down on the throttle. And screams when you crank it.

Don't know about more power at this point, but i only have access to the butt dyno to measure.

I'll take it for a better test drive in the next few days and let you know what i think.

bob
Hey Bob, I am interested in the sound you say it makes. Is it like a deep growl that you hear from your exhaust or do you hear it more from under the hood? Can't wait to get mine. Hope installation is as easy as they say. Did you get teh apexi filter?
Thanks,
Matt
Old 07-28-2004, 11:16 PM
*moderator*

You definitely hear it more up front but it gets pretty loud all around, makes the Max sound mean!!
I'm running the Apexi filter...
Old 07-29-2004, 01:58 AM

Originally Posted by mattlerose
Hey Bob, I am interested in the sound you say it makes. Is it like a deep growl that you hear from your exhaust or do you hear it more from under the hood? Can't wait to get mine. Hope installation is as easy as they say. Did you get teh apexi filter?
Thanks,
Matt
I did get the Apexi filter. Like jsmithsole mentioned the sound is more up front but it makes the Max sound mean. I took off from a corner in first (manual shift mode) and let her rip and shifted into second. It screamed and sounds like it means business. I'm pretty sure you'll like it.

Nice quality set up and the install is easy. Just open your hood and set the illustrated instructions (included with the kit) on top of the motor cover and follow the step-by-step. I'm no mechanic and it took me less than an hour. And that was with my wife sitting beside my car and talking to me incessantly the whole time

Bob
Old 07-29-2004, 05:21 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I did get the Apexi filter. Like jsmithsole mentioned the sound is more up front but it makes the Max sound mean. I took off from a corner in first (manual shift mode) and let her rip and shifted into second. It screamed and sounds like it means business. I'm pretty sure you'll like it.

Nice quality set up and the install is easy. Just open your hood and set the illustrated instructions (included with the kit) on top of the motor cover and follow the step-by-step. I'm no mechanic and it took me less than an hour. And that was with my wife sitting beside my car and talking to me incessantly the whole time

Bob
Bob - Congrats on the added butt dyno power - looks great and am probably headed there as well - will post pics of the pedals when I get them installed and for the blah-blah-blah I feel your pain!!
Old 07-29-2004, 11:28 PM
*moderator*

Bob

Yeah my install was easy as well Bryan from Berk used my car for the instruction manual!!! I guess I was the equivalent of Bob's wife talking to him the whole time.
Thanks Bryan, looks like the manual works!!!!
Old 07-30-2004, 06:39 AM

looks good man!
Old 07-31-2004, 05:40 AM

Filter and Mufflers

Has any here with the Berk Intake put on different mufflers or are you still running the car with the OEM mufflers?

Just was curious.. to see what mufflers you used and how it sounded and performed with aftermarket mufflers and the Berk intake.

Mike
Old 07-31-2004, 05:51 AM

Originally Posted by plasmaorb
Has any here with the Berk Intake put on different mufflers or are you still running the car with the OEM mufflers?

Just was curious.. to see what mufflers you used and how it sounded and performed with aftermarket mufflers and the Berk intake.

Mike
OEM muffs here.

Bob
Old 07-31-2004, 09:48 AM
*moderator*

OEM as well....for now!
Old 08-03-2004, 01:12 PM

Magnaflow Mufflers and Berk Intake

Im thinking about putting ont he 14816 Magnaflow Mufflers and the Berk Intake within the next week or so.... hope i get a major boost from putting those on at the same time

Ill post again when i happen to get the time to do it...
Old 08-03-2004, 04:02 PM
Old Maxima Legend

hey that looks good, job well done !
Old 08-05-2004, 09:41 AM

Yea same here. Bryan hopes to have them in by the end of the month was the last I heard. Keep my fingers crossed.
I ordered mine yesterday - talked to Bryan and the Apexi filters came in on Monday or Tuesday of this week so you should be receiving your orders shortly! Can't wait!
Old 08-05-2004, 10:46 AM

Has anyone seen any dyno numbers on these yet? I asked Bryan about it a few weeks ago, and he said that they were working on it.
Old 08-06-2004, 08:55 AM

Berk Technology Intake

Where do you get them and how much ?
Old 08-06-2004, 10:13 AM

I have an apexi filter for sale if anyone's interested...used for about 6-7k miles, looks like new, want $45 shipped or $40 pick up, MAss area, paypal accepted.
Old 08-06-2004, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by kapesports
Where do you get them and how much ?
They should be available for online ordering soon at www.berktechnology.com,

In the mean time just email us directly, bryan@berktechnology.com

Regards,
Bryan
Old 08-18-2004, 05:24 AM

bob
Bob - Mine arrived yesterday from Berk - will install it this weekend and give you a report on Monday - how's the Stillen Sway Bar? Do you like it?? Give us some pics and a report! Thanks!!
Old 08-18-2004, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by 04SEelite
Bob - Mine arrived yesterday from Berk - will install it this weekend and give you a report on Monday - how's the Stillen Sway Bar? Do you like it?? Give us some pics and a report! Thanks!!

Glad you got your intake. I'm sure you'll like it.

As for the STILLEN sway bar. I LOVE IT ! It is awesome when push the car into corners or even changing lanes on the freeway. Much tighter turns and the steering seems more responsive.

I love my Max too much !

Bob
Old 08-18-2004, 05:47 PM

Glad you got your intake. I'm sure you'll like it.

As for the STILLEN sway bar. I LOVE IT ! It is awesome when push the car into corners or even changing lanes on the freeway. Much tighter turns and the steering seems more responsive.

I love my Max too much !

Bob
Hey Bob, Did you install the swaybar yourself? I think you said in an earlier post but I didn't feel like going back through to find it.
Old 08-18-2004, 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by DougJones
Has anyone seen any dyno numbers on these yet? I asked Bryan about it a few weeks ago, and he said that they were working on it.
Dyno numbers?

Old 08-18-2004, 07:09 PM

Hey Bob, Did you install the swaybar yourself? I think you said in an earlier post but I didn't feel like going back through to find it.
No i paid $40 to have it installed. Its a pretty easy install if you don't mind lying on your back in your laneway under 3500 lbs of metal. Which i didn't feel like doing.

Bob
Old 08-18-2004, 07:28 PM
SuPeRmOd

I love my Max too much !

Bob
Who did you buy your bar from again? Do you really notice less body roll? Is there more oversteer? How much faster can you take a turn? I've been waiting for a Front Stabilizer bar, but not sure one will ever be made. Could you tell a difference looking at it vs. the stock one (thickness, quality, etc)?

thanks Bob,
Justin

Glad to here the success of the intake.
Old 08-19-2004, 03:20 AM

Originally Posted by Maxima80
Who did you buy your bar from again? Do you really notice less body roll? Is there more oversteer? How much faster can you take a turn? I've been waiting for a Front Stabilizer bar, but not sure one will ever be made. Could you tell a difference looking at it vs. the stock one (thickness, quality, etc)?

thanks Bob,
Justin

Glad to here the success of the intake.
I bought it from Stillen (side note: a lot of people complain about STILLEN for prices, etc.........I've had nothing but great experiences buying from them).

Anyways, the bar offer a ride with less roll and is much tighter if you go into a corner quickly. Or faster than normal. If you just putter in, it doesn't feel any different. But you can definitely feel it working when you push it.

There's an "S" shape off-ramp that i often take to get off the freeway, i can't tell you how much faster that i can take it because i never really looked at the speed, but i do know that i went in pretty fast the other day and it just zipped right through with a lot more confidence and less body roll. Don't get me wrong, the bar will not turn your Max a Ferrari. But it is a good improvement and makes ol' SilverBelle that much more fun to drive. IMO - the bar is worth the money ($).

The bar looked the same as the stock other than color. The walls are apprently thicker.

Hope this helps,

Bob
Old 08-20-2004, 01:20 PM

I've had mine on for about 5 days (unfortunately it took over a month to receive from the time I ordered it).

Very easy to install. Sounds good.

Best of all my mileage has improved. On the x-way I had always averaged about 25.7-26.3 mpg. This week (1000 miles plus) I was getting between 27.2 and 28 mpg (same brand of gas, same area travelled).

Thanks Berk!
Old 08-22-2004, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by us024077
I've had mine on for about 5 days (unfortunately it took over a month to receive from the time I ordered it).

Very easy to install. Sounds good.

Best of all my mileage has improved. On the x-way I had always averaged about 25.7-26.3 mpg. This week (1000 miles plus) I was getting between 27.2 and 28 mpg (same brand of gas, same area travelled).

Thanks Berk!
I'm sorry about that lag time in getting your intake out. Apexi can't supply the filters as fast as I need them. I've had to go to other overseas vendors in order to keep my supply chain moving. Apexi USA is just can't step up my supply needs.

I'm glad you like it. I hope that it was worth the wait.

Regards,
Bryan
bryan@berktechnology.com
Old 08-29-2004, 01:11 PM
Going Ginsu

Couldn't you use a K&N or something equivalent?
Old 08-29-2004, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by savagecat
Couldn't you use a K&N or something equivalent?
The K&N option is available from Berk Techmology. Some people prefer to go the dry filter type and order the Apexi option.

Bob
Old 08-29-2004, 01:48 PM

The K&N option is available from Berk Techmology. Some people prefer to go the dry filter type and order the Apexi option.

Bob
Looks nice, any dyno charts of the Berk over stock? Also, how are the dealers looking at the intake install with warranty issues? That is the main thing with me. I have had a few CAI installed on my cars but all of them were out of warranty. I have never had a issue with K&N and had them on alot of my cars....again, main thing is what will happen if you bring the car for service under warranty and they see a non Nissan installed thing under the hood. Some might laugh at my question, but there are some dealers out there that will void it for any thing. Still seems to me that a true CAI will pick up better air from under the engine though, but then you risk hydrolock....not a good thing either. Besides the port from the front, where is this getting the air from? Sorry, just a few honest questions.
Old 08-29-2004, 01:59 PM

I havn't seen any dyno charts. So no idea ? i only have butt dyno to go from.

Butt dyno says:

I had a K&N on a previous car and had no issues either. I was more worried about the maintenance part of the K&N.

Your question is not funny sounding in the least. I worry about the same thing with my dealer reaction. I have box with all of my stock aprts and the tools that i need to re-install to stock form if a "reversal" needs to happen quickly. Like when broken down on the sode of the road. My swfie knows where it is and wil come to my rescue with my repair "kit". The stock stuff is easy to take off and to re-install.

Some dealers may not care and some may care to much.

It gets air from under the car and from the front of the hood.

By the way - i just had to drive through a major downpour for about 45 minutes. When i got home i opened the hood to see if it was wet around the filter under there. It was dry as a bone.

Hope that helps.

Bob
Old 08-29-2004, 02:10 PM

I havn't seen any dyno charts. So no idea ? i only have butt dyno to go from.

Butt dyno says:

I had a K&N on a previous car and had no issues either. I was more worried about the maintenance part of the K&N.

Your question is not funny sounding in the least. I worry about the same thing with my dealer reaction. I have box with all of my stock aprts and the tools that i need to re-install to stock form if a "reversal" needs to happen quickly. Like when broken down on the sode of the road. My swfie knows where it is and wil come to my rescue with my repair "kit". The stock stuff is easy to take off and to re-install.

Some dealers may not care and some may care to much.

It gets air from under the car and from the front of the hood.

By the way - i just had to drive through a major downpour for about 45 minutes. When i got home i opened the hood to see if it was wet around the filter under there. It was dry as a bone.

Hope that helps.

Bob
Thanks SilverBelle04. Still waiting on a nice dyno report to see if this mod is a worthwile one besides sound. You have to understand I have a Camaro LS1 background, had to get rid of that for a nice family car. On the Camaro, there were no concerns about what I did as far as function and performance. Since this is a new car, anything that will void the warranty and only give a few HP increase...might not be a good idea for me. Just seems that on the Maxima, at least the 6th gen, changing the exhaust, intake.....pretty expensive and does not do that much overall. Still learning as are most of the people here on what to do. I did not expect this to be like my LS1....but even with that car, I still chose the right mods for the price. Reason being for the **** stuff with dealers, have seen them look at a aftermarket piece....take lowering springs...void the suspention warranty. Would hate to have a intake on it and then have a unrelated engine issue...they blame it on the intake picking up FOD. Hey...it happens.
Old 08-29-2004, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by carcus
You have to understand I have a Camaro LS1 background, had to get rid of that for a nice family car. On the Camaro, there were no concerns about what I did as far as function and performance.
LOL - that's quite the change. The LS1 must have been fun to drive. But i think that in the Max you've found a good compromise and a nice blend of form and function.

Bob
Old 08-29-2004, 03:15 PM

LOL - that's quite the change. The LS1 must have been fun to drive. But i think that in the Max you've found a good compromise and a nice blend of form and function.

Bob
I do miss the LS1 engine, but love the room of the Maxima...and still get some decent performance for it's size. Miss my BMW 3 series convert that I trades in though, only for the fact of having a convert. Almost got a Murano instead of the Max. For some reason, just had to have a car instead of the SUV, and the Max for some reason to me had more room. I still have the bling of the BMW minus the handling, still have....well some of the power of the LS1, the Max was not supposed to be a muscle car, but so far have a happy medium between them.
Old 09-01-2004, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by jsmithsole
Welcome aboard, I'm happy with my Berk as well!!
I'll be interested to see some dynos....Bryan said he's working on getting some stats..
J-

Are you still around? I have another opportunity for you.

Bryan
Old 09-02-2004, 01:55 PM

Installed intake

Installed my Berk intake today and it sounds awesome when you get down on it. Bob you were right. At normal speeds you don't notice it but when you get on it, it makes the Max sound mean. Best money I have spent so far. Thanks Bryan. Oh...I can tell an increase in pick up as well.
What mods will be next? Anyone out there tried something else that we just can't live without? I am thinking of new exhaust system. I have seen on here many posts about different ones. I like the one that guy on here had that was custom. I may go to exhaust shop and talk to them.
Bryan do you have any thing new coming out for the Max?
Old 09-02-2004, 02:26 PM

Matt - glad you like it. Check this post for exhaust from Berk:

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....=1#post3172853

Bob
Old 09-04-2004, 09:35 PM
*moderator*

Originally Posted by cobymoby
J-

Are you still around? I have another opportunity for you.

Bryan

Yes, I've been on the east coast for a week or so...what do we need to do???

Quick Reply: Berk Technology Intake is in