6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Auto Sound Levelling

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2004, 09:39 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Auto Sound Levelling

Hey Guys -

I am new to the board and had a question. I tried to search but it didn't seem to work. Does anyone know what the Auto Sound Levelling feature is on the 04 Max's Bose stereo? From what I understand it has something to do with the volume of the radio automatically adjusting itself when you change speeds. However, I have not noticed any changes when driving. Also, does anyone know how the different levels affect the sound output.

Thanks for the help!
Old 08-22-2004, 10:05 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by jay4190
Hey Guys -

I am new to the board and had a question. I tried to search but it didn't seem to work. Does anyone know what the Auto Sound Levelling feature is on the 04 Max's Bose stereo? From what I understand it has something to do with the volume of the radio automatically adjusting itself when you change speeds. However, I have not noticed any changes when driving. Also, does anyone know how the different levels affect the sound output.

Thanks for the help!

As road noise increases, the volume of the stereo increases, you can set the sensitivity of the system through system options in the computer system to increase or decrease the sensitivity of the system affecting the point at which the volume increases based on the amount of road noise in the cabin.

As far as affecting sound quality, other than volume, no change.

Would suggest reviewing the feature in the Owner's manual and then change whatever it is that needs to be adjusted to please your particular wishis...
Old 08-22-2004, 11:32 AM
SuPeRmOd

Auto Sound Leveling? I know we have speed sensitive (radio?) ssr? You adjust it with the bass and display. Mine is set at low. I notice a slight change. Not sure what the different setting actually change. This is another feature not thoroughly detailed in the manual. Good question, I hope someone else has a good answer.

Oh yeah, we cannot search unless we donate. You'll have to manually search through each froum, page by page.

Welcome, nice color.
Old 08-22-2004, 12:03 PM
Moderator GT-R

Speed Sensitive Volume

2004 Owners manual page 4-24.

Under: AUDIO ****.
Press the AUDIO **** until you see SSV in the display. Turn the **** left or right to select Off, Low, Mid, High.

(Ignore the part about Type B. That does not apply to SSV, only applies to Dolby NR on cassette tapes.)
Old 08-23-2004, 06:57 AM

This is, btw, a thoughtful and useful feature I never saw until my first BMW, and which has now 'trickled down' to our Maximas. (I also had it on my Honda Gold Wing touring bike.)

It is a good idea, and keeps you from having to readjust the volue everytime you speed up or slow down.

And another btw ... the highly-touted Acura TL, with its space-age sound system, doesn't have it.

Mike
Old 08-23-2004, 06:57 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I've been messing with SSV since day one... never got it to work on mine. Or at least if it works, it doesn't do anything that I can actually notice...
Old 08-23-2004, 07:05 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Works on mine. I set the SSV sensitivity to high and notice an increase in volume at about 40 mph. I don't believe it has anything to do with the level of road noise but is rather triggered at a certain speed. I also suspect that the low, medium, high has to do with how much the volume changes when you reach 40 mph and doesn't affect the speed that triggers the change.
Old 08-23-2004, 07:58 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Rathmax
Works on mine. I set the SSV sensitivity to high and notice an increase in volume at about 40 mph. I don't believe it has anything to do with the level of road noise but is rather triggered at a certain speed. I also suspect that the low, medium, high has to do with how much the volume changes when you reach 40 mph and doesn't affect the speed that triggers the change.
Yeah, it's speed-sensitive, it doesn't care about the noise. I didn't know about the setting though, I thought it meant sensitivity as far as speed, not the amount of increase in volume.

Either way, I've been fighting with mine since day 1. I'm taking the car to the dealer this week to get it looked at, along with a couple of other things.
Old 08-23-2004, 01:48 PM

Mine works beautifully. Have it set to medium... effectively gets one tick louder every 10 MPH (very rough estimate). It's great when you go from back roads to highway a lot (which I do every day).

-Nate