6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Stillen Exhaust Story

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2004, 07:50 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Stillen Exhaust Story

So - I talked to Stillen this eve about their planned exhaust system for the '04 Max - Jay at Stillen told me that they have in fact changed their minds about a cat-back and are planning a rear section only system - and it sounded like they were going to offer both oval and dual tips on the canisters - lower sound level as the resonator will still be in the line, and all polished ss, and at a lower price than what was originally expected (original system was going to be around $700) so no telling what their back only solution will cost.

See the thread on the poll to see what Coby has planned - and make sure and vote on the tip choice.

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=333574

Stillen indicated that they did their own poll and that the oval tip was the winner - funny since there is not a single vote for ovals here...maybe they did the poll at Fresh Alloy...
Old 08-31-2004, 06:56 AM
andymax95

Even though its only a back section ( mufflers), those companies like stillen, cattman, still charge like 300 bucks just for a single rear section ( mufflers) . I can't see myself spending this much on mufflers espically if they are oval. That's why I haven't gotten the greddy cause that exhaust takes away from the back end of the max.

Old 08-31-2004, 07:22 AM

I agree - that's why I have been waiting for someone to come out with a lower profile muffler (not as tall as the greddy) with dual tips - double wall - all polished. I like seeing the bottom of the muffler, and the tips need to be dual so that you do not loose the design intent of the rear of the car, but I want it to sound more like a Z-car - not like a riced up Honda and I don't want the Ovals because they remind me of that.
Old 08-31-2004, 07:56 AM
andymax95

04SEelite:
All I have is the injen intake and it sounds great at higher rpms but I also was looking to get the tuned sound of the 350z/infiniti cars. So I went to the muffler shop and had them remove the resonator ( a larger triangular tube about 3' long) and replaced with a straight pipe. It almost sounds like a 350z but just has a little bit of drowning but kinda still sounds tuned between 1000-3000rpms.

Old 08-31-2004, 08:51 AM

Check out what CobyMoby is thinking about:

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=333574
Old 09-02-2004, 05:57 PM

I removed my resonator and i can say it does not sound like the Z. Ive been driving around with it removed for about 6 months. Only thing I noticed is the exhaust is a lil louder and when you rev it up it pops after you let off. I ordered the greddy so im hoping I like the way it sounds. Brians design should be very nice also.
Old 09-02-2004, 06:28 PM

Is it not just cheaper to go to a custom muffler shop, have them put it on the rack, custom bend some pipe, put some magnaflow mufflers on it and do it alot cheaper? Just being the devils advocate. Most muffler shops in your local area can reroute exhaust and bend pipes. Now, if you want stainless exhaust....personally, and this is just my opinion.....no one looks at a stainless pretty muffler. You see the tips from the rear.....I can understand nice tips for appearance. Also, talking about high dollar prices for nothing with a dyno....just going on sound will not make me pay high dollar for some exhaust system. Call me a hater if you want, and I know most people are dying for some mods for the 6 gen....but damn, some of these mods are pretty expensive for little if no gain. Hell, if you want some cheap sound that will scare the hell out of your neighbors, would be funny to hear it on a Maxima though, just get a exhaust cutout if sound is all you are looking for. Aftermarket HP gains from the manufactures always seem to be inflated. Look through my eyes though.....find a local custom muffler shop if you really want some mufflers, have them put it on the lift.....you will see what needs to be done. A name brand exhaust is not always all that. Just my 2 cents.

My motto:
Best bang for the buck...so far....exhaust options are out of the question...