6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Car Audio - Head Unit Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2004, 08:05 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Car Audio - Head Unit Replacement

Hi all! This is my first post as I am the recent owner of a new Maxima '04 SE. I am looking to replace my head unit with a Panasonic CQ-8400U CD/MP3/Aux In player. Also adding an amp for an enclosed subwoofer. My question is... what are the stock speakers rated at for wattage? Can I wire the highs and mids (front four speakers) to the Panasonic front output and the rear seat/deck speakers to the rear output? Has anyone replaced their Non-Bose head unit with an aftermarket one that has some insight into this? By the way, the CQ-8400U is a 60Wx4 output and has a sub-level out ,if that helps.

Thanks! Great forum by the way.. the one on taking your dash apart is awesome!
Old 09-05-2004, 09:41 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Done!

Hi all,

Having just performed the replacement yesterday, I thought I'd post my own reply to this question. Yes, the stock speakers are wired such that your front right is your front door and the tweeter in the curtain, same for the front left (of course). The rears are your rear passenger and the deck wired together, (L & R). Each of these four pairs have 4 ohms resistance which is perfect for most car audio head units on the market today. Replacement was a snap, having followed the directions in a "how to" post regarding removing the front dash panel. Wiring kits are available that keep you from having to cut your factory wires. I used one and a kit that replaces your panel so that an aftermarket stereo can be put in. I bought it at Autotoys.com. I put in a Panasonic CQ-8400U a Audiobahn 8000T amp and an Audiobahn ABP122T subwoofer enclosure which fits perfectly in the forward part of the trunk. The system is simply awesome now! I'll post pics of the install later on.
Old 09-05-2004, 09:51 AM
Moderator GT-R

Old 09-07-2004, 09:43 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Monkey, glad my "how to" guide for taking apart the dash worked for you! It's actually pretty easy, but looks daunting. I also have an Audiobahn amp running two Audiobahn 8" subs in the trunk, and it sounds GREAT!
Old 09-13-2004, 04:42 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by CAMonkey
Hi all! This is my first post as I am the recent owner of a new Maxima '04 SE. I am looking to replace my head unit with a Panasonic CQ-8400U CD/MP3/Aux In player. Also adding an amp for an enclosed subwoofer. My question is... what are the stock speakers rated at for wattage? Can I wire the highs and mids (front four speakers) to the Panasonic front output and the rear seat/deck speakers to the rear output? Has anyone replaced their Non-Bose head unit with an aftermarket one that has some insight into this? By the way, the CQ-8400U is a 60Wx4 output and has a sub-level out ,if that helps.

Thanks! Great forum by the way.. the one on taking your dash apart is awesome!
I know you answered your own post, but to answer in better detail....

The stock speakers are panasonic 20W @4 ohm speakers.

You will need to buy a dash kit to make an after market HU fit.
Metra makes one for our cars. Auto toys has one, but there are cheaper sites out there offering the Kit.

You will need to buy adapter plates for your speakers. 6.5" speakers will fit into the car doors ONLY with an adapter bracket. Those are available online too.

As CAmonkey mentioned, there are wiring kits available which you really should buy. You will need two, one for the HU and the other for the antena adapter.

IMHO i would keep the 6x9's in the rear b/c they are simply there for low end reinforcement. As CAmonkey mentioned, the 6x9's in the rear deck are tied together to your rear door speakers. You should buy some three ways for the rear if possible to help the currently lacking highend in the back seat.

One last note, go to the link to see how to retain the steering wheel controls. http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=336642