6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

SIRIUS Sportster in my 2004 Maxima SE

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2004, 02:35 PM

SIRIUS Sportster in my 2004 Maxima SE

I had to post this because I am extremely happy! I went and purchased the new Sirius Sportster for my new Maxima. I placed the antenna inside the car in the back window right below my passenger rear window. I then ran the antenna wire down the passenger side door and underneath the passenger seat right into the glove box. I then plugged the cigarette adapter in the glove box and snaked it through the hole which is available. It has an FM Modulator and WOW how cool did this mount go! You cant even tell I have Satellite radio in the car!
Old 09-08-2004, 02:49 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Where are the pictures of your sweet install???
Old 09-08-2004, 02:56 PM
SuPeRmOd

pics please. what's the model # and price?
Old 09-08-2004, 04:00 PM

I did something similar in my Elite with an XM Roady - here is a pic - installed the head unit and FM modulator in the rear console (no one ever sits back there anyway) and control the head unit with a remote from the front - snaked the antenna wire between the back console and rear seat, and mounted the antenna in the back window. Overall install time = 15 minutes, and you can't tell that the car has satellite radio from the outside, and the reception / sound is terriffic! Easy to do and by-passes the Nissan VIN number with XM when you do an OEM install...

What do you all think??
Old 09-08-2004, 04:40 PM

The bad thing is you cant change stations from the front seat ? Unless you leave the compartment open? I will have pics up soon.
Old 09-08-2004, 06:06 PM

I'm a one or two station guy - rarely change it - and when I do I have one of these....

Works great!
Old 09-08-2004, 06:19 PM

I have my XM Roady in the center front console. Tried the FM modulator.....alot of bass signal loss. Ended up using the casette adapter which worked alot better and less sound degredation. Easy to unplug the radio from my center console, I can still change channels when I want, and no permanent mount drilled in the car. I am real happy with the results.
Old 09-08-2004, 06:22 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 04SEelite
I did something similar in my Elite with an XM Roady - here is a pic - installed the head unit and FM modulator in the rear console (no one ever sits back there anyway) and control the head unit with a remote from the front - snaked the antenna wire between the back console and rear seat, and mounted the antenna in the back window. Overall install time = 15 minutes, and you can't tell that the car has satellite radio from the outside, and the reception / sound is terriffic! Easy to do and by-passes the Nissan VIN number with XM when you do an OEM install...

What do you all think??
Unfortunately, those of you w/ very dark tinted windows in the back, such as I, might have some misfortune when mounting the antenna in the rear deck. I attempted to mount my new TERK SIR-MINI antenna in the exact same spot as yours and kept getting "AQUIRING...NO SIGNAL" (OEM tuner), no matter which way I turned the car. But no soon as I exposed the antenna to some "fresh air", the signal came blasting in! (I will post pics of my antenna install in a separate thread). So, to those of you who have limo dark tint on your rear windows, pls let me know if you still have that "great" reception that everyone else is making claim to... CAVEAT: When I spoke to the SIRIUS technician over the phone, he too agreed that placing the antenna in the rear deck shouldn't have made that much of a difference. BUT, a few days before that, the GRUBBS INFINITI parts rep cautioned me that it really should go on the roof. Well, post any new findings...

Last thing... 04SEelite, what did you mean by, "Easy to do and by-passes the Nissan VIN number with XM when you do an OEM install..." from your post?
Old 09-08-2004, 07:36 PM

I was told by my dealer that the agreement that Nissan has with XM/Sirius is only valid for certain VIN numbers, and if you install an OEM unit in a car that is not pre-wired from Nissan for the service, XM/Sirius will not activate the head-unit with service due to the licensing agreement with Nissan. This said, I decided to go the XM head-unit-Roady direction to avoid any possible refusal for service. Plus, as my car was not pre-wired, I would have had to rip out the interior to run the wiring harness to mount the OEM unit in the trunk. Lots of $$$, and not much gain. Like I said, I don't do a lot of channel surfing with the XM radio, and pretty much leave it on one channel (or two).

One other note, the reception does not seem to degrade with the rear sunscreen up in my car. The XM techs told me that as long as the antenna has a 45-degree in all directions to the sky from the mounting location, that whether it is inside or outside should not make a lot of difference.

Mine seems to work fine where it is - still get the normal high-rise shadow from buildings, etc., but am sure that that would occur whether the antenna is inside or outside, and I like the fact that you can't see the antenna when you look at the car outside. Cleaner IMHO, and I am willing to live with the "sometimes lost signal from trees" because I like the look.

I am sure that outside is probably "ideal" but it's all in the eyes of the beholder I guess...
Old 09-08-2004, 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by davesipaq
I had to post this because I am extremely happy! I went and purchased the new Sirius Sportster for my new Maxima. I placed the antenna inside the car in the back window right below my passenger rear window. I then ran the antenna wire down the passenger side door and underneath the passenger seat right into the glove box. I then plugged the cigarette adapter in the glove box and snaked it through the hole which is available. It has an FM Modulator and WOW how cool did this mount go! You cant even tell I have Satellite radio in the car!
The SIRIUS Sportster is efinitely the latest and greatest unit. I have a factory Sirius unit in the 04, but have the Sportster in my Titan. Great unit, loaded with features and affordable. Glad I got it. Plus I am a huge football fan (NFL and College)

As far as the antenna goes, I have mine on the roof. Due to the orbits of the SIRIUS satellites, you are better off having it on top. No issues what so ever with either vehicle. My 2 cents on that issue.
Old 09-08-2004, 09:32 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by mikey0120
The SIRIUS Sportster is efinitely the latest and greatest unit. I have a factory Sirius unit in the 04, but have the Sportster in my Titan. Great unit, loaded with features and affordable. Glad I got it. Plus I am a huge football fan (NFL and College)

As far as the antenna goes, I have mine on the roof. Due to the orbits of the SIRIUS satellites, you are better off having it on top. No issues what so ever with either vehicle. My 2 cents on that issue.
You aren't lying! I believe it's gotta be the SIRIUS satellite orbits that effect us who try and put our SIRIUS antenna on the inside...possibly due to lower orbits, decreasing the angle of signal transmission... But I gotta admit. Their programming is exceptional, otherwise!

Any XM subscribers like to chime in? Are XM users exclusively able to put their antennas inside w/ little/no signal loss? Are there any SIRIUS users out there who have their antennas installed inside w/ little/no signal loss? INQUIRING MINDS WANT TO KNOW!!!
Old 09-08-2004, 09:40 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 04SEelite
I was told by my dealer that the agreement that Nissan has with XM/Sirius is only valid for certain VIN numbers, and if you install an OEM unit in a car that is not pre-wired from Nissan for the service, XM/Sirius will not activate the head-unit with service due to the licensing agreement with Nissan. This said, I decided to go the XM head-unit-Roady direction to avoid any possible refusal for service. Plus, as my car was not pre-wired, I would have had to rip out the interior to run the wiring harness to mount the OEM unit in the trunk. Lots of $$$, and not much gain. Like I said, I don't do a lot of channel surfing with the XM radio, and pretty much leave it on one channel (or two).

One other note, the reception does not seem to degrade with the rear sunscreen up in my car. The XM techs told me that as long as the antenna has a 45-degree in all directions to the sky from the mounting location, that whether it is inside or outside should not make a lot of difference.

Mine seems to work fine where it is - still get the normal high-rise shadow from buildings, etc., but am sure that that would occur whether the antenna is inside or outside, and I like the fact that you can't see the antenna when you look at the car outside. Cleaner IMHO, and I am willing to live with the "sometimes lost signal from trees" because I like the look.

I am sure that outside is probably "ideal" but it's all in the eyes of the beholder I guess...
Man, that's totally unacceptable! I thought that if you didn't have the pre-wire, all you had to worry about was getting that done. Had no idea there was a licensing issue that would prohibit early produced MAXs from being activated via SIRIUS or XM using the OEM tuner. So the only other option is to go "universal". That sucks! I would be totally ****ed!
Old 09-09-2004, 04:50 AM

It wasn't until the modulated option became available that I had an affordable and "clean" install option (no cords and casettes dangling from the dash) - liked the way it worked and looked so well, that I bought a Roady2 with the built in modulator and installed it in my wife's 2003 Altima SE - she loves it too, and the antenna is on the inside with no issues...could be the Sirius sats are a bit different angle, but both of our XM's are great!
Old 09-09-2004, 06:25 AM

Originally Posted by hofb99
Man, that's totally unacceptable! I thought that if you didn't have the pre-wire, all you had to worry about was getting that done. Had no idea there was a licensing issue that would prohibit early produced MAXs from being activated via SIRIUS or XM using the OEM tuner. So the only other option is to go "universal". That sucks! I would be totally ****ed!
I could be wrong, but I believe the licensing agreement tied to the VIN is for the 2 months of free service you get with factory installation. I've talked to lots of people who weren't pre-wired and were able to activate with no prob. Sirius is so intent on catching up to the XM subscriber base, they'd activate anything you call them with a SN for.
Old 09-09-2004, 07:51 AM

The licensing agreement and VIN correlation (in regards to activation requirement) is a bunch of crap. When you call to activate, they don't ask your vehicle vin. All they want is the ID number of your receiver, so as to activate your specific unit.

My tint is 20% in the rear and I had the same problem as HOFB99 when installing my XM-mini on the rear deck. The only way I got a decent signal was when travling in a northerly direction. Going south, it cut out. Ended up putting it on the roof in the normal spot and crystal clear ever since.
Old 09-09-2004, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by Spunko
My tint is 20% in the rear and I had the same problem as HOFB99 when installing my XM-mini on the rear deck. The only way I got a decent signal was when travling in a northerly direction. Going south, it cut out. Ended up putting it on the roof in the normal spot and crystal clear ever since.

Also remember folks, XM utilizes geostationary (fixed) satellites, while Sirius birds criss-cross each other and are always on the move. I'm reminded of this when I go through the drive through at my bank every day. Many times, my Sirius (roof mount from factory) will work fine under the 15' high roof of the drivethrough, yet sometimes the signal is killed while I'm under there. All depends on where the sats are at the time! This factor would cause the rear deck mount to work more often with Sirius I'd think.