6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

steering wheel radio remote Q?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2004, 09:24 PM

steering wheel radio remote Q?

is there any way that you can make an after market stereo work with the stock steering wheel remote.i believe that i have seen some one come out for some sort of a mod.i just dont remember who.
Old 09-12-2004, 05:09 PM
*moderator*

PAC hasn't come out with an adapter that will work for our cars yet, they actually wanted to use my car as a ginuea pig but I haven't had the time to do it...if anybody knows of anybody else who already makes one please advise!!!!
Old 09-12-2004, 06:00 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I installed the PAC SWI-X, it works awesome. I think cobymoby (bryan@berktechnology.com) may have them on sale. Otherwise take a look at autotoys.

Here is how the SWI-X works:
You will have to program the SWI-X to learn your remote control functions. The SWI-X converts the electrical signal to an IR signal.

Our steering wheels have four buttons(volume, mode, power, seek) so you will have to choose from the HU remote control which four options you want to use. You may want to consider the HU based on the remote. Technically there are six options, but I consider volume up/down as one and seek up/down as one as well.

Power-Some remotes have a power button others allow you to choose the mode you want and it turns on the HU to that mode. That is how my pioneer is set up; I chose to use the Tuner button to power on/off the HU.

Mode- Most remotes have seperate buttons for each mode. This means you won't be able to switch between Tuner A,B,C->CD->Tape with your new HU. I chose to make the mode button switch between my FM/AM preset modes.

Volume-Obviously you will probably want to ratain the volume up/down buttons.

Seek- Currently the seek button allows us to move between radio presets, if held up/down it will seek for the radio. It will move track up/down in CD mode. Never used the tape so I don't know what it will do there.
I chose to use the seek button for radio presets.

So, as you see you will loose some functionality, but it works well. There is some delay b/c the SWI-X converts the electrical signal to an IR signal as i mentioned above. Overall, I am very happy with the SWI-X and I highly recomend it!

PM if you have other questions.

Here is the link to Pacific Accessory Corporation for programming and installing the SWI-X:
http://www.pac-audio.com/swixprogram...ehicles&ID=299
http://www.pac-audio.com/
Old 09-12-2004, 08:17 PM
*moderator*

I guess that answers that, my installer must have missed something somewhere...
Thanks!!!
Old 09-13-2004, 12:00 AM

thanks for the info.......now......i have another question......hey guys i just wanted to ask..for those of you that instaled after market radios in their ride.......did your air bag light keep flashing after words.i just replaced the radio in my armada and noww my air bag light keeps flashing.i disconected the battery over night to try to resset the computer but that did'nt do anything.what should i do?
Old 09-13-2004, 02:36 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by max'n
thanks for the info.......now......i have another question......hey guys i just wanted to ask..for those of you that instaled after market radios in their ride.......did your air bag light keep flashing after words.i just replaced the radio in my armada and noww my air bag light keeps flashing.i disconected the battery over night to try to resset the computer but that did'nt do anything.what should i do?
Whoever did the install screwed up. Take it to the the dealer, they should be able to fix it.
Old 09-13-2004, 03:10 PM

do you think they'll charge me.i was told that the cunputer had to be reseted because of a sensor.
Old 09-14-2004, 05:45 AM

If you do get charged, send the bill to the installers and demand they pay the bill. They should know WTF they are doing. That is why they are "professional" installers. Why else would you take the car to them? You want someone else to be liable if something breaks!!!

Usually the dealership should be cool about resetting the computer. It takes a few minutes to do. They should not charge you for something that simple. It may be that something indeed is wrong, but i doubt that.

Do you have a sub and an amp in the car? Did you do anything under the passenger seat? The SRS cables are under the passenger seat and the installers may have bumped the wires while running the wires back to the trunnk.
Old 09-14-2004, 11:04 PM

i have an am under my seat but it does nt seen to be bumping any cables.well im going to the shop tomorrow so ill see what happens.
Old 09-15-2004, 05:06 AM

There are two possibilities
A) they bumped the wire under the passenger seat. Or did something else to the yellow SRS wire under the seat
B) they bumped, or did something, to the airbag sensor which is located in the ceter console by the gear shifter.

Those are the two areas I can think the shop may have messed something up.
Old 09-16-2004, 01:38 PM

well i found out the problem.they did not disconect the battery before messing with the system .that set the air bag light off.i took it to the dealer and they told me what caused the problem.i have a buddy that works in the dealer and he said that they would nt charged me.however......................i insisted that they did since the guy at the shop sid that if they charged me sid that they would reinburse me.but....what he did 'nt know was that it was going to be 90 bucks!!! he thought that it would be around 10-15 bucks.so it felt good to give him me receipt and tell him to pay up since it was their f*ck up.