6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

New Struts for 04

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2004, 09:23 AM

New Struts for 04

Went to the dealership this weekend to replace my struts. Service Manager said to call be next week. Nissan should be coming out with new redesigned front struts. It's the same dealership from Freehold NJ that fixed my shimmy. I'm also getting the cold start transmission problem fixed. Looked into getting the 05 trim to replace my 04 trim under warrenty. But with the extra 12V hole i may not do it. But the new trim looks better then the 04's trim.
Old 09-13-2004, 09:31 AM
SuPeRmOd

sounds great. you cound get a small nissan emblem or sticker to cover the hole. when was your car made or the start of VIN? the cold start TSB says it only applies to older vins before mine. but i have it too, not that bad though.
Old 09-13-2004, 10:00 AM

I got mine in September of 03. It was probably made a few months prior. Since the car is in the shop I'll have them fixed the cold start. Good call on the Nissan or Maxima emblem. Maybe I'll do that. I noticed too that the new trim in on the doors but I won't get the shiney door handles.
Old 09-13-2004, 10:46 AM

Does anyone know about STILLEN Front Strut Tower Brace for about $150.00. Is is worth it. They also have the rear sway bar. Your opinion is greatly appreicated.
Old 09-13-2004, 12:57 PM

vin #

what vin number is the ones with the problem because mine does that as well?
Old 09-13-2004, 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by EdRomo86
what vin number is the ones with the problem because mine does that as well?

The TSB says the Maxima's built before November 03.
Old 09-13-2004, 01:37 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I don't think it matters what the VIN is for this problem. My car was made 03/04 and my struts went bad @1600 mi. It was covered under warranty. 3yrs/36k mi covers this problem! If they won't cover a bad strut under the TSB they better cover it under the warranty!

From what I have been told there is a national recall on the struts, but I have yet to see this recall info. I have just heard the dealer telling people about it when I am getting other stuff worked on!
Old 09-13-2004, 02:01 PM

Just picked my Max up from the dealer...had to have the passanger from strut replaced. I asked the service manager about the struts being redesigned and he said that Nissan has not told him anything about them being redesigned.

Maxidriver,

Who is the service manager that you spoke to about the struts...I would like to call him.

msoemax,

Called 800-Nissan1 and was told that there is no recall on the struts.

Thanks
Chris
Old 09-13-2004, 02:11 PM

With regards to adding the 05 trim.....the extra 12V hole isn't really a big issue. Just have it wired in parallel with the existing one at the side.
Old 09-13-2004, 02:28 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Maxidriver
Went to the dealership this weekend to replace my struts. Service Manager said to call be next week. Nissan should be coming out with new redesigned front struts. It's the same dealership from Freehold NJ that fixed my shimmy. I'm also getting the cold start transmission problem fixed. Looked into getting the 05 trim to replace my 04 trim under warrenty. But with the extra 12V hole i may not do it. But the new trim looks better then the 04's trim.
Is the new trim REALLY that much better than the 04s? From the pics, it really doesn't look all that much more appealing. I like my trim...take good care of it...REAL **** w/ the wife and kids when they ride (which is VERY RARELY!)... She's gotten so use to me barking about little nick-nack stuff here and there w/ the MAX. Good thing she has her own ride though (SUV--"the family hauler"--w/ DVD/TV/Gamecube/SAT!)...it would be next to impossible to take care of it like I'd want to...
Old 09-13-2004, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by hofb99
Is the new trim REALLY that much better than the 04s? From the pics, it really doesn't look all that much more appealing. I like my trim...take good care of it...REAL **** w/ the wife and kids when they ride (which is VERY RARELY!)... She's gotten so use to me barking about little nick-nack stuff here and there w/ the MAX. Good thing she has her own ride though (SUV--"the family hauler"--w/ DVD/TV/Gamecube/SAT!)...it would be next to impossible to take care of it like I'd want to...
I was at the dealer this weekend and saw the new trim in person. Looks a tad better and a bit more scratch resistant, but nothing really special. By touching it I imagine it will scratch alot less. Seems kinda darker to me. If you want to add a seperate outlet for a cig plug, I bet with just a dremmel tool you can add one to what you have right now pretty cheap. I do like the new airbag sensor on the 05 though and the traction control. Other than that, not much new to me. Wonder what 06 model year has in store though. Personally, the aluminum look trim, when the sun hits it, REALLY hurts my eyes and distracts me when driving, the glare off the sun near the shifter, anyone else know what I mean? Now, when I find a nice REAL silver carbon fiber interior kit.....that is when I will jump and spend my money. No scratches then.

I found one site that makes a interior kit for the MAX in about everything....not cheap though for the real stuff, but might give you guys some options.

http://www.wowtrim.com/index.asp?Pag...OD&ProdID=7658
Old 09-14-2004, 05:41 AM

Originally Posted by 95Max
Just picked my Max up from the dealer...had to have the passanger from strut replaced. I asked the service manager about the struts being redesigned and he said that Nissan has not told him anything about them being redesigned.

Maxidriver,

Who is the service manager that you spoke to about the struts...I would like to call him.

msoemax,

Called 800-Nissan1 and was told that there is no recall on the struts.

Thanks
Chris

His name is Walt from DCH Freehold Nissan in Freehold NJ.
Old 09-14-2004, 06:17 AM

Originally Posted by Maxidriver
His name is Walt from DCH Freehold Nissan in Freehold NJ.
Thanks....Interesting that Nissan doesn't provide all dealers with info....oh well
Old 09-14-2004, 07:11 AM
SuPeRmOd

Originally Posted by msoemax
I don't think it matters what the VIN is for this problem. My car was made 03/04 and my struts went bad @1600 mi. It was covered under warranty. 3yrs/36k mi covers this problem! If they won't cover a bad strut under the TSB they better cover it under the warranty!
the vin matters for cold start shift tsb. of course struts are warranty.

where did you see the front strut bar from Stillen for the 04? I debated the rear sway, but decided not to. i'd like less roll, but don't want it too stiff. A lot that have it love it though.
Old 09-14-2004, 07:15 AM
SuPeRmOd

Originally Posted by carcus

I found one site that makes a interior kit for the MAX in about everything....not cheap though for the real stuff, but might give you guys some options.

http://www.wowtrim.com/index.asp?Pag...OD&ProdID=7658
great find. something else for down the road if i ever get ahead of these payments and need to replace scrated interior. thanks
Old 09-14-2004, 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by Maxima80
the vin matters for cold start shift tsb. of course struts are warranty.

where did you see the front strut bar from Stillen for the 04? I debated the rear sway, but decided not to. i'd like less roll, but don't want it too stiff. A lot that have it love it though.

Here is the website for many Stillen parts for the 04 Maxima.
http://www.stillen.com/sportscars_pr...cat=174&dsbp=1
Old 09-14-2004, 08:48 AM

whats the vin for the tranny cold start.
Old 09-14-2004, 04:08 PM

What is the TSB # for the struts?
Old 09-14-2004, 09:57 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

New to the site.. Looking for info on the Front Strut situation: I have had 5 front struts replaced in my 04 Maxima. 3 on the passenger side and 2 on the drivers side. It starts out as a smaall rattle then progresses from there. I have talked to the dealers and Nissan North America, both admit they are replacing bad struts with bad struts. Nissan North America said they are currently working on a tech bulletin and a fix, but would not elaborate any more... service dept's have been great, sometimes I wait while the work is done,usually less then an hour.
No other complaints, love the car.

ps...... anybody switch to synthetic oil yet?
thanks for listening, RichB
Old 09-14-2004, 11:11 PM

Welcome aboard, RichhB.

There has been lots of discussion here about when to switch to synthetic. A few made the switch right off. But the consensus seems to be that the switch should not be made before 10K, and the ideal time may be around 20K.

This allows all the moving components in the engine to 'adjust' to each other. Seems the synthetic oil prevents the engine parts from adjusting/breaking in properly.

I usually switch between 50K and 70K, but there is certainly nothing wrong with switching at 20K.
Old 09-15-2004, 01:28 PM

Struts

Yes, I too was told the same thing by my dealer here in Montreal....new struts design in '05 and should be out soon.

Had mine replaced 2 times and need new ones already and waiting as per my dealers recommendation.

Some guy at Freshalloy was told by his dealer that there is going to be a national recall on the shocks.

We shall see.