6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

SAT Radio

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2004, 07:25 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

SAT Radio

My 04 Max has the option to upgrade to a SAT radio. How can i do it myself.
A salesperson at Circut City told me i have to to back to the dealer and have them install the antenne and all?

Cant i do it my self?

Thanks
Old 09-20-2004, 09:00 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I ended up installing a Sirius tuner/kit myself in my 04 SE.

I went through Nissan to buy the kit though- it's pricey to get their tuner but I wanted to use the factory items in my car in order to use the factory radio to control it. I used an after-market antenna though (Terk makes one, which is magnetic, and has a lower profile that worked pretty well in my car) and I have it inside the car on the rear deck/shelf rather than outside.

It wasn't too hard to put the equipment in. Grubbs Infiniti in TX sells the kits cheaper than local dealers might- if you buy it online. I think the web site was www.grubbsinfiniti.com. Their kit has installation instructions, but I chose not to follow the suggested instructions for the antenna installation and instead ended up running the wiring inside the car (they suggest cutting in a few spots in the trunk area- something I didn't want to do; instead I found a way to run the wiring through the rear seats and into the trunk area, where the tuner was wired up).

Does your car have the pre-wiring for satellite? You can check by looking at the door jamb of the driver's door- most of the pre-wired cars had a sticker indicating the existence of factory pre-wiring for the satellite equipment.

If you have any questions give me a shout at jtangalos@comcast.net
Old 09-20-2004, 10:03 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Cool thanks
Old 09-21-2004, 07:46 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Our cars have Clarion head units correct? I got a catalogue the other day that had a Clarion Sirius receiver designed for Clarion head units for $49. Shouldn't that work with the Clarion head unit in the Max? Or is the Max unit a special design that won't work with Clarion after market stuff?
Old 09-21-2004, 03:47 PM

From one of the sources:

We are now offering a special discounted price to all FA customers on the OEM Nissan/Infiniti Satellite Radio Kit for all current model Nissan & Infiniti vehicles. Our new special price is $ 265.99 when you use this months promotional discount of RLX4-8SV0RY

If you where ever thinking about satellite Radio NOW is the time to take advantage of this special offer. This offer applies to either the XM or Sirius receiver. Antenna is not included. Many aftermarket antenna's are now available.

Only at www.grubbsperformance.com

Grubbs Performance Parts
'The Largest Infiniti Accessory Dealer in the U.S'

--------------------
Todd Carlson
Grubbs Infiniti
Please do not PM me but send e-mail to tcarlson@grubbs.com
Old 09-21-2004, 04:23 PM

Todd and members of Maxima.org, I am looking into purchasing this unit from Grubbs but wanted to see if any of you have some pics of your install? I dont want to hard mount the antenna and place it in the rear window which my sportster is doing just fine. My car says its prewired and is it as easy as just connecting a few cables?
Old 09-21-2004, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by davesipaq
Todd and members of Maxima.org, I am looking into purchasing this unit from Grubbs but wanted to see if any of you have some pics of your install? I dont want to hard mount the antenna and place it in the rear window which my sportster is doing just fine. My car says its prewired and is it as easy as just connecting a few cables?
http://g-owners.com/article_read.asp?id=19

This link should help you out. Since you are prewired like me, you should be able to skip most of the steps. Open the trunk, plug in the sat receiver, then plug in the antenna, lay the antenna on the tray behind the rear seats. Right now I have 2 XM radios, A Roady and a SkiFi with the boom box. I have the Roady in the car and the SkiFi in the house. Would be nice to get the ease of everything just plug and play in the car but I am at a catch 22 now.

Shot of the sat receiver drilled into the trunk behind the seat....

Your prewired harness from your radio that should be tucked under the cover now plugged into the receiver you just screwed in with sheet metal screws...

Antenna laying on the back shelf.....it gets good reception, hell, my Roady micro antenna works great.

Antenna plugged into the antenna plug in spot...

Hope this helps, really just folding down your seats, mounting the receiver in your trunk, taking the wire you allready have that is hidden under the cover and plugging it in, then, throwing your antenna on the back shelf, hide the wires, put the cover back on, call XM or Sirius and activate the sucker. Hope this helps.

For people with no Sat prewiring....it is a bit more in detail.
Old 09-21-2004, 05:05 PM

Wow that was quick and exactly what i wanted to know. So all you had to do is connect the antenna and the harness and it was done? No programming needed on the head unit? It automatically detected the unit?
Old 09-21-2004, 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by davesipaq
Wow that was quick and exactly what i wanted to know. So all you had to do is connect the antenna and the harness and it was done? No programming needed on the head unit? It automatically detected the unit?
I have not done it myself, but the head unit is set up if you are prewired. Just a few plugs, a few sheet metal screws, and away you go. Hopefully the mods will make this a sticky cause I am sure others that are prewired want to save themselves a few hundred bucks for the dealer to remove the panel, screw in a few screws and plug in 2 plugs. If you get nervous, any car stereo shop can hook you up pretty cheap I imagine. These are not my pics and would love to give credit to the guy who posted these off his G35 to help others. Just returning the favor.
Old 09-21-2004, 05:50 PM

LOL ... It looks pretty easy.. Too Easy.. I appreciate your quick responses and help!!!
Old 09-21-2004, 06:05 PM

Installation instructions at http://secure.grubbs.com/sat_install/maxima.pdf
Old 09-21-2004, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by RayL
Good detailed stuff, thanks RayL....we need to add this to a sticky.
Old 09-21-2004, 07:40 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

sorry guys, I had that URL wrong on my posting...
:-)

Grubbs was great with their service when I got my tuner/ install kit from them

the installation was pretty painless too- the hardest thing was drilling those mounting holes... no sweat to that either