6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.
View Poll Results: Did your struts go bad?
Yes, Front Left replaced no new problems
6.06%
Yes, Front Right replaced no new problems
14.72%
Yes, Rear Left replaced no new problems
0%
Yes, Rear Right replaced no new problems
0.87%
Yes, Both Front Replaced no new problems
19.05%
Yes, All 4 replaced no new problems
2.60%
Yes, Had one/some/all replaced and need new ones
12.12%
Yes, Had one/some/all replaced and waiting for redesign
4.33%
No, no problems at all (maybe wait to vote?!)
27.71%
I don't know (wait to vote then?!)
12.55%
Voters: 231. You may not vote on this poll

Bad Strut Poll

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2004, 01:32 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

If Nissan dealers are replacing the defective struts on a case-by-case basis, what are you concerned about ?

Bob
Old 10-20-2004, 12:28 PM

Getting my front left strut replaced on 25th of this month. Had my Skyview replaced last week. Shimmy was suppose to be fixed last week also but it's still there but that's another story.
Old 10-20-2004, 02:02 PM

Man, this is getting me upset...alittle.

You see, I went LemonLaw on VW for their:
a) arrogance at the dealership about problems
b) defective coil packs (1.8T motor)
c) installing coilpacks from "lot" cars due to parts shortage
d) "lot" car coil packs were just as bad and didn't help VW track defects
e) car was disabled 4 times due to coil pack failure (yes, all 4 went, some a month apart and some up to 6 months) and of those times, 2x stranded on NJ Turnpike and Rte1. 'Are you in any danger?' asked the VW roadside assistant<--define danger?
f) headlight went out at 1500 miles. Funny, after that, 10 other Passat's I had seen had same light out. Same year car. Irony?

It was a Passat. It was only VW still made in Germany (as opposed to Jetta, Golf, Beetle..assembled in Mexico) and I thought I wouldn't have to worry about issues.

I swore never again to buy a VW product. However, I do like Audi A3, S4 and A6 (A8 would be nice...S8 even nicer..) and they are practically one in the same company. But a friend Service Writer at Audi said, "You want performance and great ride, go German. You want reliability and cheap (cost) go Japanese." You get what you pay for...and then some! IMHO.

Old 10-20-2004, 04:03 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by SilverBelle04
If Nissan dealers are replacing the defective struts on a case-by-case basis, what are you concerned about ?

Bob
I have no concern that they honor the warranty. My problem is they are fixing SH*T struts with SH*T struts while claiming there is a fix. Prove to me,us, that there is a re-designed strut in the strut kit.

The dealers don't know that there is a fix in the struts (Or they play it off that way). The dealer says that nothing has been released to the delears.

The strut kit number they use to order the strut kit remains the same. Nissan says the kit now has the updated strut. I have no problem retaining the kit number so that a new number doesn't have to be introduced, but let us know that there is a fix. That's what a TSB is supposed to do!!! From speaking with the Service Manager, who may I add is awesome, and speaking with Nissan I get two different stories.

The service tech's are the ones who see these day in day out and they order the "new" kit and the struts still fail. Nissan will not demonstrate how they have fixed the issue. They just claim to have fixed it. This is my concern.
Old 10-20-2004, 07:13 PM

Well I just heard from my friend tonight -- he got his '04 SE Max a week after I got my SL -- and one of his struts "blew up" from what he says. He took it to the dealer today in Queens and they told him (I don't know how true this is) that:

* Nissan knows that there's a problem
* If you show up and tell them that there's something going on with the struts, they'll replace them on the spot under warranty
* The new struts are "not ready", so you get stuck with Monroes (IIRC) when you get them repaired
* Eventually you'll have to go back and get the "official" replacement when the dealers get them

Not sure how much factual info the dealer had about the whole thing, but it freaked me out when I heard him talking about struts after all I've read about it...

I'm closing on 6k miles now and (*knocks on wood*) still no problems.
Old 10-22-2004, 06:09 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

At 1700 miles had my front left strut replaced.
Old 10-22-2004, 06:39 AM

If the strut is a different design, I won't be happy knowing I've got one new odd ball strut in the mix. I'd want all 4 replaced. Besides, i'm convinced that the struts (old ones) are all bound to break before warranty is up.

BTW: My strut blew at 4000k miles. :-(
Old 10-22-2004, 11:00 PM

Wow, I guess the 6th gen struts are like the Altima's struts.. I've had 6 struts replaced in 2 yrs so far and 3 of them were changed within 4 months...
Old 10-25-2004, 09:34 PM

Here's an issue with the car after the struts are replaced-the alignment. I put a very detailed answer as to why the car needs to be re-aligned after they work on the struts.

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=348655
Old 10-27-2004, 11:57 AM

I have some good news for the ORG. I finally got through to Someone High up at Nissan. We spoke for 15-20 min regarding the whole strut issue. From what was explained to me Nissan has a new design that was released last week. They have been testing out the new strut on test vehicles at Nissan and in the field. I was told that this new strut will be put on my car when it arrives at the dealership later this week, or next week. It was explained to me that the current workaround for the original defective struts was, OBVIOUSLY, not a working solution.

I have asked repeatedly:

1)What was wrong with the original struts, Why did they fail and how is the re-work going to be better? Because it obviously was just as bad as the first struts.
2)What was wrong with the above solution, why did the problem happen again, How has this newest strut fixed the old problem.
3)What is the new part number for the struts released last week?

To these questions I have been told "I don't know, engineering would have to answer that." So I asked "is there a way for me or you to relay my questions to engineering?" I was told that my questions will be looked into.

So, before we all going to the dealer kicking and screaming that we finally have a new part number...it hasn't been released yet! I guess I barked up the right tree for them to send the newest revision. I was told that Nissan is working on building up a stockpile of the new parts before they release the new part number

I will try my best to find out what the new part number is and will keep the ORG informed. I imagine it will be a month before we get public wind of the latest struts. So for those with bad struts that have been replaced with bad struts I recomend taking three actions. Call up Nissan and demand to speak to who ever is highest up the ladder there. Email some of the head honchos at Nissan...someone will get back to you in a few days...Ask your dealer to call up and try to get you the latest parts. Worst case- You wait for another month, my guess, until there are enough parts to go around.

This problem seems large enough that Nissan cares to do this the right way this time around so that there are enough parts out there to cover the many owners. All I can say is be patient...Bark loud..and follow up on everything you do with thank you letters.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Update 10/29/04
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
So I had to go into the dealer to take apart my speakers so they could work on the door. I was talking to the tech about the struts. He said that he hasn't seen a change in the "workaround" struts that the dealers have been ordering. He also brought up a really good point. If Nissan had a fix out there would be a TSB. As we all know by now there has been no TSB issued regarding the struts.

So, Nissan has been claiming their re-worked struts are still bad. If this strut did exist there should be a TSB. To me it appears as though Nissan is totally covering their A$$ and nothing has been done.
Old 10-29-2004, 01:16 PM

I am sending another email to Fred Standish. If you wish to participate in this email please PM me your name so that I can include this. I will post a link to the email once I finish writing it. Someone needs to take a stand and I promised to do it so please join me in this quest.
I will get the email posted this weekend.
Old 10-29-2004, 05:12 PM

nissan's top dogs will not answer any emails
thanks paul
Old 10-29-2004, 10:32 PM

I will do the best I can. I will become Andy Dufrain if I have to. I will send two emails a day if I have to. I will send my letter certified too. I am also looking into an auto watch dog group. Consumer reports will be my starting point.
Old 10-29-2004, 10:45 PM
SuPeRmOd

Originally Posted by msoemax
I will do the best I can. I will become Andy Dufrain if I have to. I will send two emails a day if I have to. I will send my letter certified too. I am also looking into an auto watch dog group. Consumer reports will be my starting point.
they're getting them. they are just preparing their response. I got my call a few weeks after my inquiries. about the struts, he just told me the new one is finished, and the bad ones are not widespead enough to require recall. they are just replacing the ones that go.

we need a strong point about safety to get them moving more. i also brought up the RSAs. he said they have no info on them. (guess that's b/c they automatically refer you to Goodyear and don't deal with them) so i just mentioned that many feel they could go with something better.
Old 11-01-2004, 08:00 PM

Here is the link to my letter. I feel that it is not done, and I am missing something. Please take the time to look at it and point out where I need to make changes.
Old 11-02-2004, 12:19 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Right Side Bad Strut

I just bought a 2004 Maxima in August. I previously owned a 1993 Maxima which I owned for 10 Years. Just yuesterday November 1st I toke the 2004 in for oil change and clacking noise on the right side. I had replaced struts on my 1993 so when I heard the noise that is what came to mind first but I dismissed it because I felt that the car was too new to have that problem.

But I was wrong it is the struts and the part is on back order until next week so I will have to bring it in again.

I called Nissan today to make a formal complaint since I don't know if the will be other problems. I was told that they have no record of this type of problem on the 2004 Maxima. At the dealer, they said that they had already replace struts on other 2004's. Maybe we all need to call Nissan so that the complaints are recorded.

Speed Raca
Old 11-03-2004, 10:23 AM

Here is the link to my letter. I feel that it is not done, and I am missing something. Please take the time to look at it and point out where I need to make changes.
I have some suggestions, but I'll have to wait until after work is over to really expand on them. Also, is this in reply to another letter or communication? It would be helpful to see this also (if possible).

Thanks!
Old 11-03-2004, 01:06 PM

I sent a letter to Fred Standish before asking for answers to the same questions in this letter. This letter is worded better and I have heard back from corporate nissan a few times since too. I figure fred forwarded my message to Perry
Old 11-10-2004, 11:48 AM

There are no new part numbers for new struts as it turns out. They are still using the old SH*T struts on the 04's. I don't know what is going on with the 05's. I am working on getting to the bottom of this entire problem. Twice replaced same strut kit. same defective strut kits!!!!

BTW Kit part number is... 54302-7y425 Strut kit and 54303-7y425 Strut kit.
I cannot find the OEM strut part number. Anyone out there know that? I can't find it in my Service Manual (no not the one that came with the car...the actual service manual).

Does anyone know who else to call aside from 1800-NISSAN1? I will search through the org about people to call at Nissan. I will make this happen...LOL or do the best I can to get the answers we all deserve. I may look into a lawyer!

For those who have had their struts replaced more than once-Please Look at your paper work and post your part number that is the Strut Kit. See if they are the same in other areas.

So the updated strut part number is the following:
R-54302-7y426
L-54303-7y426
They are being installed tomorrow. I will let you know how it all goes. For those who replaced the struts check your paperwork and see what the kit # was. I want to know if this number is truely the new strut kit #.
Old 11-11-2004, 10:50 AM

Actually it would be good to know if the early O5's have the same problem. I heard that this is only being resolved on the November production of the 05 Max and as yet there is no new strut/shock part number available to either the US or Canadian dealer parts network.
Old 11-11-2004, 04:13 PM

Msoemax, I will look at the letter tonight and make the appropriate grammatical and spelling corrections and send it back.
Old 11-12-2004, 04:38 AM

So the updated strut part number is the following:
R-54302-7y426
L-54303-7y426
They are being installed tomorrow. I will let you know how it all goes. For those who replaced the struts check your paperwork and see what the kit # was. I want to know if this number is truely the new strut kit #.
Looks like you're getting a new redesigned one. My right one was replaced on October 8, 2004. The part number was: R-54302-7y425

The last digit is different.

Bob
Old 11-12-2004, 07:16 AM

Hi SilverBelle04,

I'm not so sure that the 05's have the problem solved. I believe that only the 05's that are manufactured in the November production run will have this issue resolved. I think that my 2 week old 05 already has a problem. I have 700 kms. on her now. I drove over a road that had train tracks crossing it albeit very slowly and carefuly, however I think I hear what I believe (from experience with my old 04) the right front shock starting to make some noise over certain bumps on rough roads, which is about eighty percent of all road surfaces in the province of Quebec! Now I am not so sure about this because I could be hearing the lower anti-sway bar vibrating over the bumps since this is an SE with the firmer suspension and 18" mags whereas my previous Max was an SL. Time will tell. If it is defective, they take about 2 - 3 months of driving before they really get noisy....Oh well, at least I have a warranty!

List of minor problems with my 05 so far:

1. Gas cap makes a "pop" sound when I open it.
2. Hood alignment off....2 mm...barely noticeable.
3. Glove box out of alignment.
4. Cabin fan makes whistling noise at three bars and above with or without the A/C on.
5. Intermittent sunroof whistling...will probably be solved with some silicone lub applied to rubber seal.
6. Right rear mini panel (to the left of the right tail light) needs alignment.
7. Constant clicking noise coming from underneath the car while running or shut off.

Now while I know that most of these are very minor, I can't believe that they even exist. My wife's 2002 Toyota Corolla CE...Auto, Air and no power group, has never had any issues and cost about 2.5 times less than the Max. and the interior and exterior fit and finish are nearly perfect...with nothing needing alignment...and believe me I checked! I don't understand this. Oh and I am still riding on the original shocks and the car has NO and I mean not one rattle!

Ok, in all fairness the interior is bland and boring although functional and let's face it, it's not as exciting to look at and to drive like my Max. even though it is fun to toss around!
Old 11-12-2004, 08:51 AM

I have started to have a new problem after my first set of struts were replaced. My steering column makes a craking sound when I go over some bumps and when i turn the wheel. It's rather annoying and inconsistent. I cannot duplicate the problem by doing anything specific. All I know is that it sometimes does it when I take turns or when I go over bumps in the road. It won't make the noise if the car is parked and I turn the wheel. Any ideas as to what may be causing this. BTW the dealer said it was due to the bad struts. However, I had the top secret redesigned struts installed and it still makes the noise. Either way I am calling the Nissan rep. Any input my fellow max owners you could provide is appreciated.
Old 11-12-2004, 09:27 AM

Hi Msoemax,

If I hear of anything I will let you know. Although I had a similar problem with my 1985 VW GTI after 2 years. I believe it was the tie rods.
Old 11-13-2004, 01:14 PM

Going in again for vibrations. This is killin me. I'm not going to take this s$it up the a$$ any longer. Something has got to be done.
Old 11-13-2004, 02:35 PM

When is enough enough?

I am looking into the lemon law . This upcoming week will be the 6th time my car has to be aligned. Not to mention the three sets of struts, 1 new window motor regulator, new cup holder, new cup holder door, rear deck rattle, rear pillar trim, seat locks, turning signal, glove box alignment, and others i cannot recall right now. I think being in the shop 11 times in the past 5 months is too much; Enough is enough!! My faith in the car has been shaken. We'll see what happens.

The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act
The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act is a Federal Law that protects the buyer of any product which costs more than $25 and comes with an express written warranty. This law applies to any product that you buy that does not perform as it should.

Your car is a major investment, rationalized by the peace of mind that flows from its expected dependability and safety. Accordingly, you are entitled to expect an automobile properly constructed and regulated to provide reasonably safe, trouble-free, and dependable transportation – regardless of the exact make and model you bought. Unfortunately, sometimes these principles do not hold true and defects arise in automobiles. Although one defect is not actionable, repeated defects are as there exists a generally accepted rule that unsuccessful repair efforts render the warrantor liable. Simply put, there comes a time when “enough is enough” – when after having to take your car into the shop for repairs an inordinate number of times and experiencing all of the attendant inconvenience, you are entitled to say, ‘That’s all,’ and revoke, notwithstanding the seller’s repeated good faith efforts to fix the car. The rationale behind these basic principles is clear: once your faith in the vehicle is shaken, the vehicle loses its real value to you and becomes an instrument whose integrity is impaired and whose operation is fraught with apprehension. The question thus becomes when is “enough enough?”

As you know, enough is never enough from your warrantors point of view and you should simply continue to have your defective vehicle repaired – time and time again. However, you are not required to allow a warrantor to tinker with your vehicle indefinitely in the hope that it may eventually be fixed. Rather, you are entitled to expect your vehicle to be repaired within a reasonable opportunity. To this end, both the federal Moss Warranty Act, and the various state “lemon laws,” require repairs to your vehicle be performed within a reasonable opportunity.

Under the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, a warrantor should perform adequate repairs in at least two, and possibly three, attempts to correct a particular defect. Further, the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act’s reasonableness requirement applies to your vehicle as a whole rather than to each individual defect that arises. Although most of the Lemon Laws vary from state to state, each individual law usually require a warrantor to cure a specific defect within four to five attempts or the automobile as a whole within thirty days. If the warrantor fails to meet this obligation, most of the lemon laws provide for a full refund or new replacement vehicle. Further, this reasonable number of attempts/reasonable opportunity standard, whether it be that of the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act or that of the Lemon Laws, is akin to strict liability – once this threshold has been met, the continued existence of a defect is irrelevant and you are still entitled to relief.

One of the most important parts of the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act is its fee shifting provision. This provision provides that you may recover the attorney fees incurred in the prosecution of your case if you are successful – independent of how much you actually win. That rational behind this fee shifting provision is to twofold: (1) to ensure you will be able to vindicate your rights without having to expend large sums on attorney's fees and (2) because automobile manufacturers are able to write off all expenses of defense as a legitimate business expense, whereas you, the average consumer, obviously does not have that kind of economic staying power. Most of the Lemon Laws contain similar fee shifting provisions.

You may also derive additional warranty rights from the Uniform Commercial Code; however, the Code does not allow you in most states to recover your attorney fees. and is also not as consumer friendly as the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act or the various state lemon laws.
The narrative information on Magnusson-Moss, UCC and lemon laws on these pages is provided by Marshall Meyers, attorney.

Uniform Commercial Code Summary
The Uniform Commercial Code or UCC has been enacted in all 50 states and some of the territories of the United States. It is the primary source of law in all contracts dealing with the sale of products. The TARR refers to Tender, Acceptance, Rejection, Revocation and applies to different aspects of the consumer's "relationship" with the purchased goods.

TENDER -
The tender provisions of the Uniform Commercial Code contained in Section2-601 provide that the buyer is entitled to reject any goods that fail in any respect to conform to the contract. Unfortunately, new cars are often technically complex and their innermost workings are beyond the understanding of the average new car buyer. The buyer, therefore, does not know whether the goods are then conforming.
ACCEPTANCE -
The new car buyer accepts the goods believing and expecting that the manufacturer will repair any problem he has with the goods under the warranty.
REJECTION -
The new car buyer may discover a problem with the vehicle within the first few miles of his purchase. This would allow the new car buyer to reject the goods. If the new car buyer discovers a defect in the car within a reasonable time to inspect the vehicle, he may reject the vehicle. This period is not defined. On the one hand, the buyer must be given a reasonable time to inspect and that reasonable time to inspect will be held as an acceptance of the vehicle. The Courts will decide this reasonable time to inspect based on the knowledge and experience of the buyer, the difficulty in discovering the defect, and the opportunity to discover the defect.
The following is an example of a case of rejection: Mr. Zabriskie purchase a new 1966 Chevrolet Biscayne. After picking up the car on Friday evening, while en route to his home 2.5 miles away, and within 7/10ths of a mile from the dealership, the car stalled and stalled again within 15 feet. Thereafter, the car would only drive in low gear. The buyer rejected the vehicle and stopped payment on his check. The dealer contended that the buyer could not reject the car because he had driven it around the the block and that was his reasonable opportunity to inspect. The New Jersey Court said;

To the layman, the complicated mechanisms of today's automobile are a complete mystery.To have the automobile inspected by someone with sufficient expertise to disassemble the vehicle in order the discover latent defects before the contract is signed, is assuredly impossible and highly impractical. Consequently, the first few miles of driving become even more significant to the excited new car buyer. This is the buyer's first reasonable opportunity to enjoy his new vehicle to see if it conforms to what it was represented to be and whether he is getting what he bargained for. How long the buyer may drive the new car under the guise of inspection of new goods is not an issue in the present case because 7/10th of a mile is clearly within the ambit of a reasonable opportunity to inspect. Zabriskie Chevrolet, Inc.v. Smith, 240 A. 2d 195(1968)

It is suggested that Courts will tend to excuse use by consumers if possible.

REVOCATION -
What happens when the consumer has used the new car for a lengthy period of time? This is the typical lemon car case. The UCC provides that a buyer may revoke his acceptance of goods whose non-conformity substantially impairs the value of the goods to him when he has accepted the goods without discovery of a non-conformity because it was difficult to discover or if he was assured that non-conformities would be repaired. Of course, the average new car buyer does not learn of the nonconformity until hundreds of thousands of miles later. And because quality is job one, and manufacturers are competing on the basis of their warranties, the consumer always is assured that any noncomformities he does discover will be remedied.
What is a noncomformity substantially impairing the value of the vehicle?
A noncomformity may include a number of relatively minor defects whose cumulative total adds up to a substantial impairment. This is the "Shake Faith" Doctrine first stated in the Zabrisikie case. "For a majority of people the purchase of a new car is a major investment, rationalized by the peace of mind that flows from its dependability and safety. Once their faith is shaken, the vehicle loses not only its real value in their eyes, but becomes an instrument whose integrity is substantially impaired and whose operation is fraught with apprehension".
A substantial noncomformity may include a failure or refusal to repair the goods under the warranty. In Durfee V. Rod Baxter Imports, the Minnesota Court held that the Saab owner that was plagued by a series of of annoying minor defects and stalling, which were never repaired after a number of attempts, could revoke, "if repairs are not successfully undertaken within a reasonable time", the consumer may elect to revoke.
Substantial Non Conformity and Lemon Laws often define what may be considered a substantial impairment. These definitions have been successfully used to flesh out the substantial impairment in the UCC.
The narrative information on Magnusson-Moss, UCC and lemon laws on these pages is provided by T. Michael Flinn, attorney.
Old 11-13-2004, 02:49 PM

Somehow reading that makes me feel better.

Monday if they don't fix it, I will start it all up. I'm glad for those of you that your Max is problem free. It's a wonderful car (when working). I'm sad that I along with a few forum members are stuck with these bad apples.

Email me msoemax , lets keep in contact. If your going through with your push and I end up as well, might as keep each other company.
Old 11-16-2004, 09:05 AM

Ok, a Month has gone by, is there any update? I was at the dealer on Monday and they confirmed that my rear shocks are defective, however since they have already replaced them 5 or 6 months ago, they won`t replace them again with the same crap. The tech line says there will be a replacement on the way, shortly???

I would suggest anyone that is waiting for the "new and improved" solution to make sure the dealer has your vehicle on the list for the replacement. Usually these things are only replaced in the first year or 12k miles.
Old 11-16-2004, 09:23 AM

Look back on the second page. They have new front struts. I don't know anything about the rear struts.

As far as the warrantyThis is a grey area. The book says 12K/1yr from installation, but the 36k/3yr should cover the struts since it's bumper to bumper. If you buy the struts they offer a lifetime warranty. Will Nissan ever get the struts right?

WHAT IS COVERED AND FOR HOW
LONG
Nissan* warrants to correct defects in materials or
workmanship, or for failure due to normal wear and tear, of
all replacement Genuine Nissan Original Equipment
muffler assemblies, Genuine Nissan vehicle suspension
system shock absorbers and strut assemblies
installed on Nissan vehicles only, except as described
under the caption below, “WHAT IS NOT COVERED”.
THE LIFETIME FEATURE OF THIS WARRANTY APPLIES
ONLY IF the parts are purchased and paid for by
the owner of the vehicle on which they are installed, and
only if they are installed by an authorized Nissan dealer, for
as long as the original purchaser of the replacement
muffler assembly, shock absorber and/or strut assembly
owns the Nissan vehicle on which the parts are
installed.
IMPORTANT: The lifetime feature of this warranty does
not apply to parts (a) paid for in whole or in part by Nissan,
to include warranty replacement, campaigns or goodwill
adjustments, or (b) which are paid for under the terms of
any service contract. Such parts are instead warranted
against defects in material or workmanship only (but not
failure due to normal wear and tear) for 12 months or
12,000 miles from the date of installation or purchase,
whichever is earlier. In no case shall the warranty from
defects in material or workmanship end prior to the end of
the applicable Nissan New Vehicle Limited Warranty on
the Nissan vehicle on which the parts are installed, had the
part(s) been installed in the vehicle at manufacture.
*Nissan indicates Nissan North America, Inc., P.O. Box 191, Gardena,
California 90248-0191 which provides consumer service for Nissan
vehicles in the continental United States.
GENUINE NISSAN ORIGINAL EQUIPMENT MUFFLER, GENUINE NISSAN SHOCK
ABSORBER AND STRUT LIFETIME LIMITED WARRANTY
LIMITATION OF WARRANTIES AND OTHER
WARRANTY TERMS AND STATE LAW RIGHTS
Extra Expenses - Limitations of Damages
This warranty does not cover incidental or consequential
damages such as loss of the use of a
vehicle, substitute transportation, inconvenience or
commercial loss.
ANY IMPLIED WARRANTY OF MERCHANTABILITY AND
FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE SHALL BE
LIMITED TO THE DURATION OF THIS WRITTEN
WARRANTY.
Some states do not allow the exclusion or limitation of
incidental or consequential damages or limitations on how
long an implied warranty lasts, so the above limitations may
not apply to you. This warranty gives you specific legal
rights, and you may also have other rights which vary from
state to state.
Nissan does not authorize any person to create for it any
other warranty, obligation or liability in connection with the
part(s) subject to this express limited warranty.
WHAT IS NOT COVERED
This warranty does not cover:
1 . Genuine Nissan Key Value® Muffler Assemblies.
2 . Shock absorbers and strut assemblies installed
before July 1, 1999. Muffler assemblies installed
before October 1, 1999.
3 . Motorsports Parts. Motorsports parts are sold
"AS IS" without warranties, express or implied
unless expressly prohibited from doing so by
applicable law, in which case the warranty is the
minimum provided by law.
4. Damage or failure(s) of parts resulting from:
• Misuse (your OWNER'S MANUAL is your guide
to proper use.)
• Accident, theft, fire, driving through water.
• Salt, sand, flood or other environmental conditions.
• Modification or improper repair of the part or of the
vehicle in which the part is installed.
• Use of parts not equivalent in quality or design
to parts supplied by Nissan.
5. Salvage Title. This warranty does not apply and
is rendered VOID if the vehicle is issued a
"salvage," "flood," or similar title under any
state's law after the part(s) is purchased unless
state law expressly states otherwise. (This exclusion
does not extend to new Genuine Nissan
Original Equipment muffler assemblies, Genuine
Nissan shock absorbers or strut assemblies
purchased and installed in the vehicle after the
issuance of a "salvage," "flood," or similar title.)
(Continued on page 42)
Old 11-16-2004, 11:19 AM

Yes, a grey area to say the least. The rear shocks were replaced under warranty but the new ones are only warranted for 1 year or 12k miles because I didn`t purchase them.

Do you believe the Origional ones would be covered for 3/36k had they never been replaced?
Old 11-16-2004, 12:09 PM
Banned

I've got 18K on my MAX and don't have any of the above desribed problems. Sorry but I couldn't wait any longer to reply to your survey . . .
Old 11-16-2004, 12:16 PM

Regardless it should be 3yr/36k bumper to bumper...that is what the warranty means. I think this (12k) would be under other conditions. The 3yr/36K takes precedence over the 12k warranty, and if the dealer refuses go to another dealer. If they refuse then get a lawyer.
Old 11-16-2004, 07:33 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hello everyone

Just to add to the survey,

My 2004 max purchassed last June has 9500 KM on it and I got the left strut replaced 2 weeks ago and exactly 6 days later the right side blew-up and was replaced today.

The part numbers on the work order are:
Left: 543037Y425
Right: 543027Y025 (this one might have a typo the last 0 should be a 4)

According to msoemax's post these are not the new top secret parts

I did not noticed before I read the few previous post, that the paper I signed to get back my car had the following mention in French and English:

"Our work and all genuine NISSAN parts are warranted for 12 months or 20 000 kilometres, whichever occurs first"

Does it mean that if the struts don't faill before 12 months but shortly after, they won't replace them under warranty?
Old 11-16-2004, 08:00 PM

That`s the way I read it. After 12/20k km you are on your own, so check them out in 8 to 10 months they will probably be bad by then; mine are and maybe the new top secret ones will be available.
Old 11-17-2004, 05:35 AM

Well, the strut bug bit me, right front to be exact. The clunking started yesterday w/ only 5300 miles on my Max. I'm fortunate enough to have a cool service manager, that took the car in w/ no appointment and will install a '05 strut. He also told me that the bad struts were occuring in other Nissan models as well. I wonder if it has something to do with that new American plant working the bugs out?
Old 11-17-2004, 07:37 AM

My guess it’s the supplier of the struts. It would be interesting to find out who the OEM strut manufacturer is. Anyone have ideas?

Leftfootmax-Post the 05 strut number on the ORG if it's different from the two that I have posted on here. I wonder if the 05 struts are any better. Anyone with an 05 max have problems with the shimmy and/or the struts?

IMO Nissan did a terrible job designing the front end suspension and steering. Too many people are having issues.
Old 11-18-2004, 12:27 PM

The updated strut part numbers are:
R-54302-7y426
L-54303-7y426
These struts are the ones that are being put on the 2005 SE models.
I have been driving around on them the past week and I don't know if I feel confident that these struts will last. The right side already exhibits early signs of failure. Going over larger bumps something knocks from that area. I am curious if the lower control arm can create similar noises that a bad strut would. Perhaps this is the culprit. Any ideas?
Old 11-18-2004, 03:14 PM

Of course they know about messed up struts. Ask them how many they've replaced, then ask them how many times have they done it two or more times on any one single 6th gen max. This doesn't mean anyone higher really gives a sh*t. Look at the 350z. There is still no fix for the tire feathering issue on the Zs. Sure the new ones might not have the issue (this is still up in the air), but there is no fix for the old ones to this date. NIssan has addressed it, but as far as a recall or redesign? forgetabout it.

When my strut was replaced i was like whoa! BUt then when i went and hit my normal highway speeds of 70-75 guess what....SHimmy/vibrations like a ****.

Anyways, i'm sick and tired of writting on these forums of my crappy Max. Must make the other forum members sick as well.
Old 11-18-2004, 09:04 PM
ActiveTuning Partner

From KYB's FAQ page:

Q:
What causes my vehicle to make clunking noises when driving over bumps even though my shocks are new?

A:
There is most likely nothing wrong with the replacement units, but a metallic "clunking noise" typically indicates loose or worn mounting hardware. If the noise is present with a replacement shock absorber, check that the mountings are tightened securely, and look for other worn suspension parts. Some shock absorbers utilize a "clevis" type mount, which must squeeze the sides of the shock's "mounting sleeve" very securely in order to prevent noise. If the noise is present with a strut, then the upper bearing plate should be inspected and replaced if necessary. Old mounting bolts can stretch if over-torqued or if they have been loosened and retightened multiple times, resulting in a noise. If mounting bolts no longer hold their original torque, or if they have been stretched, they should be replaced.

I can't believe a strut can make clunking noises, or that there is a design defect in the strut. It has to be a mounting hardware or clearance issue.

I suspect the upper center nut loosens, or the insulator is weak allowing something to make contact somewhere up around the upper mount.

Has anyone found the upper center nut loose? Maybe the same nut gets reused with new struts and continues to loosen even faster since its been off before? These are just nylon insert locknuts. Loctite and retorque them.

If the upper spring perch is contacting the inner fender because of insufficient clearance or excess flex in the insulator there should be paint worn away.

Quick Reply: Bad Strut Poll