6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Did a little car shopping today....

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2004, 06:15 PM
I love lamp.

Did a little car shopping today....

....got to test drive a Red Opulence 04 6-speed, and a Black 04 5-speed auto. Very impressive. I love the brute power of the 6-speed, but the silkyness of the 5-speed auto. Only problem with the 6-speed was no xenon lights. Anyway....I'm just leaning more to the 6-speed. I was talking with the guy on the dealer, and he was telling me how rare the 6-speeds are, as well as how hard they will be to find. Well, I wanted to know if this is really true or not. If I we're to get a 6th gen, I want to buy it used....simply because I can't deal with the $5-8k depreciation that happens instantaneously. I know these cars will use value....but I don't want it to be that quick. So can anyone chime in?

S
Old 09-29-2004, 06:20 PM
I'm needing a caw

Usual dealer bs. You know why the manuals are rare? Because no one effin' buys them. What I hear is dealers usually can't even move the manual versions.

WTF you lookin' at 6th gens anyway?? haha
Old 09-29-2004, 07:25 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by maximase86
....got to test drive a Red Opulence 04 6-speed, and a Black 04 5-speed auto. Very impressive. I love the brute power of the 6-speed, but the silkyness of the 5-speed auto. Only problem with the 6-speed was no xenon lights. Anyway....I'm just leaning more to the 6-speed. I was talking with the guy on the dealer, and he was telling me how rare the 6-speeds are, as well as how hard they will be to find. Well, I wanted to know if this is really true or not. If I we're to get a 6th gen, I want to buy it used....simply because I can't deal with the $5-8k depreciation that happens instantaneously. I know these cars will use value....but I don't want it to be that quick. So can anyone chime in?

S

If you want a 6-speed, buy an 04 new. Why buy a car someone else may have run very hard?
Old 09-29-2004, 07:39 PM

Well, in my area there were only a maybe 2 manual trannies available. They were in high demand. I work with alot of dealers and I know that these cars are rare. I was able to secure one of the two and the other was sold the next day.

It's true that most of the people buying maximas would rather have the auto but, the ones that don't want the auto are competing with each other for the manual. This is true at least in my area, i can't vouch for anywhere else.

I would suggest to check out the dealers in your area and see how many 6 spd they have. If there are a few of them, then you may be able to find one at a good price.

Good Luck.
Old 09-29-2004, 07:45 PM
SuPeRmOd

Originally Posted by lobewiper
If you want a 6-speed, buy an 04 new. Why buy a car someone else may have run very hard?
"$5-8k" actually 2-3k depreciation vs. Replace tranny?

I accepted the loss in driving off lot new for getting exactly what I wanted, no regrets to this or that feature missing, and mostly because I broke it in and contributed to all the miles. No surprises. Worth that depreciation to me. The 2 trannys are so close, I would choose the auto. Very fun IMO. plus you would SO miss the HIDs. I bet if you keep looking, you'll find all the features you want for similar/better deal. Make sure an 04 is VIN 90xxxx or higher to avoid early make problems.

The 05 deals right NOW are better than recent 04 with a few new enhancements and less possible issues.
Old 09-29-2004, 10:40 PM
I'm needing a caw

If I had the $ to buy a new car, it would be the G35 coupe/sedan. Just my 02
Old 09-29-2004, 11:00 PM
cim

I've been shopping '05 models over the past week and originally I was only looking for the 6 spd.... it's been tough locating them.... once I did get to test drive one I was very unimpressed with it. The shifter is so damn notchy and the throw seems to be really long, it just seemed like too much work trying to pop between the gears. I gave up on the 6 spd and am just looking at autos now.... prolly just as well because traffic in SoCal is so bad my left foot would be dead in no time!
Old 09-30-2004, 06:29 AM

The manuals are much rarer than the autos, that's true. However, they're definitely out there, you just have to be willing to call and/or drive around to find the one you want. The other option is to order one to your exact specifications. Some people on here have had trouble with that in the past, so do it at your own risk.

Heck, the first dealership I went to looked at me like I I had two heads when I asked to test drive a manual. They had *none*. Of course, then I went to another place, and they had the exact one I wanted.

Buying used is actually a big point in your favor with a manual, I think. Dealers tend to stress that demand is low for manuals - so make sure you use that to your advantage when bargaining. I think the thrill of being the first owner of a car, and knowing exactly where all its miles have come from is worth the 2-3k you lose by buying it new. But that's just me.

Personally, I will never own an automatic transmission for as long as they continue to make manuals. Yeah, the 6spd isn't as smooth as I'd like and yeah it isn't a short throw shifter.... but man, it's certainly way better than driving a friggin' automatic (no offense to you auto drivers... just personal preference).

-Nate
Old 09-30-2004, 10:09 AM
I love lamp.

Well, I'm kinda steering away from the 6th gen just because of price. Starting a new job it's pretty tempting to be wreckless with a new found income. So I'm probably going to settle for a 2000-2003 Because they can be had for between 10k-20k. For the money I'd spend for that one 6-speed, I could pay 2k more and get me a used G35C 6mt...which I really want. The 6th gen is good performer, but I don't think it's that good if I can get a RWD car for only a hair more and get even more performance from it.

And true dat about people beating up on manuals. I scared the crap out of the sales guy yesterday when I merged into traffic, bounced the rev limiter and spun through 2nd gear! That felt good! Anyway, thanks for the feed back guys, I appreciate it.

Also the 5-8k depreciation seems to be about the average here in the Seattle area....didn't realize it was 2-3k on the east coast? Maybe that's why?

S
Old 09-30-2004, 10:13 AM
I'm needing a caw

Nope. The depreciation is nationwide Sarin. It's because Nissan always pushes rebates after 6 months or so. So if you are offering 1-2k rebates, that means used versions are going to be worth even less.
Old 09-30-2004, 04:40 PM

S
Get a nice priced 04 6 speed if you want that.....get a low mile one. No, they are not rare. Save your bucks and get one used. Yes....these cars are depreciating rapidly. I would not pay any more for a 6 speed used than a auto.....used to be the auto trans cost more. Just my 2 cents. Check prices, the dealers have the 05 models and are pushing the 04 models out as fast as they can. You find a low mile trade in 6 speed 04.....some loaded are going CHEAP. Don't believe me.....check Ebay. Wish I would have waited a few months before buying my 04.....could have been driving something with alot more options a hell of alot cheaper. Just my 2 cents. PLEASE THINK ABOUT THIS BEFORE YOU BUY....you will thank me later. Also get one with the Nav unit.
Old 09-30-2004, 04:45 PM

My intentions also was the 6spd but the stupid "stealership" acted like the 6spd was impossible to find. Still wish I couldve had one, but Im still happy with the auto.
Old 09-30-2004, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by DvSMAXXX04
My intentions also was the 6spd but the stupid "stealership" acted like the 6spd was impossible to find. Still with I couldve have one, but Im still happy with the auto.
I am habby with mine as well, though I do miss rowing through the gears....the wife has serious problems with learning a manual....LOL.

These PHANTOM MANUAL MAXIMAS are not rare though. Would not pay more for a manual over a auto though. Hell, back in 93 when the Camaro Z28 with the LT1 came out, most wanted a 6 speed....that was hard to buy back then because it was a muscle car. Most people buying the Maxima, check the market....are looking for a lux / big sized car. Manual is not rare.....do not pay a premium for one. Benifit of the manual though....you just blow a clutch, do not worry about the auto tranny rebuild, more expensive and you get a bit better HP and fuel economy. Now, automatic trans are pretty good. Even though we can shift the auto in manumatic mode....the computer shifts pretty well by itself.
Old 09-30-2004, 10:40 PM
I love lamp.

I didn't like the manumatic mode at all. The car just felt clumsy when trying to shift it. Much better letting the computer shift instead.

S
Old 10-01-2004, 02:50 PM

I didn't like the manumatic mode at all. The car just felt clumsy when trying to shift it. Much better letting the computer shift instead.

S
I feel you, seems the computer shifts ALOT quicker than the manumatic.....there is some serious lag time on the shift doing it yourself. The only time I really use it now is staying in 3rd so I am in a good powerband if I want to play, though this is not really a racer. I also use the manumatic when it wants to shift from 2nd to 3rd sometimes when the trans wants to buck. Hate that.