6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

In Dash Turn Signals and some Rant...

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2004, 07:20 AM

In Dash Turn Signals and some Rant...

So before picking up this new Maxima I used to have track 350z. One thing I miss is that the Z had these little plastic lenses that refracted the turn signal indicator. It looked so cool. It seems that the lens should fit on the max's cluster since they're almost the same thing. Don't know what I mean? Go sit in a Z, flip any of the turn signals and look at it.... Looks real nice eh?

<rant>
One thing I do not miss is the punishing ride of the Z (or the F'IN tire feathering growl!!!!!!!!!!! making me spend $$$$$$$$$4 for crap tires every month). No reason why it has to be so f'in harsh (can you tell I'm still peeved?). For the record i want to say that the car is street fast but NOT enough so to justify the impossibly harsh ride. No, mods don't count and It feels like a pig. This is the truth. I do feel that if the car came with 320-350 hp that it would 75% justify the stiff ride. The EVO feels just as stiff and doesn't feel like a pig when you toss it around. And it's turn-in and set is much better. It's butter. Unfortunatly so is it's look. A butta-face

To all the men and women with Maximas from SE to SL your not missing ANYTHING. Trust me. I get the same feeling of speed in my SL that I got from the 350Z. Now before you say "oh you nissan/Z hater blah blah", I want to tell you that you can't buy a Z if you don't have Nissan AND the Z in your heart. And i Do.

For the record:
I like to autocross and road race. My a$$ is very sensitive and it needs to be. On a scale of 1-10 for ride quality; 10 being a GT3 Cup Car, 1 being a lexus riding on cotton, the 350 feels like a 9. Can you believe it! A NINE!!!! And it doesn't even handle like it feels! I've also owned an 03 MY Z06 (on the scale it's a 6 & handled 3x better).

When I drive to work I want to drive to work normaly, not feel like I'm passing over the rumble of the curbs at a road course the whole time.

BTW: i have alot of friends with Zs and 3 are already talking about selling.
</rant>

I want to end by saying I love my Maxima! The same feeling I had with my very first car! (and you know what that feeling is like ) Even with it's light Shimy, foggy nav plastic cover, and broken shift **** (all getting fixed tomorrow!).
Old 10-01-2004, 08:15 AM

Well,
One thing to note is that the Z has a shorter wheelbase and will be bumpier.
If you want a sportscar, that is fast and tight, don't expect to have a daily driver out of it.
I know some 911 and Z05 owners that can afford to drive their sportscars daily. They have garages to keep them in (both at home and work), and their commute is 90% highway. And they have 4wd vehicles for the "bad weather" seasons.
But thanks for the info. I notice my SE is bumpier at the end of the day than the morning hours. Why? Cuz I am tired...

And about the turn signals...BRIGHTER would be better. Someone want to step and and MOD the signals (with step by step).
Old 10-01-2004, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by maximage
Well,
One thing to note is that the Z has a shorter wheelbase and will be bumpier.
If you want a sportscar, that is fast and tight, don't expect to have a daily driver out of it.
I know some 911 and Z05 owners that can afford to drive their sportscars daily. They have garages to keep them in (both at home and work), and their commute is 90% highway. And they have 4wd vehicles for the "bad weather" seasons.
But thanks for the info. I notice my SE is bumpier at the end of the day than the morning hours. Why? Cuz I am tired...
I agree with maximage a bit about the ride. However, I think the point being made is that the Zs ride is much too harsh when compared to its handling. Before I bought my Maxima I seriously looked at the RX-8 (I needed the extra doors and the back seats for kids). I used to get in arguments with people about the RX-8's shortcommings (roominess, lack of a spare, etc.) and I would say "If you want a roomy vehicle with a spare and other ammenities buy an SUV! If you want a sports car, buy a Z or something, something.": However, the point is that the RX-8's handling was top notch. Every automotive publication I have read gives the RX-8 more points in handling over the Z, AND the RX-8 has a very comfortable ride, making it a great commuter, with handling capability greater than that of the Z, which has a harsher ride. So i think his rant is a justifiable one.
Old 10-01-2004, 11:06 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

So before picking up this new Maxima I used to have track 350z. One thing I miss is that the Z had these little plastic lenses that refracted the turn signal indicator. It looked so cool. It seems that the lens should fit on the max's cluster since they're almost the same thing. Don't know what I mean? Go sit in a Z, flip any of the turn signals and look at it.... Looks real nice eh?
The dealership is kinda far... do you have a picture of these plastic lense/refractor thingies?
Old 10-01-2004, 11:25 AM

Sorry if it sounded like I wasn't agreeing with the original post. I actually sat in a "Z" (and G35 Coupe...) and I am too tall for them to even test drive. So, I could never experience the poor ride vs handling--what was mentioned. (BTW, dealers laugh at you if you want to see a Z Convertible...the b@stards!)

Those RX-8 Mazdas...they look and handle great from all the talk. But what I read on some forum was "gas mileage is a joke". For some reason, the RX-8 is getting 12mpg. If Mazda made a slightly bigger, RX-7 and put a twin rotary, twin turbo 350HP+ motor...I'd deal with the ride in a heartbeat. But it will never happen.

I love Rants!
Old 10-01-2004, 02:05 PM

The RX-8 gas milage is terrible, another reason I didn't get one. That and the lack of low end torque. VERY fun car to drive though. I still get a pang when I see one on the road, even though I love my Maxima. Why do the dealers laugh? Are they ard to get? I've seen them at a dealership near me.
Old 10-03-2004, 09:48 PM

I do like the styling of the Rx8.

Basically the same price as the Max. But you get lot less. And i bet you, the max is faster ;-)

Ok ok, maybe entry speed won't be as fast. But we'd still givem a run on the hwy ;-) Then again I consider myself a very skilled driver and with the right tires (tires are everything) I bet I could spank a few Rx8s at VIR. ;-)

I miss the Z06 though. Car was near perfect (as far as sports cars go), except women hated riding in it. I can understand. (side note, sitting as a passenger in my own Track Z I felt like puking after 10 min.) I Got more attention from guys than girls. When girls step into the Max, it's all good.

I'll be looking to see if a part number exists for the Turn signals. They look so sweet! Wish more ppl would know what I'm talking about.

The max is the best car for the value out there.

BTW: Just bought a new 05 E class 4matic. ;-) We'll see how that v8 handles against the Max and how smooth it is. I didn't get much seat time but I feel the Max SL is as soft.

I'l update ya guys later...