6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Sirius Satellite Radio Hookup

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2004, 07:17 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Sirius Satellite Radio Hookup

Did anyone got ur Max to hookup to Sirius Sat? I want to hookup and my Max is Sat ready. Do I need to hard wire or get any new hardware for that?
Old 10-06-2004, 03:31 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

You need to get the receiver (try Grubbs Performance it's about $275), then you'll need a Sirius antenna (try e-bay for about $30-40), then you'll need an antenna splitter (and they can be difficult to find, again try e-bay about $30).

Instructions for installation are on the Grubbs site...click under the Maxima link.
Old 10-06-2004, 05:01 PM

No you dont.. No antenna splitter needed? I did mine and wasnt needed?
Old 10-06-2004, 06:17 PM

Instructions call for antenna splitter. If you get a newer antenna with one lead, then you need the splitter. If you get an older antenna then you don't. That's my undertsanding...
Old 10-07-2004, 06:28 PM

Wrong! The instructions are for an infiniti that you see... Call Grubbs they'll tell you.. BTW did you install yours?
Old 10-08-2004, 01:01 AM

Use the PAC AAI-NIS which actually plugs INTO your SAT port on the back of the radio giving you CD quality sound. Don't bother with FM modulators, their sound quality is horrible.
Old 10-08-2004, 05:40 AM

Bryan,
These guys are talking about the OEM sat box made by Clarion. It's pretty much a plug-and-play deal and you have full control via the headunit.
Old 10-08-2004, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by DougJones
Bryan,
These guys are talking about the OEM sat box made by Clarion. It's pretty much a plug-and-play deal and you have full control via the headunit.
Oops! Thought they were talking about aftermarket SAT
Old 10-08-2004, 07:01 PM

Strange, the instructions I have are for a Maxima, and it requires a splitter. The pictures are even of a Maxima. The Nissan dealer says you need a splitter.

I guess you must know more than Nissan's instructions and the Nissan dealer. How did you do that????
Old 10-08-2004, 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by us024077
Strange, the instructions I have are for a Maxima, and it requires a splitter. The pictures are even of a Maxima. The Nissan dealer says you need a splitter.

I guess you must know more than Nissan's instructions and the Nissan dealer. How did you do that????
READ -

Oops! Thought they were talking about aftermarket SAT
Old 10-09-2004, 02:07 PM

Yes I installed mine today, and YES YOU DO NEED A SPLITTER. The radio will NOT work if you plug the antenna directly into the receiver. So...don't know what Grubbs might have told Davesipaq, but they were wrong.

Just goes to show....always follow the directions...
Old 10-10-2004, 05:24 AM

I got my Sirius set and antenna from Grubbs. They sent me a splitter(IT IS REQUIRED). Instalation was very easy as all the wiring is plug and play in the trunk. Mine works very well - I am pleased with the performance.
Old 10-11-2004, 04:00 PM

LOL you guys crack me up. Why would you need a splitter if your car is prewired? Lets look at this. If you get the antenna from Grubbs it has ONE connection on the back of the Clarion unit THATS IT! Mine works like a charm ? Why would you need an ANTENNA splitter anyway? Your not using the MAXIMA antenna...
Old 10-11-2004, 07:18 PM

It's a satellite antenna splitter, NOT a splitter for the regular radio. The Sirius receiver has 2 (read that as TWO) antenna inputs, one for SAT and one for TER). The antenna has 1 (read that as ONE) plug. Last I knew, you can't fir ONE plug into TWO receptacles at the same time.

FYI...there are 2 types of most satellite systems signals, the satellite signal from outer space, and a terrestrial signal from repeater towers in large cities to combat the satellite shadow, expecially for Sirius because their satellites are in a lower orbit than XM.

You might try to understand what you're atlking about next time.
Old 10-12-2004, 07:04 AM

if the max is prewired for satellite, all you need is just the tuner and antenna and you just need to install those to items (no running wires to the head unit, etc.)?

Has anyone done this and was it fairly easy?

thanks
Old 10-12-2004, 07:44 AM

I had the unit and antenna installed by my dealer over the weekend. I love having Sirius in my car! It displays the artist and title on the screen (if you hit the tuner ****) and the sound is much better than using one of those portable units that runs through the radio.
Old 10-12-2004, 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by cameek
if the max is prewired for satellite, all you need is just the tuner and antenna and you just need to install those to items (no running wires to the head unit, etc.)?

Has anyone done this and was it fairly easy?

thanks
Yes that is correct you need the tuner and antenna (btw the oem big antenna does not require a splitter but if you buy a low profile antenna they require a splitter as the oem antenna has two wires and the others have one wire thus the splitter is needed) Buy a low profile antenna as it is easier to put around the glass and buy a tool at any auto part store to remove the trunk grommets.

Took me about a hour and half to install hardest part is working in the trunk.
Old 10-12-2004, 08:22 AM

thanks...ordering it this week
Old 10-13-2004, 01:09 PM

How do I know if my Max is 'pre-wired'?

I picked it up the first week of June in 2003.
Old 10-13-2004, 01:49 PM

I had the unit and antenna installed by my dealer over the weekend. I love having Sirius in my car! It displays the artist and title on the screen (if you hit the tuner ****) and the sound is much better than using one of those portable units that runs through the radio.

surly, how much did the dealership charge you,.,. im just tryin to get a feel for prices. I want a factory sat not an aftermarket one so id prob better off going to the dealership, right???
Old 10-14-2004, 04:49 AM

Originally Posted by marmadogg
How do I know if my Max is 'pre-wired'?

I picked it up the first week of June in 2003.

2 different ways:

1st on the driver side door jamb (near the bottom of the seat) there is a sticker that says it is prewired

2nd you can call the dealer and give them your vin #, and they can tell you also
Old 10-14-2004, 04:51 AM

Satellite antenna

Has anyone hooked up a satellite radio antenna inside the car on the rear deck? I have read on some other forums that you can, although it is recommended that you insert a metal plate of some sort underneath it to help increase the reception.

Any thoughts?
Old 10-14-2004, 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by cameek
Has anyone hooked up a satellite radio antenna inside the car on the rear deck? I have read on some other forums that you can, although it is recommended that you insert a metal plate of some sort underneath it to help increase the reception.

Any thoughts?
I tired the back shelf and it didn't work very well with reception clouds, building, trees just about anything would interrupt the signal so I put it on the top and 99.9% better. Some have it on the back panel with great reception maybe depends on where you live I'm in NW Arkansas. Actually puting it on top was a lot easier than I thought just didn't like the idea of a antenna on the back of the car. Try it and see.
Old 10-14-2004, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by BLKMAX X2
I tired the back shelf and it didn't work very well with reception clouds, building, trees just about anything would interrupt the signal so I put it on the top and 99.9% better. Some have it on the back panel with great reception maybe depends on where you live I'm in NW Arkansas. Actually puting it on top was a lot easier than I thought just didn't like the idea of a antenna on the back of the car. Try it and see.

what size antenna did you get, and how does it look?
Old 10-14-2004, 09:31 AM

I have the Terk Sirius Micro Satellite Antenna

http://www.grubbsperformance.com/Mer...ius_micro2.jpg

I dont have a current picture with the antenna on.
Old 10-14-2004, 04:10 PM

This site is great for anyone looking to hook up SAT...either with or without prewired for SAT radio. Bookmark it, as it shows you EVERYTHING....pics and all.

Moderators....if you can, please make this a sticky added to the MOD posts. Wish I knew who to give credit to for this nice writeup. Real good stuff, even though it is a G, still, same should apply. 1st step, check your door jam to see if yours is PREWIRED, will say it right on there as mine does. If that is the case, easy job. There are many types of antennas, some require a splitter, some do not. Depends on the antenna you want. Right now, I just have XM radio with a XM Roady, antenna sitting in the back tray near the speakers, micro antenna, reception is fine. When I get some money and time, will be getting the Grubbs XM tuner and will just plug and play after using an old 2 lead XM antenna and the Grubbs tuner. Hope this helps.

http://g-owners.com/article_read.asp?id=19
Old 10-14-2004, 05:30 PM

I have my antenna on the rear deck inside the car and it works fine.
Old 10-14-2004, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by dfurlano
I have my antenna on the rear deck inside the car and it works fine.
Mine also, no since in playing with something on the roof or trunk. Just my 2 cents.
Old 10-15-2004, 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by SilverSL
surly, how much did the dealership charge you,.,. im just tryin to get a feel for prices. I want a factory sat not an aftermarket one so id prob better off going to the dealership, right???
They charged me $85 per hour of labor. It took them 2.5 hours to install but only charged me for 2 hours. It was only the second time they had installed one of these. The kit doesn't come with instructions and they told me the first one they installed (in a Murano) took 4 hours; they also had to find the instructions online. I found the link for the instructions on this site and printed them out so that they wouldn't charge me labor for having to do that themselves!

I'm very happy with the install...the antenna is sleek and doesn't look out of place at all. By using the factory unit, you get a true digital signal, and if you tap the tuner button, it will display artist and song titles on the screen. The portable units sold at Best Buy, etc. send a signal through your radio, so you get a compressed sound and not a true stereo mix (at least that's what my stereo expert buddies tell me!) I rented a car over the summer with one of those units and the sound quality was definitely weak in comparison to what I have now in my Max.

In addition to the New Wave channel, I'm now hooked on their Garage Rock channel as well...they are playing all kinds of cool stuff I have not heard before.
Old 10-17-2004, 04:37 PM

Moderators, can we get this added to the mods for SAT hookup...will help out others asking the same question.

Originally Posted by carcus
This site is great for anyone looking to hook up SAT...either with or without prewired for SAT radio. Bookmark it, as it shows you EVERYTHING....pics and all.

Moderators....if you can, please make this a sticky added to the MOD posts. Wish I knew who to give credit to for this nice writeup. Real good stuff, even though it is a G, still, same should apply. 1st step, check your door jam to see if yours is PREWIRED, will say it right on there as mine does. If that is the case, easy job. There are many types of antennas, some require a splitter, some do not. Depends on the antenna you want. Right now, I just have XM radio with a XM Roady, antenna sitting in the back tray near the speakers, micro antenna, reception is fine. When I get some money and time, will be getting the Grubbs XM tuner and will just plug and play after using an old 2 lead XM antenna and the Grubbs tuner. Hope this helps.

http://g-owners.com/article_read.asp?id=19
Old 10-18-2004, 04:11 AM

Anyone know if this unit would be compatible or not. The price looks way more reasonable. Nissan's unit is Clarion, correct?

Link
Old 10-18-2004, 02:54 PM

Malnevik, you got a hot thread started here!

I put my Sirius unit in myself in late June. I thought it was cake and it took maybe an hour start to finish. The biggest time factor is removing the trim pieces to get to the mounting locations. Prior to permanently mounting my antenna, I tested it by laying it in the rear shelf. I'm using the standard size antenna and found that I get excellent reception with it. On the steel panel under the rear shelf, there's a hole in the exact center maybe 6" ahead of the high-mount stop light. All you have to do is punch a little hole through the fuzzy shelf material with something sharp and then run the antenna lead down into the trunk and to the tuner. Removing the adhesive on the back of the antenna and putting something like a big book on it overnight to make it stick has worked fine for me. Reception was great during a trip to the Rockies this summer, even in the mountain canyons. Lost it in the tunnels of course, but I wouldn't have even been getting FM outside the tunnels.

I got my tuner from Grubbs and bought the antenna from Crutchfield as part of a discontinued AudioVox kit for $24. Normally you can pay $50-60 just for the antenna.
I also have found the splitter at CircuitCity for less than $10.

I'm afraid I'm spoiled and have to have Sirius in the car. It's really great on a long trip! Good luck, don't be afraid to install it yourself, Grubbs sends out very good instructions.
Old 10-18-2004, 04:53 PM

My 2005 is prewired for satellite radio. So...........what do I need? Just the receiver, antenna and splitter?
Old 10-18-2004, 07:02 PM

yes.. that's it. Grubbs is easy to work with and will get you all fixed up. Also, you will get the first three months free when you call to activate and tell them that it's a new Nissan unit, at least I did.
Old 10-19-2004, 04:57 AM

Hmmmm I am definetly interested in SAT Radio since I saw my uncles aftermarket. Only thing is, what if I wanted XM?!?!? I listen to O&A more than Howard lol.....
Old 10-19-2004, 06:57 AM

You can get XM if you like, same install proceure, but it uses a different tuner module and antenna. Just tell them which flavor you prefer.
Old 10-19-2004, 05:18 PM

Since my car is already wired all I need is the receiver, splitter and antenna.
Then what is the difference between these 2 units? Outside of the obvious cost difference?

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-F1fhYK9...50&I=020SIRCL1

http://www.grubbsperformance.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=999U9&Catego ry_Code=Specials
Old 10-19-2004, 06:23 PM

Been there, done that. I bought a Clarion unit on ebay cheap thinking I'd save a bunch of money. They're both Clarion, right? Yes they are, BUT the Nissan unit has a very unique jack where the m-link or whatever they call it connects. This connection appears to be exclusive to Nissan and is the main wiring harness that connects the tuner to the head unit. I've checked lots of places that make adapter harnesses to accomplish this sort of thing, but they all tell me that they have no plans to make such a harness. Most likely not enough demand. So, you're pretty much left with one choice if you want it to work with your Nissan head unit. If you could dig up a schematic and find the pin-outs, you could most likely make a harness yourself. Anyway, that's what I encountered.
Old 10-20-2004, 03:51 AM

Originally Posted by daltongc
Been there, done that. I bought a Clarion unit on ebay cheap thinking I'd save a bunch of money. They're both Clarion, right? Yes they are, BUT the Nissan unit has a very unique jack where the m-link or whatever they call it connects. This connection appears to be exclusive to Nissan and is the main wiring harness that connects the tuner to the head unit. I've checked lots of places that make adapter harnesses to accomplish this sort of thing, but they all tell me that they have no plans to make such a harness. Most likely not enough demand. So, you're pretty much left with one choice if you want it to work with your Nissan head unit. If you could dig up a schematic and find the pin-outs, you could most likely make a harness yourself. Anyway, that's what I encountered.
It's too bad. I really don't want to drop 3 beans on a receiver. Seems kind of steep. Thanks for replying.
Old 10-20-2004, 04:29 PM

BUT the Nissan unit has a very unique jack where the m-link or whatever they call it connects. This connection appears to be exclusive to Nissan and is the main wiring harness that connects the tuner to the head unit. I've checked lots of places that make adapter harnesses to accomplish this sort of thing, but they all tell me that they have no plans to make such a harness.
Wow, that seems unbelievable. No adapter made at all? I'm heading to Circuit City tomorrow to investigate.

Quick Reply: Sirius Satellite Radio Hookup