6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.
View Poll Results: Do people mistake your Maxima for an Altima?
Yes
42.07%
No
35.86%
They ask me what kind of car it is.
22.07%
Voters: 145. You may not vote on this poll

Does anyone mistake your Maxima for an Altima?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2004, 04:59 PM

Does anyone mistake your Maxima for an Altima?

I get alot of people that think my Max is an Altima....well, it is debadged and has a billet grill. Wondering if I am the only one.
Old 10-14-2004, 05:10 PM
SuPeRmOd

1 has asked me if Alti, but anoher thought it was a Z. others have no idea, so i voted C.
Old 10-14-2004, 05:20 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

People are stupid thats why!

Some dude said "hey is that an altima, I cant tell?"
So I looked over to him, standing by his car, which was an accord, so I said "Its a maxima guy. And I have to say, your civic looks nice" And I drove off
Old 10-14-2004, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by NismoMax80
1 has asked me if Alti, but anoher thought it was a Z. others have no idea, so i voted C.
See, that is what I mean, some people think it is an Altima, most of them. Never had anyone ask if it was a Z though. I do get alot of "What kinda car is that?".....but I contribute that to being debadged....and damn I love the car debadged with no Nissan hamburger on the grill or the rear. Just like the smooth lines, no stickers or badges for me, no Nismo crap on my rear deck lid.

Funny thing is still....most people think it is a Altima, than they look inside and say....Nope, it is not an Altima.

I do like the people that just say though every once in a while...."What kinda car is that, it is beautiful!"

Not that being confused with an Altima pisses me off or anything, they are some nice cars too, but just had to see what you all thought and any thing that can spice up this board is a good post. PLEASE.....NO NEGATIVE ALTIMA POSTS. Just wondered if anyone has to answer the same questions I do on a daily basis. Also, I am a Military Technical Training Instructor, so alot of the 18 year old students of mine fresh out of basic ask me these questions....so I imagine I get it more than most, the old Sarge pulling up in the bling bling and they see the car and go..."WOW....is that an Altima?" Not one has said "Is that a Maxima" Been asked if it was an Altima over 30 times, but they never get to see it up close and never see the rear of it to tell, plus the aftermarket grill.
Old 10-14-2004, 05:35 PM

....always, even 'til this day. When I first got my Maxima last September, all people said was "I love the way the new Altima looks." After months of getting that I felt like saying but eventually I grew out of it and now shrug it off .

These cars are so easy to distinguish not only because of the tail light but also by the stock rims, the skyview roof, trunk design, even the way the headlights are, not to mention the stock exhaust. I guess people don't really look at cars with details otherwise the differences are easily visible.

Old 10-14-2004, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by 2k4MaximaSE
....always, even 'til this day. When I first got my Maxima last September, all people said was "I love the way the new Altima looks." After months of getting that I felt like saying but eventually I grew out of it and now shrug it off .

These cars are so easy to distinguish not only because of the tail light but also by the stock rims, the skyview roof, trunk design, even the way the headlights are, not to mention the stock exhaust. I guess people don't really look at cars with details otherwise the differences are easily visible.

I TOTALLY AGREE WITH YOU!!!! Now you know why I made the post. Thought I was the only one who was going through this.
Old 10-14-2004, 05:56 PM
SuPeRmOd

Originally Posted by carcus
...no Nismo crap on my rear deck lid.
hey now buddy, watch it j/k I won't have ANY extras on my exterior.

Funny thing is still....most people think it is a Altima, than they look inside and say....Nope, it is not an Altima.
this is why so many were anti-6th gen and some still are. many loyals just want a stronger distinction between the 2 again.
although many (5th genners especially) envy/desire the 6th now or have traded up.

yet I see it more as Nissan using the desire of a MAXIMA in the public to sell the cheaper Alti. (kinda for the wannabe Max owners)

I do like the people that just say though every once in a while...."What kinda car is that, it is beautiful!"
One of the reasons I first fell in love with her over 1.5 year ago and knew i'd have one someday.
Old 10-14-2004, 07:23 PM

People love cracking the joke: "man i love your altima" Now i just laugh. So most of the time people do call it an altima if they know its a nissan. But i've also had nice g35 alot too. I can't complain with that tho.

There are also a good number of people that just don't know what kind of car it is.
Old 10-14-2004, 07:56 PM

I have yet to hear "is that an altima?" I usually get "You must be doing pretty well for yourself". That puts a smile on my face!
Old 10-14-2004, 08:00 PM

Anyone calls my Max an Altima gets their face shoved in.

Mike
Old 10-14-2004, 08:14 PM

I keep my pimp hand strong for laying the smack down on beyotches that call her an Altima!
Old 10-14-2004, 09:08 PM

Never had my Max mistaken for an Altima, just a lot of raised eye brows asking the same two questions one right after the other

1) "Where'd u get all that money?"

2) "Is that a Mercedes-Benz Grill?"
Old 10-14-2004, 09:12 PM

When I told my colleague at work I was ordering a Maxima, he told me I should have just gotten the Altima since they look the same.
Old 10-15-2004, 05:04 AM
meh

Originally Posted by 2k4MaximaSE

Dude, this size and font sucks. Are you trying to make your posts illegible?
Old 10-15-2004, 05:39 AM

On a related story, parked at the grocery store yesterday between two altimas (i see a lot of those lately) ...

When I came back out one of guys was standing there eyeing my max and says "I should have gotten the Maxima."

I just kind of laughed and said "yeah, you're right"
Old 10-15-2004, 05:40 AM

I think a lot of it has to do with advertising. I rarely see any Maxima commercials (the guy squeezing the orange and that's about it), compared to Altima commercials. I don't think I'm making a stupid statement when I say most people have never seen a Maxima commercial, therefore they have no idea what a 6th Gen looks like. That's also the reason why you see people taking double observations at the Max. They have that Altima image planted in their minds, but then they see the different tail/headlights, dual exhaust, bigger tires, longer profiles, skyroof, etc. and they're like what's that!! "That's a tight alti... wait that's a Max, I love it."
Old 10-15-2004, 06:58 AM

You know, in an attempt to check out other Nissans while driving, I too, a Maxima owner, have been guilty of mistaking a Max for and Altima and vice versa. From far off, they look quite similar.
Old 10-15-2004, 07:41 AM

I can see their confusion...although its subtle. Hell, last night I had a guy pull alongside with same color Nissan and I had to look twice to see it was an Altima. ofcourse, it was 9pm and no street lighting. But the max is much larger. And shifted far smoother (his car kept slowing at shift points that my max never even burped...yes, I won the race to the next traffic signal...and next one..and even the third one!)

Altima-

Maxima-

**lots of images of 2004 2005 Japan Nissans here:
http://imagesnissan1.free.fr/images/japon/nissan/
Old 10-15-2004, 09:55 AM

No.

I have a few people ask me if it was a Z.
The orange thing I think when they see it from the front.
Old 10-15-2004, 10:08 AM

Haha, someone made the EXACT same thread in the 5th gen forum and guess what, the majority of the guys said that they do get mistaken for altimas. The 5.5 gen grille/front with the big Nissan burger really kind of resembles the 02-04 Altima's, so from far away it's hard to tell. But I've never taken a 6th gen for an Alti, no way. The only thing that can throw me off is the arched profile on both, but it only takes a second to realize which of the two it is.
Old 10-15-2004, 11:13 AM

The Nissan Maximas Are Built On Altimas Chassis .................
Old 10-15-2004, 12:30 PM

I get it all the time....a majority of the time people dont even know what kind of car it is.
Old 10-15-2004, 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by Maximadmoiselle
Haha, someone made the EXACT same thread in the 5th gen forum and guess what, the majority of the guys said that they do get mistaken for altimas. The 5.5 gen grille/front with the big Nissan burger really kind of resembles the 02-04 Altima's, so from far away it's hard to tell. But I've never taken a 6th gen for an Alti, no way. The only thing that can throw me off is the arched profile on both, but it only takes a second to realize which of the two it is.
Your right 5.5 gens look like Altima's from the front but from the side and side rear profile it looks similiar to a 6th gen. We Maxima enthusiast can tell the differences almost instantly.
Old 10-15-2004, 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by leftfootmax
I think a lot of it has to do with advertising. I rarely see any Maxima commercials (the guy squeezing the orange and that's about it), compared to Altima commercials. I don't think I'm making a stupid statement when I say most people have never seen a Maxima commercial, therefore they have no idea what a 6th Gen looks like. That's also the reason why you see people taking double observations at the Max. They have that Altima image planted in their minds, but then they see the different tail/headlights, dual exhaust, bigger tires, longer profiles, skyroof, etc. and they're like what's that!! "That's a tight alti... wait that's a Max, I love it."
The reason that you don't see many Maxima commercials is because the Maxima doesn't need much advertising. The car is a seller.
Old 10-16-2004, 10:19 AM

When i had the 02 Max i got alot of people asking "Is that the new Altima?"
Now with the 04 nobody has yet asked me if it is an Altima, but i do get the ocassional "Thats a bad *** ride" When i first got the 04 in Oct 03, i was rolling down the street and some guy rolled down his window and said "Hey dude, is that the new Maxima? Thats a sweet looking ride, hell yeah!" He was very happy to se it. It was pretty funny.
Old 10-17-2004, 09:34 PM

I write my inmates up for insurbordination and trying to get personal with staff, whenever they call my maxima an altima. I am a mean CO.
Old 10-18-2004, 06:01 AM

hmm.. i guess the new maxima's can KINDA resemble to the new altimas. But then again we're maxaholics so it's a whole different outlook.

BTW- sick grill, looks pimpin n also clean
Old 10-18-2004, 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by REVOLUTIONZ
Huh? They are unibody; no chasis. I know...you meant that..

Doing a comparison on Nissan's site, there is some misleading numbers out there. The first is a 2005 Altima 3.5SE "requires" Premium Unleaded to achieve its HP rating of 250HP. The Maxima does not need Premium fuel.
The Maxima only has .4 more cu.ft of space though. (Interior passenger volume (cu. ft.)103.2 vs 103.6 )

The wheelbase is longer on the Maxima, so its not the same "chasis". And its also wider. (Wheelbase Altima 110.2 vs Maxima 111.2 ) Oh, only a inch? -Overall length 192.3 193.5
-Overall width (without mirrors) 70.4 71.7
Overall height (with roof rack) 57.9 58.3

All in all, you could get a cheaper car with the Altima. Cheaper...in more ways than just $$$$. I bet there are more sold than the Max. Wait a minute??? isn't t this a Max forum?
Old 10-18-2004, 09:06 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Actually I get it all the time and it is so annoying. I was at a family party and a neighbor was like, "Did everyone see Chris's new Altima" I'm like, its a "Maxima" THey were like "Oh". Its pretty annoying, but I can honestly see the confusion for people who dont know the details like us. Its hard to compare this confusion to another car lineup but I think it would be fair to say this: altima gets confused with maxima as a volvo s60 gets confused with a volvo s80. Agree?
Old 10-18-2004, 09:13 AM
vqman

Originally Posted by REVOLUTIONZ
so is the Murano, do you see anyone confusing them?

but seriously, they do share some similar lines that would confuse someone who is not an automobile enthusiasts..

imagine your nerd computer friend who collects butterflies.. "Hey Skip, is that a Monarch?"

He'd be all over you on butterfly.org making jokes about how "stupid" you are..
those butterfly collecting geeks!

why do I post when I'm this tired?

-vq

Old 10-18-2004, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by vqman
so is the Murano, do you see anyone confusing them?

-vq
Then again stupidity does run rampant enough for some to mistake the Murano for Maxima. Example: I ran my 99 Honda Accord @ Etown 3 years ago and the dork on the PA called it a Mitsubishi Galant....fast forward 2 years when I ran my 02 Max @ Etown some other dork referred to it as a Mitsu Galant on the PA as well. WTF??

Just know, the idiots out there outnumber the rest of us. Peace.
Old 10-18-2004, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by maximage
Huh? They are unibody; no chasis. I know...you meant that..

Doing a comparison on Nissan's site, there is some misleading numbers out there. The first is a 2005 Altima 3.5SE "requires" Premium Unleaded to achieve its HP rating of 250HP. The Maxima does not need Premium fuel.
The Maxima only has .4 more cu.ft of space though. (Interior passenger volume (cu. ft.)103.2 vs 103.6 )

The wheelbase is longer on the Maxima, so its not the same "chasis". And its also wider. (Wheelbase Altima 110.2 vs Maxima 111.2 ) Oh, only a inch? -Overall length 192.3 193.5
-Overall width (without mirrors) 70.4 71.7
Overall height (with roof rack) 57.9 58.3

All in all, you could get a cheaper car with the Altima. Cheaper...in more ways than just $$$$. I bet there are more sold than the Max. Wait a minute??? isn't t this a Max forum?
Thanks for the correction....
Old 10-19-2004, 07:15 AM

I get it alot especially since my wife has an 05 Altima (2.5S). People are always like Oh you two have matching cars. I'm like no, hers is an Altima and mine is a Maxima. They always ask what is the difference and I tell them put them both on a starting line and you'll see when the light turns green.
Old 10-22-2004, 08:41 PM

I TOTALLY AGREE WITH YOU!!!! Now you know why I made the post. Thought I was the only one who was going through this.

I have a mx04 and love it still (over a year now) but the more altimas's I see ... I really see them as maximas.. looks wise (first glance)..... (and note I drive a max) although when I do see a Maxima... I never see it as an Altima!!!!
Old 10-22-2004, 10:51 PM

My cousin has an 04 Black SE with tints and I myself see some similarities b/w my Altima and his Maxima.. Some people even confuse the 2 of our cars when we are together. Like for instance, if we both go out in my car and someone gets in, they ask the ridiculous question, "Why are you driving your cousin's car ?" I must say that from a distance in the front they can be confused by someone who doesnt know too much abour cars. Even my mother confuses them. She called me the other day and said that her friend at work got the same car I had but her's had 2 sunroofs
Old 10-31-2004, 11:40 PM

Originally Posted by MaxMus
When I told my colleague at work I was ordering a Maxima, he told me I should have just gotten the Altima since they look the same.
Did you kick them in the nads when they said that???

I have a 99 and a 00. I want to trade the 99 for an 05... so, I see the resemblence, then again, they are both Nissans. Look at the Hondas, sometimes it seems to me like they all share the same headlights. With that said, people are stupid and they don't pay attention to cars like we obviously do. Otherwise, we would be watching tv than talking about our cars. Some folks just don't get it... I wonder, is there a taurus.org... that would be interesting.
Old 10-31-2004, 11:43 PM

Originally Posted by gh0st
I get it alot especially since my wife has an 05 Altima (2.5S). People are always like Oh you two have matching cars. I'm like no, hers is an Altima and mine is a Maxima. They always ask what is the difference and I tell them put them both on a starting line and you'll see when the light turns green.
That's funny... These are also the same people that say a stereo is just a stereo and they don't need a fancy Bose to enjoy their Wayne Newton cd's.
Old 11-01-2004, 05:19 AM

Originally Posted by ThunderMaxi
I wonder, is there a taurus.org... that would be interesting.
If that were true, I bet 9 out of 10 threads on there would be about transmission failure
Old 11-01-2004, 02:23 PM
meh

Originally Posted by ThunderMaxi
I wonder, is there a taurus.org... that would be interesting.

HAHAHA.....funny you should mention that

www.tauruscarclub.com

I'm sure there's alot of tranny threads, and a wheel upgrade is buying chrome Sable wheels (no joke, lots of ppl do it), and they actually name their cars things like Bruce, Elton, Blackout Jr. and so on.....
Old 11-01-2004, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by Maxceler8
HAHAHA.....funny you should mention that

www.tauruscarclub.com

I'm sure there's alot of tranny threads, and a wheel upgrade is buying chrome Sable wheels (no joke, lots of ppl do it), and they actually name their cars things like Bruce, Elton, Blackout Jr. and so on.....
The Taurus SHO used to have more HP, than the Mustang back in the day and was stick....Yahaha engine did have a few problems though. Was pretty expensive for a Taurus though.

Quick Reply: Does anyone mistake your Maxima for an Altima?