6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.
View Poll Results: Shimmy in 2004 or 2005 Max?
Shimmy with 2004 Max
40.65%
No Shimmy ever with 2004 Max
34.15%
Shimmy fixed with 2004 Max
8.94%
Shimmy with 2005 Max
4.07%
No Shimmy ever with 2005 Max
12.20%
Shimmy fixed with 2005 Max
0%
Voters: 123. You may not vote on this poll

TeH SHIMMY thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2004, 08:02 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

MSOE and Real411, Thanks for your assistance. My original dealership will apparently have an "expert" look at my car to have it fixed. I've heard that before. I ensured that the general manager was made aware of the problem because that was Nissan indicates I should do. I've also called the 1-800 # as stated previously. Next step will be the BBB hotline or the CT Lemon Law. My choice.

MSOE, I'll contact you later this week to discuss any possible solutions.
Real411, I understand your dilema. Good luck.
Old 12-29-2004, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by maximage
Agreement 100%.

Most folks don't understand that when you buy a new car, the tires on them are not "A" grade. Meaning that they are as cheap as can be. They may be good, but they are not the same grade that you but from a tire store (best (only place I'll go to BTW) store near me is R.W. Tire in Bordentown NJ). So think about this: 1 million cars sold times 5 tires equals five million tires. And what if they make a million cars of the model in one year. You think they crank out the highest quality tire for that car manufacturer to purchase? No way. It like bidding on sneaker sales to China- you are not giving them the best grade that you make your money off of, you are selling for volume so you make pennies on the dollar. You won't want to invest anymore QC than needed on the volume sales. Its the A-grade tires that you make the $ to speciality dealers on.

Look at your car invoice for the tire cost. Five tires MSRP is like $120. For 5 tires !!! And you and I know that a good set of radials are $120 EACH!

So yes, buy the best "shoes" you can, and at a reputable, up-to-date tire place. And don't insult them by getting the treads online to save $50 and have them install it.

"You get what you pay for"
Maximage...not sure about the 2004, but I have a 2005 SE and it has Goodyear Eagle RS-A P245/45R18 with a V rating. Didn't see what the dealer paid, but I know these tires were not 120 bucks for a set of 4 regular and a the spare. Tirerack.com has them listed at 199 dollars a piece...so I guess I wondering did you 04' come with some real cheap tires? 120 bucks seems a little low for tires on a car with quit a few ponies under the hood. Not saying that Nissan is going to put on the best, but their not the worst....

Jimbo
Old 01-03-2005, 09:47 AM

took my car to the Nemet Nissan dealer, Jamaica, Queens. They told me it was the after-market tires. I expected this. Nothing I can do. I need to put stock wheels back on and bring to dealership, in order to get this fixed. This sucks!
Old 01-05-2005, 10:03 PM
AtlantaMaxima

Bringing my 04 Maxima for a second attempt at the shimmy problem. Will request to get steering rack damper replaced with the 2005 model part. We'll see what happens.
Also want my rotors replaced as they were turned by the first dealer and actually created a bad vibration problem when using the brakes.
we'll see what happens!

Old 01-06-2005, 10:12 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I've had my 04 SE in the shop about 8 times at 3 dealers. Goodyear used Hunter RoadForce machine twice and they say tires are good. Dealer in Huntsville, AL had the Hunter machine and they got the tires to "4"s on all 4 tires. They say this is GREAT. No change in my shimmy! I went and drove SL & SE '05 MAX and both had a shimmy at 55-65 mph. Nissan has not fixed anything. Still trying to get Nissan rep Erika to call me back. Dealer says Nissan's "FIX" line says this is an "acceptable characteristic" of the car. Not acceptable to me!!!
Old 01-07-2005, 03:13 PM
AtlantaMaxima

Ok, got my car today! I have to admit the service experience was excellent.

Why? Because right off the bat, the service rep told me he was well aware of the problem and he also knew about the TSB and he knows it doesn't fix the shimmy. Nevertheless, he performed the work, and this is what they did for me:

1- Found rotors to be warped out of max. tolerance(last dealer turned the rotors and ruined them). Got them replaced under warranty, no questions asked
2- Balanced tires with Hunter GSP machine and performed road force test. He said the tires were way out of balance. (last time they got serviced was in May of 2004).

3- Replaced skyview roof. Now I gotta watch out for leaks though.

All of that under warranty and they gave me a rental for one day. The work was done and the car was ready the next day.

The shimmy is gone, although I know it will be back. The advise I got from the service rep was to file a complaint with Nissan customer care and let them know I have the shimmy problem on my car. This is so when my warranty runs out (got 6k miles left on it) the problem will still be fixed when the permanent fix is released. My service rep did not specify a date but he did say they were on a waiting list for the "parts". He has several other maximas waiting on it

Supposedly, Nissan Engineers are working on the problem and they are going to release new replacement parts that will solve the problem. I'm not sure which parts exactly but I was told it's supposed to happen soon.

Old 01-08-2005, 02:19 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Different Nissan stories

Looks like your dealer is telling you something different than mine. I was told by my dealer nothing was being done about the shimmy. I have a fax that says dealer talked to a "Jackson" with the Nissan FIX line. Hope something is being done about this issue, but it sounds like not everybody at Nissan is telling same story! Not surprising!
Old 01-09-2005, 09:14 PM

Here's what happened with mine, i posted in another thread, but here it is here.

I highly suggest you file a complaint with BBB Autoline. I first tried to contact Nissan in writing, however when I called a month later they said they never recieved the letter, then I filed with BBB Autoline the same day the Nissan rep told me they didnt get the letter (that was sent registered mail and was verified received). BBB sends you a request for documentation that you own the vehicle and also has you describe all the problems.

The Nissan rep that I first spoke with about the letter called me 5 times and told me first we need to get the car in to be repaired (I never took the car in because of one thing he said to me when I asked how often does Nissan buy cars back and how many days do they need to be in the shop? He answered, "I am not going to tell you how Nissan plans to defend itself against legal action taken towards us" Which made me realize even though he is a "customer service rep" he doesnt have the customer in his mind.)

I send the BBB all the info and about a month later they said Nissan responded to my claim and are willing to give me $2000 customer loyalty check for one final chance to fix my car. I already received the check, I am taking my car in this coming Tuesday and Nissan is flying some master technician out to do the repairs. Also my service manager I've been dealing with along the way called me last week and told me Nissan HQ ordered a new steering wheel and a steering rack for my car (and they havent even looked at the car yet! I guess Nissan knows where the problem is!).

Taking it in day after tomorrow. will let you all know if the shimmy is fixed once and for all.

It looks like Nissan particpates in the BBB Autoline in most states, and all it does is lets Nissan know you mean business and I cant argue with the $2000. However of course if the car ends up being repurchased I get the value -2000. I highly suggest this to people still dealing with the infamous shimmy. My car had been in 7 times, 4 of which were exclusively for the shimmy. At least give it a try it doesnt take too much time.
Old 01-10-2005, 07:23 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I'm still having the same problem - shimmy in the steering wheel. The dealership also indicated to me that a "technical engineer" would be necessary to resolve this problem.

Real 411, I don't believe $2,000 was enough to let them resolve your problem. Clearly, they have a problem that will ultimately cost more if in fact the Maxima needs to be replaced. I really do hope that your Maxima gets fixed, however.

I'm in the process of filling out my Lemon Law paperwork, but it's taking me a bit of time since I've been to the dealership so much. There's a great deal of documentation that I need to account for. I should have it all set in a couple of days.
Old 01-13-2005, 01:11 PM

why not take them to court to have them fix it permanently or give you a new car.
Old 01-14-2005, 05:15 PM

I would say if you are really unhappy and they cannot fix it keep fighting. I fought for the last year on my 2004 Maxima SE and won my lemon law case (lawyer involved & 10 repair tickets later) but at least Nissan finally broke.
Old 01-15-2005, 02:01 PM

cfs630,
how much did the lawyer cost you? was it for the shimmy too?
Old 01-15-2005, 06:35 PM

Yes, it was for the shimmy/vibration in the steering ranging from 45-65 mph. I used 1-800-MY-LEMON and I am in NJ. They handle NJ/PA only I believe. I paid $0.00 out of pocket for the whole process start to finish (1 yr).

The website is http://www.mylemon.com/ if you want to check it out.
Old 01-17-2005, 11:33 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Ok, I'm a little hacked off at the dealer. I have a shimmy at 45-60 or so mph, and I just spoke with the dealer... they said that they have no balancing equipment to balance wheels (they rotated them at 15K; now 18K), and that I would have to pay for this TSB out of my own pocket.

Does this make sense? The dealer doesn't have the equipment to balance wheels, and that I'll have to pay for this TSB to be applied? This totally threw me since the TSB calls for balancing with the Hunter... Should I try to have the wheels balanced somewhere else first?

Thanks!
Old 01-17-2005, 08:53 PM
SuPeRmOd

if dealer soesn't have on-site equipment, they need to refer you to who they use (private garage).

What are your miles? If your warranty is expired, then TSB will have to be paid for. TSB only says how to fix something it is not a recall. Even if your miles are too high, I would consult another dealer (if possible) and/or contact Nissan to help you. Hopefully such a notorious problem may be serviced after warranty if they feel nice or you can make them.
Old 01-17-2005, 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by NismoMax80
if dealer soesn't have on-site equipment, they need to refer you to who they use (private garage).

What are your miles? If your warranty is expired, then TSB will have to be paid for. TSB only says how to fix something it is not a recall. Even if your miles are too high, I would consult another dealer (if possible) and/or contact Nissan to help you. Hopefully such a notorious problem may be serviced after warranty if they feel nice or you can make them.
I have just under 18,000, so there is no way that they should make me pay for this TSB to be applied. He did, however, recommend to me a local shop who could balance the wheels.

I have always had terrible service from this dealer (and it has a reputation of being terrrible); unfortunately, the next nearest Nissan dealer is 2 hours away.

How should I proceed?
Old 01-17-2005, 09:35 PM
SuPeRmOd

I really feel for you, seriously. Man that is tough. If you go through with contacting Nissan and filing complaints, they may be even more bitter towards you.

Personally, might call 2 hour dealer if they could serve you better (somehow help with the commute to gain your business:rental, shuttle) but doubtful. I would contact Nissan and ask how they feel you should go about this. Include how before you complain about this Dealer, what do I do if they lower my service quality even more due to this phone call (privacy issue)? If you get some assurance and feel you want to proceed, tell Nissan about the charge for TSB, will not balance for me, reputation for terrible service, etc. Maybe you can find an Infinity? There is even a Ford/Nissan dealer near me, confusing, but an option.

Tough and sad, but do what you have to. My last resort would to become indignant, complaining loudly in the show room on a day full of potential customers demanding service. Only if I was at my wits end.
Old 01-18-2005, 10:03 AM

i really feel bad for all you guys. i have had 1 3rd gen and 2 4th gen and never had this sort of problem. i hope nissan comes up with a permanent solution for this problem and that all of you guys get some satisfaction.
its terrible that you are all fans of the brand/vehicle and are getting stuck with a bad product and even worse customer service trying to deal with the issue.

i have one question. if they supposedly built a better steering rack damper, doesnt that just hide the problem. ie isolates the vibration from the rest of the vehicle.

its like having severe pain in your lower back and the doctor giving you morphine so you dont feel it. all the while the pain itself and its cause are still there.

on a side note i wonder if the tire/wheel assembly are the culprits. many are saying that they are having the wheels balanced and then experiencing a shimmy relativly soon. from my experience working at a tire dealer that sold tires and wheels, i have to wonder if real problem are the tire and wheels themselves.

oem 18inch and 17 icnh wheels are basic cast aluminulm and the tires are usually goodyear eagls rsa and continental ch/cv95.

do any of the 6th gen guys have aftermarket wheels and tires of higher quality in relation to weight (less) and runout. do they have the same problems? you would be surprised how many times i have mounted (or my technicians) a set of new wheels tires put them on the balancer and the weight they needed was outrageous.

in regards to weight, a heavier wheel/tire assembly sometimes is a lot harder to balance properly. for the guys that have 19,20+ that dont have a shimmy i admittedly dont have an answer in the wiehgt issue. because of that i feel it is a quality control issue on the part of nissan (or whoever makes the wheels for them) ,continental and goodyear.

any you guys try (as a test) some other oem wheel tires to see if the problme persists.

(these are questions per se, stuff for you guys to poneder. i am no way saying i am right or that i am the automotive authority)
Old 01-18-2005, 12:05 PM

Is this shimmy issue just with the max or has anyone had this problem with the I35? I have experienced no isues with the I35.
Old 01-19-2005, 03:06 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by DAREN
i really feel bad for all you guys. i have had 1 3rd gen and 2 4th gen and never had this sort of problem. i hope nissan comes up with a permanent solution for this problem and that all of you guys get some satisfaction.
its terrible that you are all fans of the brand/vehicle and are getting stuck with a bad product and even worse customer service trying to deal with the issue.

i have one question. if they supposedly built a better steering rack damper, doesnt that just hide the problem. ie isolates the vibration from the rest of the vehicle.

its like having severe pain in your lower back and the doctor giving you morphine so you dont feel it. all the while the pain itself and its cause are still there.

on a side note i wonder if the tire/wheel assembly are the culprits. many are saying that they are having the wheels balanced and then experiencing a shimmy relativly soon. from my experience working at a tire dealer that sold tires and wheels, i have to wonder if real problem are the tire and wheels themselves.

oem 18inch and 17 icnh wheels are basic cast aluminulm and the tires are usually goodyear eagls rsa and continental ch/cv95.

do any of the 6th gen guys have aftermarket wheels and tires of higher quality in relation to weight (less) and runout. do they have the same problems? you would be surprised how many times i have mounted (or my technicians) a set of new wheels tires put them on the balancer and the weight they needed was outrageous.

in regards to weight, a heavier wheel/tire assembly sometimes is a lot harder to balance properly. for the guys that have 19,20+ that dont have a shimmy i admittedly dont have an answer in the wiehgt issue. because of that i feel it is a quality control issue on the part of nissan (or whoever makes the wheels for them) ,continental and goodyear.

any you guys try (as a test) some other oem wheel tires to see if the problme persists.

(these are questions per se, stuff for you guys to poneder. i am no way saying i am right or that i am the automotive authority)

I have an 05 SE, I put 19 X 8.5 in the front and 19X9.5 in the back, I have had the wheels balanced on the Hunter device and it “reduced” the shimmy, to the point that the weight of my hand on the steering wheel can prevent the shimmy at “almost” all speeds. As was the case with most of the other guys, the dealer claimed to be totally in the dark about this problem…. I was wondering, does any one know if the rotors can cause this problem? Does anyone have aftermarket rotors and the car still shimmy? The dealer not acknowledging the problem is not surprising, the fact that so many of us have tried such a wide array of remedies and STILL have not found a fix ourselves is… watch, in the end, it will probably be some dumb a** thing like a bolt in the suspension that cost $3.00 to replace and takes 30 seconds to fix that is causing this whole thing!!!!!!!!!!

Shimmy fix or bust!
Old 01-19-2005, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by dirtysouthmax
I have an 05 SE, I put 19 X 8.5 in the front and 19X9.5 in the back, I have had the wheels balanced on the Hunter device and it “reduced” the shimmy, to the point that the weight of my hand on the steering wheel can prevent the shimmy at “almost” all speeds. As was the case with most of the other guys, the dealer claimed to be totally in the dark about this problem…. I was wondering, does any one know if the rotors can cause this problem? Does anyone have aftermarket rotors and the car still shimmy? The dealer not acknowledging the problem is not surprising, the fact that so many of us have tried such a wide array of remedies and STILL have not found a fix ourselves is… watch, in the end, it will probably be some dumb a** thing like a bolt in the suspension that cost $3.00 to replace and takes 30 seconds to fix that is causing this whole thing!!!!!!!!!!
did they use hubrings, (hubcentric rings) preferably metal ones??

Shimmy fix or bust!
you swapped your wheels and they were given a good balance job yet the problem persists.

so far the shimmy could be caused by the following

bad wheels/tires
bad struts
bad stearing rack
bad wheel bearings and hubs
weak wheel studs (?)(when the studs flex you feel it as a vibration/shimmy)
uneven wheel lugnut torque
warped rotors(?)
improper torque on various suspension member nuts/bolts(?)
bad tie rod ends

for those of you who have had the wheels balanced by the deal and the problem went away temporarily, how soon did it come back?
Old 01-19-2005, 09:09 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

you swapped your wheels and they were given a good balance job yet the problem persists.

so far the shimmy could be caused by the following

bad wheels/tires
bad struts
bad stearing rack
bad wheel bearings and hubs
weak wheel studs (?)(when the studs flex you feel it as a vibration/shimmy)
uneven wheel lugnut torque
warped rotors(?)
improper torque on various suspension member nuts/bolts(?)
bad tie rod ends

for those of you who have had the wheels balanced by the deal and the problem went away temporarily, how soon did it come back?

Man, I balanced my wheels, (the new ones!) 3 times before I could get it to the point it is at now…. which I would consider tolerable. And prior to getting to this point, I (meaning my tire shop guy) tried several different things… like: 1] different lug combinations 2] re-adjusting the tire on the wheel (several times), I did not know this but evidently every tire has a high and low spot….. the tire shop guy said that for the best balance the goal is to match the high spot on the tire with the high spot on the rim ..??.. could be BS but after several tries the shimmy did “mostly” go away. The thing that really trips me out is that, at least in my car, there is no exact MPH that I consistently feel it ????? Today I was driving down the road at about 55mph with not even a slight shimmy…. Last night same road, 55mph, and I had a slight shimmy???? Whatever it is, I have just come to the conclusion that I will have to live with it for now… I have a friend who has an 04 SL he says that he has just learned to block it out!

the weak wheel studs sound like a real possibility.. has anyone tried to change the studs?
Old 01-19-2005, 11:36 PM

Originally Posted by dirtysouthmax
Man, I balanced my wheels, (the new ones!) 3 times before I could get it to the point it is at now…. which I would consider tolerable. And prior to getting to this point, I (meaning my tire shop guy) tried several different things… like: 1] different lug combinations 2] re-adjusting the tire on the wheel (several times), I did not know this but evidently every tire has a high and low spot….. the tire shop guy said that for the best balance the goal is to match the high spot on the tire with the high spot on the rim ..??.. could be BS but after several tries the shimmy did “mostly” go away. The thing that really trips me out is that, at least in my car, there is no exact MPH that I consistently feel it ????? Today I was driving down the road at about 55mph with not even a slight shimmy…. Last night same road, 55mph, and I had a slight shimmy???? Whatever it is, I have just come to the conclusion that I will have to live with it for now… I have a friend who has an 04 SL he says that he has just learned to block it out!

the weak wheel studs sound like a real possibility.. has anyone tried to change the studs?
what he was doing is called match mounting. if i understand it correctly there are 2 ways to do it.

most new tires have 2 marks for balancing. they are 2 different colors and one represents the weight highspot and the other is the runout highspot.

there is match mounting for runout where they mark the wheel for runout (lowspot) and line it up with the (runout) highspot mark on the tire. the reason they will try to match the 2 marks is so the overall tire/wheel assembly is "more round" therefore less likely to cause a vibration due to being "out of round." imagine driving your car with oblong wheels/tires.

the second method is to find the lightspot (weight wise during rotation) on the wheel and find the marked heavyspot on the tire. this type of matchmounting usually makes it easier to balance the wheels the opposing high/lowspots will cancell each other out so that less balancing weight is required to balance the wheel.
Old 01-20-2005, 09:40 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

what he was doing is called match mounting. if i understand it correctly there are 2 ways to do it.

most new tires have 2 marks for balancing. they are 2 different colors and one represents the weight highspot and the other is the runout highspot.

there is match mounting for runout where they mark the wheel for runout (lowspot) and line it up with the (runout) highspot mark on the tire. the reason they will try to match the 2 marks is so the overall tire/wheel assembly is "more round" therefore less likely to cause a vibration due to being "out of round." imagine driving your car with oblong wheels/tires.

the second method is to find the lightspot (weight wise during rotation) on the wheel and find the marked heavyspot on the tire. this type of matchmounting usually makes it easier to balance the wheels the opposing high/lowspots will cancell each other out so that less balancing weight is required to balance the wheel.
That’s interesting, I’m not the most mechanically inclined guy on this forum… as I’m sure is evident by some of my post .. lol.. but I would be willing to try anything at this point to get rid of this shimmy once and for all! I am going to ask my mechanic if changing the studs would be a big / expensive job… your post that noted that as a potential culprit really makes sense
Old 01-20-2005, 10:40 AM

If you are truely having tons of shimmy problems get in touch with Nissan and ask for a DTS (dealer Techincal Specialist) to take a look at your car. If you have had this problem "fixed" three or more times then go to the sticky about complaints/lemons and go through that process. You need to write a formal letter to Nissan to tell them to fix your car. Some have gone that route and the DTS was not able to fix the shimmy.

I wish that those that have had the shimmy would post their build date and the vin. I wonder if it was a bad batch of cars.

The above balancing process is done by the Hunter balancer that is mentioned in these threads. It's a really cool machine, I watched my mechanic work on my tires with this machine. This is the only one that will find the heavy spot of a tire and have you place the minimum amount of counterbalance weight on the rim.
Old 01-20-2005, 02:07 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

How about "Thereal411" car? Did Nissan finally do any good for you since you last posted? I was hoping that you had some good news.
Old 01-20-2005, 03:27 PM

The steering is to sensitive. Thats the real problem! Every bump, vibration from the road is felt through the steering wheel. I had no shimmy until I let the max sit for a month when I took her out I had a really bad shimmy till the flat spotted tires corrected. shimmy gone! I have a 1991 corolla over the same torrain that steering wheel does not do what the max does no vibration in the steering wheel with the road. My guess if I spit on me maxes wheels I would feel it! DAM sensitive steering wheel>>>......
Old 01-20-2005, 05:36 PM

back to the steering damper theory:

if it truly is a case of the steering/suspension being too sensitive and giving the driver too much feed back, then a better steering damper would solve the problem. that idea leads me to believe that all cars have inherant vibration that is just really well damped.
( i dont know it just doesnt sound right)

also if the steering damper is the cause, then the vibration would isolate itself to the steering wheel. ie your seats shouldnt be shaking.
Old 01-23-2005, 09:40 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I am currently dealing with Goodyear to get my junk RSA's replaced. I found 2 tires with splits (guy said I hit a stick) and 2 without. Goodyear will replace 2 free then prorate 2, only problem is the only have RSA's or Dunlop Sport Maxx (summer only) tires. I am going to try to get money back and buy Contiextreme's. Nissan is CLUELESS and has no idea how to fix this problem and have not been able to tell me if replacing the steering rack and dampener wil help. If tires don't work I plan on having them replace the rims and then start on front end parts. Also everyone should check their lug nuts, my dealer gunned them on with an impact to over 120 ft. lbs. get a torque wrench and check them. I set mine to 70lbs. By the way I just got a 2005 Pathfinder and the balance on the tires is smooth up to 120. Never had a problem w/ my 96 Altima or 96 Max.
Old 01-23-2005, 05:08 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Shimmy & Changing CD or radio using steering wheel

I just registered on the site b/c I had the shimmy problem and it looks like others have had the same problem. 2004 SE Liquid Silver. Purchased May 2003. Had the shimmy problem one time last winter after driving through a lot of snow. Had gone away after I parked and got back in, so I never called the dealer because you know what they will say if the car doesn't do it when you take it in. Did not happen again until today b/c we just got hammered by the blizzard here in North Jersey. Shimmy is worse as you get near 50mph. Feels like the front end is going to fall off. Just got the new struts and new skyview roof last week. Now I have to go back. I have also noticed a problem with trying to change CD tracks or the radio tuner when using the steering wheel control. Works ok when flipping up but tracks will not change when I flip down. Seems like this happens when it is real cold or whenever I use the heated wheel. Anyone else with this problem? I'm starting to get frustrated. Traded my 2000 GLE in for this.
Old 01-24-2005, 06:59 AM

Unfortunately, my experience is the same, DJNVEGAS2003. Shimmy diagnosed as bad front left tire, replaced tire and shimmy went away (in early Nov). There is always a slight shimmy in the morning hours until the suspension gets loose but after about 5 min, it's gone. After this weekend's storm, the shimmy is now back and in full force (noticeable @ 40 mph). It's not even funny how much the steering wheel shakes. While I haven't driven it for about 54 hours and it was exposed to sub-zero tempatures, this should not be happening, unless another tire is bad. I guess it's not outside the realm of possibility but I find it hard to believe. All tires had the same pressure so that wasn't a problem. I'm going to have a friend check it out today and see what he thinks. I have an appt. with the dealer tomorrow so I'll bring it up with them as well. This will be the 4th time I've taken it in so legally, I could call it a lemon. No way a new car, less than 4 months old, should be causing me this much pain. I'll post to this forum again after the dealer visit.

I love the car but I just can't stand this steering wheel issue. I really can't believe it's that hard to figure out the problem (or maybe they have, just costs too much to issue a recall since not every car has this problem). If they're not going to work to fix the issue, then I'll have no recourse but to see if I can either call her a lemon or work with the dealer to see what they can do on a buy-back (for a similar 2005). This is extremely annonying.
Old 01-24-2005, 09:07 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Bablu04, let me know how you make out and likewise here. I'm going to try to get mines to the dealer today.
Old 01-24-2005, 11:03 AM

those of you suffering from a shimmy immediatly after a snow storm or after driving through some snow:

clean the snow off the wheels. any snow that gets stuck in the wheel or behind the spokes will throw the balance way off. this has happened to me many times with my 17 and 16 inch wheels. most times you dont notice because when there is deep snow you cant get up to 40+mph anyway.
Old 01-24-2005, 01:56 PM

Thanks for the common sense advice, Daren. After plowing through my alley after the heavy snow here in Chitown, I got on LSD this a.m. and hit 50 and my steering wheel started to shake like crazy. But after a day at work in the lot and the temp almost above freezing, I made sure my wheels didn't have snow and..totally smooth on the way home.
Old 01-24-2005, 08:15 PM

Hey, guys. Yeah, Daren, I found that out for myself. About 3/4 of my right front wheel was buried in snow this morning and I probably didn't clean it out all that well. When I tried to show a friend of mine the shimmy (after about 3 hours in sunlight and warmer temp), the shimmy was gone. I knew the suspension was sensitive on the Max but didn't know it was that sensitive. Can't believe that's all that was but makes sense. I was driving late Friday night with a temp of about -2F and didn't feel the shimmy so it's more than the cold. At least now, a lot more people know about this. Thanks guys.
Old 01-24-2005, 10:31 PM

the sad part is that there is a shimmy problmem. now with the cold weather it will get worse, especially the SE's with the 18's. sometimes when a tire is out in the cold under the weight of the car it will tend to flatspot until you get sufficient heat back into it. so now you end up hopping on the highway and the first 15 minutes of your drive is on out of round tires that are essentially frozen.
Old 01-26-2005, 11:27 AM

I test drove an SE before I bought my '04 SL. The SE had a terrible shimmy. So far (3 months) no shimmy in my SL. Today I was in my dealership getting my first oil change and was talking to my salesman who told me that the TSB on the shimmy was out. He didn't know what the fix was but it is obviously worth looking into if you have the problem..
Old 02-03-2005, 07:06 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I have an update regarding the shimmy problem that continues to plague my 04 Maxima. I have sent in the appropriate paper work under my state's Lemon Law after following all of the instructions in the owner's manual. Based on the extensive information I provided to my state's consumer protection agency regarding all of the service visits I have made to a couple of local Nissan dealers over the last several months, my state has accepted my case and I will going in for a hearing on this issue. I wanted to inform everyone about this because my state believes there is enough evidence to at least facilitate a hearing with Nissan.

Msoemax provided me with a very good source of information. The book "Return to Sender" by Nancy Barron contained a great deal of information about a resolution to this problem. Other 04 Maxima owners with the same problem should probably read this book and their respective state's Lemon Law to see if they should file a claim, as well.

Even if my state does not see in my favor after the hearing, at least I attempted to resolve this problem.
Old 03-10-2005, 07:49 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I have filed Lemon Law on my first and last Nissan product. I installed 3 sets of new tires of various brands on the car within 5000 miles, 14 tire balances including road force and 2 TSB services have resulted in absolutely no improvement to the vehicle whatsoever. Without a doubt, this is the worst engineered car I have ever possesed. That is one of only many problems with the car. It is obvious that the rack, struts and suspension are poorly designed. I found that I can't even transport 4 people in the car at one time. I could go on and on. Hope this help prevent someone else from purchasing one.
Old 03-10-2005, 08:17 PM

Smimmy and shudder

Folks, my dealer has tried everything. New struts, sway bar link and bushings, machined rotors and a steering rack adjustment. Everytime they road force balance a new set of RSA's the run out is way above 10. The 2 rears are measuring 40. According to Nissan anything above 10 is not good. I've had 3 new sets all completely covered by Goodyear. However, for my 4th set the dealer is convinced that the best solution is to have Nissan pay for 4 new Michelins. Nissan said okay and agreed that I have endured enough. They are letting me get 4 new Y-rated Pilot Sport A/S's, a far superior tire. It has taken 1 1/2 years and 20K miles to conclude this. I have to say the first set was replaced at 11K because of stress cracks, but I never had the shimmy and shudder issue until I got the next two sets. Goodyear admits there are problems with the tires. Also, Tire Discounters has said the same thing. Once I get my new tread I'll let you know if anything changes. If it does I'll finally be convinced it was Goodyear and not Nissan.

If the shimmy and shudder is still present then I guess Nissan is going to have to buy this car back. I know my dealer has got to be sick of me. I know everyone at Nissan Service and at Enterprise on a first name basis.

Did I mention that the shudder/vibration and shimy is so bad that I hate driving the car. It's too bad to ignore! So bad that I'd almost rather drive the crappy Sebring or Caviler they give me as a rental. On another interesting note they gave me a 05 Max once as a rental and it was perfect other than it was an automatic.

Good luck to all!

Quick Reply: TeH SHIMMY thread