6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.
View Poll Results: Shimmy in 2004 or 2005 Max?
Shimmy with 2004 Max
40.65%
No Shimmy ever with 2004 Max
34.15%
Shimmy fixed with 2004 Max
8.94%
Shimmy with 2005 Max
4.07%
No Shimmy ever with 2005 Max
12.20%
Shimmy fixed with 2005 Max
0%
Voters: 123. You may not vote on this poll

TeH SHIMMY thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2005, 07:52 PM

Will Nissan put Michelin Pilots on under warranty??? Took car to Nissan for the shimmy. They fixed it but told me I needed to have all 4 RSA's replaced under the goodyear defect. The Just Tires dealer put the new ones on, balanced them and put all kind of weights on them which I was not happy about. Car was pulling noticeably to the right, took it back to Nissan and they told me one of the new ones had a twisted belt. Just Tires basically said the Nissan dealer was nuts and "cross balanced" them again. No pull to the right but the shimmy is back. So I am at wits end and looking for some alternate routes. Thanks Guys.
Old 06-02-2005, 06:13 AM

Glennjr, I'm getting told the same thing from my service dept. They're blaming a tire. They're supposed to be getting said tire replaced this morning and the tech promised he'd have the car ready by lunch. They had the car all day yesterday and did nothing but move the front tires to the back. I fully expect to take delivery of the car with the shimmy remaining..I don't mean to be construed as a pessimist, I hope they prove me wrong..will update.
Old 06-02-2005, 12:45 PM

Well, I might have jumped the gun and been too pessimistic. I got the car back and was told they "force balanced" all tires and mounted the bad tire on the back. I am to bring the car back on Tuesday when they should have the replacement tire in. On the drive home, noticed only a hint of shimmy, nothing like what it was before. The steering wheel didn't seem to shake at all. Maybe this is a mild case. Will update again after replacing tire...
Old 06-02-2005, 02:10 PM

Twin,

This is the exact scenario i had. Make sure when the "new" tire comes in you have Nissan balance it. I made the mistake of having a company called "Just Tires" do mine as they were an authorized Goodyear dealer. Shimmy is back.
Old 06-02-2005, 04:03 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hmm, you guys have me worried now. I just joined the forum yesterday, for something totally different. Rear deck rattles. I thought my shimmy was just from crappy Colorado roads. I've had my 04 SE since Feb of 04 and noticed it at around 10k miles. I only have 12.6k on it now. My 2000 SE did it, also. I'll make an appointment for a balance and see if it's the car or just me being a bad driver and not avoiding potholes well. (stupid cell phones) Will keep you posted.

Any terms you guys recommend using with the service guys? TSB? Whatever that means...
Hunter 9500/9800?
I'm a little scared to take it in, because from the looks of all the posts, I could make it worse.

I also get the brake wabble at high speeds, I'm hoping that is just warped rotors from running through puddles with hot brakes. The 2000 did this as well. Although the 2000 was alot worse then the 04.

Sevice departments are such a hassle, I wish they would pick the car up and drop it off when it's done!
Old 06-03-2005, 03:14 PM

SHIMMY is now a SHImmy, not quite a shimmy

Someone once said that the car may need a break in period for some things to work themselves out, I think they have it half right. My car started off with a SHIMMY, brand new. They replaced a bad right front tire but the SHIMMY was still there. As I have put another 1,500 miles on the car it is now a SHImmy. It has lessened but not disappeared, its a medium sized shimmy. I do feel like it needs to have the road force balance and I will make sure they use the hub adapter and not the cone for this test, that way it will be a real world balance. I have noticed a slight hollow sound from the right front when I hit certain bumps, is this the dreaded bad strut monster? How can I tell if the strut is bad before I take the car to the shop? Will it be leaking fluid at the seal?
Old 06-05-2005, 08:49 AM

http://www.hunter.com/pub/product/balancer/index.htm

I've posted this last year... These tires can only be balanced with the HUNTER...

All problems solved.. JUST find a place that has this equipment... !!!!
Old 06-05-2005, 11:47 AM
The "Other" project

to glennjr,
After my second set of RSA's (=junk) the nissan field rep came and agreed to replace the tires with Michilen Pilot Sport AS. These tires are head and shoulders above the Goodforayears, they have EXCELLENT traction and overall performance ( a must with the 6spd.......) now if I could only get rid of the vibration..........
Old 06-09-2005, 07:42 PM

Sorry to bring this old thread back yet again, but I did want to update as promised and say that replacement tire FINALLY came in, took the car in today, had it back before 5... new tire was mounted and force balanced and shimmy is now gone, knock on wood. Rides smooth as glass now. With crossed fingers, we motor on.
Old 06-11-2005, 12:04 PM

Poll needed- With the Shimmies do you have power or manual tilt/telescope?

I have the power tilt/telescope and I have the shimmies. If I push down hard on the wheel at highway speed I do not feel the shimmies; although I still feel my not quite balanced front tire. Has anybody else experienced anything like this? Does the manually adjusted tilt/telescope feel loose or are they tighter? I don't know if this would be addressed with a beefier dampener, it feels like it has extra play at the joint where the tilt/telescope is. I will have them check this next week when I take mine in. Thoughts?
Old 06-17-2005, 06:55 PM

My5thMax,

My tires are always balanced with the Hunter. Works at first, but after a 1000 or so miles the problems return. Everytime I take it back in the dealer claims the tires are bad. Of course when the new tires come in and they balance them they are perfect. My vibration is back and I'm afraid I'll be in to my 6th set now. No way it can be the tires again. It's someting in the car doing this to the tires. Have never had this issue with any car before. My 93 T/A ran better at 100 (very planted and smooth) than this car does at 60. Hell, my mom's 02 Hyundai Elantra at 60 to 70 even seems more planted to the road and is much smoother). I just don't get it. The vibration is flat out unnerving.
Old 06-22-2005, 08:02 AM

The ride will be smooth after it is balanced, etc. But that will eventually disappear. It's only good for a short period of time until it gets back to it's normal shimmy. Twin, write back after 1000 miles or 2.

The dealer will always point blame on the tire- simply because they don't want to fix anything on the car. They will always try to get you to think it's the tire, so the fix will be from the tire company. That's their game!

If there is a solution, Nissan doesn't know about it. Nor will fixing everything under the sun within the wheel hubs. Does this happen with other Nissans? If so, there is something very wrong with the manufacturing. In the future, I think I may move up in grade: BMW or Benz. Bentley in another life.
Old 06-22-2005, 08:09 AM
Nations 1st 6th Gen Turbo

The shimmy is just another one of those WTF features of the Nissan Max. Since I only feel my shimmy at 60 mph, I keep it at 70...
Old 06-22-2005, 04:14 PM
The "Other" project

Just an up on the shimmy issue, some of you may already know. When speaking to my DTS from Nissan today he said that there is a heavy steering wheel/ light rack avaiable for severe cases of shimmy. He also said that the steering was designed to have driver input as part of the steering balance ( ie minimal shimmy with BOTH hands on the steering wheel) Just wanted to pass the info along..
Old 06-22-2005, 04:17 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by daves04smoke
Just an up on the shimmy issue, some of you may already know. When speaking to my DTS from Nissan today he said that there is a heavy steering wheel/ light rack avaiable for severe cases of shimmy. He also said that the steering was designed to have driver input as part of the steering balance ( ie minimal shimmy with BOTH hands on the steering wheel) Just wanted to pass the info along..
Thanks Dave! I will ask about it tomorrow with my DTS.
Old 06-23-2005, 10:54 AM

Sounds like BS to feed you, so that you feel better. What car requires you to grip a steering wheel tighter, so you don't feel a shimmy as much??!!!
Old 06-23-2005, 03:10 PM
Banned

Interestingly enough, Im noticing the shimmy has pretty much stopped happening.
Old 07-06-2005, 02:25 PM

2001 Nissan Altima Loaner with 94,000 miles....

Guess what? No friggin shimmy. How does one explain this?

I dropped of my wife's 05 Pathfinder LE for some service before my trip to Hilton Head Island and they gave me a 2001 Nissan Altima with 94,000 (and the smell of a carton of cigarettes) and the steering was tight, no shake or shimmy.

I am now under the belief that Nissan thinks us Max owners are weak and they overboosted the power steering and now its too loose at highway speeds and allows for too much play and road feedback in the steering column. The balancing and rotating the tires is all BS; its got to be.

Also, my service director told me that he just spoke to his area's DTS and the DTS told him that before he uses the Hunter to road force balance the tires they need to drive them to warm them up....... duh, doesn't he read the TSB's before he services a car. He also confirmed that they are looking into the rack and the rear linkage from the Altima SE-R as possible solutions.

How much is it to replace the components that make up the power steering rack with something with more substance? Anybody? Maybe I'll swap out the steering rack of the 01 Altima with my 04 Max. I can't wait for a recall on this.

How can my loaner Altima have better steering than my $31,000 04 Max? My steering has play in it at highway speeds, not like this Altima which felt very solid and sure in which direction it was going... straight.
Old 07-09-2005, 01:52 PM
Banned

Since this will be an ongoing saga.....

Does anybody have the manual tilt/telescoping wheel? I have the electronic, as do most maximas...just wondering if this matters at all. Perhaps the manual one locks in better (ive felt how tight it locks the wheel in) and since its such a minor shimmy maybe this is what it is?

So, If you dont have an electronic tilt wheel and still have shimmy, post it, im curious to know.

Lastly, this might sound silly, but does everyone drive with both hands on the wheel or one? I drive with one hand on the wheel and feel the little bit of shimmy...If I grip it with both hands (as Im supposed to anyway) it kills the shimmy.
Old 07-09-2005, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by 04BlackMaxx
Since this will be an ongoing saga.....

Does anybody have the manual tilt/telescoping wheel? I have the electronic, as do most maximas...just wondering if this matters at all. Perhaps the manual one locks in better (ive felt how tight it locks the wheel in) and since its such a minor shimmy maybe this is what it is?

So, If you dont have an electronic tilt wheel and still have shimmy, post it, im curious to know.

Lastly, this might sound silly, but does everyone drive with both hands on the wheel or one? I drive with one hand on the wheel and feel the little bit of shimmy...If I grip it with both hands (as Im supposed to anyway) it kills the shimmy.
I'm with you on this, I have exactly the same findings.
Cheers.
Old 07-09-2005, 03:10 PM

I am sending my lemon letter next week thanks to the shimmies. It will be their 4th attempt to fix the shimmy. First 2 times they did the hunter balance and the 3rd time they had a Nissan engineer come in and adjust the steering gear. That worked for about 2k miles. Not to mention all the other crap I have dealt with on my Max. Mine must have been built on a production Saturday when everybody comes in hungover!

I love the car but at this point I feel like I am driving my dads old 79 Ford Fairmont! I want it resolved by being fixed but if not an 05 or 06 model would be nice. Who knows what will happen.
Old 07-12-2005, 01:16 PM

machined rotor

i had my rotors machined and the problem went away
Old 07-12-2005, 08:24 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I have had my maxima in twice for the shimmy problem. The dealership has been fixing it by tightening the bolt on the rocker arm. This has fixed the problem, and I have a nice tight steering wheel too.
Old 07-13-2005, 07:39 AM
Nations 1st 6th Gen Turbo

Replacing my tires and having them properly balanced made my shimmy go away. EXCELLENT...
Old 07-14-2005, 07:05 AM

i just put 20" wheels on the car and the shimmy did not go away. It did not get worse, nor better. I know the ride gets worse with wheels but the shimmy should go away(right?)...anyway i cannot bring it to the dealer now b/c they will use the excuse that there are aftermarket wheels on the car...plus I am out of warranty...what should I do
Old 07-14-2005, 07:10 AM

anyone also notice that the shimmy gets increasingly worse when accelerating...when I give it gas, it gets worse...it also gets better when I have all the windows open...sounds impossible but true...
Old 07-14-2005, 09:11 AM

Has everyone found that replacing your times and getting them properly mounted/balanced has fixed this issue? I'm really starting to notice it, mostly on the highway. I can only feel the shimmy a little when I'm accelerating or driving at a steady speed, but once I put the breaks on the wheel starts shaking like crazy.

I want to get new tires anyway, so I'm wondering if replacing them will fix this issue, since getting my car in for service is like pulling teeth. They will only take me Monday through Friday, 7:30am to 9:30am for a waiting appointment, and I work Mon-fri 8-4, so that kind of sucks. Asked for a weekend and they told me no way.
Old 07-14-2005, 09:18 AM

but if it was a tire issue, wouldnt it be fixed when i put the 20" tires and rims on?...which leads me to believe it is somewhere in the suspension...
Old 07-14-2005, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by 04MaxOfNYC
but if it was a tire issue, wouldnt it be fixed when i put the 20" tires and rims on?...which leads me to believe it is somewhere in the suspension...
Sweet talk your dealer into tightening the steering rack or put the heavy rack assembly on. This will mask the vibration that is coming from the real problem...either an out of round tire or a rotor issue. People have had both of these things cause the shimmy. Anything causing any type of vibration WILL transmit back through the cabin and or steering wheel. The 2005s have the heavy wheel/rack assembly and do not have as many issues.
Old 07-14-2005, 08:13 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I've had my wheels balanced and then road force tested using the GSP9700 or whatever, but that only decreased the shimmy temporarily. What is this heavier steering rack that you are speaking of? Is this mentioned in any TSB? BTW, since I am out of the 12K warranty my dealer says that I must pay for applying the shimmy TSB (had to pay for road force test, which is understandable).

Thanks
Old 07-14-2005, 08:17 PM

being that im out of warranty, any idea how to tighten this steering rack...i work for a mitsu dealer so i could alway try adng et one of my techs to do it...i only have 7 mts left on the car so i dont wanna put in a new one(wouldnt make sense)
Old 07-15-2005, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by Monotaur
I've had my wheels balanced and then road force tested using the GSP9700 or whatever, but that only decreased the shimmy temporarily. What is this heavier steering rack that you are speaking of? Is this mentioned in any TSB? BTW, since I am out of the 12K warranty my dealer says that I must pay for applying the shimmy TSB (had to pay for road force test, which is understandable).

Thanks
My DTS said that the 05s (I think after the first few thousand) were built with a modified steering rack. daves04smoke has made reference to it and I confirmed it with my DTS. You can also have the torque in the steering column adjusted, but I don't know exactly how to do it. If you are having trouble getting a dealer to do the TSB for the shimmy under warranty, call consumer affairs and open a case. Tell them that you are having this problem and that you believe that you are having it because of engineering problems with the steering rack and suspension and they should be able to make your dealer do the work if you are under the 3/36k warranty.
Old 07-15-2005, 02:35 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by NashMax
My DTS said that the 05s (I think after the first few thousand) were built with a modified steering rack. daves04smoke has made reference to it and I confirmed it with my DTS. You can also have the torque in the steering column adjusted, but I don't know exactly how to do it. If you are having trouble getting a dealer to do the TSB for the shimmy under warranty, call consumer affairs and open a case. Tell them that you are having this problem and that you believe that you are having it because of engineering problems with the steering rack and suspension and they should be able to make your dealer do the work if you are under the 3/36k warranty.
Great, thanks for the info!
Old 07-15-2005, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by NashMax

Does anyone know when on the 05 did they go with the heavier steering racks?

TIA,
Old 07-17-2005, 12:00 PM

2-3k produced, I think. Be careful about posting the same Q in multiple threads. Nismo will be all over you.
Old 07-17-2005, 05:53 PM

Thanks for the suggestion!
Old 07-18-2005, 01:39 PM

my 2005 with 4200 miles shimmy's....and 3 trips to the dealer, with nadda and they don't feel it
Old 07-21-2005, 04:15 PM

Some news, and hopefully advice.... I had the shimmy on my 04 MAx... took it to the dealer, they found nothing.... Took it to a friend who owns a car care center... he found both right side rims were bent. He put both on the back of the car, and now there is no shimmy... These 18 inch Alloy wheels bend VERY easily on potholes, and other things. So if your having trouble, tell them to check out your rims, its worth the shot.
Old 07-22-2005, 10:14 AM

update...
I got my 20" wheels and tires re-balanced and the shimmy is not totally gone but 95%
Maybe it was balancing after all
Old 07-22-2005, 02:06 PM

Update....Nissan dealer worked very hard with me and fixed the shimmy...worked long and hard, but they got it!

Quick Reply: TeH SHIMMY thread