6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.
View Poll Results: Shimmy in 2004 or 2005 Max?
Shimmy with 2004 Max
40.65%
No Shimmy ever with 2004 Max
34.15%
Shimmy fixed with 2004 Max
8.94%
Shimmy with 2005 Max
4.07%
No Shimmy ever with 2005 Max
12.20%
Shimmy fixed with 2005 Max
0%
Voters: 123. You may not vote on this poll

TeH SHIMMY thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2005, 12:20 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by BadBlackMaxSL
Ok, I got my car back on Thursday, today is Sunday, and I wanted to drive it for a few hundred miles before I posted the results.

They RFB'd my wheels, twice, and the shimmy and shaking was still there. The service manager was not happy with this since I've been in there so many times for this problem in the 4 months I've owned the car. They decided to put 4 new Conti tires on it and see what would happen, even thought RFB readings were telling them my tires were balanced and true. They drove it and it was "smooth like glass". They called me up and wanted me to drive it before I accepted the car back. All I can say is I fell in love with this car all over again. Now it is the car I always wanted, big, powerful, comfortable AND smooth on the highway!!!
Glad to hear it! You've been through a lot with that car--you deserve the Patience Medal. Do you happen to know what RFV readings you finally wound up with?
Old 09-04-2005, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by BadBlackMaxSL
They RFB'd my wheels, twice, and the shimmy and shaking was still there. The service manager was not happy with this since I've been in there so many times for this problem in the 4 months I've owned the car. They decided to put 4 new Conti tires on it and see what would happen, even thought RFB readings were telling them my tires were balanced and true. They drove it and it was "smooth like glass". They called me up and wanted me to drive it before I accepted the car back. All I can say is I fell in love with this car all over again. Now it is the car I always wanted, big, powerful, comfortable AND smooth on the highway!!!

So I guess the issue for me is, yeah the tires were balanced and didn't have a broken belt or a bent rim but they weren't ROUND and compliant. I know many here have had fresh rubber put on and it didn't solve their problem but luckily for me it has... for now.

Its a beautiful day here in northeast Ohio so I am going outside to wash my Max and take her for a spin.
That is great! I am glad to hear that it seems to be just the tires that your Max needed. Hopefully it will stay that way. Sounds like it drives like a Flagship is supposed to drive!

Funny thing when I bought mine I chose it over another one that shimmied (brand new) on the test drive. That one was probably just flat spotted tires for sitting on the lot too long like yours. I chose mine b/c of the shimmy on the other one. Oh well that’s the way life goes sometimes! Hope it keeps driving like a dream for you.
Old 09-05-2005, 08:36 AM

I didn't get the exact readings on the RFB, I was told it was to factory specs. I was too excited that my car wasn't shaking anymore to ask for the details. Next time I'm in for service on my Max or Pathfinder I will ask for the RFB readings.

I still can't believe that it doesn't shake anymore. I keep taking it out for quick runs on the highway to prove to myself that its fixed.
Old 09-06-2005, 11:19 AM

On your shimmy fix....

I read many owner on The Tire Rack people having ALOT of problems getting those ContieExtremeContacts properly balanced, even so where people had to have them balanced multiple times, RFB'd as well..

Did the dealer say they had any issues with this?

I've had my 04 Max in 3 times for this problem already and bought it used with est 23k on it like 1 1/2 months ago and the service center is saying the tires are feathered (all four) and my issues could be that. I've thought about replacing them as my service center just plain sucks and because i hate these tires...

Keep us posted on these tires as i may end up purchasing them....

Congrats as well!
Old 09-09-2005, 10:44 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I've had this shimmy problem twice w/ my '04 SL. The OE Continentals were road forced balance about six months ago at Maroone Nissan Ft Lauderdale, and it went away. I replaced these tires with the same OEs about a month ago. I bought the tires thru Tire rack, used Gemini Service Center (Good Year) to mount and balance them and found out they don't use Road Force equipment because the awful shimmy came back with the new tires, too!

I took it to Good Roads in Ft Lauderdale ((954)771-4508) about 2 hours ago. They road force balanced them perfectly, and now the steering wheel doesn't move a hair at highway speeds! SWEET!!!

My take: These OE rims are "very sensitive" to balancing. Make certain you get a road force balance when you have an issue. You may have to go to a different shop, because I found one in between Gemini and Good Roads that didn't road force them properly. It was a Shell station that uses Hunter road force balancing equipment, too, and I went back there twice for re-balancing that never helped. I guess there are tire techs out there that don't know how to use the Hunter road Force equipment properly.

Good luck, all! If you live in South Florida and are having the shimmy issue. Try going to Good Roads.
Old 09-09-2005, 12:14 PM

New or Used?

I bought this 2004 Maxi SE i owe right now on July 27th of this 2005 with 23xxx miles on it... It has the 3/36 mile warranty on it, so.. my question...

When the tech told me that these 4 tires (original Eagles) had feathering and after RF'ing them TWICE now, he says that this would not be covered under warranty normally (doing these RFB's) because they didn't know what the previous owner did...

Well..
1) Shouldn't this be covered SOMEWHAT as it's "certified pre-owned"

2) I'm guessing that feathering wouldn't cause shimming at 40-60mpg (usually at 55mph).. no?

3) Would any of the Nissan Dealers you've dealt with atleast have swapped the tires out to actually isolate the problem as the tires and not something else?

I asked about the dealers swapping out tires first because they said i'd have to get the service manager to approve this swap out of them....

I have an appointment this coming Wednesday (14th of Sept) for my 3rd visit about this in less than a month and a 1/2.... Will keep you posted!
Old 09-10-2005, 08:27 AM
* THIS SPACE FOR RENT *

Heath, good roads has balanced my 20"s and still have that god awful shimmy on 4 different occasions so im not sure if its just the stock contis or stock wheels but i hate that shimmy and have tried everything to get rid of it thats why i bought rims and tires besides coral springs nissan did all that they can do till my 12/12 was up .02
Old 09-10-2005, 08:32 AM
SuPeRmOd

WHOA!! try again with the sig^^^ http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=378729
Old 09-10-2005, 10:30 AM
Banned

I gotta tell ya, the shimmy is the ONLY thing holding this car back in my mind, otherwise its a perfect car in all respects, looks, performance, value...etc. What is so strange that it comes and goes under different conditions in my experience...I think itall boils down to the damn steering being too sensitive...and I unfortunately dont think there is anything that can be done after reading stories on here of ppl going back 50x to a dealer to no avail. I was delighted there was no awful shimmy when I rotated the tires. I know no car is perfect, but this annoyance makes me weary of buying another nissan.infiniti product in the future.
Old 09-10-2005, 10:34 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by heathpisky
I've had this shimmy problem twice w/ my '04 SL. The OE Continentals were road forced balance about six months ago at Maroone Nissan Ft Lauderdale, and it went away. I replaced these tires with the same OEs about a month ago. I bought the tires thru Tire rack, used Gemini Service Center (Good Year) to mount and balance them and found out they don't use Road Force equipment because the awful shimmy came back with the new tires, too!

I took it to Good Roads in Ft Lauderdale ((954)771-4508) about 2 hours ago. They road force balanced them perfectly, and now the steering wheel doesn't move a hair at highway speeds! SWEET!!!

My take: These OE rims are "very sensitive" to balancing. Make certain you get a road force balance when you have an issue. You may have to go to a different shop, because I found one in between Gemini and Good Roads that didn't road force them properly. It was a Shell station that uses Hunter road force balancing equipment, too, and I went back there twice for re-balancing that never helped. I guess there are tire techs out there that don't know how to use the Hunter road Force equipment properly.

Good luck, all! If you live in South Florida and are having the shimmy issue. Try going to Good Roads.
Its nice you can go to Hunter's website and locate shops that use RFB. My tires are not road force balanced (hence my come and go, light shimmy?) Im a thrifty person and hate to pay for a service that yields no benifits, but its nice to know you solved your problems, I will seek out a RFB when I switch to winter tires in a few months, thanks.
Old 09-10-2005, 11:53 AM

Wheel weights...

Is the issue with all of these balancing issues due to the outer wheel weight located on the inside of the wheel with these sticky weights? It appears to me that tire balancing on the most part over the years has not been an extremely technical task...
Old 09-10-2005, 12:33 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by MAXDOUT04
Heath, good roads has balanced my 20"s and still have that god awful shimmy on 4 different occasions so im not sure if its just the stock contis or stock wheels but i hate that shimmy and have tried everything to get rid of it thats why i bought rims and tires besides coral springs nissan did all that they can do till my 12/12 was up .02
Based on what I have seen, 20" rims are only going to make it more difficult to balance the tires because of the distance of the weight from the center. It sounds to me like you first need the steering rack replaced as is being done on "problematic" 04 cases. This is a change that was made on most of the 2005s that are not having near the problems as the 2004s. But if you roll in with 20s on your car you can bet your **** that they will be blamed. Coral Springs did what they had to do to get you to quit complaining about the problem and gave you a lame excuse about 12/12 adjustment period. If you want your car fixed, put your stock rims back on and make them fix it. Don't give up or else it will never get fixed. Get consumer affairs involved if you are unhappy with the service the dealer is giving. Persistence will get you to the people at Nissan that have the power to make things happen. Patience once you get to them will get your car fixed.
Old 09-12-2005, 08:35 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

braking shimmy

Forgot to mention. I've had the rotors resurfaced, replaced, and resurfaced again in the first 2 years of ownership to stop the shimmy in the steering wheel that occurs when braking. I'm sure many of you have had the same issue, and i swear I'm starting to feel that problem coming on again. Otherwise, the car has only had the shifter break-off, the info screen come partially detached, and the headlight burn-out. Any other car and i would have traded it by now, but i actually love THIS car for some reason!
Old 09-15-2005, 08:34 PM

Well, I took the car back into Discount Tire today and had them re-balance the wheels again (Third time now). This time I told them to just rotate my tires. They said that they added an ounce and 3 ounces to one! NO MORE Shimmy! I guess only the front tires were bad. Maybe I can hold out with my newly placed front tires until Nissan firmly acknowledges the issue with our Max's or I have to rotate again.
Old 09-16-2005, 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by Squint
Well, I took the car back into Discount Tire today and had them re-balance the wheels again (Third time now). This time I told them to just rotate my tires. They said that they added an ounce and 3 ounces to one! NO MORE Shimmy! I guess only the front tires were bad. Maybe I can hold out with my newly placed front tires until Nissan firmly acknowledges the issue with our Max's or I have to rotate again.
If one tire/rim took 3-4 ounces to balance it, you have a problem. Don't take no as an answer from a dealer. Make the dealer escalate it if they can't figure out what is going on. The first trip to a dealer for a wheel shimmy should be to check balance and RFV levels of the tires if all good then adjust the rack friction in the steering rack. I repeat, this should be one (the first) trip. If the problem persists, it needs to be escalated to Consumer Affairs. If you have low RFV tires and a properly torqued steering column, 99% of the time the problem will improve or go away.
Old 09-18-2005, 08:28 AM

Update on my trip to the dealer!

Originally Posted by majestic_maxi
I bought this 2004 Maxi SE i owe right now on July 27th of this 2005 with 23xxx miles on it... It has the 3/36 mile warranty on it, so.. my question...

When the tech told me that these 4 tires (original Eagles) had feathering and after RF'ing them TWICE now, he says that this would not be covered under warranty normally (doing these RFB's) because they didn't know what the previous owner did...

Well..
1) Shouldn't this be covered SOMEWHAT as it's "certified pre-owned"

2) I'm guessing that feathering wouldn't cause shimming at 40-60mpg (usually at 55mph).. no?

3) Would any of the Nissan Dealers you've dealt with atleast have swapped the tires out to actually isolate the problem as the tires and not something else?

I asked about the dealers swapping out tires first because they said i'd have to get the service manager to approve this swap out of them....

I have an appointment this coming Wednesday (14th of Sept) for my 3rd visit about this in less than a month and a 1/2.... Will keep you posted!

Well I pull it in to the garage and the tech asks what the problem is.. once again.. told him the Shimmy issue! He tells me there's nothing he can do at this point as "it's the feathering of the tires" and they've RFB'd it twice now and it comes back a few days later... I ask him how he knows this without changing the tires out to isolate the issue AS the tires?!!!! His answer was if I were to swap them out and it does it, we can take it from there... what a cr@p answer... so i tell him "so basically you sell me this car, give a handshake with one hand and a tube of KY with the other?!!!!"... he didn't comment on that, but needless to say i'm getting VERY frustrated!... He did recognize the shimmy this time when he test drove it to 65mpg then let it coast down to 55 where you can really feel the shimmy when you don't accelerate.

So in order for me to get the tires exchanged, i have to get it ok'd by the sales manager(s) as the Service Dept can authorize it. My question.. thought i bought this used with 23xxx miles on it...

My questions:

1) is this MY issue as it wasn't new and i/they truly don't know what the previous owner did for maintenance on these tires or is the dealer responsible???
2) Should i take this up with GoodYear (not likely to go anywhere i'm sure) or take it up with the Sales Manager to replace them (not likely to go anywhere either i'm imagining)
3) Go to another dealer?

Any thoughts or ideas on this?????

Thanks again......
Old 09-18-2005, 09:18 AM

My questions:

1) is this MY issue as it wasn't new and i/they truly don't know what the previous owner did for maintenance on these tires or is the dealer responsible???
2) Should i take this up with GoodYear (not likely to go anywhere i'm sure) or take it up with the Sales Manager to replace them (not likely to go anywhere either i'm imagining)
3) Go to another dealer?

Thanks again......
The "Certified Pre-owned" designation entitles you to specific warranty coverage. The dealer should have given you a written copy of it. They have sold you a car that does not function as advertised, so you need to insist upon repair or refund. As for another dealer, some have had better luck by changing dealers. If the selling dealer balks, tell them in a nice way that you don't want to have to call NNA and the BBB, but you will if necessary. My guess is that they'll be more helpful. If not, place those calls. Honestly, some dealers and mechanics really don't know very much about shummyitis...
Old 09-18-2005, 06:10 PM

No shimmy here 2006 MAxxed out MAX lolz gec
Old 09-18-2005, 07:53 PM

Well I pull it in to the garage and the tech asks what the problem is.. once again.. told him the Shimmy issue! He tells me there's nothing he can do at this point as "it's the feathering of the tires" and they've RFB'd it twice now and it comes back a few days later... I ask him how he knows this without changing the tires out to isolate the issue AS the tires?!!!! His answer was if I were to swap them out and it does it, we can take it from there... what a cr@p answer... so i tell him "so basically you sell me this car, give a handshake with one hand and a tube of KY with the other?!!!!"... he didn't comment on that, but needless to say i'm getting VERY frustrated!... He did recognize the shimmy this time when he test drove it to 65mpg then let it coast down to 55 where you can really feel the shimmy when you don't accelerate.

So in order for me to get the tires exchanged, i have to get it ok'd by the sales manager(s) as the Service Dept can authorize it. My question.. thought i bought this used with 23xxx miles on it...

My questions:

3) Go to another dealer?

Thanks again......
The dealer had to put new tires on my 04 Max SL b/c after they RFB'ed the tires twice it still shimmied. The RFB just tells them that the tires are balanced but it doesn't tell them that the tires are ROUND!!!! The flatspots on the tires slap the road each time the wheel goes around and it makes it feel like your tires are square.

I've put almost 1,000 miles on my car since I had the new tires put on and I smile with each passing mile b/c my steering wheel isn't shaking. The right front tire "sings" at speeds greater than 35mph but its better than shimmying. My replaced struts still don't sound right but I'll wait until they blow again, hopefully they will have a replacement of the replacement part or I will go with something aftermarket.

Stand your ground and ask them to swap out the tires as a test.
Old 09-19-2005, 06:16 AM

Originally Posted by lobewiper
If the selling dealer balks, tell them in a nice way that you don't want to have to call NNA and the BBB, but you will if necessary. My guess is that they'll be more helpful. If not, place those calls. Honestly, some dealers and mechanics really don't know very much about shummyitis...

Don't threaaten the BBB if you expect anyone to help as far as service after the sale goes. If you want to call re: deceptive selling practices (certified) go for it, but if you call the BBB about a service problem, Nissan has no choice but to quit communicating with you. You are then locked into driving the car as is (or whatever state you plan on paying to get it to) until a hearing that you have a very slim chance of winning a buyback in. Odds are you would get a final repair order and have driven the car for a year or so with a problem that could have been dealt with up front by not calling the BBB. Call 1-800-Nissan-1 and open a complaint. Be patient and persistent.
Old 09-19-2005, 06:26 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Speak to the General manager of the delaership about this issue. They should have enough profit in your deal to swap out the tires for you for good, or at least do a test w/ another set. Reference the problems you've seen on this site, too.
Good luck!
Old 09-19-2005, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by Spoolin
No shimmy here 2006 MAxxed out MAX lolz gec
Not to spoil your party, but I didn't have the shimmy until about 5000 miles on my 05, but good luck to you.

Originally Posted by NashMax
If one tire/rim took 3-4 ounces to balance it, you have a problem. Don't take no as an answer from a dealer. Make the dealer escalate it if they can't figure out what is going on. The first trip to a dealer for a wheel shimmy should be to check balance and RFV levels of the tires if all good then adjust the rack friction in the steering rack. I repeat, this should be one (the first) trip. If the problem persists, it needs to be escalated to Consumer Affairs. If you have low RFV tires and a properly torqued steering column, 99% of the time the problem will improve or go away.

To clarify, I have not been to the dealer yet for this issue nor I have paid Discount Tire a cent to rebalance my wheels. So far everything is kosher again. If I experience the shimmy again on my 2000 mile trip to Northern California beginning this Wednesday, then I will take it to the dealer.

I had the shimmy before my aftermarket rims, so I don't believe it is coincidence.
Old 09-19-2005, 11:45 AM

I agree with Nash... don't threaten the service or sales manager b/c they are just caught in the middle... remember, they didn't build or design this car, their job is to fix it. You want the service manager as an advocate of your problems b/c he is the one that has to report back to the dealership owner and Nissan about your problem. If he reports that you are someone that is just a pain in the azz they will stand their ground and not give in. If they see you are actively engaged in resolving the issue and you are open to their suggestions etc, then they are more apt to work with you and push Nissan to reimburse them for new tires and their labor charges and any other parts to try and get this resolved. This approach has worked for me for 20 years in dealing with service managers with my cars. I've been at the dealers when an irate customer comes in and rips the service manager for their car problems and after the customer leaves the response from the service manager is "F 'em, ain't my problem" and they will only do the minimum required to try and fix it.
My $.02.
Old 09-19-2005, 06:16 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Great advice from NashMax and BadBlackMaxSL.
Old 09-20-2005, 08:10 AM

Update on Dealer replacing tires!

hopefully to keep this short

Took the salesman who sold me the car for a drive and he felt/seent he shimmy (needed an "eye witness"). He took me inside and while i sat in the lobby, he was behind glass talking to the Sales Manager.

The salesman comes back and tells me they're reluctant to give me new tires, but he mentioned i brought it in no more than 5 days after buying the car I had issues that EXACTLY matched the TSB.

The salesman talks to the Service Directory who blatently came right out and said "he needs new tires, no doubt there!" Soooo... now the salesman, service director AND Sales Manager are talking this over.

The Sales Manager tries to do everything not to swap or buy new ones, he asks "why hasn't nissan done a recall?"... i can give you all my creative answers and his amazing questions in another post... funny actually.

*NOTE!* i was calm and cool throughout this with no mention of going to BBB or a lawyer, just suggested they put more effort put into isolating the problem, than guessing it's the tires.

They decided to swap my tires with another 04 max on the lot, the tires were 'Hankook Sport K104 Ventus'. I agreed to the swap and went and looked that the tread/tires themselves, which they looked almost NEW. They had unidirectional tread, and looked more for sipening water, not a good tire to have here in colorado with the snow.

I asked the Sales Manager to swap them with some comparable all-seasons to the Goodyear RSA's. Didn't want to die in the winter before i could find out if the tires WERE the problem!

Manager DID NOT want to BUY new tires so i suggested swapping with an 05/06 on the lot.. his answer "ohh no! those are NEW tires".. and your point?! The Service Director agreed with my view on the tire for winter and is going to speak with the manager about this...lets see where this goes!

Was i wrong turning down these tires??? Just didn't feel comfortable driving with summer tires/tread in the winter.

However.. Will update Nissan Customer Service with my ongoing file. (the sales associate at the dealer told me to keep calling customer service as they don't like getting called by them)

Sorry this was so long, just trying to let the next person know what i'm going through so he/she can handle it better or whatever it may be if it happens to them!

More to follow!!!!
Old 09-20-2005, 09:51 AM

Question... In my desperate pursuit to get this shimmy issue resolved, working with someone knowlegable and understanding at Nissan Customer Service would obviously be helpful.. Do any of you ONLY speak with one particular rep or just anyone who answers the phone?

If so, would you care to share their name/extension? as on occasion i get someone who is just NOT willing to work with you as sometimes i can't get a hold of the rep i previously spoke to..

Thanks....
Old 09-20-2005, 01:43 PM
The "Other" project

Majestic,
When you call in you will speak to a.......flunkie....yea.... then as you progress you will get a Rep that you will stay in contact with from that point on hopefully you will get a good one like Nashmax has, mine was in a few words....not helpful at all. hope this helps
Dave
Old 09-21-2005, 07:31 AM

Feedback from Nissan Cust Service.

hopefully to keep this short

Took the salesman who sold me the car for a drive and he felt/seent he shimmy (needed an "eye witness"). He took me inside and while i sat in the lobby, he was behind glass talking to the Sales Manager.

The salesman comes back and tells me they're reluctant to give me new tires, but he mentioned i brought it in no more than 5 days after buying the car I had issues that EXACTLY matched the TSB.

The salesman talks to the Service Directory who blatently came right out and said "he needs new tires, no doubt there!" Soooo... now the salesman, service director AND Sales Manager are talking this over.

The Sales Manager tries to do everything not to swap or buy new ones, he asks "why hasn't nissan done a recall?"... i can give you all my creative answers and his amazing questions in another post... funny actually.

*NOTE!* i was calm and cool throughout this with no mention of going to BBB or a lawyer, just suggested they put more effort put into isolating the problem, than guessing it's the tires.

They decided to swap my tires with another 04 max on the lot, the tires were 'Hankook Sport K104 Ventus'. I agreed to the swap and went and looked that the tread/tires themselves, which they looked almost NEW. They had unidirectional tread, and looked more for sipening water, not a good tire to have here in colorado with the snow.

I asked the Sales Manager to swap them with some comparable all-seasons to the Goodyear RSA's. Didn't want to die in the winter before i could find out if the tires WERE the problem!

Manager DID NOT want to BUY new tires so i suggested swapping with an 05/06 on the lot.. his answer "ohh no! those are NEW tires".. and your point?! The Service Director agreed with my view on the tire for winter and is going to speak with the manager about this...lets see where this goes!

Was i wrong turning down these tires??? Just didn't feel comfortable driving with summer tires/tread in the winter.

However.. Will update Nissan Customer Service with my ongoing file. (the sales associate at the dealer told me to keep calling customer service as they don't like getting called by them)

Sorry this was so long, just trying to let the next person know what i'm going through so he/she can handle it better or whatever it may be if it happens to them!

More to follow!!!!

Spoke with Nissan Customer Service on the dealer and the tire swap... One lady transfered me to another rep who seemed "more understanding" than the rest. She seemed to be in agreement with me on getting my tires swapped for something comparable to the all-seasons on there now.
However, to cut THIS one short, my case has been sent to some "regional" rep who is gonna call me back.... I'm hoping this goes well! All this to get a different set of tires.. amazing!... more to follow!
Old 09-21-2005, 11:45 AM

Spoke with Nissan Customer Service on the dealer and the tire swap... One lady transfered me to another rep who seemed "more understanding" than the rest. She seemed to be in agreement with me on getting my tires swapped for something comparable to the all-seasons on there now.
However, to cut THIS one short, my case has been sent to some "regional" rep who is gonna call me back.... I'm hoping this goes well! All this to get a different set of tires.. amazing!... more to follow!
I think the regional rep will be able to get the ball rolling. Apparently, I have lucked out and gotten in touch with the good people at Nissan. Good luck.
Old 09-22-2005, 06:46 AM

Called the Service Director on my tires and he said they're waiting on some 04 Maxi's to come back from auction, possibly this friday, and they'll swap em out wire comparable A/S tires from one of them... I asked again about swapping em with a set from an 05/06 on the lot, once again, "we'd now have a new car on the lot with used tires".... so my thought was "ohhhh ok.. so just sell ME a car with unacceptable tires?! (doesn't matter if it's used or not)" The Director said the tires from the auction should only have 2000/3000 miles on em... We shall see!

For future purposes, on the work order, should i have them state the conditions of the tires as in "no cupping/feathering" so they don't try this cr@p again if by some chance i end up at a new dealer?

Do i need to call Nissan Customer service to add this to my file and should i INSIST on NEW tires or just see if these replacements "resolve my problem"?

Thank God for the ORG!!!!

many thanks to all those who reply to my "issues"
Old 09-22-2005, 10:35 AM

If you have a vibration or other symptom, don't diagnose it yourself. Just keep complaining about the symptoms. With all of the potential vibration problems on these cars, there is NO WAY I would ever accept used tires on my car. If there is abnormal tire wear, whatever was causing it needs to be fixed. In turn, whatever damage was done by the malfunction/defect should be remedied. I think you are focusing way too much on the sympton and not the underlying problem. By the way, 2004 Maxes that people were happy with probably aren't going to be the ones coming back from the auction.
Old 09-27-2005, 05:51 AM

"new" rims and tires tomorrow from the dealer!

Originally Posted by NashMax
If you have a vibration or other symptom, don't diagnose it yourself. Just keep complaining about the symptoms. With all of the potential vibration problems on these cars, there is NO WAY I would ever accept used tires on my car. If there is abnormal tire wear, whatever was causing it needs to be fixed. In turn, whatever damage was done by the malfunction/defect should be remedied. I think you are focusing way too much on the sympton and not the underlying problem. By the way, 2004 Maxes that people were happy with probably aren't going to be the ones coming back from the auction.
Nash... I'm gonna take you're advice and let the dealer run with this one and have them figure it out. Got a call from the Service Director yesterday and I have an appointment for "new" rims and tires to be put on tomorrow. Though these are coming off another car, it's a start. If these tires are cr@p when i get there, they aren't goin on!

Should i take a picture of my old rims and tires on there now for some future purpose? Not sure what for yet, but you never know.

Let ya'll know what happens!! keepin my fingers crossed!
Old 09-27-2005, 06:55 AM
The "Other" project

Majestic,
Keep records of EVERYTHING!! that they do, pics, notes, conversations with everyone involved. You may need them in the future to remind them of what they said would be done compaired to what they did. Do not let your car turn out the way mine has. Just some advice.
Dave
Old 09-27-2005, 05:37 PM

I've had the shimmy for almost a year now... I thought it was the tires and decided to wait for new tires after 3 attempts to fix it. I purchased a set or Yokohamas and had them balance them twice, but still shimmy.... I don't think mine's tire related at all.
Old 09-27-2005, 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by SLuxury
I've had the shimmy for almost a year now... I thought it was the tires and decided to wait for new tires after 3 attempts to fix it. I purchased a set or Yokohamas and had them balance them twice, but still shimmy.... I don't think mine's tire related at all.

Did you have the RFV (road or radial force variance) checked? Were the tire/wheel units checked for "wheel hop" to see whether the tires were mounted centered on the wheels?
Old 09-27-2005, 07:23 PM
SuPeRmOd

majestic_maxi
I, surely as well as others, am very interested in you case. Whatever they offer to swap for you, TEST that CAR before swapping tires. Like Nash said, they may buy auctioned shimmy ones.

This is ridiculous that they are swapping anyway. So they are content with passing your tires onto someone else????

Make sure you're keeping track of all these interactions and phone calls. Hopefully you won't have to lemon, but I would not except anything less than lightly used replacements with a guarantee of shimmy free.

You're actually quite fortunate Nissan is dealing with this. Many would have dismissed you immediately to Goodyear.

I wonder if one day we will be capable of looking back and finally knowing what caused the multiple shimmies.
Old 09-28-2005, 12:09 PM

I am very shocked today.

I sent my letters to Nissan and BBB for my shimmy after the third attempt at repair, and the BBB called today to tell me that Nissan is putting together an offer to just buy back my car now. I am shocked b/c they have not even attempted the 4th attempt as allowed by law. The BBB told me that Nissan feels that they have exausted their possible fixes. Good thing is the buy back will be based off of 10k miles not 20k as it has currently. I actually just want another Max so we will see what happens....

Goin Silver this time Blue is pretty but too hard to keep clean.
Old 09-28-2005, 02:13 PM
The "Other" project

Brew
Congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hope your next car does not have the same issues!!
Old 09-30-2005, 06:39 AM

Got the new tires/rims on... aaannnddd....

Originally Posted by NismoMax80
majestic_maxi
I, surely as well as others, am very interested in you case. Whatever they offer to swap for you, TEST that CAR before swapping tires. Like Nash said, they may buy auctioned shimmy ones.

This is ridiculous that they are swapping anyway. So they are content with passing your tires onto someone else????

Make sure you're keeping track of all these interactions and phone calls. Hopefully you won't have to lemon, but I would not except anything less than lightly used replacements with a guarantee of shimmy free.

You're actually quite fortunate Nissan is dealing with this. Many would have dismissed you immediately to Goodyear.

I wonder if one day we will be capable of looking back and finally knowing what caused the multiple shimmies.

I got the rims and tires on yesterday and drove it from the dealer.. On a main road i felt the d@mn shimmy at that magical number of 55!!! The Director of parts at the dealer is working with me now instead of the other techs. Anyhow, he said he drove it to 75 and felt no shimmy (previous to me picking the car up).

The shimmy is NOT on all roads but on some (if that sounds weird). I feel i should not feel this at all! Anyhow, i spoke with the Director about this and agreed that i would drive the vehicle over the weekend and call him on Monday at which point if it's still there, we'll go for a drive and hopefully he'll feel the shimmy (if it's still there).

So i guess i'm at a point of which direction to go now.... The shimmy is there at times, but not ALL times (i definitely know i'm not seeing/feeling cr@p either ). I don't believe it's a tire issue, but a suspension issue/design issue, but trying to prove that is next to impossible.

So, i spose i'll call Nissan Customer Service and update them on the situation. I'm at a point now where i'm ready to pursue getting this car bought back. I absolutely LOVE this car and not the shimmy of course, but it's getting soooooo frustrating. I've been to this dealer now coming up on what, 5 or 6 times!

As stated above, which direction to go with this?! Tell Nissan i want this thing bought back and report this to the BBB or continue this route!? As it's not there ALL the time, but enough to drive me crazy, would they be more prone to say "well, we can feel the shimmy any longer... this customer has exhausted all his resources here... blah blah blah"

Sorry folks... just venting
Old 09-30-2005, 07:32 AM
The "Other" project

All I can say is pursue ALL options, make sure that you cover everything, keep records of everything. I worked extensively with my field rep to take care of my car and....we just won't get into that now.... Just remember protect YOURSELF... because nissan does not really care.

Quick Reply: TeH SHIMMY thread