6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2004, 11:17 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Question

My check engine light is on. I was told it may be from putting in mid grade gas. Should I take it to the shop. I have ran all the mid- grade gas out and put in premium. Light still on.
Old 11-01-2004, 12:10 AM

Did you just install a new intake? Sometimes the check engine light comes on after the install.
Old 11-01-2004, 01:18 AM

Did you disconnect the battery for any reason i.e. connecting audio/video system?? also My popps had the same problem with his altima 3.5 putting garbage gas in it but his light went off when he upgraded the octaine to 93. No problems with my maxima been using premium since day 1.
Old 11-01-2004, 04:08 AM

take it to auto zone and have them tell you what the code is for FREE
Old 11-01-2004, 09:45 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

No I didn't do anything other than use the mid-grade gas. This happened before and I took it to Nissan and they said it was because of my gas cap not being tightened until it clicks. I tried that this time, but it didn't work.
Old 11-01-2004, 09:48 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by mistorye
No I didn't do anything other than use the mid-grade gas. This happened before and I took it to Nissan and they said it was because of my gas cap not being tightened until it clicks. I tried that this time, but it didn't work.
That happened to me once in my other car... the donkey attendant (f'ing Jersey ) didn't tighten the cap properly and the CEL light came on. I stopped the car and checked and found the cap improperly closed and took care of it. It still took 3 whole days before the light went out... I almost took the car to the shop...
Old 11-01-2004, 09:55 AM
SuPeRmOd

our car is not supposed to even run w/o cap tightened properly (i thought). mid grade is ok for our car. you may experience pinging until it adjusts itself properly. it is designed for Permium and will perform best with it. That's why it is Prefered but not required.

I would try Auto Zone for codes. although they MAY not be up to date yet with our car.

Then go to dealer and demand they test it.

suggestion (most threads are a QUESTION) you should include what you are posting about for better help. just add a "?"
Old 11-01-2004, 10:11 AM

Just my 2 cents, but I've had my 04 Max for over a yr and have always used 87 octane in it, and I have never had the check engine light come on. Just thought I'd throw that in there
Old 11-01-2004, 10:39 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I had the check engine light on after a few hundred miles. Brought it to the dealer. It was a CO2 sensor.
Old 11-01-2004, 11:48 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Ok guys thanks alot for everything...hey I'm a female who knows nothing about cars and I have a husband who doesn't know either, but I love my car and don't want anything to happen to it. I'll take it in...I have just recieved the recall notice also, so I'll get both things taken care of.
Old 11-01-2004, 12:18 PM
SuPeRmOd

Ok guys thanks alot for everything...hey I'm a female who knows nothing about cars and I have a husband who doesn't know either, but I love my car and don't want anything to happen to it. I'll take it in...I have just recieved the recall notice also, so I'll get both things taken care of.
Welcome. if you read as much as you can on this site, you will learn a lot. I know I have. Sad, but hopefully the dealer didn't feed you the bs b/c you're a woman. Very understandable about your love for this car, so easy.
Old 11-01-2004, 02:49 PM

I have Maxima friends who have never used anything but regular gas in their Maximas, and this has never caused a 'check engine' light to appear. After the first three years, I always switch from premium to midgrade gas for my Maximas, and I have never had a 'check engine' light on any Maxima I have ever owned.

Using midgrade gas in a Maxima will not cause a 'check engine' light unless something else is also wrong with the car. If switching to premium causes the 'check engine' light to go out, you have not 'fixed' the problem; you have just masked it.
Old 11-01-2004, 03:11 PM

My check engine light is on. I was told it may be from putting in mid grade gas. Should I take it to the shop. I have ran all the mid- grade gas out and put in premium. Light still on.
I think it was an improperly tightened gas cap. Had the same thing happen with my BMW, it set off the "Pay the dealer 100 bucks to reset it" Light.

I just remember that with the BMW, if the gas cap was not fully tightened, took a few days and a few starts to automatically reset the light. I use 89 octane from time to time and Premium is not always needed. That will not set off the check engine light, will just retard timing lowering the octane and watching for ping. Personally, I say give it a few days, make sure the cap is tightned and let us know how it goes, if it stays on for longer than 3 days, take it to the dealer. Yep, Autozone will give you a free code reading. How many miles are on the car? Could be a bad O2 sensor, but imagine most 04 Maxima's do not have that many miles on them yet....but you never know. Anyway, hopefully, a few days and few more starts, should clear out by itself, keep us updated.
Old 11-01-2004, 11:06 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

check engine light on

My max has 20235 miles on it.