6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

So where is the Torque Steer everyone complains about?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2004, 05:10 PM

So where is the Torque Steer everyone complains about?

Will be 4 weeks this Friday with my 05 Maxima, and I gotta say that I have yet to experience Torque steer with this car yet? I accelerated out of an easy pass toll both today going toward the Lincoln tunnel and floored it from 15mph, and the wheel stayed steady and pointed in the direction I wanted to travel in.

I have read 90% of this entire board, and a lot of people complained about torque steer. Many online publications listed torque steer as a negative. I'm sorry, im just not experiencing this problem.

Anyone else not having a TS problem with this car?
Old 11-23-2004, 05:21 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

i only experiance it during hard acceleration from a dead stop
Old 11-23-2004, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by MaxMus
Will be 4 weeks this Friday with my 05 Maxima, and I gotta say that I have yet to experience Torque steer with this car yet? I accelerated out of an easy pass toll both today going toward the Lincoln tunnel and floored it from 15mph, and the wheel stayed steady and pointed in the direction I wanted to travel in.

I have read 90% of this entire board, and a lot of people complained about torque steer. Many online publications listed torque steer as a negative. I'm sorry, im just not experiencing this problem.

Try pushing the pedal down, ALL THE WAY....

Try making a right hand turn and pushing the pedal down. You will than know what I mean. I imagine you have only owned it for 4 weeks and are taking caution to break it in, hit 1500 miles and hammer it....you will know what they mean. Do not attempt this with one hand on the wheel though.
Old 11-23-2004, 05:45 PM

carcus, I have 1600 miles on my baby already. I have made a right hand turn, and pushed the pedal about 75% down, and did not feel any torque steer.

Maybe my car is defective.
Old 11-23-2004, 05:51 PM

Take off hard with the wheel off center and you will feel it...unless Nissan has made a major change in a months time.

Banditman
Old 11-23-2004, 06:31 PM

Using a usually crowded areas for a test like that is not good. The tunnel is like 50 yards away from the toll booths....I think you need more room than that to accelerate the car for a test on a known problem.

By the way, I'm in Jersey City too...what part are you from?
Old 11-24-2004, 01:46 PM

I have felt it and it scared the hell out of me. Its like being in the drivers seat when you ride with someone who has a car with a lot of power and you feel that pulling feeling and your stomach drops to your feet except your car pulls to the right. I didn't even floor mine and felt it. My car has 790 miles and I got the first batch of 05's that came out the first week of Sept 05. You feel it even more if you have a intake and exhaust. I wish it had all wheel drive.
Old 11-24-2004, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by 3.5 Lover
I have felt it and it scared the hell out of me. Its like being in the drivers seat when you ride with someone who has a car with a lot of power and you feel that pulling feeling and your stomach drops to your feet except your car pulls to the right. I didn't even floor mine and felt it.
I feel it all the time, but I've gotten used to the pedal now. The first couple of times the car almost got away from me because I didn't know... Scary.

My car has 790 miles and I got the first batch of 05's that came out the first week of Sept 05. You feel it even more if you have a intake and exhaust. I wish it had all wheel drive.
Damn... I wish I had a car from the future. j/k
Old 11-24-2004, 02:22 PM

Did I say I had all-wheel drive , Just wanted to make sure I didn't post that big lie. I guess we can all drive like school teachers and hold the wheel at 9 o'clock with your left hand and 3 o'clock with your right until the torque steer goes away.
Old 11-24-2004, 02:24 PM

Did I say I had all-wheel drive , Just wanted to make sure I didn't post that big lie. I guess we can all drive like school teachers and hold the wheel at 9 o'clock with your left hand and 3 o'clock with your right until the torque steer goes away.
Actually I was talking about this:

My car has 790 miles and I got the first batch of 05's that came out the first week of Sept 05
Old 11-24-2004, 02:35 PM

The last quote I made was just a joke about all-wheel drive. We get cars kinda late here in Northern VA. They still haven't gotten the SE-R Altima in stock in Springfield, VA. The people in California seem to get everything first when it comes to cars.
Old 11-24-2004, 02:45 PM

The torque steer is real, but it isn't as bad as some people like to say it is. In fact, it doesn't bother me from a stop unless I really really hammer it (which I seldom ever do), but I do have to admit it has made me gulp a few times when I pulled put to pass at highway speeds and it pulled me back to the right (where the car I was passing happened to be). A firm grip on the wheel is all it takes to pull it back, but it can take the unaware by surprise.

Is it a deal-breaker? Well, I think we have already decided a long time ago it isn't. But virtually all front wheel drive cars have it ... some worse than others.

Mike
Old 11-24-2004, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by Mike_TX
Is it a deal-breaker? Well, I think we have already decided a long time ago it isn't. But virtually all front wheel drive cars have it ... some worse than others.

Mike

exactly. my GA had it and so does our GTP. ive driven FWD cars since i got my license, with exception to my TA and truck. but its something ive come to expect from a FWD
Old 11-24-2004, 03:11 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Mike_TX
The torque steer is real, but it isn't as bad as some people like to say it is. In fact, it doesn't bother me from a stop unless I really really hammer it (which I seldom ever do), but I do have to admit it has made me gulp a few times when I pulled put to pass at highway speeds and it pulled me back to the right (where the car I was passing happened to be). A firm grip on the wheel is all it takes to pull it back, but it can take the unaware by

Mike

Mike, I agree with you that torque steer is present at many speeds, not simply from a dead stop. In my 04SL, it is very noticeable when I hit it hard around 30 mph.
Old 11-24-2004, 03:38 PM

They say all FWD cars have it. The more HP and Torque you have the worst it gets especially if your car doesn't have limited slip. That seems to help a bit but doesn't stop it.
Old 11-24-2004, 05:44 PM

I have never really experienced it and I have had my ride since 4/03 when they first came out... And YES - I HAMMER mine weekly with lots of mods...
Old 11-24-2004, 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by JiuJitsuThug
I have never really experienced it and I have had my ride since 4/03 when they first came out... And YES - I HAMMER mine weekly with lots of mods...

O.K., find a nice wide road without cars on it, and stomp on it with both hands OFF the steering wheel--then tell us if it goes straight ahead.
Old 11-25-2004, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by lobewiper
O.K., find a nice wide road without cars on it, and stomp on it with both hands OFF the steering wheel--then tell us if it goes straight ahead.

Now that's going a little too far. I wouldn't do that with any car, regardless of which wheels are drivng the vehicle.

I did another test where I did give it a little more gas, and it did pull to the right slightly. I wasn't fighting the wheel, I just simply moved it to the left a little and I was fine. I guess i'm not complaining about the TS because my 2000 had terrible TS. It was so bad that I sworn to never buy another FWD vehicle again, that is until I test drove the 6th Gen, and it didn't behave like my 5th Gen.

I have yet to feel it though cruising at highway speeds where I needed to quickly make a pass.

Who has the VDC and TC package in their cars and still has the torque steer?
Old 11-25-2004, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by [ACE]
Using a usually crowded areas for a test like that is not good. The tunnel is like 50 yards away from the toll booths....I think you need more room than that to accelerate the car for a test on a known problem.

By the way, I'm in Jersey City too...what part are you from?
I'm in the Greenville section, or right off of Exit 14B on the NJ Turnpike if you're familiar with that area. Glad to see another JC Max owner.
Old 11-25-2004, 10:46 AM

im from around jersey city also, well about 30 minutes away, im in river edge, next to paramus... n westwood, around there. Used to live in north bergen down in 67th street. Had to get out of there, getting worse n worse daily. so now i live up here, n yea, im also always happy to race/see/talk to another 6th gen maxima owner
Old 11-25-2004, 07:12 PM

I'm in the Greenville section, or right off of Exit 14B on the NJ Turnpike if you're familiar with that area. Glad to see another JC Max owner.
I run my own construction company and am finishing building my second 2-family home in Greenville (On Claremont Ave.)

I still don't have my 04 Maxima...I should have it either tomorrow or the day after...I've been reading up here for a few weeks now and can't wait.
Old 11-26-2004, 09:13 AM

I guess i'm not complaining about the TS because my 2000 had terrible TS. It was so bad that I sworn to never buy another FWD vehicle again, that is until I test drove the 6th Gen, and it didn't behave like my 5th Gen.
2000 5gen has very little to none TS. It only noticable when take off from a dead stop with both hand off the steering, and can be corrected with very little effort. can't feel anything abnormal WOT at highway speed what i usually do. It's time to switch to RWD after hp climbs over 250.
Old 11-26-2004, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by 00Max00
2000 5gen has very little to none TS. It only noticable when take off from a dead stop with both hand off the steering, and can be corrected with very little effort. can't feel anything abnormal WOT at highway speed what i usually do. It's time to switch to RWD after hp climbs over 250.
I gotta disagree with you. With my 2000, I will always remeber exiting the EZ-Pass booth (15 mph) and then stomping on it, then fighting the wheel to get it straight. With the 05, I feel a slight tug, and then I straighten the wheel and i'm back on course.
Old 11-26-2004, 11:30 AM

STOMPED on it again this morning - NO torque steer. Ripped a sick 1/4 mile though

Maybe I have more forearm strength from watching too much **** LOL
Old 11-26-2004, 11:42 AM

i'm just curious, the people who are experiencing this torque steer issue, do you have VDC on your vehicle or not?
Old 11-26-2004, 12:03 PM

i'm just curious, the people who are experiencing this torque steer issue, do you have VDC on your vehicle or not?
No VDC here, but obviously it helps. There have been posts before about that as well... people with VDC usually have minimal torque steer compared to people without.
Old 11-26-2004, 12:36 PM

No VDC here.....might be part of the problem I imagine.
Old 11-26-2004, 01:08 PM

Well, brothers and sisters, I have VDC. And guess what? I also have TORQUE STEER!
Old 11-26-2004, 01:14 PM

Well, brothers and sisters, I have VDC. And guess what? I also have TORQUE STEER!
Well the issue is not whether or not you have it, because you will -- all FWD cars do, but it's just more noticeable with the Maxima because of all the power in the front. If you feel it now with VDC, you should see what it's like without it...

I've grown used to it though, and I sort-of like it... it reminds me that there's a lot of juice that the car is anxious to get to the ground.

It's a pain sometimes though, especially because my other car is RWD... takes some getting used to when I go from one car to the other.
Old 11-26-2004, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by viguera
Well the issue is not whether or not you have it, because you will -- all FWD cars do, but it's just more noticeable with the Maxima because of all the power in the front. If you feel it now with VDC, you should see what it's like without it...

Not sure I want to try it w/o VDC--it's a handful with it turned on...
Old 11-26-2004, 05:04 PM

Why would you floor the car with your hands not on the wheels? thats completely retarded!!!! I wouldnt expect for the car to go perfectly straight without any guidance.
Old 11-26-2004, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by Glude
Why would you floor the car with your hands not on the wheels? thats completely retarded!!!! I wouldnt expect for the car to go perfectly straight without any guidance.

All scientifc studies involve a certain degree of risk...
Old 11-27-2004, 12:04 AM

I still have not experienced torque steer, and I just returned from a 1500 mile trip over mostly lightly-travelled roads where there were many times I would be cruising along with traffic between 80 and 85 mph, then pull out to pass, flooring it at the same time. The car instantly jumps up over 100 mph with mimimal effort and ruckus. And no torque steer.

I do have VDC and TCS, and have driven nothing but Maximas since they changed to front wheel drive with the '85 model. Perhaps I am so used to the feel of the Maxima I am no longer conscious of whatever torque steer may be there.

I have never experimented by taking my hands off the wheel. In fact, I particularly noticed on this trip that I automatically hold the wheel very tightly whenever I make any maneuver, returning to the one-hand light fingertip touch when simply moving straight.

My son (sports car afficianado) said he notices torque steer much more in the 6 speed Maxima than in the auto, and only notices it at low speed when turning sharply and accelerating vigorously at the same time. I plan to pay closer attention whenever I am in that situation.

Maybe I have TS and don't realize it. Maybe its like halitosis or dandruff; others are aware I have them before I am. Maybe mine is simply a case of 'ignorance is bliss'.
Old 11-27-2004, 12:51 AM

I agree with the guy who started this thread....the problem with TS is WAY overrated and is nowhere near as bad as some folks and the rags make it out to be. I drive this car every day and it has never been a problem.
Old 11-27-2004, 05:34 AM

Originally Posted by lightonthehill
I still have not experienced torque steer, and I just returned from a 1500 mile trip over mostly lightly-travelled roads where there were many times I would be cruising along with traffic between 80 and 85 mph, then pull out to pass, flooring it at the same time. The car instantly jumps up over 100 mph with mimimal effort and ruckus. And no torque steer.

I do have VDC and TCS, and have driven nothing but Maximas since they changed to front wheel drive with the '85 model. Perhaps I am so used to the feel of the Maxima I am no longer conscious of whatever torque steer may be there.

Maybe I have TS and don't realize it. Maybe its like halitosis or dandruff; others are aware I have them before I am. Maybe mine is simply a case of 'ignorance is bliss'.

Well, I have never seen so many drivers apparently afflicted with TSD (Torque Steer Denial). Seriously, I think Light is correct when he says, "Perhaps I am so used to the feel of the Maxima I am no longer conscious of whatever torque steer may be there." I myself seldom notice it now except when accelerating hard--typically from a dead stop. It is not an issue for me and does not affect my admiration and appreciation for the car. But--at least in my car--it exists and is real!
Old 11-27-2004, 06:54 AM

Well, I have never seen so many drivers apparently afflicted with TSD (Torque Steer Denial). Seriously, I think Light is correct when he says, "Perhaps I am so used to the feel of the Maxima I am no longer conscious of whatever torque steer may be there." I myself seldom notice it now except when accelerating hard--typically from a dead stop. It is not an issue for me and does not affect my admiration and appreciation for the car. But--at least in my car--it exists and is real!
It (TS) exists here too, but only under certain conditions/situations. I just know how to handle it after a few months with the car.

Bob
Old 11-27-2004, 08:49 AM

I notice it too, on rare occasions. Again as the other posters have noted, low speeds wheel turned, foot heavy on the gas.

Now that the country is blanketed in snow I doubt I'll notice it. I'm going to have to moderate my use of the right pedal.