6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

MAX Performance!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2004, 05:37 PM
Banned

MAX Performance!!!

After 8.6K+ miles on "THE MAX", I must admit that it performs even better after it's broken in. Everytime I hit the gas now, THE MAX "begs" me to hit it a little harder {kinda like your old girlfriend use to ask for it back in the day--lol!!! }

Anyway, what do you guys think? Concur or Non-concur?
Old 11-19-2004, 06:58 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Methinks you haven't even gotten the max out of it yet. 8.6k is nothing.
Old 11-19-2004, 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by JClaw
Yeah, talk to us when you break 20k.

Mike
Old 11-19-2004, 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by Mike_TX
Yeah, talk to us when you break 20k.

Mike
LOL. 20K. I have 1400 on my car now and it's frickin fast. I can't imagine this car getting any faster.
Old 11-20-2004, 06:40 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Front Strut Tower Bar

Who sells front strut tower bars?

Also, any good shops in the DC/Northern VA area?

Thanks!
Old 11-20-2004, 07:08 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by kart1961

Thanks!

It would benefit you more if you started your own thread about the strut bar. Embedding it w/in another thread like this, you run the risk of not everyone seeing it because it's under a totally different subject...
Old 11-20-2004, 07:34 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by JClaw
Right right...gotcha. But my point was simply that it's performance is improving as the engine & tranny are "loosening up"... Be it 8600 miles or 100K miles... I've had my 6th Gen MAX for as long as, or in some cases, longer than most of you, just don't take the long trips (not that I don't mind putting the MAX on the highway to "breathe" every once in awhile...but the debris and stuff that trucks & other vehicles kick up off the pavement onto my front end isn't much to be desired when I pull in my driveway and count the dings)... My daily commute is 2 miles down the road on base (Davis-Monthan Air Force Base) and I was deployed for almost 4 months...thus, my mileage is unusually low for owning a car for over a year... I've always prided myself in keeping mileage low to boost trade-in value... My trips around Tucson are really short as well...everything's close... Tucson totes that it's one of the nation's major "cities", but being that I'm from NJ/NY/Philly/DC area, it's nothing but a "big town" to me...no real far away traveling unless I have to go to Phoenix for something... Plus, I really don't let the wife drive the MAX much anymore...

Anyway, you guys never answered my question. Just how much better from 0 miles to the 20K+ miles (that you guys are so proud of) is your MAX performing? The veterans that you all are, I would hope you would have much to comment on this...
Old 11-20-2004, 07:55 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by kart1961

Thanks!
Go to the DC area forum
Old 11-20-2004, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by hofb99
Just how much better from 0 miles to the 20K+ miles (that you guys are so proud of) is your MAX performing?
I'd say 3.46%, hof. Naw, just kiddin'. Actually, I was just pullin' your chain for having such low miles.

I don't track my car, so I can't tell you anything specific. But it does run at least as well as it did when new, and my mileage keeps getting better. For instance, ny driving habits haven't changed a bit and my in-town mixed driving has gone from 21.5 to 23.1mpg on average. That alone tells me the car is running better, or at least more efficiently. It still won't take my BMW 540i, but it'll leave most other cars at stoplights.

Mike

p.s.: How did you get back from the Middle East after only 4 months?
Old 11-20-2004, 12:18 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Mike_TX
I'd say 3.46%, hof. Naw, just kiddin'. Actually, I was just pullin' your chain for having such low miles.

I don't track my car, so I can't tell you anything specific. But it does run at least as well as it did when new, and my mileage keeps getting better. For instance, ny driving habits haven't changed a bit and my in-town mixed driving has gone from 21.5 to 23.1mpg on average. That alone tells me the car is running better, or at least more efficiently. It still won't take my BMW 540i, but it'll leave most other cars at stoplights.

Mike

p.s.: How did you get back from the Middle East after only 4 months?
For most of the AF that's deployed, we do "rotations"...normally anywhere from 3 months to 8 months... For the most part, we don't deploy as long as the Army or Marines... We're mainly air support, so there's no need for us to do a long tour of duty over there like they do...although, there are still those that deploy for very long times and believe you me, we do our share. Still is not a fun thing for us though... We're not sleeping in trenches and going weeks w/o a shower like some Army/Marines units, but we do rough it and are w/o everday conveniences and separated from our loved ones nonetheless...in other words, it's NOT FUN and we're still in hostile fighting areas...sometimes right w/ the Army/Marines...

Anyway, hope that answers your question. Of course, I can't reveal too much in a public forum like this...you can understand.

As far as my car's mileage... When I took my last roadtrip to Phoenix the other week, I reset my FUEL ECON and noticed while cruising on I-10 that I was averaging nearly 30 mpg! Amazing! That is until I started hitting the 90 - 100 mph range...then it started to creep down a little (around 26 - 28 mpg). But all-in-all, THE MAX has been performing well... Just wish I could eclipse the 16 mpg mark when driving around Tucson...it sucks!!! lol

P.S. What year is your 540i? And just how many horses does it have? I remember renting a 318i over in Germany one time (1998) and borrowing my buddy's 330 and they weren't really very fast @ all (to me)... Now when I drove a Volvo T4, that thing snapped my head back...(maybe because it was turbo)...I hit about 125 mph on the autobahn and it wasn't anywhere near halfway to redline. Don't get me wrong. I ABSOLUTELY LOVE BMW's fit/finish and exterior styling (some of the auto industry's best exterior styling in my book), but I think they're over-priced for what they have to offer and the interior is what really turns me off. Anyway...just my opinion... So what year and horses? Want to look it up, just for my edification... Thanks!
Old 11-20-2004, 01:07 PM

First of all, welcome back from the sand box hofb99, I am also an AF guy. Enjoy spending your well earned compat pay and the tax return you will be getting in Jan! Hopefully you will not get into a fender bender off of Speedway or on Craycroft....spent 5 years stationed at DM....would love to go back.....anyway, back on topic....

I have almost 5k miles on my 04 Max so far, farthest trip I took was about 1800 miles round trip for the base hurricane Ivan evac. Seems like the car is the same as new. I still have too little miles to judge if the engine loosened up, what I can tell you is that my milage has increased ALOT over the first 2000 miles I put on the car, I was getting 17MPG city average then, now over 20 in the city. Hope this helps.

Again, welcome back, been TDY to the Middle East for over a year total in tents, Dhahran, Ali Al Salem, Al Udeid, all them friggin tent cities look the same, am I not right....LOL.
Old 11-25-2004, 01:41 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by carcus
First of all, welcome back from the sand box hofb99, I am also an AF guy. Enjoy spending your well earned compat pay and the tax return you will be getting in Jan! Hopefully you will not get into a fender bender off of Speedway or on Craycroft....spent 5 years stationed at DM....would love to go back.....anyway, back on topic....

I have almost 5k miles on my 04 Max so far, farthest trip I took was about 1800 miles round trip for the base hurricane Ivan evac. Seems like the car is the same as new. I still have too little miles to judge if the engine loosened up, what I can tell you is that my milage has increased ALOT over the first 2000 miles I put on the car, I was getting 17MPG city average then, now over 20 in the city. Hope this helps.

Again, welcome back, been TDY to the Middle East for over a year total in tents, Dhahran, Ali Al Salem, Al Udeid, all them friggin tent cities look the same, am I not right....LOL.
Yeah, that was my second trip to paradise... Was one of the first "settlers" of Al Udeid right after 9/11 happened... Things are much better there now (as far as accomodations).

So, where did you work on D-M? I'm currently @ 612 ACOMS. Getting ready to PCS back "home" to the East Coast soon. I spent 7 yrs @ Andrews AFB ('91-'98), now I'm heading to the Pentagon (hopefully to retire and settle in VA somewhere).

So what makes you want to come back here? There's absolutely nothing that makes me want to stay...other than the weather (dry weather is good on the MAX) and my wife's position @ her current job. Summer's heat in AZ is starting to wear me down now though... I love summer weather, but 100+ degrees everyday is a beat down! It's not really that bad all-in-all, but I'm starting to miss the East Coast in the worst way... Where you originally from?
Old 11-25-2004, 11:03 AM

25K on mine and she pulls harder than ever! At least that what my butt dyno tells me
Old 11-26-2004, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by hofb99
Yeah, that was my second trip to paradise... Was one of the first "settlers" of Al Udeid right after 9/11 happened... Things are much better there now (as far as accomodations).

So, where did you work on D-M? I'm currently @ 612 ACOMS. Getting ready to PCS back "home" to the East Coast soon. I spent 7 yrs @ Andrews AFB ('91-'98), now I'm heading to the Pentagon (hopefully to retire and settle in VA somewhere).

So what makes you want to come back here? There's absolutely nothing that makes me want to stay...other than the weather (dry weather is good on the MAX) and my wife's position @ her current job. Summer's heat in AZ is starting to wear me down now though... I love summer weather, but 100+ degrees everyday is a beat down! It's not really that bad all-in-all, but I'm starting to miss the East Coast in the worst way... Where you originally from?
I know what you mean about the heat....was probably with you in Al-Udeid, deployed there first week of November after 9/11. Was stationed at Mountain Home then. At DM I was there from 93-98. Worked with 612 Combat Ops squadron, than for 12AF, finally for the 355 Wing Command Post.....currently a Instructor at Keesler Air Force Base....5 years till time to retire, counting every one.

Last time I was on the east coast was Ft Devens in 1990. Been along time. I am from Cali origionally so miss the west coast.

There is an opening for me at the Pentagon now, up for reassignment....the east coast is just too expensive for me....and the traffic.
Old 11-26-2004, 12:52 PM
my rear view mirrors flap like a f-ing bird

wow guys I just bought my 2004 and with 40 miles on it it feels powerful. I can't wait for the brake in.
Old 11-26-2004, 05:01 PM

had 5k miles on my 04 before getting the 05 and it dynoed at 5k miles 218whp & 232tq
Old 11-27-2004, 02:00 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by carcus
I know what you mean about the heat....was probably with you in Al-Udeid, deployed there first week of November after 9/11. Was stationed at Mountain Home then. At DM I was there from 93-98. Worked with 612 Combat Ops squadron, than for 12AF, finally for the 355 Wing Command Post.....currently a Instructor at Keesler Air Force Base....5 years till time to retire, counting every one.

Last time I was on the east coast was Ft Devens in 1990. Been along time. I am from Cali origionally so miss the west coast.

There is an opening for me at the Pentagon now, up for reassignment....the east coast is just too expensive for me....and the traffic.
Wow, that's amazing, carcus! We got to Al Udeid the last part of Oct '01... We were on call for like 1 1/2 months prior to finally leaving! It was crazy...but great experience to be part of a team that had to answer the call when the time came--we really bonded over there... I also have a little less than 5 yrs to go... When did you join the AF? I joined Jan '89...we could've been @ basic or tech school together... Man, I would hate to do instructor duty... Did you volunteer for it? Are you a 3C0? Seems we have some things in common...most important, WE BOTH LOVE THE MAX!!! Holla back!
Old 11-27-2004, 02:02 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 6thGenMax
had 5k miles on my 04 before getting the 05 and it dynoed at 5k miles 218whp & 232tq
Why did you jump into an 05 if you already had an 04? Curious...
Old 11-27-2004, 04:32 PM

problems & only 29 bucks a month more, why not special ordered too