6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.
View Poll Results: Would you be interested in a supercharger for around $3500?
Yes
81.97%
No
18.03%
Voters: 122. You may not vote on this poll

Supercharger Kit Interest

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2004, 03:28 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

What are the odds gthe engine or manual trans will fail? I think Im gonna rolls that dice and go with the SC.
Old 12-05-2004, 03:32 PM

SSR- this S/C will be available for the 5 and 4 speed auto too right????
Old 12-05-2004, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by steaLthyMax
Notice the smilie, to indicate the sarcasm. I do not expect the dealer to uphold the warranty if I have a s/c bolted on. However, one can still try to have the problematic area fixed, and the worse they can say is no. I would think someone would take off the S/C before they go see the dealer, and wouldn't even mention it. BTW, Tranny warranties are 5y/60k.
I stand corrected! But seriously, let's suppose you have a supercharger installed. Do you think that you could take it to a dealer for ANY repair without its being noticed? Are you going to remove it before every warranty repair? I would think the dealer would note its presence and place it in your car's permanent record. If that happened, couldn't it come back and bite you?
Old 12-05-2004, 04:52 PM

the idea of a supercharger is good but for the price I guess I just can't justify the thrill to price ratio. for the same price I can turbo my bike and get 280 hp at the rear wheel and have a hell of a thrill. If it could be sold for around 2500 I'd be more interested.
Old 12-05-2004, 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by lobewiper
I stand corrected! But seriously, let's suppose you have a supercharger installed. Do you think that you could take it to a dealer for ANY repair without its being noticed? Are you going to remove it before every warranty repair? I would think the dealer would note its presence and place it in your car's permanent record. If that happened, couldn't it come back and bite you?
That's why it pays to have mechanic friends. But in reality, yes it would be quite a pain to remove it everytime I had to get work done on the car. If and when I do take my car in for service, it won't be to a dealer, that's for sure. Yes, it could come back and bite me, but if the tranny failed because of the s/c, I would surely go back to N/A.
Old 12-05-2004, 08:17 PM

If you look at it from the perspective of dollars per horsepower, supercharging may seem more favorable. One of the most efficient mods in the air intake, which arguably is 6-12 horsepower for around 200-300 bucks, is less than $50 per hp. The SC is $3500 for 100 hp which is $35 per hp. Not a bad deal. Start saving those pennies!!!! BTW, do u really want 280 hp on a bike???????????
Old 12-06-2004, 04:45 AM

Originally Posted by DeusExMaxima
If you look at it from the perspective of dollars per horsepower, supercharging may seem more favorable. One of the most efficient mods in the air intake, which arguably is 6-12 horsepower for around 200-300 bucks, is less than $50 per hp. The SC is $3500 for 100 hp which is $35 per hp. Not a bad deal. Start saving those pennies!!!! BTW, do u really want 280 hp on a bike???????????

yeah I do... if I had the cash right now I would do it. Speed and accleration is addicting and not that I need anymore of it now (my bike still scares me)
but it still would be cool to have that much hp and be able to pull a wheelie at 100mph+ just by twisting the wrist
Old 12-06-2004, 06:24 AM

Originally Posted by fstbusa
it still would be cool to have that much hp and be able to pull a wheelie at 100mph+ just by twisting the wrist
Motorcyclists - doing their part to help prove Darwin's theory of natural selection.

-Nate
Old 12-06-2004, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by Souljourner
Motorcyclists - doing their part to help prove Darwin's theory of natural selection.

-Nate
got that right.
Old 12-06-2004, 04:27 PM

We dont know that its going to boost performance 100 whp reliably but if so then im sold. I think I need to start saving.
Old 12-08-2004, 12:05 AM

Im saving. SSR - Any further word on production of SC?
Old 12-08-2004, 12:50 AM
MK3 Supra and Focus ST

Good luck guys! Hope this works out for you all (and my 2k2 someday)!
Old 12-09-2004, 10:18 AM

I think it would be nice to have a "max" sleeper. No badges. Nothing that looks "non-stock". Just that "suction/whine" of the s/c on take off

So I would be interested if it's easy to bolt on and off. No computer mod (ECU flashing or piggyback). No new injectors (more cc).

I just went through hell for trying to configure a Toyota and TRD dropped the parts, and support, for my truck year (Toyota and emission gimmicks screwed me). I don't want to get any expectations so even if you do make it, I will wait, watch and learn as others put it to the street.

And is this like one of those "hair-dryer" blowers? Like Paxton? A turbine impellor versus a roots-style compressor? Can they really give that much horsies? (100hp) And are we sure there won't be some chip-flashing to compensate for the addition fuel lean?
Old 12-09-2004, 10:33 AM
A couple of Blaxxx's? Lawls.

boost builds with rpm, seeing the maximum at the top of the rpm band.

it is like a hair dryer type. i have seen aprroximately 100hp boost on my 4th gen.
Old 12-13-2004, 10:45 PM
jonniewaka

does the supercahrger damage or mess up anything in the engine??shortens life time??if adding 100 HP to the engine must do some over driveing in the engine wise..

Old 12-19-2004, 03:01 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

All depends on how you drive it.....there's always a chance of internal damage...
Old 12-20-2004, 03:38 AM

How does a supercharger affect gas mileage?
Old 01-03-2005, 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by lobewiper
How does a supercharger affect gas mileage?
that's easy! heavy foot, quick to burn. light on the foot, light on the burn. SC works on induction so, the faster the engine gets gas, the faster the SC works. ofcourse, there is a question of lean and detonation, but the ECU and MAF stuff usually handles that...

But figure this, you want to go fast? You pay at the pump.

(never seen a fast car get good mileage...cept a Z05 vette...ofcourse...it was parked most of the time...!)
Old 01-05-2005, 08:32 PM

[b]i'm Interested In Buying One Tooo.
Old 01-05-2005, 09:09 PM
Unsuccesful STL Coordinator

I might have missed it but I didn't see a reply to the question of would this fit a 2002-2003 with minor modifications? I would be interested if it did.
Old 02-25-2005, 08:08 AM

Yeah, old thread but there's new votes every day...

I wonder how many votes are needed to get SSR interested in this...

At least they have that 5-5.5 gen turbo thing in the works, so maybe there's hope for us 6th gen people...
Old 02-25-2005, 08:22 PM

I Would Love To Purchase A Kit
Old 02-26-2005, 08:12 AM
Banned

Well, everyone is talking about torque steer, and how 300 is the upper limit for FWD cars...so whats going to happen if there is 365 horses twisting the wheel now? I mean, would it increase torque to the point the car would be a joke to handle?
Old 02-27-2005, 01:14 PM

thats a joke I would be willing to take on..........
Old 02-28-2005, 12:04 AM
A couple of Blaxxx's? Lawls.

Originally Posted by 04BlackMaxx
Well, everyone is talking about torque steer, and how 300 is the upper limit for FWD cars...so whats going to happen if there is 365 horses twisting the wheel now? I mean, would it increase torque to the point the car would be a joke to handle?
it doesnt

honestly, if you have the stock differential, its not too bad, but if you have an lsd, its great.
Old 02-28-2005, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by 04BlackMaxx
I think the torque steer in the max is most noticeable from a standstill. And as it is, launching the car properly is a pain because there's just so much juice in the front... if you're not careful you can end up with a lot of wheel spin and wasting all that HP goodness. Power launching is easy on a RWD car, but FWD is a whole other story...

However, what the SC would do for you is for those times when you need the juice and you're on a roll already... passing, merging, etc. With 300+ at the wheel, anything short of a serious sports car will see nothing but tail lights when they try and come up to you. And ricers everywhere will talk about "the dude in the Maxima that took my doors off on the highway"
Old 02-28-2005, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by viguera
And ricers everywhere will talk about "the dude in the Maxima that took my doors off on the highway"
uhhhhhhhh hell yea.....
Old 02-28-2005, 01:51 PM

Hey Viguera, I'm with you! Let's see even Mustangs would choke. Only the 400 + HP Saleen Mustang and that's a $10K Can upgrade, would stand a chance at keeping up. As I have said before on this forum. The Maxima uses a lot of Aluminum. Doors, Hood, Trunk, Suspension, Engine, Exhaust etc. plus a lot of composite materials, including a titanium tranny, and is equivalent in weight to a Ford Mustang Coupe with a 5 liter V8 engine! Here is a list of viable performance upgrades with minimal cost: CAI ...my preferance is AEM and Berk although there are others. UDP (pulley) free up horsepower, Free flow Cats, Round mufler Y pipe, Stronger Fuel injectors. All the previous upgrades are good enough to boost HP above 300 HP if added up without a supercharger and don't forget the dyno's on the 2005 SE are reading 280 HP at the engine. The V2 AEM CAI is good for 16 HP at the engine and around 8 at the wheels. A moded Y pipe should be around $50 to $100 installed depending on your local muffler shop. So for under $1000 installed you're talking over 300 HP (engine) before the SC. SSR is not the only company making SC's, check out the performance mags....there are 3 out there right now that make centrifugal SC's that will produce low ouput, about 40 - 60 HP safely that bolt on to the pulleys and belts and are very easy to install and are very safe for the engine and tranny (within reason...disclaimer). So you could easily be talking 330 - 360 hp. Personally 340 would be a nice number and would be reasonable to attain and manage and would be amazing on the highway! Now thats mojo!
Old 02-28-2005, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by xorbitman
Hey Viguera, I'm with you! Let's see even Mustangs would choke. Only the 400 + HP Saleen Mustang and that's a $10K Can upgrade, would stand a chance at keeping up. As I have said before on this forum. The Maxima uses a lot of Aluminum. Doors, Hood, Trunk, Suspension, Engine, Exhaust etc. plus a lot of composite materials, including a titanium tranny, and is equivalent in weight to a Ford Mustang Coupe with a 5 liter V8 engine! Here is a list of viable performance upgrades with minimal cost: CAI ...my preferance is AEM and Berk although there are others. UDP (pulley) free up horsepower, Free flow Cats, Round mufler Y pipe, Stronger Fuel injectors. All the previous upgrades are good enough to boost HP above 300 HP if added up without a supercharger and don't forget the dyno's on the 2005 SE are reading 280 HP at the engine. The V2 AEM CAI is good for 16 HP at the engine and around 8 at the wheels. A moded Y pipe should be around $50 to $100 installed depending on your local muffler shop. So for under $1000 installed you're talking over 300 HP (engine) before the SC. SSR is not the only company making SC's, check out the performance mags....there are 3 out there right now that make centrifugal SC's that will produce low ouput, about 40 - 60 HP safely that bolt on to the pulleys and belts and are very easy to install and are very safe for the engine and tranny (within reason...disclaimer). So you could easily be talking 330 - 360 hp. Personally 340 would be a nice number and would be reasonable to attain and manage and would be amazing on the highway! Now thats mojo!
Can you give us some links for these low output SC's? What company or anything?
Old 02-28-2005, 02:49 PM

Hey Viguera, I'm with you! Let's see even Mustangs would choke. Only the 400 + HP Saleen Mustang and that's a $10K Can upgrade, would stand a chance at keeping up.
Now now... let's keep this under the proper perspective... I don't mean to incite the wrath of the Max fanbois around, but as much as I love my Max, it's apples and oranges when you start throwing Mustangs into the mix. The cars are fairly close in spite of being two completely different beasts, and price-wise you're looking at the same HP/weight in spite of being coupe vs. 4-door. But still, I'd still think twice before flexing to a Mustang at the light unless I know it's a V6...

And count me in as wanting to know about these companies making superchargers for the 6th gens...
Old 10-14-2005, 07:27 AM

Here's some words of encouragement for you guys Let's get it started
Old 10-14-2005, 07:29 AM

Xorbit, I think what you mean is that we don't produce the actual Supercharger head unit which is true we do not. Just like in our turbo kits we use Turbonetics/Garrett/Precision Turbos. However we make the piping and plumbing to make it an actual kit. In the supercharger system, we will make the brackets, pulley/belt, intake, intercooler system, procharger/vortech/paxton head-unit or possibly a rotrex system, but we will produce the complete kit to bolt on to your vehicle
Old 10-14-2005, 07:37 AM
Nations 1st 6th Gen Turbo

Throw me in the soup... Hell yes...
Old 10-14-2005, 07:54 AM
Preacha

Are these superchargers available for our cars yet???

Old 10-14-2005, 08:16 AM
Play with my balls

I don't think it is, but I'd like to know the status of this. Are you still at the beginning stages SSR?
Old 10-14-2005, 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by Deckdout2
I don't think it is, but I'd like to know the status of this. Are you still at the beginning stages SSR?
Yes we are still looking for cars to prototype on, it seems if we were on the east coast we could have 20 maximas supercharged already
Old 10-14-2005, 08:34 AM
Preacha

SSR, I just found this thread and see that it goes all the way back to 2004...No progress yet? Unfortunately, I live in the East Coast too. Maybe you need to move down here...

Old 10-14-2005, 09:28 AM

I assume you need a car in Arizona for a while?
Old 10-14-2005, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by Preacha
SSR, I just found this thread and see that it goes all the way back to 2004...No progress yet? Unfortunately, I live in the East Coast too. Maybe you need to move down here...
Yes we do, we've had alot recent developments put future plans and projects on the backburner for a while, however we're willing to dedicate a large portion of our time to maxima.org members, for any project big or small.
Old 10-14-2005, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by DeusExMaxima
I assume you need a car in Arizona for a while?
Yes we would need a car in Tucson, AZ for a little while.

Quick Reply: Supercharger Kit Interest